Andrew Luck Sweepstakes?
-
Maybe we should go after Terrelle Pryor in the supplemental draft. He may not be as good of a quarterback as Colt but his speed makes up for what he lacks in good quarterback skills. I dont like the kid for what he did to Ohio State, but he is going to be a pro athlete and will come out on top somewhere.
-
I'm taking the middle road on the browns this year tbh. I think we're all getting stir-crazy because all these FA's are going everyone and we don't seem to be landing them. I hate to be the bearer of bad news to everyone but, we weren't getting them anyway. As i've stated before, I'm just hoping we land a solid, starting DE ,RT and clearly now a CB. As much it sucks, Heckert knows we're never going to land the top FA's until we are good. That's just how any sport goes.
However, you have to believe that our draft choices will be good. Heckert has shown he scouts talent well and brings guys in who can straight play. McCoy showed he has the potential to be solid, and our defense is really turning the corner IMO. If hardesty stays healthy we now have IMO an extremely solid run game and all pro LT and C. So the bottom line here is this for me anyway: would I be surprised if we won a few games against better teams and finished around .500? No. Would I be surprised if we struggle again and end 5-11 or 6-10? No as well.
-
As much it sucks, Heckert knows we're never going to land the top FA's until we are good. That's just how any sport goes.
Actually, I would disagree. For the most part, the team that lands a FA is the team that offers the most money, not the team with the best record. Or it will be the team that will give that player the best chance to play. Occasionally you get someone who goes elsewhere for the belief that that team will win, but that is rarer than most people think. Money talks.
-
Personally, I'd rather not be in the Luck sweepstakes. I agree we do need younger backup than Wallace. If this team plays up to it's potential, we will be far away from any chance of getting Luck. Do we have the trade picks to make an attempt? I just can't see the team that has "the" first pick, giving up on the new unproven savior of the football world.
-
Gipper, I do agree with to an extent. But there's a fine line between going where the money is and going to play for a winner. These guys are at the top of their game because of their competitive, winning nature. I mean I hate to down our team but, if I was a WR I wouldn't come to Cleveland. Players want and need to go a place where they will shine. Sure, sometimes money is more important but like i said you can't overlook those factors
-
Gipper, I do agree with to an extent. But there's a fine line between going where the money is and going to play for a winner. These guys are at the top of their game because of their competitive, winning nature. I mean I hate to down our team but, if I was a WR I wouldn't come to Cleveland. Players want and need to go a place where they will shine. Sure, sometimes money is more important but like i said you can't overlook those factors
Gipper, I do agree with to an extent. But there's a fine line between going where the money is and going to play for a winner. These guys are at the top of their game because of their competitive, winning nature. I mean I hate to down our team but, if I was a WR I wouldn't come to Cleveland. Players want and need to go a place where they will shine. Sure, sometimes money is more important but like i said you can't overlook those factors
I am not overlooking those other things as a factor, but when it comes to the bottom line, money is usually a trump factor over all those others. If a FA can get real close to the same money from a perceived "contender" he might go there. But if it is not real close, money talks, and all that other bullshit walks.
-
Gipper, I do agree with to an extent. But there's a fine line between going where the money is and going to play for a winner. These guys are at the top of their game because of their competitive, winning nature. I mean I hate to down our team but, if I was a WR I wouldn't come to Cleveland. Players want and need to go a place where they will shine. Sure, sometimes money is more important but like i said you can't overlook those factors
I am not overlooking those other things as a factor, but when it comes to the bottom line, money is usually a trump factor over all those others. If a FA can get real close to the same money from a perceived "contender" he might go there. But if it is not real close, money talks, and all that other bullshit walks.
I am not overlooking those other things as a factor, but when it comes to the bottom line, money is usually a trump factor over all those others. If a FA can get real close to the same money from a perceived "contender" he might go there. But if it is not real close, money talks, and all that other bullshit walks.
Of course it's the money. Anyone who thinks a player would give up millions to play for a winner is nuts. Sure, if the pay is comparable then they would. But if it is not then they go $$$$$$. That's why they are called "Professional Athletes".
-
well of course if the money is millions apart 95% of people go where the money is, that's just common sense. But usually the contracts are very close or so it seems.
-
I don't get the lack of any moves.. heckerts ego is going to cost us... he thinks he can build through the draft alone... well in that case he better start hitting on his 4th, 5th and 6th rd picks and make sure his 2nd rd picks aren't mr glass (hardesty)
I'm still a little confused cause when heckert was
in philly they signed players, terrel owens, asante samuel ect...
And holgrem is seatlle didn't hestitate to sign players..
-
I think Andrew Luck should've come out this year, because he will not be the number #1 pick this year, nor the #1 QB taken off the boards. Playing football presents a high risk of injury, missing 2-3 weeks with even a minor injury will cause one's stock to fall. Second Luck will be playing under a new coach and a new system, that projects his numbers will not look as good. Third, there's bound to be 1-2 QBs who put up better stats to become next year's media darlings, ala Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell. In all, I think Luck will be a solid pick at QB for whoever gets him, unlike Lienart. But like Lienart, when you have the chance to go #1 overall, you shouldn't pass on it. My prediction is Luck will fall to the Browns with a pick between 10-15, but then again I don't profess to be psychic.
-
I am seeing we have serious competition for andrew luck. As were not signing any starting free agents, mike browns and the bengals seemed more determined. Not only are they not signing free agents, but there trading and cutting there players.
Its a bold strategy, let's see how this plays out
-
I don't get the lack of any moves.. heckerts ego is going to cost us... he thinks he can build through the draft alone... well in that case he better start hitting on his 4th, 5th and 6th rd picks and make sure his 2nd rd picks aren't mr glass (hardesty)
I'm still a little confused cause when heckert was
in philly they signed players, terrel owens, asante samuel ect...
And holgrem is seatlle didn't hestitate to sign players..
I don't get the lack of any moves.. heckerts ego is going to cost us... he thinks he can build through the draft alone... well in that case he better start hitting on his 4th, 5th and 6th rd picks and make sure his 2nd rd picks aren't mr glass (hardesty)
I'm still a little confused cause when heckert was
in philly they signed players, terrel owens, asante samuel ect...
First off; this current team is not a couple players away from being a playoff contender. If you say otherwise you are just being a true homer, which there is nothing wrong with and I'm as optimistic as anyone on this board, but the fact is that realistically we are not close to playoff contention. Just my opinion. Secondly I think Ray Edwards is way overrated. The guy played on the same D-Line as Kevin Williams and Jared Allen. Allen required a double team every passing down and Kevin Williams is an All-Pro defensive tackle so of course Edwards was able to get the kind of stats he got. He'll get the same stats this year because he's going to Atlanta to play with Abraham who is the same elite pass rusher that Allen is. If we had signed(overpaid) him there is no way he has the same production that he had in Minny.
About the Mr. Glass comment, let's see if Hardesty can stay healthy this year before we start giving him a nickname like that.
You know why Philly signed players like that? Because Philly was a playoff, even a Super Bowl, contending team year in and year out when Heckert was there. The Browns are not the team Philly is and we have way to many holes right now to just go throw big money around in FA. I want to win now as much as anyone but it's not going to happen in one off-season. Especially one that was decimated by the lockout.
As far as this thread goes... why don't we see what McCoy does this year instead of putting him and the team down all because you're unhappy with the first day of FA?
-
Again I disagree...
In the current nfl your always a perfect storm away from being a contender.
Look at the browns last year. If we had a legitimate wrs we probably win 3 to 5 more games.
Last year we signed ben watson. He was and still is our best wr option and he plays tight end.. why not give colt mccoy a legitmate option??
And hardesty with his days at tennessee and first year in the nfl has earned the nickname mr glass.
I don't get fans.. you drink heckerts cool aid.. robiske and momass have showed me nothing.. we have the slowest wrs in the nfl...
I'm starting a site... wwwheckertisajew.com
-
Again I disagree...
In the current nfl your always a perfect storm away from being a contender.
Look at the browns last year. If we had a legitimate wrs we probably win 3 to 5 more games.
Last year we signed ben watson. He was and still is our best wr option and he plays tight end.. why not give colt mccoy a legitmate option??
And hardesty with his days at tennessee and first year in the nfl has earned the nickname mr glass.
I don't get fans.. you drink heckerts cool aid.. robiske and momass have showed me nothing.. we have the slowest wrs in the nfl...
I'm starting a site... wwwheckertisajew.com
Again I disagree...
In the current nfl your always a perfect storm away from being a contender.
Look at the browns last year. If we had a legitimate wrs we probably win 3 to 5 more games.
Last year we signed ben watson. He was and still is our best wr option and he plays tight end.. why not give colt mccoy a legitmate option??
And hardesty with his days at tennessee and first year in the nfl has earned the nickname mr glass.
I don't get fans.. you drink heckerts cool aid.. robiske and momass have showed me nothing.. we have the slowest wrs in the nfl...
I'm starting a site... wwwheckertisajew.com
I agree with you on your points Rebel, it was early in the morning when I typed that so I apologize if I came off hostile.
I left out WR but still my point is that I don't think a guy like Sidney Rice wants to come play here. I am not drinking the kool-aid on our current WR's and I hope we do pick up a legit veteran before FA is over. I am however drinking the Heckert kool-aid and I'll gladly admit it.
I don't disagree that at anytime can a team make a run to the playoffs but I'd rather have my team be in playoff contention every year instead of signing some overpriced FA(s) then have things go our way for one year only to see us fall back into the cellar the next year.
-
Yeah next2nothing,
I'm just extremely frustrated. Cause I agree we shouldn't just go out and sign players ro sign players. But I thought we would be involved with at least mid tier free agents.
I mean you sign guys who fit your scheme or can be a starter. I don't think s rice would have been a good fit either, but this is the second off season where were passing over glaring needs.
Every other team is the league with the exception of us and the bengals are making moves, improving there roster.
Now I see we don't actually have to spend the min for the salary cap until 2013..
My theory is this, you have money to spend. People ar right we aren't going to be a superbowl contender this year and at the rate were addking talent wee won't be a play off contender in 5 years..
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
