Skip to content

Did Ed Reed Takeover Today's game????

The Browns Board
48 12 3.7k
  • Remind me again who it was that we picked over Ed Reed....so I can really get a healthy case of heartburn going.

    We screwed the pooch on that one.

    Doug

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #4

    @furnier said:

    Remind me again who it was that we picked over Ed Reed....so I can really get a healthy case of heartburn going.

    We screwed the pooch on that one.

    Doug

    That would be Willie Green. Reed was taken maybe 5 or 6 slots later.

  • @furnier said:

    Remind me again who it was that we picked over Ed Reed....so I can really get a healthy case of heartburn going.

    We screwed the pooch on that one.

    Doug

    That would be Willie Green. Reed was taken maybe 5 or 6 slots later.

    FurnierF Furnier wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @ballpeen said:

    That would be Willie Green. Reed was taken maybe 5 or 6 slots later.

    Ugggghhh!

    DWJ

  • rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
    #6

    What makes Taylor Mays more than a banger...........................because the two guys you mentioned Reed and Polamalu are way more than hitters............they are playmakers superb..... 🙄 ...is Taylor Mays a playmaker or just another banger?????????

    This team is devoid of offensive playmaking talent we need to look their first especially at RB.......if you cannot score you cannot win........finding a safety right now is the least of this teams problems.........as we have no offensive playmakers and a front seven MIA

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #7

    You think you could get that pic in your sig large enough to take up the whole screen??😉

    Yep...we blew that deal.

  • @furnier said:

    Remind me again who it was that we picked over Ed Reed....so I can really get a healthy case of heartburn going.

    We screwed the pooch on that one.

    Doug

    That would be Willie Green. Reed was taken maybe 5 or 6 slots later.

    listercatL listercat wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @ballpeen said:

    That would be Willie Green. Reed was taken maybe 5 or 6 slots later.

    Good God!

  • What makes Taylor Mays more than a banger...........................because the two guys you mentioned Reed and Polamalu are way more than hitters............they are playmakers superb..... 🙄 ...is Taylor Mays a playmaker or just another banger?????????

    This team is devoid of offensive playmaking talent we need to look their first especially at RB.......if you cannot score you cannot win........finding a safety right now is the least of this teams problems.........as we have no offensive playmakers and a front seven MIA

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @rich4eagle said:

    as we have no offensive playmakers and a front seven MIA

    Winslow, Edwards, and Harrision are playmakers (I know you will disagree on Winslow, so save it). CLE needs another good young RB for sure.

    They could use help on the DLine and LB corps as well. We agree on that. Though a saftey that can make a regular impact against the run, like a Mays is not exactly a bad think for CLE. I also factor that Jones may leave (he is a FA), so that leaves a hole at one saftey spot.

  • BUNSofSTEEL08B BUNSofSTEEL08 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Dont be tricked by Harrison... he is on the field on 3rd downs... against Nickle and Dime Defenses. And he is fine doing that. He is NO Every down back.....

  • ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Perhaps not, FREAK, but he can certainly be a bigger part of a RBBC than two touches per.

  • @rich4eagle said:

    as we have no offensive playmakers and a front seven MIA

    Winslow, Edwards, and Harrision are playmakers (I know you will disagree on Winslow, so save it). CLE needs another good young RB for sure.

    They could use help on the DLine and LB corps as well. We agree on that. Though a saftey that can make a regular impact against the run, like a Mays is not exactly a bad think for CLE. I also factor that Jones may leave (he is a FA), so that leaves a hole at one saftey spot.

    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Masters said:

    Winslow, Edwards, and Harrision are playmakers (I know you will disagree on Winslow, so save it). CLE needs another good young RB for sure.

    They could use help on the DLine and LB corps as well. We agree on that. Though a saftey that can make a regular impact against the run, like a Mays is not exactly a bad think for CLE. I also factor that Jones may leave (he is a FA), so that leaves a hole at one saftey spot.

    Excuse me Winslow is slow and cannot block and has bum knees...........and catches dink passes which part of that is a playmaker...............Edwards has dropsy is he going get over it anytime soon which part of that is a playmaker..........and does Harrsion have a career total of 200 yards rushing which part of that is a playmaker after two years or where our coaches just really stupid and missed his great playmaking ability..............everything you said is a stretch........all three of those guys are ordinary as it stands today

    I think a true cover corner or free safety that is a ballhawk who has great instincts is much greater than a banger in helping a secondary.............is Mays either of those if so I would consider him with a second round pick............right now I strongly suggest we take the best skill player available unless they are all unimpressive

  • Masters said:

    Winslow, Edwards, and Harrision are playmakers (I know you will disagree on Winslow, so save it). CLE needs another good young RB for sure.

    They could use help on the DLine and LB corps as well. We agree on that. Though a saftey that can make a regular impact against the run, like a Mays is not exactly a bad think for CLE. I also factor that Jones may leave (he is a FA), so that leaves a hole at one saftey spot.

    Excuse me Winslow is slow and cannot block and has bum knees...........and catches dink passes which part of that is a playmaker...............Edwards has dropsy is he going get over it anytime soon which part of that is a playmaker..........and does Harrsion have a career total of 200 yards rushing which part of that is a playmaker after two years or where our coaches just really stupid and missed his great playmaking ability..............everything you said is a stretch........all three of those guys are ordinary as it stands today

    I think a true cover corner or free safety that is a ballhawk who has great instincts is much greater than a banger in helping a secondary.............is Mays either of those if so I would consider him with a second round pick............right now I strongly suggest we take the best skill player available unless they are all unimpressive

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @rich4eagle said:

    is Mays either of those if so I would consider him with a second round pick

    Again, that isn't how the NFL works. If you want to have Mays, you have to use a top ten pick on him, because that's the grade he'll get if he declares. If not, you don't get him. Simple.

    Unless I guess if you go mafia style like you plan on doing with Bill Polian...

  • Dont be tricked by Harrison... he is on the field on 3rd downs... against Nickle and Dime Defenses. And he is fine doing that. He is NO Every down back.....

    ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #14

    FREAKofSTEEL08 said:

    Dont be tricked by Harrison... he is on the field on 3rd downs... against Nickle and Dime Defenses. And he is fine doing that. He is NO Every down back.....

    Except all his big plays have not come in that position. But rather when getting carries on 1st and 2nd down. Hell, he's bigger than Parker, and rushed for more yards in college than Reggie Bush.

  • You think you could get that pic in your sig large enough to take up the whole screen??😉

    Yep...we blew that deal.

    FurnierF Furnier wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @ballpeen said:

    You think you could get that pic in your sig large enough to take up the whole screen??😉

    Yep...we blew that deal.

    I tried shrinking her with the Photobucket software, but she keeps showing up huge. I guess Little Betty wants to be noticed. Pretty isn't she?

    Doug

  • ATENEARSA ATENEARS wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I can remember arguing with Rich about Safeties a few years back. Him stating that they are the least important to a team and using one of his "dime a dozen" phrases.

    I want an "ERASER" such as the two mentioned as well as Bob Sanders (How did Tressel miss on him out of erie PA?). A guy that can "erase" mistakes, especially from these posers we have at LB.

    I love the Safety position, we haven't had one since our re-birth. Please, don't insult the position mentioning Sean Jones.

  • rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Kellen Winslow Jr. said:

    People need to stop worrying about offense. We dont NEED a RB. Our defense needs all the help it can get right now. Just remember, defense not only stops the other team but it can score just as well with the right pieces.

    Offense wins games, Defense wins championships. Just look at 2007.

    WRONG OFFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS AND DEFENSE KEEPS YOU IN GAMES

  • ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Offense puts fans in the seats, defense wins championships. Ask Cowher, BB, or any other great coach. Or, just look at SB history.

    No one is saying you can win with total crap on O, but having a D that requires you to only score 17 points to win a game gives you trophies.

  • I can remember arguing with Rich about Safeties a few years back. Him stating that they are the least important to a team and using one of his "dime a dozen" phrases.

    I want an "ERASER" such as the two mentioned as well as Bob Sanders (How did Tressel miss on him out of erie PA?). A guy that can "erase" mistakes, especially from these posers we have at LB.

    I love the Safety position, we haven't had one since our re-birth. Please, don't insult the position mentioning Sean Jones.

    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by rich4eagle
    #19

    @atenears said:

    I can remember arguing with Rich about Safeties a few years back. Him stating that they are the least important to a team and using one of his "dime a dozen" phrases.

    I want an "ERASER" such as the two mentioned as well as Bob Sanders (How did Tressel miss on him out of erie PA?). A guy that can "erase" mistakes, especially from these posers we have at LB.

    I love the Safety position, we haven't had one since our re-birth. Please, don't insult the position mentioning Sean Jones.

    What you stated about my position is a half truth................my position on Stong Safety is it is the easiest position to fill on a defensive......"thus dime a dozen" same as offensive linemen............

    However a true "free Safety" ballhawk is a precious commodity.................and highly valuable..............just to keep the record straight on my positon............and yes indeed a strong safety who is true banger is a real asset.................but a free safety ballhawk and banger is which is an uncommon set is more than precious.,..........OK?????????

    BTW, Ed Reed is a free safety and even though the Steelers list Polamalu as the SS he is more a free safety than a SS and Ryan Clark the FS(who is also a hitter) are really interchangeable with Polamalu actually being more the FS

  • ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #20

    Hell, if I look at the NE teams that won SBs, I could say RBs and WRs are dime a dozen.

  • What makes Taylor Mays more than a banger...........................because the two guys you mentioned Reed and Polamalu are way more than hitters............they are playmakers superb..... 🙄 ...is Taylor Mays a playmaker or just another banger?????????

    This team is devoid of offensive playmaking talent we need to look their first especially at RB.......if you cannot score you cannot win........finding a safety right now is the least of this teams problems.........as we have no offensive playmakers and a front seven MIA

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @rich4eagle said:

    What makes Taylor Mays more than a banger...........................because the two guys you mentioned Reed and Polamalu are way more than hitters............they are playmakers superb..... 🙄 ...is Taylor Mays a playmaker or just another banger?????????

    This team is devoid of offensive playmaking talent we need to look their first especially at RB.......if you cannot score you cannot win........finding a safety right now is the least of this teams problems.........as we have no offensive playmakers and a front seven MIA

    Rich,

    I didn't post this to argue with you. Right now, you're on a mission to argue that anything we do or consider is an error so there's no point.

    If you saw Mays vrs Penn State - you have your answer. If not, I don't want to play this game.

    We have TONS of needs but they always say in round 1 you take the best player available over need. Don't shoot the mailman.

    Countless GOOD RBs came after round 1 like Steve Slaton, Ryan Powell, Maurice Jones-Drew, Frank Gore, Brian Westbrook, Michael Turner, Sammy Morris, Le'Ron McClain, Brandon Jacobs and Derrick Ward just off the top of my head. Somebody like Wilie Parker wasn't even drafted.

    WRs like Marques Colston, Jerricho Cotchery, and Wes Welker were all day 2 draftees. Davone Bess was an ubdrafted free agent.

    NE drafts TEs in the first round like Ben Watson and Daniel Graham si I'm sure you've stopped calling that stupid but I remember Bill Belichick wanting Kyle Brady for us and knee jerking for Craig Powell when he lost his mind in panic over the Jets stealing his thunder.

    KW has been a good player based on what he has been through phsyically. I wouldn't be opposed to trying to trade him because people around the league see his perseverence, work ethic and recent Pro Bowl resume enough to see value in adding him.

    As I've said, I think you're an intelligent person BUT when you're venting your frustration about this franchise - you're gonna be negative and arguementative no matter what the subject matter is.

    We have SEVERAL needs but as I saw today a playmaker like Ed Reed can divert everyone's attention off the reality that Flacco only went 9 of 23 passing. I haven't seen too many 235 pound Freaks running 4.2s but Mays lodged the football loose on 2 different collisions so I saw what I needed to in the BIG Game. When you make those Big plays in the Big game - you get cred for having serious game.

    If it was BB drafting a Safety - you'd change criteria like you do with the TE thing and call it the perfect move. And why? He's not employed by Lerner right? Come on - take off the battle armour if you want a sensible discussion.

    - Tom F.

  • I can remember arguing with Rich about Safeties a few years back. Him stating that they are the least important to a team and using one of his "dime a dozen" phrases.

    I want an "ERASER" such as the two mentioned as well as Bob Sanders (How did Tressel miss on him out of erie PA?). A guy that can "erase" mistakes, especially from these posers we have at LB.

    I love the Safety position, we haven't had one since our re-birth. Please, don't insult the position mentioning Sean Jones.

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @atenears said:

    I want an "ERASER" such as the two mentioned as well as Bob Sanders (How did Tressel miss on him out of erie PA?).

    Simple.

    That amazing talent evaluator Kirk Ferentz found him first. 😉

  • ? Masters wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Great post Tom!!!!!!!