Skip to content

Recipes For Save Money Doit Yerselfers

Barber Shop Talk
6 5 710
  • This is a great recipe, if you like pickled eggs and beets, and they cost too much in the store, and those are a bit rubbery.

    Juice from one can of regular sliced (or whole) beets

    2/3 cup white vinegar

    1/4 cup sugar

    1/4 tsp salt

    Easy. Boil the above ingredients, stirring to get the sugar well dissolved.

    Then turn down the heat, and simmer ten minutes on low.

    I usually double this recipe. I may triple it next time.

    Should do 8 to 12 eggs, depending on size.

    Boil your eggs before all this, or after, ten minutes, hard boiled, then take off the heat,put

    pan in sink, flush with cold water, let sit til eggs are cool. I add a few ice cubes.

    The eggs should peel easily and nicely. If they don't, well, let me know your secret.

    Add eggs, and beets to warm, clean canning jars, and pour in liquid to the top. Close with the proper lids.

    I use the white screw on caps. let em set in the fridge for 2-3 days. I love em.

  • I only eat pink, pickled eggs if I am shithammered, sitting at some honky tonk bar.

  • I only eat pink, pickled eggs if I am shithammered, sitting at some honky tonk bar.

    @ballpeen said:

    I only eat pink, pickled eggs if I am shithammered, sitting at some honky tonk bar.

    That made me laugh out loud. I can picture the jar sitting there. Actually I had some pickled eggs at a friends house a few days ago and said practically the the same thing you just did. But they tasted pretty good, so I think I just might use this recipe and make some myself.

  • well, I have been making my own mayo....

    the recipe is:

    1 egg

    1 tbs real lemon juice

    1 tbs white wine? vinegar

    1 cup vegetable oil, different types give you different flavors...

    Different recipes say to add the oil slowly.... my friend just dumps it in there.

    Then you take a high speed mixer, or blender, and go at it.

    Mine keeps staying too creamy for me, not enough solid mayo. I guess I'm used to the stuff in jars,... ?

    Anyways, if you can improve on this, just let me know. I'm thinkin maybe adding another egg - somes recipes only use

    the egg yolk, since the yolk contains whatever it is, that makes the mayo become... mayo. Yeah, I think I'll add another egg

    for lunch with my tuna. Oh, and I only use pasteurized eggs for safety... the stuff will last about 4 days or so in the fridge.

    Hey, it beats paying $4.25 for a big jar of Hellmans.... @@

  • well, I have been making my own mayo....

    the recipe is:

    1 egg

    1 tbs real lemon juice

    1 tbs white wine? vinegar

    1 cup vegetable oil, different types give you different flavors...

    Different recipes say to add the oil slowly.... my friend just dumps it in there.

    Then you take a high speed mixer, or blender, and go at it.

    Mine keeps staying too creamy for me, not enough solid mayo. I guess I'm used to the stuff in jars,... ?

    Anyways, if you can improve on this, just let me know. I'm thinkin maybe adding another egg - somes recipes only use

    the egg yolk, since the yolk contains whatever it is, that makes the mayo become... mayo. Yeah, I think I'll add another egg

    for lunch with my tuna. Oh, and I only use pasteurized eggs for safety... the stuff will last about 4 days or so in the fridge.

    Hey, it beats paying $4.25 for a big jar of Hellmans.... @@

    @calfoxwc said:

    well, I have been making my own mayo....

    the recipe is:

    1 egg

    1 tbs real lemon juice

    1 tbs white wine? vinegar

    1 cup vegetable oil, different types give you different flavors...

    Different recipes say to add the oil slowly.... my friend just dumps it in there.

    Then you take a high speed mixer, or blender, and go at it.

    Mine keeps staying too creamy for me, not enough solid mayo. I guess I'm used to the stuff in jars,... ?

    Anyways, if you can improve on this, just let me know. I'm thinkin maybe adding another egg - somes recipes only use

    the egg yolk, since the yolk contains whatever it is, that makes the mayo become... mayo. Yeah, I think I'll add another egg

    for lunch with my tuna. Oh, and I only use pasteurized eggs for safety... the stuff will last about 4 days or so in the fridge.

    Hey, it beats paying $4.25 for a big jar of Hellmans.... @@

    I can probrably do the mayo

  • you have to go to a 'specialty' store here in metro nyc to find pickled eggs which my friends and i crave when we are hammered. it was a staple at every bar in ohio that my dad took my brother and i to when he was babysitting us. mostly at the vfw.

    favorite broke bachelor recipe: hot dog soup.

    recipe:

    cut up hot dogs and put them into some sort of boiling liquid. done.