Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Browns 2012 Draft

Browns 2012 Draft

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
15 Posts 10 Posters 1.8k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Sheepdog S
    • 292 Posts
    • 7 Reputation
    S Sheepdog wrote on last edited by
    #1

    The draft is perhaps my favorite thing to watch behind the Super Bowl or any Browns game. As soon as we traded our #6 pick to Atlanta for a a 1st round pick later in this years draft and a 1st round pick next year, I started to think how are the Browns going to draft. Holmgren has to already be thinking and planning the draft for 2012 with different scenarios for how this year turns out. Will we need to draft a WR or will Cribbs, Robiskie and Massaquoi step up and dominate in the WCO? With Haden showing promise at CB will Young or Patterson shutdown the other side and give us the lockdown corners we need in a division that I believe is heading away from the running game and heading into the passing game? This is how I would like to see the Browns spend the 2 1st round picks they have and the 2nd round they have.

    1- Justin Blackmon, WR, OSU- Just in case our WRs don't work out. Potential to be a force to be reckoned with, of course potential doesn't always translate.

    1- Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska- Hopefully Fletcher or Sheard excel, if not then this addition will give us a stronger front four.

    2- Don'ta Hightower, LB, 'Bama- Fujita is getting old but still valuable. Jackson is good when healthy. Hightower would add skill and youth to build on.

    The only other position I see that may get drafted is OL, not because our line is weak but to strenghten it.

    Never walk away from home ahead of your axe and sword. You can't feel a battle in your bones or forsee a fight. -The Havamal (Book of Viking Wisdom)
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Harry Buffalo Harry BuffaloH
      • 3k Posts
      • 241 Reputation
      Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
      #2

      The guy we brought in at CB is a nickel at best. The only way we don't draft another CB in round 1-3 next year is if Skrine keeps showing promise and makes Heckert believe that he can be that 2nd guy. I think if we go the route of the WR we look at fast guys. Alot of the top guys only run around a 4.45-4.5 and I think we will be looking into the high 4.3 to low 4.4 range. I think our biggest focus next year in the first round will be at LB. You are right Fujita is getting up there in age I feel it would be rather easy to improve on the talent we have in Gocong. I personally like the kid from Arizona if he comes out in the draft or the MLB from ND. I think our first two picks in the first round will most like play out as 1st pick being a LB and the 2nd pick being a CB (cross your fingers for Minnfield).

      Ruining threads since 1897.
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Nw220 N
        • 1k Posts
        • 27 Reputation
        N Nw220 wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Heres a list of some the guys i really like.

        1.Chase Minnifeild-Son of former Browns great and one of the top players at the CB Position,seen alot of tape on him and i like him better than other CB in this class and its a great one.

        2.Justin Blackmon/Alshon Jeffery-These two both are beasts and will be top 10 picks perhaps.

        3.Vontaze Burfict LB, ARZ ST.-He has a mean streak but if he can control think young Ray Lewis.

        4.Manti Te'o, OLB, Notre Dame

        5.Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College-Has been graded out as the best ILB prospect since Patrick Willis.

        Ill add more later but these are off the top of my head and should be excatly the players the Browns need.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • pizzadeliveryguy P
          • 632 Posts
          • 15 Reputation
          P pizzadeliveryguy wrote on last edited by
          #4

          I like Andrew Luck.

          hoortaH 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • chrisP_chicken C
            • 101 Posts
            • 11 Reputation
            C chrisP_chicken wrote on last edited by
            #5

            I'd like to see zontaze burfict, then minnifeild, then sanu for our second.

            Trade our 3rd and one of our 4ths to get back in the second to take ray-ray Armstrong

            Rounds 4-5 Id like to see a burner rb, like 4.35 or slightly slower, another smaller, athletic, undersized d-end

            Then 6-7 are more fill spots depending on what we don't grab in free agency

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 5k Posts
              • 1k Reputation
              jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              all I know about the 2012 draft as of right now, IMO. if we stink it up and are around the top 5, we need to trade the farm for Andrew Luck. I'm saying that solely based on what I've seen of last year and making a hopefully wrong assumption Colt doesn't show promise. Of course, many people (not me I might add) were sold on Jake Locker last year and you saw what happened. So who knows, i think it's way too early to think about this without watching the guys play

              C The GipperT 2 Replies Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • ClevelandBigDawg C
                • 571 Posts
                • 8 Reputation
                C ClevelandBigDawg wrote on last edited by
                #7

                Depending on our picks I want

                Vontaze Burfict

                ND Kid

                LaMichael James

                Alshon Jeffery

                Justin Blackmon

                RT

                Andrew Luck (If we are in position to get him, I can't imagine Colt as have having a very good season)

                DE

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • jrb12711J jrb12711

                  all I know about the 2012 draft as of right now, IMO. if we stink it up and are around the top 5, we need to trade the farm for Andrew Luck. I'm saying that solely based on what I've seen of last year and making a hopefully wrong assumption Colt doesn't show promise. Of course, many people (not me I might add) were sold on Jake Locker last year and you saw what happened. So who knows, i think it's way too early to think about this without watching the guys play

                  chrisP_chicken C
                  • 101 Posts
                  • 11 Reputation
                  C chrisP_chicken wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @jrb12711 said:

                  all I know about the 2012 draft as of right now, IMO. if we stink it up and are around the top 5, we need to trade the farm for Andrew Luck. I'm saying that solely based on what I've seen of last year and making a hopefully wrong assumption Colt doesn't show promise. Of course, many people (not me I might add) were sold on Jake Locker last year and you saw what happened. So who knows, i think it's way too early to think about this without watching the guys play

                  I agree about Luck. If we tank next year, it will be because of Colt not living up to our expectations (but that never happens to us....) in which case you do whatever possible to get him. That will be a boatload harder this coming year tho, based on the pure talent of the kid along with the new rookie wage scale making that top pick far less risky and expensive. That means a lot more teams willing to take that chance.

                  I also agree that a lot could change in a season, and many of the top prospects could completely fall off the radar and vice versa. Other than Minnifeild which has obvious sentimental value, my picks are mostly position based.

                  I should have said, with our first pick i hope we take the best available middle/strongside linebacker. Someone who can obviously stuff the run, but also has the ability to get after the QB, giving Dick more flexibility with his blitz packages.

                  Our second pick is still Minnifeild. If nothing else I know our defense is going to be special here soon and i just want him to be a part of it. How major is up to him.

                  With the second rounder I guess it depends on how our WR's pan out this year. I'm about 50/50 on whether we have a #2 wideout on our roster currently. If not we should take another tall, physical wr. I see this being a deep wr class, so there will be good options to play opposite Little.

                  There aren't any safeties with a first round grade on them right now, which could obviously change. But if either Lester or Armstrong are still on the board (or another unamed safety that could emerge) mid to late second, I would be ecstatic with that pick. If the safeties aren't worth the pick, best available end would be just as good.

                  We fill those holes, and I REALLY like how this team is looking. A couple more role players in free agency, and adding competitive depth with the later picks and not only do we have talent at every position on our roster, but young talent, with depth at more positions than I've ever seen this team have.

                  And yes, this is based on my assumption that colt succeeds in his sophomore year, leaving us at about a 7-9 9-7 record which I know is far from a given

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • P pizzadeliveryguy

                    I like Andrew Luck.

                    hoorta hoortaH Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                    • 20k Posts
                    • 5k Reputation
                    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

                    I like Andrew Luck.

                    So does any team in the NFL without a legit starting qb. I'll predict the Bungles are going to stink it up badly enough this year to have the #1 pick, and they won't trade out of it regardless of what anyone else offers them. Even should the Browns draft top 5, our two first rounders and a second won't be enough to move up to #1.

                    Assuming the Browns draft out of the top ten, it will be a LB or CB with the first pick.

                    jrb12711J 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • hoortaH hoorta

                      @pizzadeliveryguy said:

                      I like Andrew Luck.

                      So does any team in the NFL without a legit starting qb. I'll predict the Bungles are going to stink it up badly enough this year to have the #1 pick, and they won't trade out of it regardless of what anyone else offers them. Even should the Browns draft top 5, our two first rounders and a second won't be enough to move up to #1.

                      Assuming the Browns draft out of the top ten, it will be a LB or CB with the first pick.

                      jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                      • 5k Posts
                      • 1k Reputation
                      jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @hoorta said:

                      So does any team in the NFL without a legit starting qb. I'll predict the Bungles are going to stink it up badly enough this year to have the #1 pick, and they won't trade out of it regardless of what anyone else offers them. Even should the Browns draft top 5, our two first rounders and a second won't be enough to move up to #1.

                      Assuming the Browns draft out of the top ten, it will be a LB or CB with the first pick.

                      yea, stuff like this is why it's just too hard to really say anything about it until about march of next year. I mean, what if a team like say the titans tanks this year? do you really think they'd invest two high 1st rounders on QB's in two years? It's nearly impossible to say, but I'll i'm saying is as of today Luck is worth 2 first round picks and a 3rd or 4th.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Harry Buffalo Harry BuffaloH
                        • 3k Posts
                        • 241 Reputation
                        Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        How much do you think the 1st round pick next year would be worth? Ricky Williams was worth 1 1/2 drafts so how much would a team have to give up for Luck.

                        Ruining threads since 1897.
                        P 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Silverback S
                          • 164 Posts
                          • 1 Reputation
                          S Silverback wrote on last edited by Silverback
                          #12

                          I'm really surprised to see so many of you saying you want Vontaze Burfict. He is a mean dude, hard hitter, plays on the edge of the rules, has been known to injure other players, and some would say he is just downright dirty. Brufict is the exact type of player so many of you profess to hate when they are on other teams.

                          I'm confused. Do Browns fans like tough physical football or not? Seems like they just like hard hitters when they are on the Browns (Ward hit on Shipley) and dirty play (Turkey Jones) and not on other teams (Harrison hits on Massengil and Cribbs)

                          The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • jrb12711J jrb12711

                            all I know about the 2012 draft as of right now, IMO. if we stink it up and are around the top 5, we need to trade the farm for Andrew Luck. I'm saying that solely based on what I've seen of last year and making a hopefully wrong assumption Colt doesn't show promise. Of course, many people (not me I might add) were sold on Jake Locker last year and you saw what happened. So who knows, i think it's way too early to think about this without watching the guys play

                            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                            • 57k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @jrb12711 said:

                            all I know about the 2012 draft as of right now, IMO. if we stink it up and are around the top 5, we need to trade the farm for Andrew Luck. I'm saying that solely based on what I've seen of last year and making a hopefully wrong assumption Colt doesn't show promise. Of course, many people (not me I might add) were sold on Jake Locker last year and you saw what happened. So who knows, i think it's way too early to think about this without watching the guys play

                            Of course, for all we know the evaluation of Locker after his junior year may have been dead right. He may come in and kill it in the NFL. (and contrariwise, Cam Newtom may become a bust)

                            But, keep eyes on Travis Lewis, OLB Oklahoma.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • Harry BuffaloH Harry Buffalo

                              How much do you think the 1st round pick next year would be worth? Ricky Williams was worth 1 1/2 drafts so how much would a team have to give up for Luck.

                              pizzadeliveryguy P
                              • 632 Posts
                              • 15 Reputation
                              P pizzadeliveryguy wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              Hillis-iz-Boss said:

                              How much do you think the 1st round pick next year would be worth? Ricky Williams was worth 1 1/2 drafts so how much would a team have to give up for Luck.

                              That had more to do with Ditka's stupidity than actual market value but yeah, it would take a lot to move up.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • S Silverback

                                I'm really surprised to see so many of you saying you want Vontaze Burfict. He is a mean dude, hard hitter, plays on the edge of the rules, has been known to injure other players, and some would say he is just downright dirty. Brufict is the exact type of player so many of you profess to hate when they are on other teams.

                                I'm confused. Do Browns fans like tough physical football or not? Seems like they just like hard hitters when they are on the Browns (Ward hit on Shipley) and dirty play (Turkey Jones) and not on other teams (Harrison hits on Massengil and Cribbs)

                                The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                • 57k Posts
                                • 4k Reputation
                                The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @silverback said:

                                I'm really surprised to see so many of you saying you want Vontaze Burfict. He is a mean dude, hard hitter, plays on the edge of the rules, has been known to injure other players, and some would say he is just downright dirty. Brufict is the exact type of player so many of you profess to hate when they are on other teams.

                                I'm confused. Do Browns fans like tough physical football or not? Seems like they just like hard hitters when they are on the Browns (Ward hit on Shipley) and dirty play (Turkey Jones) and not on other teams (Harrison hits on Massengil and Cribbs)

                                We like when Browns players play tough physical football. We also like it when stupid, dirty Steeler players get bitch slapped by the league. Obviously the league and the other NFL players believe the Steelers are the dirtiest. They are the most fined team in the league and one player has even won a vote of other NFL players as the dirtiest in the league.

                                If Browns players do something wrong, they just take their lumps from the league, pay their fine, do their tme and then go about their business. They don't whine to the media, or whine on twitter or whine to their mommies, or vote against the CBA because of it.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply

                                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                Register Login
                                Reply
                                • Reply as topic
                                Log in to reply
                                • Oldest to Newest
                                • Newest to Oldest
                                • Most Votes


                                Theme
                                • System
                                • Light
                                • Dark
                                The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                • First post
                                  Last post
                                0
                                • Forums
                                • Recent
                                • Popular
                                • Users
                                • Donate