Skip to content

Did Ed Reed Takeover Today's game????

The Browns Board
48 12 3.7k
  • I was not discussing yesterday as the enveloping story of success..........I was pointing where the RB's got drafted on the 12 teams that made the playoffs.......not that you have to find them there but success in finding big time stars often comes in round one

    I also was trying make a case that having great running backs leads to playoff teams and that first round backs usually become the best backs and most superstar backs come from the first round

    The playoff teams this year bring out the fact huge..........like 11 first round backs on the 12 twelves 🙄

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @rich4eagle said:

    The playoff teams this year bring out the fact huge..........like 11 first round backs on the 12 twelves 🙄

    Huh?

    You make no sense and you're barking up the wrong tree, rich. Perhaps you should start with QB's, then.

    Miami - Pennington, Mid Rd. 1

    Indy - P Manning, #1 Overall

    SD - Rivers, top 5 overall.

    Tenn - Collins, Top 5 overall with another top 5er overall behind him.

    Minny - Jackson, Rd. 2

    Steelers - Ben, Round 1.

    Panthers - Delhomme was a UDFA I think. Like Warner, an anomaly.

    Balt - Flacco, Rd. 1

    Phil - McNabb, top 5 overall.

    Giants - E Manning, #1 overall.

    Atlanta - Ryan, #3 overall this year I believe.

    Arizona - Warner (UDFA?) with a 1st rounder waiting his turn.

  • rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Thanks for amplifying my point about QB's..........I have been steadfast about where the franchise QB's come from. If you were not so interested in making me wrong you would not have made the comment above

    I would say

    Tomlinson

    James

    D. Williams

    Stewart

    R.Williams

    Brown

    Mendenhall

    Johnson

    Addai

    McGahee

    Peterson

    I believe that adds up to eleven first round running backs 🙄 on the twelve playoff teams

    and please tell our guy Masters that having 11 first round OL guys out of 60 is not really an impressive stat...........supports the dime a dozen theory

  • ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Ugh, rich, you are the master of the chicken-or-the-egg conversations around here.

    How about we just say the draft is important at all positions and move on?

  • rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
    #42

    I think I clearly pointed out who those 11 first round running backs were on the 12 playoff teams that elicited a huh? from you.

    And of course all positions are important..........but there is relative importance

    I only saw one team ever win the Bowl with crap for a QB

    and very few without a stud RB

    So again I emphasize those are the two key positons

    Followed dominating pass rushers and playmaking WR's and intimidating LB's in no particular order...........

    of course guys like Reed and Polamalu are exceptions at the DB position because they both are truly impact players at the DB position

    bottom of the stack OL guys easiest to find and easiest to make effective

  • I think I clearly pointed out who those 11 first round running backs were on the 12 playoff teams that elicited a huh? from you.

    And of course all positions are important..........but there is relative importance

    I only saw one team ever win the Bowl with crap for a QB

    and very few without a stud RB

    So again I emphasize those are the two key positons

    Followed dominating pass rushers and playmaking WR's and intimidating LB's in no particular order...........

    of course guys like Reed and Polamalu are exceptions at the DB position because they both are truly impact players at the DB position

    bottom of the stack OL guys easiest to find and easiest to make effective

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #43

    Ugh is correctomundo.

    @rich4eagle said:

    and very few without a stud RB

    Stud doesn't necessarily mean early first round pick. Looking below, you'll see it's just as likely you'll win a Super Bowl if you have a Faulk than burn a high pick on a RB.

    Disagree????

    SB XLII: Ahmad Bradshaw (7th rounder) was the Giants' leading rusher in an RBBC with Brandon Jacobs (2nd day pick).

    SB XLI: UDFA Dominic Rhodes was the leading rusher for the Colts in an RBBC w/ 1st round pick Joseph Addai.

    SB XL: Steelers led by UDFA Willie Parker in an RBBC with someone else's 1st round pick Jerome Bettis.

    SB XXXIX: Pats led by someone else's 2nd round pick Corey Dillon in a RBBC with 2nd rounder Kevin Faulk.

    SB XXXVIII: Pats led by someone else's low first round pick/castoff Antowain Smith with 2nd rounder Kevin Faulk as his backup.

    SB XXXVII: Bucs led by 4th round pick Michael Pittman and 1st round fullback Mike Allstott.

    SB XXXVI: Pats again led by someone else's low first round pick/castoff Antowain Smith.

    SB XXXV: Ravens led by top 5 overall pick Jamal Lewis.

    SB XXXIV: Rams led by top 5 overall pick Marshall Faulk.

    SB XXXIII: Broncos led by 6th round pick Terrell Davis.

    SB XXXII: Broncos led again by 6th round pick Terrell Davis.

    SB XXXI: Packers led by 5th round pick Dorsey Levens and 4th round pick Edgar Bennett.

    SB XXX: Cowboys led by late 1st round pick Emmitt Smith.

    SB XXIX: Niners led by 2nd round pick Ricky Watters.

    SB XXVIII: Cowboys led by late 1st round pick Emmitt Smith.

    SB XXVII: Cowboys led by late 1st round pick Emmitt Smith.

    SB XXVI: Skins led by 10th round pick Earnest Byner.

    SB XXV: Giants led by eighth overall pick Ottis Anderson.

    Need I continue???

  • rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by rich4eagle
    #44

    yes continue because you are attempting convenient distortion to twist the facts and you did leave out twenty five Super Bowls.......more than half...........and two of the Super Bowls won by the Pats the feature back all year was Corey Dillon

    BTW where did I say early first round pick??????????? you made that up all by yourself!

    And the Colts win the guy who was the feature back all year was Addai

    and on and on it goes............

    Please do not embarrass intelligence by discounting the achievements in the 18 games it takes to get to the Super Bowl............and oh btw you forgot to give Jerome Bettis any credit for the Steelers getting to the Super Bowl

    you post had a lot of data and indeed supported my premise............1st and second rounders dominate that truncated list

  • I think I clearly pointed out who those 11 first round running backs were on the 12 playoff teams that elicited a huh? from you.

    And of course all positions are important..........but there is relative importance

    I only saw one team ever win the Bowl with crap for a QB

    and very few without a stud RB

    So again I emphasize those are the two key positons

    Followed dominating pass rushers and playmaking WR's and intimidating LB's in no particular order...........

    of course guys like Reed and Polamalu are exceptions at the DB position because they both are truly impact players at the DB position

    bottom of the stack OL guys easiest to find and easiest to make effective

    ? mz. wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Please, rich. You compile the rest, I thought the point was well beyond proven. For every Emmit Smith and Marshall Faulk there is a Terrell Davis and Dorsey Levens. These are the FACTS.

    Also, Corey Dillon 1) is on the list, 2) played in one of the Pat's 3 SB wins and 3) was a second round pick.

    The facts only seem to be useful to you when they prove your point. This is why everyone loves debating with you.

    At least you didn't ignore the thread as per usual.

    @rich4eagle said:

    I think I clearly pointed out who those 11 first round running backs were on the 12 playoff teams that elicited a huh? from you.

    Now show me where you said second round pick...

  • @rich4eagle said:

    I will start with your last first........I have not decided whom to pick with the fifth pick but am leaning RB or WR if the right guy is there and worth it. Who would you pick?

    Polamalu was the sixteenth pick is way different than the fifth pick and he was a Strong Safety on College which limits int's way more than being a free safety. And I do not know if he was a three year starter. Mays played free safety which is ideal for getting int's.....because there is no direction to him..........the free safety is free to make plays so I disagree with your premise they avoided throwing in his direction.......At Pittsburgh Polamalu is more a free safety than strong safety.

    Using your int criteria Polamalu had 50% more int's in college than Mays a significant number at a position that is harder to get int's.

    Further the fifth pick is way higher than the 16th pick which says Mays should be twice the player Polamalu is to go that high and must be a total disrupter on D. I would not rule out taking Crabtreee either. I just do not believe a team with no RB's and virtually no WR's picking five should be taking a safety with that pick. I would not take Mays with that pick unless the whole draft is void of offensive talent or a destructive pass rusher.

    Rich if I was drafting and stayed at # 5 I would select Taylor Mays or if I am looking at this team for the long term and Sanchez the QB from USC is available at #5 I would select him and trade both Andersen and Quinn, I know I will upset many Browns fans here but I think Sanchez will be the next Dan Marino, I liked the drafting of Brady Quinn but what I saw from him in the 3 games I saw a replay of Charlie Frye with the dink and dunk passing and I truly believe Sanchez will be something special just my IMO.

    I think the best move on the Browns part though might be to trade down and get some extra picks because I don't see much difference from what will be available at #5 and what will be available at 10-15, I can't get all that excited about drafting a inside linebacker like Aaron Curry at #5 like some people want because I don't feel a inside linebacker is a difference maker with that early of a pick and at #5 I feel you have to draft a player thats a potential Pro Bowl player and only Taylor Mays, Crabtree and Sanchez fit that type of player to me.

    As I mentioned other than Michael Crabtree and Sanchez I see no offensive player worthy of a #5 pick in this draft.

    rich4eagleR rich4eagle wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @sony-reed said:

    Rich if I was drafting and stayed at # 5 I would select Taylor Mays or if I am looking at this team for the long term and Sanchez the QB from USC is available at #5 I would select him and trade both Andersen and Quinn, I know I will upset many Browns fans here but I think Sanchez will be the next Dan Marino, I liked the drafting of Brady Quinn but what I saw from him in the 3 games I saw a replay of Charlie Frye with the dink and dunk passing and I truly believe Sanchez will be something special just my IMO.

    I think the best move on the Browns part though might be to trade down and get some extra picks because I don't see much difference from what will be available at #5 and what will be available at 10-15, I can't get all that excited about drafting a inside linebacker like Aaron Curry at #5 like some people want because I don't feel a inside linebacker is a difference maker with that early of a pick and at #5 I feel you have to draft a player thats a potential Pro Bowl player and only Taylor Mays, Crabtree and Sanchez fit that type of player to me.

    As I mentioned other than Michael Crabtree and Sanchez I see no offensive player worthy of a #5 pick in this draft.

    Thanks Sony, great post with great insight and I do indeed value your view and expertise. I need to look at Sanchez and Crabtree more. Sanchez was extremely impressive against Penn State. I just do not believe the Browns will draft a QB as the whole town is enamored with Quinn and you know my feelings about him. I will also reconsider my view on Mays because of your and Flugels input who is also a good football mind

  • Mr. TM Mr. T wrote on last edited by
    #47

    Mays or Jenkins who will be picked first? and will the Browns nab one of these guys?

    The ratbirds will meet there match next week. The Dolphins making the playoffs can be attributed to schedule strength and that Tom Brady went down.

  • @sony-reed said:

    Rich, stats do not tell the entire story.......Troy Palamalu had only 6 interceptions during his 3 years at USC, so using your theory it would not have been smart for the Steelers to draft Palamalu because he only had 6 interceptions at USC

    Maybe Taylor Mays does not have many interceptions because teams don't throw in his direction

    These are all college kids and people draft based on potential, Mays at 6'2...240 Lbs with 4.2 speed you don't find that in many players and shows the potential to be a difference maker either with a big hit, run stop or interception.

    The top 2 running backs in this years draft class is Chris Wells and Knowshon Moreno and both guys would be a risk to take as high as #5, the only skill player worthy of a selection at #5 is Michael Crabtree and you only draft him if you plan on trading Braylon Edwards because you can't afford to have 2 wide receivers making close to 20 Million Dollars on the same team.

    Rich tell us who you would draft with the #5 pick since you don't think Taylor Mays is worth the pick.

    I will start with your last first........I have not decided whom to pick with the fifth pick but am leaning RB or WR if the right guy is there and worth it. Who would you pick?

    Polamalu was the sixteenth pick is way different than the fifth pick and he was a Strong Safety on College which limits int's way more than being a free safety. And I do not know if he was a three year starter. Mays played free safety which is ideal for getting int's.....because there is no direction to him..........the free safety is free to make plays so I disagree with your premise they avoided throwing in his direction.......At Pittsburgh Polamalu is more a free safety than strong safety.

    Using your int criteria Polamalu had 50% more int's in college than Mays a significant number at a position that is harder to get int's.

    Further the fifth pick is way higher than the 16th pick which says Mays should be twice the player Polamalu is to go that high and must be a total disrupter on D. I would not rule out taking Crabtreee either. I just do not believe a team with no RB's and virtually no WR's picking five should be taking a safety with that pick. I would not take Mays with that pick unless the whole draft is void of offensive talent or a destructive pass rusher.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #48

    @rich4eagle said:

    I will start with your last first........I have not decided whom to pick with the fifth pick but am leaning RB or WR if the right guy is there and worth it. Who would you pick?

    Polamalu was the sixteenth pick is way different than the fifth pick and he was a Strong Safety on College which limits int's way more than being a free safety.

    Okay, and your boy BB drafted a FB Tommy Vardell in the top 20. He drafted Craig Powell around the same area Pittsburgh drafted Polly because he couldn't have Kyle Brady. AND he drafted cornerback Antonio Langham who couldn't beat Dan Footman in a footrace. Langham ran a 4.6 forty as a cornerback and BB saw him as gotta have.

    The OTHER first round pick of BB? Eric Turner, who couldn't resemble Taylor Mays any more than he did. If BB was in love with Turner's size and 40 time - what would make him change criteria on bigger, stronger and faster for the same position? I think Eric Turner was our only good 1st round of the BB era but you're insinuating that was absurd. Seems weird you adore BB all of a sudden because you usually complain about a coach that loses 4 of his 5 years with the franchise. What besides hindsight 20/20 made BB so special and dear to you and Ghoolie?

    Rich, for someone that has such a problem with going TE in round 1 - Check out how many times BB went TE first in NE (Graham and Watson). Do you do that if you're getting it right the first time? I'm gonna say no. Furthermore, if you're drafting TEs first in NE all the time, why do you feel so compelled to yank those clowns for Mike Vrabel in the red zone?

    In conclusion, if you're gonna argue HOW to draft like BB - you're suddenly telling me you want us to draft either a TE, the next Tommy Vardell or a Craig Powell clone in round 1. I'm saying at least draft Taylor Mays but something about an Eric Turner presence doesn't sit right with you because you corrected me. And shouldn't I just know there's a Tom Brady at the end of round 6 who played 2nd fiddle to the next freshman sensation out there? Sure I should because I'll have you and Ghoolie telling me how often that comes around. BB was winless in NE until Drew Bledsoe lacerated a kidney or spleen. Add that to only 1 winning season in Cleveland and I think the REAL football messiah in NE is a guy named Brady. BTW, no Tom Brady = no playoffs in NE last I checked.

    - Tom F. (Sounds like it's time to see what we have in our guy named Brady, who averaged 30 points a start in his first 2 starts for a team that couldn't score an offensive TD throughout the final 6 weeks)