Luck, Griffen, Blackmon Gone
-
I really like your thinking. I really, really, really think the best thing for us at four is taking Trent Richardson. I want a star runningback on the Browns. The Browns are known for having one of the Legends of the NFL in Jim Brown and I think we really need a break-your-neck runningback. Yes, we have/had Hillis, and the City and the Fans LOVED him for the way he played. But Hillis is not really this front offices guy. You can tell they are still on the fence whether or not they want to keep Hillis. We need a guy like Hillis in this town, I'm sorry but Obi one kinobi or whatever and Hardesty... PLEASE. They got another guy that sat out all year with "turf toe"... we don't even have turf in Cleveland(just a joke, relax).
We need a guy that is going to bring it every down in every game, full tilt. Richardson with his crazy muscles and dreaded locks will strike fear into opposing defenses when he straps on the orange and brown, I promise you. He's every bit as good as Hillis and he's a fresh face in this league. He is young and will put points up on the ground. He's gotta be faster than Hillis, I've been the biggest Hillis supporter around, trust me. But I cannot stand this being left in limbo all the time wondering if he's gonna be gone next year or the year after that and so on. I need a guy I can trust to be there, that's gonna fight his heart out game in and game out, win or lose and put his neck on the line to win this team a championship. He'll be our Runningback from the beginning(Something I'm really big on, I prefer my guys to start as Browns and finish as Browns... and there's been very little of that in the past 10 years- part of my peeve with Vickers is he was a Brown through and through).
We need a guy that we know is gonna be a stable workhorse and go to work with Colt. Colt McCoy and his steed Trent Richardson. Damn right, every great Cowboy has got to have his trusty steed boys. Look, if we can talk Hillis into taking the FB role all the better. I think if we used one more out the backfield, catching passes(what a WCO FB does in this scheme.. ideally) Hillis would be tremendously successful. Gotta convince Hillis that this is "where it's at" and "we're going places" to "stay and win a Championship with us" and so on and so on....
But back to the OP... I agree with all you said, the only suggestion I might add is flip flopping the OL in the Second with the third pick(Don't see much of a drop off after the top 5 or so OL are gone anyways) and use our 2nd rounder on Chase Minnifield(if he's still there). Look, we have a history with Minnifield and it'd be good mojo if nothing else + the kids gonna be a great corner. Chase and Haden will lock it down for us, OH YEAH add in Ward and it'll be ON! Look, we missed out on Clay Matthews kid, let's not be foolish and ignore history. Gotta get Chase it's just to perfect and he'd be an instant upgrade over "Should-I-Guard-Him Brown"...
-
I really like your thinking. I really, really, really think the best thing for us at four is taking Trent Richardson. I want a star runningback on the Browns. The Browns are known for having one of the Legends of the NFL in Jim Brown and I think we really need a break-your-neck runningback. Yes, we have/had Hillis, and the City and the Fans LOVED him for the way he played. But Hillis is not really this front offices guy. You can tell they are still on the fence whether or not they want to keep Hillis. We need a guy like Hillis in this town, I'm sorry but Obi one kinobi or whatever and Hardesty... PLEASE. They got another guy that sat out all year with "turf toe"... we don't even have turf in Cleveland(just a joke, relax).
We need a guy that is going to bring it every down in every game, full tilt. Richardson with his crazy muscles and dreaded locks will strike fear into opposing defenses when he straps on the orange and brown, I promise you. He's every bit as good as Hillis and he's a fresh face in this league. He is young and will put points up on the ground. He's gotta be faster than Hillis, I've been the biggest Hillis supporter around, trust me. But I cannot stand this being left in limbo all the time wondering if he's gonna be gone next year or the year after that and so on. I need a guy I can trust to be there, that's gonna fight his heart out game in and game out, win or lose and put his neck on the line to win this team a championship. He'll be our Runningback from the beginning(Something I'm really big on, I prefer my guys to start as Browns and finish as Browns... and there's been very little of that in the past 10 years- part of my peeve with Vickers is he was a Brown through and through).
We need a guy that we know is gonna be a stable workhorse and go to work with Colt. Colt McCoy and his steed Trent Richardson. Damn right, every great Cowboy has got to have his trusty steed boys. Look, if we can talk Hillis into taking the FB role all the better. I think if we used one more out the backfield, catching passes(what a WCO FB does in this scheme.. ideally) Hillis would be tremendously successful. Gotta convince Hillis that this is "where it's at" and "we're going places" to "stay and win a Championship with us" and so on and so on....
But back to the OP... I agree with all you said, the only suggestion I might add is flip flopping the OL in the Second with the third pick(Don't see much of a drop off after the top 5 or so OL are gone anyways) and use our 2nd rounder on Chase Minnifield(if he's still there). Look, we have a history with Minnifield and it'd be good mojo if nothing else + the kids gonna be a great corner. Chase and Haden will lock it down for us, OH YEAH add in Ward and it'll be ON! Look, we missed out on Clay Matthews kid, let's not be foolish and ignore history. Gotta get Chase it's just to perfect and he'd be an instant upgrade over "Should-I-Guard-Him Brown"...
I really like your thinking. I really, really, really think the best thing for us at four is taking Trent Richardson. I want a star runningback on the Browns. The Browns are known for having one of the Legends of the NFL in Jim Brown and I think we really need a break-your-neck runningback. Yes, we have/had Hillis, and the City and the Fans LOVED him for the way he played. But Hillis is not really this front offices guy. You can tell they are still on the fence whether or not they want to keep Hillis. We need a guy like Hillis in this town, I'm sorry but Obi one kinobi or whatever and Hardesty... PLEASE. They got another guy that sat out all year with "turf toe"... we don't even have turf in Cleveland(just a joke, relax).
We need a guy that is going to bring it every down in every game, full tilt. Richardson with his crazy muscles and dreaded locks will strike fear into opposing defenses when he straps on the orange and brown, I promise you. He's every bit as good as Hillis and he's a fresh face in this league. He is young and will put points up on the ground. He's gotta be faster than Hillis, I've been the biggest Hillis supporter around, trust me. But I cannot stand this being left in limbo all the time wondering if he's gonna be gone next year or the year after that and so on. I need a guy I can trust to be there, that's gonna fight his heart out game in and game out, win or lose and put his neck on the line to win this team a championship. He'll be our Runningback from the beginning(Something I'm really big on, I prefer my guys to start as Browns and finish as Browns... and there's been very little of that in the past 10 years- part of my peeve with Vickers is he was a Brown through and through).
We need a guy that we know is gonna be a stable workhorse and go to work with Colt. Colt McCoy and his steed Trent Richardson. Damn right, every great Cowboy has got to have his trusty steed boys. Look, if we can talk Hillis into taking the FB role all the better. I think if we used one more out the backfield, catching passes(what a WCO FB does in this scheme.. ideally) Hillis would be tremendously successful. Gotta convince Hillis that this is "where it's at" and "we're going places" to "stay and win a Championship with us" and so on and so on....
But back to the OP... I agree with all you said, the only suggestion I might add is flip flopping the OL in the Second with the third pick(Don't see much of a drop off after the top 5 or so OL are gone anyways) and use our 2nd rounder on Chase Minnifield(if he's still there). Look, we have a history with Minnifield and it'd be good mojo if nothing else + the kids gonna be a great corner. Chase and Haden will lock it down for us, OH YEAH add in Ward and it'll be ON! Look, we missed out on Clay Matthews kid, let's not be foolish and ignore history. Gotta get Chase it's just to perfect and he'd be an instant upgrade over "Should-I-Guard-Him Brown"...
So you really, REALLY want a running back @ #4 well, again sorry Charlie. Two questions- and look them up- which running back led the NFL in rushing, and his team didn't make the playoffs? OTOH, which team in the NFL (which is the odds on favorite to win the SB) BEST RB is ranked 39th in the NFL- lower than Peyton Hillis, I might add?
-
If that's how it panned out, I go Clayborne.
-
OK, I personally believe we have to take an offensive playmaker here at No4. What do you do if our three most likely picks (if available) are all gone? And I am saying with both picks in round 1, and potentially round 2. NO TRADES
I think what we should do is grab Trent Richardson (assuming he declares) at 4. At 22 we grab Alshon Jeffry/Kendall Wright/Michael Floyd - whoever we are saying is the best and whoever is available at this point.
This will at least give Colt some weapons to work with, albeit they are all young.
At this point in round 2, you have to decide, is Colt your man, or assuming Ryan Tannehill is there, do you take him? If Colts the man - Grab the best Tackle available.
IMHO, This takes care of three major holes and the QB position hole could potentially work itself out if Colt just needs some weapons. If Colt ends up stinking it up, you grab a QB next year and already have playmakers for the rookie and what should be a very good OL.
Round 3 on I really dont care where we go.
Other positions we need to address are
DL - Someone opposite of Sheard
LB - We have basically 2, 1 servicable and one good one
CB - Someone opposite of Haden
S - Someone opposite of Ward
OG - LG and/or RG - depends on what we think of Lauvao and Pinkston or if we keep Steinbach
WR - a burner, unless we take Wright, in that case a big WR.
QB - They said they wanted someone to compete with Colt, and a mid-late round pick could push him.
I think what we should do is grab Trent Richardson (assuming he declares) at 4. At 22 we grab Alshon Jeffry/Kendall Wright/Michael Floyd - whoever we are saying is the best and whoever is available at this point.
Letting Hillis go and then drafting Richardson would be a monumental mistake. From a roster/lineup standpoint, it is a wash at best. In essence we'd be throwing away that 4th pick by not improving the team.
Given the scenario you presented plus an offensive playmaker as the sole objective, then trading down would seem to be the best move. i'm not sure that an offensive playmaker at that pick is the only way to help this team.
-
There isn't any way both Minn and StL pass on Kalil or trade down, they both have a sieve for an OL. Kalil won't slip past Minn - they have a first-rd QB and Harvin, no need to take a WR or QB at 3.
Claiborne wouldn't happen - first-rd contract money to 2 CB's is ridiculous - also Minnifield in the second round has starter-level talent.
One of RG3/Blackmon will still be around at 4, count on it.
Don't forget that "best available" would mean the Browns would take Kalil at 4 if he slips.
-
I think if that were to happen you would have to go BPA as much as that pains me to say. No offensive player would be worth reaching that far for at that point, I wouldn't mind seeing a trade down in this scenario at all. However, as it looks now Kalil IMO is a lock to go to the rams/vikings. Both need serious OL help and by all accounts he's supposed to be Jake Long/Thomas good. It may not be the sexy pick but drafting top five outside of QB is supposed to be sure thing picks. A lot more often than not OL are good first round picks.
-
People saying not to take a RB at 4 need to understand what this guy is asking here. If we ARE NOT trading back a few spots who do you take at 4 today. Right now considering all 3 WR's Jeffery (hardly worth a 5ht round pick in my opinion), Floyd, or Wright are all mid to late first round picks and Richardson is a top 10, you take Richardson. I completely agree that the running game doesn't have as much an affect on whether or not a team makes it to the playoffs like it used to, but it certainly helps and since their are no WR available deserving to selection you take Richardson, especially if Hillis doesn't resign with the team. Then with the next pick you take WR and with the 2nd round pick I do say you take RT if a few choice players are off the board, such as Minnfield CB, Hightower LB ect.
-
Blackmon
Jeffrey
Floyd
Those 3 are the only options I'd consider for the browns
Running backs can be found later in the draft and the line needs guards and a RT which can be found later in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds
-
Not so sure if a RB at #4 is the way to go. Look at the success of other teams and see where their RB's came in at in the draft? How many top RB's drafted in the top 10 have won a Superbowl in the last 10 years... I don't know, only asking.
-
If Kalil comes to us we take him unless somehow RG3 is still there and then we hope to trade. OL is more important then WR...if you can give a QB enough time he will find and open guy and if you give a WR enough time he will get open. A great OL can open up holes for even the weakest of running backs which open up the play action game. Kalil or J. Martin could probably help us create a lot more offense than a Trent(overated) could. Did you guys not watch the Alabama game??? except for those 3 runs he ran to the outside, he couldn't run anything up the middle, I am an SEC guy and watched every game Alabama has played for the past 14 years. If all we needed was RBs this year i would love to pick up Pierce and D. Martin. I think they are the best at what they do.
I still say somehow we are either going to get Kalil or J. Martin for our first pick and then hopefully Dennard or Jeffery for our 2nd pick. Stopping the pass is really going to be so important in stopping some of these QB first offenses...and I am not really sold on our boys back there until i see us improve our run D.
1a) Kalil
1b) Dennard(would pick up Alshon here, but he will be gone before the 10th pick, he has much more upside than blackmon)
2) Dwight Jones
3) Nick Perry
4) Marquis Maze(not really worried because we will get Hunter next year... improves our special teams)
5) B.Pierce (better than A. peterson)
6) Janzen Jackson (sleeper pick..if he stayed with TN he would have been a top 60 pick)
7) Halhuni FB
-
People saying not to take a RB at 4 need to understand what this guy is asking here. If we ARE NOT trading back a few spots who do you take at 4 today. Right now considering all 3 WR's Jeffery (hardly worth a 5ht round pick in my opinion), Floyd, or Wright are all mid to late first round picks and Richardson is a top 10, you take Richardson. I completely agree that the running game doesn't have as much an affect on whether or not a team makes it to the playoffs like it used to, but it certainly helps and since their are no WR available deserving to selection you take Richardson, especially if Hillis doesn't resign with the team. Then with the next pick you take WR and with the 2nd round pick I do say you take RT if a few choice players are off the board, such as Minnfield CB, Hightower LB ect.
People saying not to take a RB at 4 need to understand what this guy is asking here. If we ARE NOT trading back a few spots who do you take at 4 today. Right now considering all 3 WR's Jeffery (hardly worth a 5ht round pick in my opinion), Floyd, or Wright are all mid to late first round picks and Richardson is a top 10, you take Richardson. I completely agree that the running game doesn't have as much an affect on whether or not a team makes it to the playoffs like it used to, but it certainly helps and since their are no WR available deserving to selection you take Richardson, especially if Hillis doesn't resign with the team. Then with the next pick you take WR and with the 2nd round pick I do say you take RT if a few choice players are off the board, such as Minnfield CB, Hightower LB ect.
Thank you Harry Buffalo
I realize it is unlikely that both StL and Minn pass on Kalil, but if StL grabs Blackmon and then Minn trades down with Wsh I don't think it is that unfeasible that these 3 players are off the board. As the Browns I dont think you take a RT at No4 overall. The Cardinals grabbed Levi Brown real early and he played RT in his first three seasons and was nothing spectacular. No one is going to force Joe Thomas over to RT today, unless we get Jake Long and that is still up for debate. Claiborne is a possibility, but I dont see us using 2 top 10 picks on our CBs.
Basically here is how our options pan out IMO.
Kalil - I already explained why I dont think so
Claiborne - 2 top 10 CBs on a team does sound nasty, but not sure
Richardson - I explained why he is my choice
Coples - We do need a DE opposite of Sheard, but I would much rather wait until at least our 22 pick to address that ass I think there are plenty of other options for DE.
Floyd - Do we reach for him? I say no
Upshaw/Burfict - I think we can wait till 22 and still be able to grab one of the two, or Zach Brown, Luke Keuchly, Don'ta Hightower, etc. This draft is plenty deep in LBs if you ask me.
-
I really like your thinking. I really, really, really think the best thing for us at four is taking Trent Richardson. I want a star runningback on the Browns. The Browns are known for having one of the Legends of the NFL in Jim Brown and I think we really need a break-your-neck runningback. Yes, we have/had Hillis, and the City and the Fans LOVED him for the way he played. But Hillis is not really this front offices guy. You can tell they are still on the fence whether or not they want to keep Hillis. We need a guy like Hillis in this town, I'm sorry but Obi one kinobi or whatever and Hardesty... PLEASE. They got another guy that sat out all year with "turf toe"... we don't even have turf in Cleveland(just a joke, relax).
We need a guy that is going to bring it every down in every game, full tilt. Richardson with his crazy muscles and dreaded locks will strike fear into opposing defenses when he straps on the orange and brown, I promise you. He's every bit as good as Hillis and he's a fresh face in this league. He is young and will put points up on the ground. He's gotta be faster than Hillis, I've been the biggest Hillis supporter around, trust me. But I cannot stand this being left in limbo all the time wondering if he's gonna be gone next year or the year after that and so on. I need a guy I can trust to be there, that's gonna fight his heart out game in and game out, win or lose and put his neck on the line to win this team a championship. He'll be our Runningback from the beginning(Something I'm really big on, I prefer my guys to start as Browns and finish as Browns... and there's been very little of that in the past 10 years- part of my peeve with Vickers is he was a Brown through and through).
We need a guy that we know is gonna be a stable workhorse and go to work with Colt. Colt McCoy and his steed Trent Richardson. Damn right, every great Cowboy has got to have his trusty steed boys. Look, if we can talk Hillis into taking the FB role all the better. I think if we used one more out the backfield, catching passes(what a WCO FB does in this scheme.. ideally) Hillis would be tremendously successful. Gotta convince Hillis that this is "where it's at" and "we're going places" to "stay and win a Championship with us" and so on and so on....
But back to the OP... I agree with all you said, the only suggestion I might add is flip flopping the OL in the Second with the third pick(Don't see much of a drop off after the top 5 or so OL are gone anyways) and use our 2nd rounder on Chase Minnifield(if he's still there). Look, we have a history with Minnifield and it'd be good mojo if nothing else + the kids gonna be a great corner. Chase and Haden will lock it down for us, OH YEAH add in Ward and it'll be ON! Look, we missed out on Clay Matthews kid, let's not be foolish and ignore history. Gotta get Chase it's just to perfect and he'd be an instant upgrade over "Should-I-Guard-Him Brown"...
So you really, REALLY want a running back @ #4 well, again sorry Charlie. Two questions- and look them up- which running back led the NFL in rushing, and his team didn't make the playoffs? OTOH, which team in the NFL (which is the odds on favorite to win the SB) BEST RB is ranked 39th in the NFL- lower than Peyton Hillis, I might add?
So you really, REALLY want a running back @ #4 well, again sorry Charlie. Two questions- and look them up- which running back led the NFL in rushing, and his team didn't make the playoffs? OTOH, which team in the NFL (which is the odds on favorite to win the SB) BEST RB is ranked 39th in the NFL- lower than Peyton Hillis, I might add?
Arian Foster, who led the NFL last year, was an undrafted free agent.
-
Tom Heckert could certainly follow the formula that he followed last year: if his 1 or 2 target players are gone, he trades down for more picks. Last year he wanted AJ Green. Green went ahead of the Browns so Heckert put the Atlanta trade together because he felt that Julio Jones was just not worth the 6th pick.
The same is likely to happen here as well.
Of course, we don't know who Heckert has on his list...but lets say he would be willing to take either RGIII or Blackmon, and they are both gone...I say he trades down for more picks to fill more holes.
If the Browns went down to 10 and got a Dre Kirkpatrick....and another 2d rounder, that might be great.
-
The Browns were sitting at 7 last year and I'm sure if we could have moved up and got AJ Green we would have. The price to jump up from seven to say 5th is just to costly, a lot more costly than just another second rounder.
There's no way we jump all the way down to 10 without making them give up the farm...
-
The Browns were sitting at 7 last year and I'm sure if we could have moved up and got AJ Green we would have. The price to jump up from seven to say 5th is just to costly, a lot more costly than just another second rounder.
There's no way we jump all the way down to 10 without making them give up the farm...
The Browns were sitting at 7 last year and I'm sure if we could have moved up and got AJ Green we would have. The price to jump up from seven to say 5th is just to costly, a lot more costly than just another second rounder.
There's no way we jump all the way down to 10 without making them give up the farm...
You mean move from 6th to 4th, and that would have been impossible cause the Bengals obviously wanted him. We would have had to trade up to 3rd or higher and that would have cost too much.
-
We'd better get AT LEAST their first and a second to trade out of pick#4 - the person hopping up there will be grabbing an immediate starter at LT for the next decade.
If the Browns go to 6/7 and take Coples, that should still be a winning draft. Then take Wright at 22 and Minnifield at the top of 2.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login