Skip to content

Pioli and Ferentz?

The Browns Board
27 13 1.9k
  • OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by
    #4

    Not sure why a coach from the down trodden Big Ten at a middle of the road school with a middle of the road record is on the radar for NFL head coaching job.

    I'll need to learn more for it to do anything for me. Very successful college coaches have failed in the NFL (Erickson, Davis, Sabin, etc.), so why is this guy worth looking at?

    Help me.

  • W WPB Dawg Fan wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Well, Ferentz himself isn't taking the bait....yet anyway:

    Iowa football: Ferentz doesn't comment on NFL jobs

    By Randy Peterson • [email protected] • December 30, 2008

    Tampa, Fla. – Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz danced his usual verbal dance today when asked about coaching again in the NFL.

    “I’ve made a habit of not commenting on that,” Ferentz said after practice at the University of Tampa. “I’ve got a great job. I’m happy to have a great job, I’m appreciative of having a great job, and I’ve been at Iowa 10 years.

    “Not much else to say on that topic.”

    Iowa faces South Carolina in the Outback Bowl at 10 a.m. Thursday at Raymond James Stadium.

    Three NFL coaches have been fired since Sunday’s conclusion of the regular season – Romeo Crennel by Cleveland, Eric Mangini by the New York Jets, and Rod Marinelli by the Detroit Lions.

    When asked specifically if he had been contacted by Cleveland, Ferentz said:

    “Not that I know of, and I don’t expect to.”

    Ferentz is under contract through the 2012 season after being granted a one-year extension last February. He is the state’s highest-paid public employee with an annual guaranteed salary of $2.84 million.

    Ferentz interviewed for the head coaching job at Jacksonville after the 2002 season. He has been an assistant with Baltimore and the Cleveland Browns.

    ....and that's all I got to say about that.

  • Not sure why a coach from the down trodden Big Ten at a middle of the road school with a middle of the road record is on the radar for NFL head coaching job.

    I'll need to learn more for it to do anything for me. Very successful college coaches have failed in the NFL (Erickson, Davis, Sabin, etc.), so why is this guy worth looking at?

    Help me.

    Riffer XR Riffer X wrote on last edited by
    #6

    @oconrecon said:

    Not sure why a coach from the down trodden Big Ten at a middle of the road school with a middle of the road record is on the radar for NFL head coaching job.

    I'll need to learn more for it to do anything for me. Very successful college coaches have failed in the NFL (Erickson, Davis, Sabin, etc.), so why is this guy worth looking at?

    Help me.

    Because Pioli and him are boys, it's that simple.

    When you have been through the ringer with one another as young up and comers, that tends to stick in the mind.

  • @wpb-dawg-fan said:

    Interesting:

    It basically says Pioli is ours for the taking...but it likely means we get Ferentz as the HC (not McDaniels).

    I don't know much about Ferentz, or his ties in the coaching community, so have no idea what that would mean for the OC/DC positions.

    I read that too in my search of all the Boston media outlets this morning. It's pretty interesting if you look at all the talent the early 1990's Browns had here including Savage, Kirk Ferentz as OL coach, Jim Schwartz, Pioli and a few others I'm sure I'm missing. Edit: Ozzie, Nick Saban etc..

    F Fooleeze wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @titleist585 said:

    I read that too in my search of all the Boston media outlets this morning. It's pretty interesting if you look at all the talent the early 1990's Browns had here including Savage, Kirk Ferentz as OL coach, Jim Schwartz, Pioli and a few others I'm sure I'm missing. Edit: Ozzie, Nick Saban etc..

    Yes, looking back at the Belichick years, his coaching and front office staff was unreal. Ferentz, Savage, Nick Saban, Pioli, Schwartz. . . wasn't Crennel involved at one point? Ozzie Newsome was working there at that time, too, I think. There's more, I believe.

  • @titleist585 said:

    I read that too in my search of all the Boston media outlets this morning. It's pretty interesting if you look at all the talent the early 1990's Browns had here including Savage, Kirk Ferentz as OL coach, Jim Schwartz, Pioli and a few others I'm sure I'm missing. Edit: Ozzie, Nick Saban etc..

    Yes, looking back at the Belichick years, his coaching and front office staff was unreal. Ferentz, Savage, Nick Saban, Pioli, Schwartz. . . wasn't Crennel involved at one point? Ozzie Newsome was working there at that time, too, I think. There's more, I believe.

    T titleist585 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @fooleeze said:

    Yes, looking back at the Belichick years, his coaching and front office staff was unreal. Ferentz, Savage, Nick Saban, Pioli, Schwartz. . . wasn't Crennel involved at one point? Ozzie Newsome was working there at that time, too, I think. There's more, I believe.

    Yea I was looking at old team photos. Jim Bates as well. Al Groh.

  • @titleist585 said:

    I read that too in my search of all the Boston media outlets this morning. It's pretty interesting if you look at all the talent the early 1990's Browns had here including Savage, Kirk Ferentz as OL coach, Jim Schwartz, Pioli and a few others I'm sure I'm missing. Edit: Ozzie, Nick Saban etc..

    Yes, looking back at the Belichick years, his coaching and front office staff was unreal. Ferentz, Savage, Nick Saban, Pioli, Schwartz. . . wasn't Crennel involved at one point? Ozzie Newsome was working there at that time, too, I think. There's more, I believe.

    T titleist585 wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @fooleeze said:

    Yes, looking back at the Belichick years, his coaching and front office staff was unreal. Ferentz, Savage, Nick Saban, Pioli, Schwartz. . . wasn't Crennel involved at one point? Ozzie Newsome was working there at that time, too, I think. There's more, I believe.

    Mangini..

  • @oconrecon said:

    Not sure why a coach from the down trodden Big Ten at a middle of the road school with a middle of the road record is on the radar for NFL head coaching job.

    I'll need to learn more for it to do anything for me. Very successful college coaches have failed in the NFL (Erickson, Davis, Sabin, etc.), so why is this guy worth looking at?

    Help me.

    Because Pioli and him are boys, it's that simple.

    When you have been through the ringer with one another as young up and comers, that tends to stick in the mind.

    OconReconO OconRecon wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @riffer-x said:

    Because Pioli and him are boys, it's that simple.

    When you have been through the ringer with one another as young up and comers, that tends to stick in the mind.

    I get that part. Human nature stuff there.

    I just don't get why the Browns, +/- Pioli, would consider him. The "laid back" thing gives me a uneasy Wade Phillips feeling.

    What football info is out there to say he's the man for the job?

    I'd put McDaniels, Schartz and Mangini ahead of him on my list. An Iowa coach who the alumni are unhappy with just doesn't ring true.

  • Y YtownBrownsBacker wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Ferentz may be one of the best offensive line coaches in football. But, I'm not overly impressed after that. I know it isn't very easy to recruit into Iowa, but there offensive scheme is very basic and he doesn't play a real attacking defense.

    He's sort of bland.

  • D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Obviously the GM and coach should get along, and if Pioli is going to be the GM, it's important to bring in his guy, otherwise you're just going to get three years of head-butting followed by another complete rebuild. That said, I'm very uneasy about Ferentz. Again, Robert Gallery is his greatest achievement at Iowa.

    McDaniels sounds good, but he could very easy fall victim to "Belle of the Ball" syndrome (see Rod Chudzinski, Jason Garrett, etc.)--it's always appealing to have the young, energetic, photogenic, whatever adjective you want to apply, assistant coach to be the face of the franchise, but what does the pretty boy do when the team loses two in a row? What does he do when Edwards drops three passes in a row? What does he do when Winslow says that he's not getting the ball enough?

    Think about a guy like Lane Kiffin. Obviously as a Vols fan I hope he turns out great, but what abilities has he shown as a head coach other than calling timeouts at the end of a game, blaming his boss for problems, and hiring relatives as assistant coaches. Can he develop a QB? Can he convince a group of 18-22 year olds that they can hang with Alabama and Florida? Can he convince himself that they can hang with Alabama and Florida? Can he convince anyone that he isn't the coach of just half of the team--that is, is there anyone who thinks that he's going to disagree with anything his dad does, much less pull rank on him?

    Dennis

  • Ferentz may be one of the best offensive line coaches in football. But, I'm not overly impressed after that. I know it isn't very easy to recruit into Iowa, but there offensive scheme is very basic and he doesn't play a real attacking defense.

    He's sort of bland.

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @ytownbrownsbacker said:

    Ferentz may be one of the best offensive line coaches in football. But, I'm not overly impressed after that. I know it isn't very easy to recruit into Iowa, but there offensive scheme is very basic and he doesn't play a real attacking defense.

    He's sort of bland.

    And now, unfortunately, he appears to be the clear frontrunner.

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #14

    It's not as if he has top flight players to go with that middle of the road record at Iowa. He has a respectable record considering his recruiting disadvantages.

  • ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #15

    That's like $3.8B in Los Angeles.

  • 5 585Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #16

    He coaches a very mediocre COLLEGE team... NO THANKS!! how many times do you ever see that work out??? NEVER!!!

  • F Fooleeze wrote on last edited by
    #17

    The one thing I'll throw out. . . some coaches are good in the NFL and bad in college. Some are great in college and bad in the NFL. We've seen both sides of that coin. Perhaps Ferentz might be one of the "Good in the NFL, no so much in Colleg" types. He had success in the NFL, and certainly left everyone with a good impression. He's done somewhat mediocre in College. Maybe the NFL is his Niche?

  • The one thing I'll throw out. . . some coaches are good in the NFL and bad in college. Some are great in college and bad in the NFL. We've seen both sides of that coin. Perhaps Ferentz might be one of the "Good in the NFL, no so much in Colleg" types. He had success in the NFL, and certainly left everyone with a good impression. He's done somewhat mediocre in College. Maybe the NFL is his Niche?

    5 585Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @fooleeze said:

    The one thing I'll throw out. . . some coaches are good in the NFL and bad in college. Some are great in college and bad in the NFL. We've seen both sides of that coin. Perhaps Ferentz might be one of the "Good in the NFL, no so much in Colleg" types. He had success in the NFL, and certainly left everyone with a good impression. He's done somewhat mediocre in College. Maybe the NFL is his Niche?

    I freakin hope so for everyone's sake....

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Wow I guess he should be going undefeated at Iowa? even though his teams play OSU, Michigan, Penn State every year? Even though he has a severe recruitment disadvantage? Not only does he have to recruit against other big ten teams, he has to recruit against the big 12.

    He's coached Iowa to two big ten co-championships with players that weren't good enough tobe drafted in the early rounds

  • The one thing I'll throw out. . . some coaches are good in the NFL and bad in college. Some are great in college and bad in the NFL. We've seen both sides of that coin. Perhaps Ferentz might be one of the "Good in the NFL, no so much in Colleg" types. He had success in the NFL, and certainly left everyone with a good impression. He's done somewhat mediocre in College. Maybe the NFL is his Niche?

    D dencyguy wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @fooleeze said:

    The one thing I'll throw out. . . some coaches are good in the NFL and bad in college. Some are great in college and bad in the NFL. We've seen both sides of that coin. Perhaps Ferentz might be one of the "Good in the NFL, no so much in Colleg" types. He had success in the NFL, and certainly left everyone with a good impression. He's done somewhat mediocre in College. Maybe the NFL is his Niche?

    True (see Davis, Butch). That said, That's a pretty hook to hang your hat on...sure, I'm 16 games over .500 in ten years--and have lost five games three of the past four years (with one game left in a four-loss season this year)--but hey, you can't expect much when recruiting in Iowa. And besides, a lot of mediocre college coaches have been really good in the pros. That's all well and good, but none of that proves anything with regards to Ferentz. Sometimes a coach of a mediocre team is mediocre himself.

    Dennis

  • Wow I guess he should be going undefeated at Iowa? even though his teams play OSU, Michigan, Penn State every year? Even though he has a severe recruitment disadvantage? Not only does he have to recruit against other big ten teams, he has to recruit against the big 12.

    He's coached Iowa to two big ten co-championships with players that weren't good enough tobe drafted in the early rounds

    5 585Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Wow I guess he should be going undefeated at Iowa? even though his teams play OSU, Michigan, Penn State every year? Even though he has a severe recruitment disadvantage? Not only does he have to recruit against other big ten teams, he has to recruit against the big 12.

    He's coached Iowa to two big ten co-championships with players that weren't good enough tobe drafted in the early rounds

    Good points! But you have to understand why promoting a college coach scares me a bit...

  • @pumpkin-eater said:

    Wow I guess he should be going undefeated at Iowa? even though his teams play OSU, Michigan, Penn State every year? Even though he has a severe recruitment disadvantage? Not only does he have to recruit against other big ten teams, he has to recruit against the big 12.

    He's coached Iowa to two big ten co-championships with players that weren't good enough tobe drafted in the early rounds

    Good points! But you have to understand why promoting a college coach scares me a bit...

    P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @585dawg said:

    Good points! But you have to understand why promoting a college coach scares me a bit...

    Me too. Also you have to wonder why no other NFL team is knocking on his door.

  • KosarfanK Kosarfan wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Maybe it's simply Lerner not spending what's needed ?

    Save on HC but spend on GM ? Ferentz not on anyone's radar probably means he's not expensive either, so if Piloi is, this could be Lerner's way to provide more offer to Piloi, therefore he's not having to dig any deeper.

    In any event, with ferentz I feel we'd have to have too much faith in the managing and allow less in coaching.

    Isn't that sort of what we just got done with ?

    Not having a great feeling about this combo and 2009 season.