Skip to content

Taylor Mays On Trade Block

The Browns Board
36 19 2.0k
  • WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #6

    pass!

    I live out in northern california. This guy is all speed and nothing else.

  • pass!

    I live out in northern california. This guy is all speed and nothing else.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @wrrebel said:

    pass!

    I live out in northern california. This guy is all speed and nothing else.

    Which is what we'll need for a FS. He'll essentially be a ball hawking rover on every play with a 1/2 or deep third assignment.

  • Brownsfan_AlthausB Brownsfan_Althaus wrote on last edited by
    #8

    i would like to pick him up.

  • WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #9

    once again. this guy blows..

    I dont understand, im all for adding good players. But trading for this guy would be a waste!!

    I would rather bring back Felix Wright

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #10

    So you'd rather make a big splash by signing some washed up free agent with nothing left to prove?

  • WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #11

    First off I would have been happy if we signed some mid tier free agents like a malcolm floyd

    2nd I'm def not for trading a draft pick for a guy who can't play..

  • @hunt-daddy said:

    I've always thought that guy was pretty good. I know we won't get him, but he is young and just a second year player which could entice Holmgren and Heckert. I think that'd be a nasty group of safeties with Mays and Ward. Put Young and Haden at CB. I think we'd be set.

    There's no doubt they're asking for a first, which we have two of.

    Ward and Mays are like the dream team for young safeties. That would be ridiculous. I'm not normally for big trades nor do I condone getting rid of draft picks, but I'd throw in everything but the kitchen sink for Mays.

    The problem is we already signed Young. I can all but guarantee Mays will not be a Brown.

    EDIT: I swear to God, if Mays ends up in New England or playing for Gang Green, I'll shit a whole pile of bricks.

    Same if he lands in the Pitts.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    There's no doubt they're asking for a first, which we have two of.

    Ward and Mays are like the dream team for young safeties. That would be ridiculous. I'm not normally for big trades nor do I condone getting rid of draft picks, but I'd throw in everything but the kitchen sink for Mays.

    The problem is we already signed Young. I can all but guarantee Mays will not be a Brown.

    EDIT: I swear to God, if Mays ends up in New England or playing for Gang Green, I'll shit a whole pile of bricks.

    Same if he lands in the Pitts.

    lol. What? Taylor Mays hasn't been that good in SF. Why else do you think the guy is on the block. A Ward/Mays tandem also wouldn't be a safety dream team. What land of delusions do you reside? It would be a waste to go hard at Taylor Mays. Giving up a first or in your case two firsts would be highway robbery.

  • N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Taylor Mays is terrible im glad we took Ward over him,theres no wonder San Fran is trying to trade him he cant cover for shit.

    The highest id even consider would be a 4th and people are talking about a 1st are you serious??? He couldnt even crack the lineup for the Niners and you name there starting safteys.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    There's no doubt they're asking for a first, which we have two of.

    Ward and Mays are like the dream team for young safeties. That would be ridiculous. I'm not normally for big trades nor do I condone getting rid of draft picks, but I'd throw in everything but the kitchen sink for Mays.

    The problem is we already signed Young. I can all but guarantee Mays will not be a Brown.

    EDIT: I swear to God, if Mays ends up in New England or playing for Gang Green, I'll shit a whole pile of bricks.

    Same if he lands in the Pitts.

    lol. What? Taylor Mays hasn't been that good in SF. Why else do you think the guy is on the block. A Ward/Mays tandem also wouldn't be a safety dream team. What land of delusions do you reside? It would be a waste to go hard at Taylor Mays. Giving up a first or in your case two firsts would be highway robbery.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Homotron said:

    lol. What? Taylor Mays hasn't been that good in SF. Why else do you think the guy is on the block. A Ward/Mays tandem also wouldn't be a safety dream team. What land of delusions do you reside? It would be a waste to go hard at Taylor Mays. Giving up a first or in your case two firsts would be highway robbery.

    I never said we give up two firsts. I said we have two firsts, therefore giving up a first rounder wouldn't leave us overly xxxxed.

    C'mon Homo, you're better than that.

    I live in the land where Taylor Mays is 6'3, 220 lbs, and runs a sub 4.4 40. In some cases, a sub 4.3. He's got raw athletic talent, and with the right coaching can be a freak.

    He's got Adrian Wilson size, Ed Reed speed and he hits like Sean Taylor.

  • Homotron said:

    lol. What? Taylor Mays hasn't been that good in SF. Why else do you think the guy is on the block. A Ward/Mays tandem also wouldn't be a safety dream team. What land of delusions do you reside? It would be a waste to go hard at Taylor Mays. Giving up a first or in your case two firsts would be highway robbery.

    I never said we give up two firsts. I said we have two firsts, therefore giving up a first rounder wouldn't leave us overly xxxxed.

    C'mon Homo, you're better than that.

    I live in the land where Taylor Mays is 6'3, 220 lbs, and runs a sub 4.4 40. In some cases, a sub 4.3. He's got raw athletic talent, and with the right coaching can be a freak.

    He's got Adrian Wilson size, Ed Reed speed and he hits like Sean Taylor.

    N Nw220 wrote on last edited by Nw220
    #15

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He's got Adrian Wilson size, Ed Reed speed and he hits like Sean Taylor.

    Problem is he cant cover worth a damn, he may be a physical freak but if you cant cover he might wanna consider moving to Linebacker..He couldnt make an impact in SF and they now have two new safteys, that really says something.

  • WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Again I watched him his whole rookie year and he was horrible. If you want a guy who is fast and won't be around the ball then he's ur guy...

    if football was all about being fast and combines the raiders would win every year...

    That's it trade him to oakland, there just dumb enough to take him

  • Taylor Mays is terrible im glad we took Ward over him,theres no wonder San Fran is trying to trade him he cant cover for shit.

    The highest id even consider would be a 4th and people are talking about a 1st are you serious??? He couldnt even crack the lineup for the Niners and you name there starting safteys.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @nw220 said:

    Taylor Mays is terrible im glad we took Ward over him,theres no wonder San Fran is trying to trade him he cant cover for shit.

    The highest id even consider would be a 4th and people are talking about a 1st are you serious??? He couldnt even crack the lineup for the Niners and you name there starting safteys.

    He did crack the lineup for the 9ers, he started 6 games at safety. He replaced Michael Lewis, a former second round pick. He was opposite Dashon Goldson, who could be a pretty decent safety.

    I did all that without looking anything up. So, yes...I can name their starting safeties.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He's got Adrian Wilson size, Ed Reed speed and he hits like Sean Taylor.

    Problem is he cant cover worth a damn, he may be a physical freak but if you cant cover he might wanna consider moving to Linebacker..He couldnt make an impact in SF and they now have two new safteys, that really says something.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @nw220 said:

    Probaly is he cant cover worth a damn, he may be a physical freak but if you cant cover he might wanna consider moving to Linebacker..He couldnt make an impact in SF and they now have two new safteys, that really says something.

    The reason he's on the block isn't because his lack of coverage abilities. It's because San Fran never wanted to get him in the first place. He was a Singletary pick, through and through. Now Singletary is gone, and Mays isn't wanted.

    A rookie got one year to make an impact and is now on the trading block.

    So, by that reasoning, we should trade Hardesty, because he is a physical freak who can't stay healthy ever. Same for Shaun Lauvao.

  • N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
    #19

    49ers SS Taylor Mays lost his starting job after just five games during the season because he struggled in pass coverage.

    This was the book on Mays coming out of USC. Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area suggests that, "It might be that it's asking too much of him, at his size, to change direction and hang in coverage against NFL receivers." According to Pro Football Focus, opponents completed a whopping 81.3 percent of their passes and averaged 20.2 yards on completions into Mays' coverage. He created just one turnover (a Week 5 forced fumble) in 16 games.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5760/taylor-mays

  • 49ers SS Taylor Mays lost his starting job after just five games during the season because he struggled in pass coverage.

    This was the book on Mays coming out of USC. Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area suggests that, "It might be that it's asking too much of him, at his size, to change direction and hang in coverage against NFL receivers." According to Pro Football Focus, opponents completed a whopping 81.3 percent of their passes and averaged 20.2 yards on completions into Mays' coverage. He created just one turnover (a Week 5 forced fumble) in 16 games.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5760/taylor-mays

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @nw220 said:

    49ers SS Taylor Mays lost his starting job after just five games during the season because he struggled in pass coverage.

    This was the book on Mays coming out of USC. Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area suggests that, "It might be that it's asking too much of him, at his size, to change direction and hang in coverage against NFL receivers." According to Pro Football Focus, opponents completed a whopping 81.3 percent of their passes and averaged 20.2 yards on completions into Mays' coverage. He created just one turnover (a Week 5 forced fumble) in 16 games.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5760/taylor-mays

    I understand his coverage skills leave something to be desired. He had a hard time covering NFL receivers as a rookie. As. A. Rookie.

    But, once again, not the reason he's being traded. A contributing factor? Maybe. But by all accounts it's because of the firing of Singletary.

    Not many teams look to trade a rookie simply because of a bad rookie season. Especially not ones drafted in the first two rounds.

  • Taylor Mays is terrible im glad we took Ward over him,theres no wonder San Fran is trying to trade him he cant cover for shit.

    The highest id even consider would be a 4th and people are talking about a 1st are you serious??? He couldnt even crack the lineup for the Niners and you name there starting safteys.

    P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @nw220 said:

    Taylor Mays is terrible im glad we took Ward over him,theres no wonder San Fran is trying to trade him he cant cover for shit.

    The highest id even consider would be a 4th and people are talking about a 1st are you serious??? He couldnt even crack the lineup for the Niners and you name there starting safteys.

    I wasn't aware it was the safety's job to cover.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    I would MAYBE take a flyer on this guy for a 6th or 7th round pick, but Timmy what everyone is saying is just right. The same problems that made him fall in the draft became apparent last year. I do completely agree he deserves more than one season to get it together, as does any player. But it should concern you the same problems he had all through college just got worse in the NFL last year. He hasn't shown me at all that he's going to figure it out. If they thought he was worth it, they'd keep him.

  • WRREBELW WRREBEL wrote on last edited by
    #23

    But he runs fast..... who cares that he can't cover mike utley...

    You would think this guy went to ohio state or something..

    If we are building through the draft then why give up a draft pick for a guy who can't play??

  • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
    #24

    He sucks, I don't want him if we have to give up more than a 5th. Fact is there is a reason this guy fell last year in the draft and there is a reason that he is being traded now. It doesn't matter if he was a pick by the last coach, if he had any kind of ability they wouldn't be trying to trade him!

  • @nw220 said:

    49ers SS Taylor Mays lost his starting job after just five games during the season because he struggled in pass coverage.

    This was the book on Mays coming out of USC. Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area suggests that, "It might be that it's asking too much of him, at his size, to change direction and hang in coverage against NFL receivers." According to Pro Football Focus, opponents completed a whopping 81.3 percent of their passes and averaged 20.2 yards on completions into Mays' coverage. He created just one turnover (a Week 5 forced fumble) in 16 games.

    http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5760/taylor-mays

    I understand his coverage skills leave something to be desired. He had a hard time covering NFL receivers as a rookie. As. A. Rookie.

    But, once again, not the reason he's being traded. A contributing factor? Maybe. But by all accounts it's because of the firing of Singletary.

    Not many teams look to trade a rookie simply because of a bad rookie season. Especially not ones drafted in the first two rounds.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I understand his coverage skills leave something to be desired. He had a hard time covering NFL receivers as a rookie. As. A. Rookie.

    But, once again, not the reason he's being traded. A contributing factor? Maybe. But by all accounts it's because of the firing of Singletary.

    Not many teams look to trade a rookie simply because of a bad rookie season. Especially not ones drafted in the first two rounds.

    Whoa- if the guy was a playah, it wouldn't matter who drafted him. We're unloading this stud saftey because our ex-coach drafted him? Unlikley. It's damn near unheard of to unload a guy drafted that high after one year. He has to suck about as bad as David Veikune.

    Physical freaks don't necessarily do well in the NFL. If track speed was all that mattered for a WR, Reynaldo Nehemiah would be in the HOF.