Skip to content

Andrew Luck Sweepstakes?

The Browns Board
35 17 2.1k
  • I think every year my emotions get the best of me and i go with my heart and predict the Browns will be the team who comes out of no where to make the play offs or have a winning record.

    This year is much different. It seems like with everything going against us, lock out, new coach, lack of free agent activity. We will be lucky to win 4 games.

    I look at last year and what is different.. We will have a whole new system which takes time to learn. We still have no weapons for Colt Mccoy. To even be descent we are depending on Momass and Robiske to have breakout years because of a change of systems. The west coast offense may help a little but wont make them run any faster. Sure we drafted Greg Little but what do you really expect to get out of a rookie who missed all last year??

    We are really putting alot of confidence in guys who havent showed anything.

    Best case scenario, Hardesty comes back healthy, Pashos is able to play and are offense has some balance..

    Defense is a complete mess. Going to a 4-3 isnt that hard to learn, but getting the players is a whole different story.. We are putting all are hopes in 2 rookies and dqell jackson coming back and being productive. We will have no depth at dline at this point or lbs. We are also now down a corner in Eric Wright..

    I have been wrong every year in predicting the browns would be 10 and 6 or better. So this year im predicting 3-13 and having a chance to get Andrew Luck.

    Not signing players this years seems like the front office is conceding we wont be good. Heckert and Holgrem can say all they want about Momass and Robiske, but does anyone actually beleive they think those guys are the answer?

    The only signing now that would make me happy is Hope Solo has our FG kicker.

  • I disagree on all points except for Hope.

  • Ok so your saying that robiske and momass have huge years??? Your saying the lock out doesn't hurt our new schemes?? Your saying greg little, bucks all odds and has a huge impact as a rookie wr??

    Your saying we aren't depending on our 2 rookie dlineman to have a huge impact???

  • Ok so your saying that robiske and momass have huge years??? Your saying the lock out doesn't hurt our new schemes?? Your saying greg little, bucks all odds and has a huge impact as a rookie wr??

    Your saying we aren't depending on our 2 rookie dlineman to have a huge impact???

    @wrrebel said:

    Ok so your saying that robiske and momass have huge years??? Your saying the lock out doesn't hurt our new schemes?? Your saying greg little, bucks all odds and has a huge impact as a rookie wr??

    Your saying we aren't depending on our 2 rookie dlineman to have a huge impact???

    I think you are being a complete "glass half empty" kind of guy. To say that the Browns could be in the hunt for the worst record in the league, I think, is absurd. I am not saying the Browns will probably be in the playoff hunt either. They will probably be stuck in the middle somewhere. They may get off to a rough start.....but look at our first opponent.

    The Bengals are FAR more likely to be a frontrunner for the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes than the Browns.

  • Teams that make a big slash in free agency typically have the first tee time in January. The exceptions may be the Jets and Pats who have built a core group through the draft and added role type players like Haynesworth and 85 to provide depth and flexibility. They are big names, but are on the way down.

    That said, there is a lot of time left between now and Aug 4, the first day these free agents can report to the team. Nnamdi's decision is holding up the market across the board, not just for CBs. Once that domino falls, you'll see a lot of other players signing. That includes the guys the Browns are targeting. Also, there have been a lot of cuts and there will be more once some of these UFAs sign.

    This season is young... It actually hasn't started yet technically.

  • Trust me gipper. This isn't normal.. I'm ussually the one saying we wil be a good team...

    I said we would be 3 and 13, cause we play the bengals twice. I took that into consideration 😉

  • Maybe we should go after Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft. He may not be as good of a quarterback as Colt but his speed makes up for what he lacks in good quarterback skills. I dont like the kid for what he did to Ohio State, but he is going to be a pro athlete and will come out on top somewhere.

  • I'm taking the middle road on the browns this year tbh. I think we're all getting stir-crazy because all these FA's are going everyone and we don't seem to be landing them. I hate to be the bearer of bad news to everyone but, we weren't getting them anyway. As i've stated before, I'm just hoping we land a solid, starting DE ,RT and clearly now a CB. As much it sucks, Heckert knows we're never going to land the top FA's until we are good. That's just how any sport goes.

    However, you have to believe that our draft choices will be good. Heckert has shown he scouts talent well and brings guys in who can straight play. McCoy showed he has the potential to be solid, and our defense is really turning the corner IMO. If hardesty stays healthy we now have IMO an extremely solid run game and all pro LT and C. So the bottom line here is this for me anyway: would I be surprised if we won a few games against better teams and finished around .500? No. Would I be surprised if we struggle again and end 5-11 or 6-10? No as well.

  • As much it sucks, Heckert knows we're never going to land the top FA's until we are good. That's just how any sport goes.

    Actually, I would disagree. For the most part, the team that lands a FA is the team that offers the most money, not the team with the best record. Or it will be the team that will give that player the best chance to play. Occasionally you get someone who goes elsewhere for the belief that that team will win, but that is rarer than most people think. Money talks.

  • Hey look at the bright side having a top ten pick next year we won't have to invest that much money with the new rookie wage scale

  • Personally, I'd rather not be in the Luck sweepstakes. I agree we do need younger backup than Wallace. If this team plays up to it's potential, we will be far away from any chance of getting Luck. Do we have the trade picks to make an attempt? I just can't see the team that has "the" first pick, giving up on the new unproven savior of the football world.

  • Gipper, I do agree with to an extent. But there's a fine line between going where the money is and going to play for a winner. These guys are at the top of their game because of their competitive, winning nature. I mean I hate to down our team but, if I was a WR I wouldn't come to Cleveland. Players want and need to go a place where they will shine. Sure, sometimes money is more important but like i said you can't overlook those factors

  • Oh I get it now.. I know why we don't sign a star free agent.

    Us Cleveland fans wouldn't know how to react to a star athlete who refuses to quit.

  • Gipper, I do agree with to an extent. But there's a fine line between going where the money is and going to play for a winner. These guys are at the top of their game because of their competitive, winning nature. I mean I hate to down our team but, if I was a WR I wouldn't come to Cleveland. Players want and need to go a place where they will shine. Sure, sometimes money is more important but like i said you can't overlook those factors

    @jrb12711 said:

    Gipper, I do agree with to an extent. But there's a fine line between going where the money is and going to play for a winner. These guys are at the top of their game because of their competitive, winning nature. I mean I hate to down our team but, if I was a WR I wouldn't come to Cleveland. Players want and need to go a place where they will shine. Sure, sometimes money is more important but like i said you can't overlook those factors

    I am not overlooking those other things as a factor, but when it comes to the bottom line, money is usually a trump factor over all those others. If a FA can get real close to the same money from a perceived "contender" he might go there. But if it is not real close, money talks, and all that other bullshit walks.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Gipper, I do agree with to an extent. But there's a fine line between going where the money is and going to play for a winner. These guys are at the top of their game because of their competitive, winning nature. I mean I hate to down our team but, if I was a WR I wouldn't come to Cleveland. Players want and need to go a place where they will shine. Sure, sometimes money is more important but like i said you can't overlook those factors

    I am not overlooking those other things as a factor, but when it comes to the bottom line, money is usually a trump factor over all those others. If a FA can get real close to the same money from a perceived "contender" he might go there. But if it is not real close, money talks, and all that other bullshit walks.

    @the-gipper said:

    I am not overlooking those other things as a factor, but when it comes to the bottom line, money is usually a trump factor over all those others. If a FA can get real close to the same money from a perceived "contender" he might go there. But if it is not real close, money talks, and all that other bullshit walks.

    Of course it's the money. Anyone who thinks a player would give up millions to play for a winner is nuts. Sure, if the pay is comparable then they would. But if it is not then they go $$$$$$. That's why they are called "Professional Athletes".

  • well of course if the money is millions apart 95% of people go where the money is, that's just common sense. But usually the contracts are very close or so it seems.

  • Well its kinda hard to sign someone when you wont call them back, all reports indicate that are Management wouldnt call Ray Edwards back and he wanted to play here.. So dont say that someone wouldnt have came here we just wouldnt answer his calls.

  • I don't get the lack of any moves.. heckerts ego is going to cost us... he thinks he can build through the draft alone... well in that case he better start hitting on his 4th, 5th and 6th rd picks and make sure his 2nd rd picks aren't mr glass (hardesty)

    I'm still a little confused cause when heckert was

    in philly they signed players, terrel owens, asante samuel ect...

    And holgrem is seatlle didn't hestitate to sign players..

  • I think Andrew Luck should've come out this year, because he will not be the number #1 pick this year, nor the #1 QB taken off the boards. Playing football presents a high risk of injury, missing 2-3 weeks with even a minor injury will cause one's stock to fall. Second Luck will be playing under a new coach and a new system, that projects his numbers will not look as good. Third, there's bound to be 1-2 QBs who put up better stats to become next year's media darlings, ala Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell. In all, I think Luck will be a solid pick at QB for whoever gets him, unlike Lienart. But like Lienart, when you have the chance to go #1 overall, you shouldn't pass on it. My prediction is Luck will fall to the Browns with a pick between 10-15, but then again I don't profess to be psychic.

  • I am seeing we have serious competition for andrew luck. As were not signing any starting free agents, mike browns and the bengals seemed more determined. Not only are they not signing free agents, but there trading and cutting there players.

    Its a bold strategy, let's see how this plays out