Skip to content

Tribe will go as far as their starting rotation can take them...

The Tribe Board
12 5 1.2k
  • ...which can't be very far, considering the 3rd, 4th and 5th spots currently consist of Jeremy Sowers, Anthony Reyes, and Scott Lewis. Shapiro did a super job landing missing pieces to round out a terrific infield (DeRosa), and a true closer (Wood). However, who really believes the Indians can compete for a pennant with this rotation? Scott Lewis does look promising though (had a good K/BB ratio as well as an excellent WHIP in the minors), and Reyes is also unproven. Sowers is extremely inconsistent and this is probably a make-or-break year for him. Here's to hoping that Westbrook finds a groove when he returns mid-season. They will need him immensely.

  • ...which can't be very far, considering the 3rd, 4th and 5th spots currently consist of Jeremy Sowers, Anthony Reyes, and Scott Lewis. Shapiro did a super job landing missing pieces to round out a terrific infield (DeRosa), and a true closer (Wood). However, who really believes the Indians can compete for a pennant with this rotation? Scott Lewis does look promising though (had a good K/BB ratio as well as an excellent WHIP in the minors), and Reyes is also unproven. Sowers is extremely inconsistent and this is probably a make-or-break year for him. Here's to hoping that Westbrook finds a groove when he returns mid-season. They will need him immensely.

    @gcarl said:

    ...which can't be very far, considering the 3rd, 4th and 5th spots currently consist of Jeremy Sowers, Anthony Reyes, and Scott Lewis. Shapiro did a super job landing missing pieces to round out a terrific infield (DeRosa), and a true closer (Wood). However, who really believes the Indians can compete for a pennant with this rotation? Scott Lewis does look promising though (had a good K/BB ratio as well as an excellent WHIP in the minors), and Reyes is also unproven. Sowers is extremely inconsistent and this is probably a make-or-break year for him. Here's to hoping that Westbrook finds a groove when he returns mid-season. They will need him immensely.

    I think you're selling Laffey a bit short here, though I agree with the general point about the rotation being the key to the season. Along with Pronk, of course.

    I've got some serious man-love for Reyes. Love the flat cap and his stuff. I'd pick him to pitch well enough to win 14ish games before Sowers or Lewis. But it's tough to consider the rotation a strength with Carmona hopefully bouncing back and Lee settling into whatever it is he his.

    Beanpot

  • @gcarl said:

    ...which can't be very far, considering the 3rd, 4th and 5th spots currently consist of Jeremy Sowers, Anthony Reyes, and Scott Lewis. Shapiro did a super job landing missing pieces to round out a terrific infield (DeRosa), and a true closer (Wood). However, who really believes the Indians can compete for a pennant with this rotation? Scott Lewis does look promising though (had a good K/BB ratio as well as an excellent WHIP in the minors), and Reyes is also unproven. Sowers is extremely inconsistent and this is probably a make-or-break year for him. Here's to hoping that Westbrook finds a groove when he returns mid-season. They will need him immensely.

    I think you're selling Laffey a bit short here, though I agree with the general point about the rotation being the key to the season. Along with Pronk, of course.

    I've got some serious man-love for Reyes. Love the flat cap and his stuff. I'd pick him to pitch well enough to win 14ish games before Sowers or Lewis. But it's tough to consider the rotation a strength with Carmona hopefully bouncing back and Lee settling into whatever it is he his.

    Beanpot

    @beanpot said:

    But it's tough to consider the rotation a strength with Carmona hopefully bouncing back and Lee settling into whatever it is he his.

    Beanpot

    You see, there's even questions regarding our top 2 guys. Lee, I guess, is now considered "ace" material? Hopefully so. But lets wait to see if he can put together 2 solid seasons in a row. And Carmona... let's hope he has made a full recovery. I'm worried about this rotation. Free agency is not the answer (no one left that would make an impact and besides, the Tribe can't compete money-wise with the likes of the Yankees, etc). We have to pin our hopes on up-and-coming prospects from our farm system. It's worked for Tampa Bay, almost too much, since I would put their rotation and the Yankees at the top of the list. Currently, we can't compete with New York, Tampa or Boston in the playoffs. Who cares if we make the postseason. We wouldn't get far.

  • It's all about run production when those guys pitch, but I agree...somehow those 3 are going to have to combine for 35-40 wins...might be a tall order.

    I wouldn't be shocked to see one of the young guys take a spot in the rotation...maybe Miller.

  • @beanpot said:

    But it's tough to consider the rotation a strength with Carmona hopefully bouncing back and Lee settling into whatever it is he his.

    Beanpot

    You see, there's even questions regarding our top 2 guys. Lee, I guess, is now considered "ace" material? Hopefully so. But lets wait to see if he can put together 2 solid seasons in a row. And Carmona... let's hope he has made a full recovery. I'm worried about this rotation. Free agency is not the answer (no one left that would make an impact and besides, the Tribe can't compete money-wise with the likes of the Yankees, etc). We have to pin our hopes on up-and-coming prospects from our farm system. It's worked for Tampa Bay, almost too much, since I would put their rotation and the Yankees at the top of the list. Currently, we can't compete with New York, Tampa or Boston in the playoffs. Who cares if we make the postseason. We wouldn't get far.

    @gcarl said:

    You see, there's even questions regarding our top 2 guys. Lee, I guess, is now considered "ace" material? Hopefully so. But lets wait to see if he can put together 2 solid seasons in a row.

    So winning 14, 18, and 14 wasn't putting 2 solid season together? He had one bad season in 2007, when he was coming back from his injury, which screwed up his mechanics.

  • @gcarl said:

    You see, there's even questions regarding our top 2 guys. Lee, I guess, is now considered "ace" material? Hopefully so. But lets wait to see if he can put together 2 solid seasons in a row.

    So winning 14, 18, and 14 wasn't putting 2 solid season together? He had one bad season in 2007, when he was coming back from his injury, which screwed up his mechanics.

    Masters said:

    So winning 14, 18, and 14 wasn't putting 2 solid season together? He had one bad season in 2007, when he was coming back from his injury, which screwed up his mechanics.

    Back in 2004, 2005 and 2006 (when he had that 14-18-14 streak) he wasn't considered elite, and the Indians did not rely on him then as much as they did last year or as much as they will this coming year. Sabathia was the "ace" of the rotation in 04 thru 06. Now, Lee is their number-one. My point is.. NOW that he is considered elite and the ace of a pitching staff, can he put together solid back-to-back years as a top-shelf pitcher who will continue to contend for the Cy Young...

  • Masters said:

    So winning 14, 18, and 14 wasn't putting 2 solid season together? He had one bad season in 2007, when he was coming back from his injury, which screwed up his mechanics.

    Back in 2004, 2005 and 2006 (when he had that 14-18-14 streak) he wasn't considered elite, and the Indians did not rely on him then as much as they did last year or as much as they will this coming year. Sabathia was the "ace" of the rotation in 04 thru 06. Now, Lee is their number-one. My point is.. NOW that he is considered elite and the ace of a pitching staff, can he put together solid back-to-back years as a top-shelf pitcher who will continue to contend for the Cy Young...

    @gcarl said:

    Back in 2004, 2005 and 2006 (when he had that 14-18-14 streak) he wasn't considered elite, and the Indians did not rely on him then as much as they did last year or as much as they will this coming year. Sabathia was the "ace" of the rotation in 04 thru 06. Now, Lee is their number-one. My point is.. NOW that he is considered elite and the ace of a pitching staff, can he put together solid back-to-back years as a top-shelf pitcher who will continue to contend for the Cy Young...

    I follow what you are saying now. Though if you recall, the same could have been said of CC when they anointed him the ace.

    Though I'd argue in 2005 he was considered elite, at least by the national media. Which was why everyone was so shocked by his fall in 2007.

  • @gcarl said:

    Back in 2004, 2005 and 2006 (when he had that 14-18-14 streak) he wasn't considered elite, and the Indians did not rely on him then as much as they did last year or as much as they will this coming year. Sabathia was the "ace" of the rotation in 04 thru 06. Now, Lee is their number-one. My point is.. NOW that he is considered elite and the ace of a pitching staff, can he put together solid back-to-back years as a top-shelf pitcher who will continue to contend for the Cy Young...

    I follow what you are saying now. Though if you recall, the same could have been said of CC when they anointed him the ace.

    Though I'd argue in 2005 he was considered elite, at least by the national media. Which was why everyone was so shocked by his fall in 2007.

    Masters said:

    Though I'd argue in 2005 he was considered elite, at least by the national media. Which was why everyone was so shocked by his fall in 2007.

    2005 would be considered elite if it wasn't for his ERA (3.79) IMHO. He followed up that 18-win, 5-loss effort with a 14-11, 4.40 ERA season. Just praying that he doesn't slide again and history ends up repeating itself. Although, I still smile when I think about how we got Sizemore and Lee for Colon. Brilliant!

  • Masters said:

    Though I'd argue in 2005 he was considered elite, at least by the national media. Which was why everyone was so shocked by his fall in 2007.

    2005 would be considered elite if it wasn't for his ERA (3.79) IMHO. He followed up that 18-win, 5-loss effort with a 14-11, 4.40 ERA season. Just praying that he doesn't slide again and history ends up repeating itself. Although, I still smile when I think about how we got Sizemore and Lee for Colon. Brilliant!

    @gcarl said:

    2005 would be considered elite if it wasn't for his ERA (3.79) IMHO. He followed up that 18-win, 5-loss effort with a 14-11, 4.40 ERA season. Just praying that he doesn't slide again and history ends up repeating itself. Although, I still smile when I think about how we got Sizemore and Lee for Colon. Brilliant!

    I personally chalk that up to hitters getting more film (and plate appearance) against him. He was a young pitcher still at that time. I don't read much into that, as I can find dozens of pitchers that ended up really good who had similar struggles. Unless he gets hurt, I don't see him sliding again. Not that I expect 22 wins again either.

    I too still smile at that one.

  • Let's hope our trade of CC works out as well as our trade for Colon

  • Let's hope our trade of CC works out as well as our trade for Colon

    @dieselpusher said:

    Let's hope our trade of CC works out as well as our trade for Colon

    We shall see. But I don't think CLE got quite the value they got out of the Colon trade. Then again, something is better than nothing.

  • Let's hope our trade of CC works out as well as our trade for Colon

    @dieselpusher said:

    Let's hope our trade of CC works out as well as our trade for Colon

    I can't wait to see LaPorta on the big-league team!