Skip to content

Underclassmen declaring

The Browns Board
65 16 4.2k
  • Zombo said:

    He has impressed the hell out of me when I have watched him. And his HS and college production is off the charts.

    If he were there early 2nd round I'd think you'd have to jump on that.

    Zombo

    I would be on board with this. I've seen McCoy play a lot the last two years and he's impressed me. I would be happy with him or Greene in the second round. One of them should be there.

  • Now it looks like Lesean McCoy is going to take the weekend to decide if he's staying or not.

    Here's a list of underclassmen that have declared.

    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11233741

  • Now it looks like Lesean McCoy is going to take the weekend to decide if he's staying or not.

    Here's a list of underclassmen that have declared.

    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11233741

    @wvbrownsfan said:

    Now it looks like Lesean McCoy is going to take the weekend to decide if he's staying or not.

    Here's a list of underclassmen that have declared.

    http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11233741

    Best available RB in second round....nothing but ILB in first and I'd be dream land!

  • I updated the underclassmen declaring in the thread-starter. But here's one big name staying in school: JasonJ's favorite 3-4 OLB prospect, Sergio Kindle, is returning to Texas for his senior year.

    Look for him to be one of the top linebacker prospects in 2010.

  • Reports & rumors about some highly-regarded underclassmen:

    Brandon Spikes

    Numerous teammates also said they think linebacker Brandon Spikes will also return for his senior year — largely because of Tebow's decision.

    Asked after Florida's 24-14 win against Oklahoma on Thursday if he would do what Tebow decides, Spikes smiled and said, "That's a good bet."

    Teammate Ryan Stamper said Spikes told him he was going to return, while on the team plane returning from Miami.

    "Brandon told me personally, he's coming back," Stamper said. "This was after the game."

    Percy Harvin

    Harvin told Sun Sports after Sunday’s championship celebration that he might be joining Tim Tebow for a third championship run in four seasons.

    “I’m leaning towards coming back, but I haven’t made the final decision yet, so I’ll sit down with coach tomorrow and he’ll help me make that decision,” Harvin said.

    LeSean McCoy

    Pitt star tailback LeSean McCoy is expected to announce today that he will turn professional, according to a Panthers source.

    Wannstedt declined comment yesterday, but a Pitt source said the coach used his league contacts to warn the McCoy family that, despite a first-round grade from the NFL draft advisory board, he could drop into the second round. Wannstedt also informed the McCoys that the NCAA could provide an insurance policy of up to $5 million to protect against serious injury.

    Pitt's spring semester began last Monday, and McCoy missed the entire week of classes.

  • Junior RB C.J. Spiller is “going back and forth” in his decision on whether to turn pro, [Clemson HC Dabo] Swinney said. No other juniors are contemplating leaving, Swinney said, which would mean receiver Jacoby Ford and corners Crezdon Butler and Chris Chancellor would return.
  • Thanks Al....I still think Harvin will come out as he stands the most injury risk...speed's his deal...if he loses that, it isn't good for him.

    I would like Spikes back.....but I still think he will come out....but you never know...some of these guys may want to be like our B-ballers a few years back when Noah, Horford, and Brewer all decided to come back for a 2nd run at the title.

  • Thanks Al....I still think Harvin will come out as he stands the most injury risk...speed's his deal...if he loses that, it isn't good for him.

    I would like Spikes back.....but I still think he will come out....but you never know...some of these guys may want to be like our B-ballers a few years back when Noah, Horford, and Brewer all decided to come back for a 2nd run at the title.

    @ballpeen said:

    I still think Harvin will come out as he stands the most injury risk...speed's his deal...if he loses that, it isn't good for him.

    Yeah, it'd be a pretty selfless move on his part. If he pairs that bowl performance with a sub-4.4 40 at the Combine, Harvin could end up being a top 15 pick.

    That's a lot to give up for a chance at another national championship.

  • We're said to be in need of a CB who can match up with tall receivers. I don't know much about this guy, but he seems to fit the bill:

    Smith to leave Utah for draft

    By Joe Schad

    Utah junior cornerback Sean Smith will declare for the NFL draft, a person close to Smith said Monday.

    Smith, 6-feet-3 and 210 pounds, is projected in the first two rounds, as is his teammate, sophomore defensive end Paul Kruger, who has also decided to go pro.

    Both players have already begun training for the NFL scouting combine. Smith tied for the Mountain West Conference lead with five interceptions. He helped slow down Alabama receiver Julio Jones in the Utes' Sugar Bowl victory.

    Smith hopes to run in the high 4.3 or low 4.4 40-yard dash at the combine in February.

  • Could be.

    It definitely seems like a good year to be picking near the top of Round 2. But if we have a couple targets still on the board, maybe we can trade down and accumulate some more picks.

  • Anyone a big Kurt Coleman fan? He appears to be considering turning pro.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I still think Harvin will come out as he stands the most injury risk...speed's his deal...if he loses that, it isn't good for him.

    Yeah, it'd be a pretty selfless move on his part. If he pairs that bowl performance with a sub-4.4 40 at the Combine, Harvin could end up being a top 15 pick.

    That's a lot to give up for a chance at another national championship.

    Aloysius said:

    Yeah, it'd be a pretty selfless move on his part. If he pairs that bowl performance with a sub-4.4 40 at the Combine, Harvin could end up being a top 15 pick.

    That's a lot to give up for a chance at another national championship.

    Percy is one of those guys that if he gets his jump and the track is reasonable for a runner, he could post something in the 4.2's....he is as fast as anybody, and carries it over to pads....he wasn't 100% the other night. On that 53 yard run....if mid season, he waxes that guy to the house.

    That was 4.5 that night.

  • where do you guys see harvin lining up in the league? i think he'd split time between the slot and tailback and also be some team's single-wing guy, making his versatility valuable as well as unpredictable, sort of like reggie bush with talent.

  • where do you guys see harvin lining up in the league? i think he'd split time between the slot and tailback and also be some team's single-wing guy, making his versatility valuable as well as unpredictable, sort of like reggie bush with talent.

    @jewdago said:

    sort of like reggie bush with talent.

    I can understand why you might hate Bush, as he's oft-injured, not a prototypical NFL RB, and dates a vapid slut, but that's just a dumb comment.

  • This play sucked.

  • for all his college exploits, bush hasn't done shit in the NFL aside from getting destroyed by sheldon brown. yes, saying he has no talent was definitely an overstatement, but he's really done very little in his career, especially when you compare it to what people thought he would do after leaving USC.

    my point was that harvin might be a more effective, but similar player.

  • for all his college exploits, bush hasn't done shit in the NFL aside from getting destroyed by sheldon brown. yes, saying he has no talent was definitely an overstatement, but he's really done very little in his career, especially when you compare it to what people thought he would do after leaving USC.

    my point was that harvin might be a more effective, but similar player.

    JD, I figured you were saying that for effect...well I was hoping...

    @jewdago said:

    my point was that harvin might be a more effective, but similar player.

    Harvin is very very talented, without a doubt. I think Bush is the better pure talent though, and this is taking nothing away from Percy.

    The key for these not-so-prototypical/unique guys like Harvin and Bush is to get creative with their usage. Running Bush inside the tackles 15 times per game is not what I'm talking about, Sean Payton. I realize they try to get him the ball in creative ways, but they need to try harder. Whomever drafts Harvin must do the same.

    I wish we were good enough at more positions to be in the market for a luxury item like Harvin. Us drafting him is like a homeless dude leasing a Ferrari.

  • I agree with the Reggie Bush (only better) comparison. It helps that Harvin has some experience at receiver. Neither guy's going to be good running between the tackles in the NFL, so sticking the guy at RB makes little sense.

    Here's some more underclassmen info:

    USC football: Sanchez’s dad — ‘It’s what Mark wants to do’

    Just got off the phone with USC quarterback Mark Sanchez’s father, Nick, who said his son is still undecided regarding his future.

    The family continues to gather information, but Nick Sanchez said they haven’t unearthed anything “really compelling that says this is what he really should do or not do.”

    Tossing all the variables aside, Nick said the bottom line is this: “It’s what Mark wants to do.”

    “And we haven’t gotten to that place yet,” Nick Sanchez said. “We’ll see what happens in the next couple days.”

    When I reminded him that time is running out, he said: “But we’re not out of time.”

    The deadline is Jan. 15.

    Nick said Mark returned to class today, along with the rest of USC’s students. Father and son chatted last night, but the conversation wasn’t restricted to the NFL draft decision — the last thing Nick wants to do as a dad, he said, is belabor the point.

    Nick said part of the reason the decision is so difficult is that both options are appealing.

    “You can make a good argument either way,” he said. “It’s one of those things, there’s no downside.”

  • JD, I figured you were saying that for effect...well I was hoping...

    @jewdago said:

    my point was that harvin might be a more effective, but similar player.

    Harvin is very very talented, without a doubt. I think Bush is the better pure talent though, and this is taking nothing away from Percy.

    The key for these not-so-prototypical/unique guys like Harvin and Bush is to get creative with their usage. Running Bush inside the tackles 15 times per game is not what I'm talking about, Sean Payton. I realize they try to get him the ball in creative ways, but they need to try harder. Whomever drafts Harvin must do the same.

    I wish we were good enough at more positions to be in the market for a luxury item like Harvin. Us drafting him is like a homeless dude leasing a Ferrari.

    mz. said:

    JD, I figured you were saying that for effect...well I was hoping...

    Harvin is very very talented, without a doubt. I think Bush is the better pure talent though, and this is taking nothing away from Percy.

    The key for these not-so-prototypical/unique guys like Harvin and Bush is to get creative with their usage. Running Bush inside the tackles 15 times per game is not what I'm talking about, Sean Payton. I realize they try to get him the ball in creative ways, but they need to try harder. Whomever drafts Harvin must do the same.

    I wish we were good enough at more positions to be in the market for a luxury item like Harvin. Us drafting him is like a homeless dude leasing a Ferrari.

    i was saying it for effect, but when everyone took it as a serious statement, i had to treat it as such to try and get some serious discussion on harvin going.

    i agree that there's no point in us drafting him, but his skill set is intriguing, and there are a growing number of players who have similar skills but no real position: harvin, bush, pat white, devin hester, cribbs.

    bubble screens and end arounds can't be the answer; i think good plays for them are swing passes out of the backfield, or, better yet, a pseudo-screen that looks like a checkdown in the middle of the field, out of shotgun sets with the receivers clearing space. it's like setting up another punt return, in a way. the receivers clear out the defense and, once bush/harvin/white/hester/cribbs catches it underneath, he's got enough open field to use his blockers like a punt return.

    it just seems like the traditional passing and running games don't really take advantage of these guys' strengths because they don't allow them enough room to work with.

  • I agree with your ideas RE: usage. And of the guys you mentioned (Bush, Harvin, White, Hester, Cribbs), I hate to say but Cribbs is the least versatile of the crew, though I have no idea what White will look like as an NFL receiver. Bush, Harvin, and Hester, and I'm suspecting White, are just better pure athletes, to me, than Cribbs is. Not that I don't appreciate what a guy like that can do for us.

    To me, Harvin is like a Hester with hands.