Skip to content

The Browns GM/Coach Search - from a Patsfan's perspective

The Browns Board
55 14 3.0k
  • K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    I'm just saying, I dont see us doing anything special with Mangini. Maybe one or two playoff appearances, but we need a team to look foward to in cleveland. The cavs cant be the only answer

  • ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #35

    I am not advocating Mangini. But I certainly don't get the hard knocks on him.

    Reality is, there are no sure things, no matter who CLE hires.

  • I am not advocating Mangini. But I certainly don't get the hard knocks on him.

    Reality is, there are no sure things, no matter who CLE hires.

    K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Masters said:

    I am not advocating Mangini. But I certainly don't get the hard knocks on him.

    Reality is, there are no sure things, no matter who CLE hires.

    True. I just want the right solution this time, no more experimenting, no more hiring boneheads like savage, i want the browns to be taken serious in the league.... maybe eventually be in the same sentence with the Patriots, Colts, and Giants.

  • Masters said:

    I am not advocating Mangini. But I certainly don't get the hard knocks on him.

    Reality is, there are no sure things, no matter who CLE hires.

    True. I just want the right solution this time, no more experimenting, no more hiring boneheads like savage, i want the browns to be taken serious in the league.... maybe eventually be in the same sentence with the Patriots, Colts, and Giants.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #37

    @kardiackid26 said:

    True. I just want the right solution this time, no more experimenting, no more hiring boneheads like savage, i want the browns to be taken serious in the league.... maybe eventually be in the same sentence with the Patriots, Colts, and Giants.

    Don't we all.

    On the plus side, Mangini really wouldn't be experimenting.

  • @kardiackid26 said:

    True. I just want the right solution this time, no more experimenting, no more hiring boneheads like savage, i want the browns to be taken serious in the league.... maybe eventually be in the same sentence with the Patriots, Colts, and Giants.

    Don't we all.

    On the plus side, Mangini really wouldn't be experimenting.

    K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    Masters said:

    Don't we all.

    On the plus side, Mangini really wouldn't be experimenting.

    I meant not experimenting with with college coaches or anyone who hasn't coached before. We've been down that road before

  • Masters said:

    Don't we all.

    On the plus side, Mangini really wouldn't be experimenting.

    I meant not experimenting with with college coaches or anyone who hasn't coached before. We've been down that road before

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @kardiackid26 said:

    I meant not experimenting with with college coaches or anyone who hasn't coached before. We've been down that road before

    I followed you. That was my point on Mangini. He has experience at HC and isn't coming from college.

    One thing for sure, no college coaches. They don't work.

  • K KardiacKid26 wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Lol sorry. I just have mixed feelings about this whole thing. I mean Lerner obviously is doing the best he can, I just hope he makes the RIGHT decision this time around and get it right.

  • J JoeSixPat wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Looks like there's a good chance the Brown fans here are going to get their wish and get Mangini, and his hand picked GM candidate.

    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/04/...#comment-180951

    I won't bother arguing any football points as before since its clear no one wants to address any of it - though I will reiterate that Mangini had considerable input into how the Jets spent $140 million in offseason cash - which resulted in an 8-8 season under his management. (Yes, believe it or not Patriots fans are actually quite knowledgable about the goings on of a division rival)

    Sure, the Kool-Aid says blame Tannenbaum rather than your potential head coach (and defacto GM, since he's the one Lerner seems to be abdicating that choice to) but I can't help but notice that the Jets owner fired Mangini, not Tannenbaum.

    But in general I hope everything works out for you guys potentially bringing in a former Patriot defensive coordinator and Ravens personnel guy! Seems like a proven combination from my perspective.

    What could possibly go wrong?

  • Looks like there's a good chance the Brown fans here are going to get their wish and get Mangini, and his hand picked GM candidate.

    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/04/...#comment-180951

    I won't bother arguing any football points as before since its clear no one wants to address any of it - though I will reiterate that Mangini had considerable input into how the Jets spent $140 million in offseason cash - which resulted in an 8-8 season under his management. (Yes, believe it or not Patriots fans are actually quite knowledgable about the goings on of a division rival)

    Sure, the Kool-Aid says blame Tannenbaum rather than your potential head coach (and defacto GM, since he's the one Lerner seems to be abdicating that choice to) but I can't help but notice that the Jets owner fired Mangini, not Tannenbaum.

    But in general I hope everything works out for you guys potentially bringing in a former Patriot defensive coordinator and Ravens personnel guy! Seems like a proven combination from my perspective.

    What could possibly go wrong?

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @joesixpat said:

    which resulted in an 8-8 season under his management. (Yes, believe it or not Patriots fans are actually quite knowledgable about the goings on of a division rival)

    You lost me, and blew your note above as soon as you stated the record. If you know what you rivals are doing, how do you not know they were 9-7, not 8-8 🙄

  • @kardiackid26 said:

    I meant not experimenting with with college coaches or anyone who hasn't coached before. We've been down that road before

    I followed you. That was my point on Mangini. He has experience at HC and isn't coming from college.

    One thing for sure, no college coaches. They don't work.

    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by rich4eagle
    #43

    Masters said:

    I followed you. That was my point on Mangini. He has experience at HC and isn't coming from college.

    One thing for sure, no college coaches. They don't work.

    Especially Paul Brown he was a failure coming from college and Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer and Don Coryell and Tom Coughlin and Sid Gillman and Jim Lee Howell and Hank Stram......to name a few busts who came from college

  • BrownIndianB BrownIndian wrote on last edited by
    #44

    Lets hire McKay and let him hire the coach.

    I dont like Pioli from what ive read and I dont want "SAvage New and Improved part -2"

  • @joesixpat said:

    which resulted in an 8-8 season under his management. (Yes, believe it or not Patriots fans are actually quite knowledgable about the goings on of a division rival)

    You lost me, and blew your note above as soon as you stated the record. If you know what you rivals are doing, how do you not know they were 9-7, not 8-8 🙄

    J JoeSixPat wrote on last edited by JoeSixPat
    #45

    Masters said:

    You lost me, and blew your note above as soon as you stated the record. If you know what you rivals are doing, how do you not know they were 9-7, not 8-8 🙄

    🙄

    You might want to study up on your potential head coach. Without Dick Jauron literally turning a win into a loss, Mangini's 8-8. Not that I'm expecting any Browns fans to follow the Jets or any AFC East team quite that closely.

  • Masters said:

    You lost me, and blew your note above as soon as you stated the record. If you know what you rivals are doing, how do you not know they were 9-7, not 8-8 🙄

    🙄

    You might want to study up on your potential head coach. Without Dick Jauron literally turning a win into a loss, Mangini's 8-8. Not that I'm expecting any Browns fans to follow the Jets or any AFC East team quite that closely.

    V Vegasdogg wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @joesixpat said:

    🙄

    You might want to study up on your potential head coach. Without Dick Jauron literally turning a win into a loss, Mangini's 8-8. Not that I'm expecting any Browns fans to follow the Jets or any AFC East team quite that closely.

    He was right and you were wrong. They were 9-7. Dick Jauron didn't cough up the football, nor did he call the play - a galactically stupid play call.

    Let me tell you something about the Browns fans on this board. We follow everybody, so while you were treated with some disdain when you first arrived, perhaps you can set that aside for awhile and not take it so personally.

  • V Vegasdogg wrote on last edited by
    #47

    Zombo said:

    I just don't see that he's ever really accomplished anything.

    Zombo

    Apparently he is a good interviewee. 🙄🙄🙄

    Lerner is enamored with him. Enthralled with him. Whatever.

  • ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #48

    Zombo said:

    2004 with Crennel as DC, patriots defense was #2 by points and #9 by yards.

    2005 with Mangini as DC, they dropped to 17th and 26th.

    2006 without Mangini they are 2nd and 6th

    Jets defense was ranked 7th and 12th in 04-05 under Herm Edwards, then 20th, 18th and 16th with Mangini.

    I just don't see that he's ever really accomplished anything.

    Zombo

    Those are some damning statistics, thanks for doing the legwork.

    I'd say it isn't that he's never really accomplished anything. It's much much worse than that. But I think you meant to undersell the fact...

    Hopefully it's his supposed rapport with players that we'd hire him for. Not his defensive creativity/playcalling.

  • @joesixpat said:

    🙄

    You might want to study up on your potential head coach. Without Dick Jauron literally turning a win into a loss, Mangini's 8-8. Not that I'm expecting any Browns fans to follow the Jets or any AFC East team quite that closely.

    He was right and you were wrong. They were 9-7. Dick Jauron didn't cough up the football, nor did he call the play - a galactically stupid play call.

    Let me tell you something about the Browns fans on this board. We follow everybody, so while you were treated with some disdain when you first arrived, perhaps you can set that aside for awhile and not take it so personally.

    J JoeSixPat wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @vegasdogg said:

    He was right and you were wrong. They were 9-7. Dick Jauron didn't cough up the football, nor did he call the play - a galactically stupid play call.

    Let me tell you something about the Browns fans on this board. We follow everybody, so while you were treated with some disdain when you first arrived, perhaps you can set that aside for awhile and not take it so personally.

    You really think I don't know exactly what their record was? :rofl:

    Had the Bills not given that game away with a bonehead playcall the Patriots are in the playoffs right now.

    I don't care who Jauron or anyone else blames for it. You sure can't give any credit to Mangini's "genius" for the Bills giving that game away - for all intents and purposes he's an 8-8 coach.

  • @vegasdogg said:

    He was right and you were wrong. They were 9-7. Dick Jauron didn't cough up the football, nor did he call the play - a galactically stupid play call.

    Let me tell you something about the Browns fans on this board. We follow everybody, so while you were treated with some disdain when you first arrived, perhaps you can set that aside for awhile and not take it so personally.

    You really think I don't know exactly what their record was? :rofl:

    Had the Bills not given that game away with a bonehead playcall the Patriots are in the playoffs right now.

    I don't care who Jauron or anyone else blames for it. You sure can't give any credit to Mangini's "genius" for the Bills giving that game away - for all intents and purposes he's an 8-8 coach.

    V Vegasdogg wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @joesixpat said:

    Had the Bills not given that game away with a bonehead playcall the Patriots are in the playoffs right now.

    Oh okay genius. I guess losing to Mangini's Jets had nothing to do with you guys missing the playoffs. Or taking a giant shit against the Steelers had zero to do with you missing the playoffs.

    After Pittsburgh handed you your ass, you beat SEA (by only 3), OAK, ARI and BUF. I am not impressed.

    Save your Bostonian whining for another board, we're all stocked up here.

  • @joesixpat said:

    🙄

    You might want to study up on your potential head coach. Without Dick Jauron literally turning a win into a loss, Mangini's 8-8. Not that I'm expecting any Browns fans to follow the Jets or any AFC East team quite that closely.

    He was right and you were wrong. They were 9-7. Dick Jauron didn't cough up the football, nor did he call the play - a galactically stupid play call.

    Let me tell you something about the Browns fans on this board. We follow everybody, so while you were treated with some disdain when you first arrived, perhaps you can set that aside for awhile and not take it so personally.

    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
    #51

    @vegasdogg said:

    He was right and you were wrong. They were 9-7. Dick Jauron didn't cough up the football, nor did he call the play - a galactically stupid play call.

    Let me tell you something about the Browns fans on this board. We follow everybody, so while you were treated with some disdain when you first arrived, perhaps you can set that aside for awhile and not take it so personally.

    Jauron did call the play and said he did after the game

  • Masters said:

    I followed you. That was my point on Mangini. He has experience at HC and isn't coming from college.

    One thing for sure, no college coaches. They don't work.

    Especially Paul Brown he was a failure coming from college and Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer and Don Coryell and Tom Coughlin and Sid Gillman and Jim Lee Howell and Hank Stram......to name a few busts who came from college

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @rich4eagle said:

    Especially Paul Brown he was a failure coming from college and Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer and Don Coryell and Tom Coughlin and Sid Gillman and Jim Lee Howell and Hank Stram......to name a few busts who came from college

    Let's see Rich, 90% of your list include guys from 20 years ago. This ain't the same NFL it was 20 years ago.

    So let me be more specific, it doesn't work today in the NFL.

  • Masters said:

    You lost me, and blew your note above as soon as you stated the record. If you know what you rivals are doing, how do you not know they were 9-7, not 8-8 🙄

    🙄

    You might want to study up on your potential head coach. Without Dick Jauron literally turning a win into a loss, Mangini's 8-8. Not that I'm expecting any Browns fans to follow the Jets or any AFC East team quite that closely.

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @joesixpat said:

    🙄

    You might want to study up on your potential head coach. Without Dick Jauron literally turning a win into a loss, Mangini's 8-8. Not that I'm expecting any Browns fans to follow the Jets or any AFC East team quite that closely.

    But what was their record? I didn't realize the NFL took away wins for another teams bad coaching.

    So I guess you didn't see Favre go through his last 4 games with 2 TDs and 8 INTs.....