Lee/victor Trades Starting To Pay Off
-
Masterson just had a dominant outing, going 6 1/3, striking out 9 and walking 1, only allowing 1 run (that was actually given up by Rafael Perez). His biggest problems for his career have been walks and left-handed hitters, but he was mowing down a very LH (and switch-hitting)-heavy Seattle team tonight.
Carlos Carrasco had a rough start against the White Sox, but bounced back after a 4-run inning, and had a great start against Seattle (6 IP, 6 K, 1 run). His biggest issues have been the home run (hasn't given one up this year) and confidence/"the big inning". He did give up one big inning in Chicago, but like I said he minimized the damage after that and managed to go 6 2/3.
Meanwhile, Victor is in Detroit and Cliff is...well, with the Phillies but no longer because of the trade.
I doubt Philly has too many regrets about the Cliff trade, but it's pretty nice to have an arm like Carrasco making next to nothing for the next several years.
Victor had a good run in Boston, but only gave them a year and a half of production (and nothing in the playoffs). We have Masterson long term.
And that's not even including the guys with the highest ceilings...Nick Hagadone and Jason Knapp. Trading a year of Cliff and Victor for 5+ years of Masterson and Carrasco (plus a potential closer and front-of-the-rotation starter still in the minors with Hagadone and Knapp)is starting to make a lot more sense....
PS - get well soon, Jason Donald.
-
The joke of it is, Shapiro only seems to be hitting on trades for non All-Stars. We got Cabrera for Eduardo Perez, Choo for Ben Brussard, Chris Perez for Mark DeRosa, hell we got Pronk for Einar Diaz. It's the big name players that we haven't been getting equal value for... yet.
-
Great. How long ago were they traded? How long until these guys are traded?
-
The joke of it is, Shapiro only seems to be hitting on trades for non All-Stars. We got Cabrera for Eduardo Perez, Choo for Ben Brussard, Chris Perez for Mark DeRosa, hell we got Pronk for Einar Diaz. It's the big name players that we haven't been getting equal value for... yet.
The joke of it is, Shapiro only seems to be hitting on trades for non All-Stars. We got Cabrera for Eduardo Perez, Choo for Ben Brussard, Chris Perez for Mark DeRosa, hell we got Pronk for Einar Diaz. It's the big name players that we haven't been getting equal value for... yet.
He got a pretty decent haul for Bartolo.
In the last few years, no one's been willing to give up can't-miss prospects. Look at what the Phillies and Mariners got for Lee, or what the Royals got for Greinke. The Blue Jays got a nice haul for Roy Halladay, but the Phillies got him for a full year, knew he was going to sign a long-term deal, and he's one of the best, most consistent pitchers of the decade, still in his prime.
I think the Texas Cliff trade is the best comparison. We gave up half a year of Sabathia for LaPorta, the Mariners gave up half a year of Lee for Smoak (of course, we also got Brantley and the 12.1 K/9 Rob Bryson). That's about what you can expect in terms of prospects for a rental.
So with Victor and Lee, Shapiro was trading rentals, and went for quantity of close-to-the-majors guys (Masterson, Carrasco, Donald, Marson), plus high ceiling guys we won't know about for a couple more years (when this team should be contending) - Hagadone, Knapp.
I'd say Shapiro didn't do too bad for himself.
-
I'll give masterson credit he looks good this year so far, but I think we have to wait a few more starts before we can say it was a OK/good deal..
I'll give masterson credit he looks good this year so far, but I think we have to wait a few more starts before we can say it was a OK/good deal..
I think we should wait a few more starts before calling it a great deal. It's already a OK/good deal. We know we have a huge, durable, power righthander with good K numbers and great ground ball/home run rates in Masterson. The only thing keeping Masterson from being a REALLY good starter are his walks and trouble with lefties, which he's had no problem with so far this year. If he's really fixed those he's a front of the rotation guy.
I think the worst case scenario is he's Jake Westbrook. Best case scenario he's 2007 Fausto with more K's. Considering Victor is in Detroit and we have Santana as his replacement, it's already a solid trade (not even considering Nick Hagadone). If Masterson has really figured out lefties and keeps up this pace, it's a great trade.
-
Chris Perez, Santana, Choo, Asdrubal
Shapiro could make trades.
Go Tribe.
The trades are looking good now, but as soon as these guys want bigger contracts we will ship them to N.Y. or Boston. It's great that we can make trades, but when are the indians going to pay money to try and field a winning team more often than once every 5 years? That is what is frustrating to me. I hate having to go through "rebuilding" as often as we do. Just my 2 cents...
That said I love the way we are playing right now! Hafner, Cabrera, and our starting pitchers are the biggest surprises for me so far this season (lots of surprises haha). But I wanna see this club have a come from behind victory. I love that we are getting big leads early, but I am interested to see if we can come back if we lose the lead early...
-
Chris Perez, Santana, Choo, Asdrubal
Shapiro could make trades.
Go Tribe.
The trades are looking good now, but as soon as these guys want bigger contracts we will ship them to N.Y. or Boston. It's great that we can make trades, but when are the indians going to pay money to try and field a winning team more often than once every 5 years? That is what is frustrating to me. I hate having to go through "rebuilding" as often as we do. Just my 2 cents...
That said I love the way we are playing right now! Hafner, Cabrera, and our starting pitchers are the biggest surprises for me so far this season (lots of surprises haha). But I wanna see this club have a come from behind victory. I love that we are getting big leads early, but I am interested to see if we can come back if we lose the lead early...
The trades are looking good now, but as soon as these guys want bigger contracts we will ship them to N.Y. or Boston. It's great that we can make trades, but when are the indians going to pay money to try and field a winning team more often than once every 5 years? That is what is frustrating to me. I hate having to go through "rebuilding" as often as we do. Just my 2 cents...
That said I love the way we are playing right now! Hafner, Cabrera, and our starting pitchers are the biggest surprises for me so far this season (lots of surprises haha). But I wanna see this club have a come from behind victory. I love that we are getting big leads early, but I am interested to see if we can come back if we lose the lead early...
It's way too early to worry about trading these guys. Yeah, we traded CC, Lee and Victor...but we also re-signed guys like Hafner, Fausto, and Westbrook to big contracts, paid big money to Kerry Wood as a free agent...the situation (contention-wise) dictates what the front office will do. That said, we'll never be able to afford a true ace pitcher on the open market, just like about 26 other teams in baseball.
And this team definitely looks scrappy. They were down 15-0 opening day and still managed to make it interesting. They got shelled to start game 2 but rallied back (and then won 8 in a row). They haven't had a lot of come from behind wins but they're not going to fold.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login