2012 Nfl Draft
-
The numbers so far are interesting. I find it odd that despite the fact that nearly all the mocks out there have the Browns grabbing RG3, he's only received one vote(so far) from actual Browns Fans. Is this a case of seeing ourselves differently than the masses from the outside looking in, or is this something else. I also find the position of needs pretty close to how we MAY go in the draft. Drafting WR, linebacker then either addressing the DE or OL position.
I'm curious to the opinion you guys have on Marcus Benard. I think the young man was coming of age before his unfortunate motor accident. From what I've heard, he's going to be okay. A broken forearm and some nasty roadrash shouldn't put him out of commission. I think that Marcus could be the DE we need opposite Sheard. Maybe we could bypass the position early in the draft. What do you think?
I brought up that thought on Bernard before and the responses I received was that we can't count on him to come back healthy or be the player he looked like he was starting to become so we should take a DE if we had a nice one in a good position to draft him. He had 7.5 sacks two years ago, as many as Sheard had in his solid rookie year. Also, you have to think that he didn't start and was a situational pass rusher and still put up those numbers.
I brought up that thought on Bernard before and the responses I received was that we can't count on him to come back healthy or be the player he looked like he was starting to become so we should take a DE if we had a nice one in a good position to draft him. He had 7.5 sacks two years ago, as many as Sheard had in his solid rookie year. Also, you have to think that he didn't start and was a situational pass rusher and still put up those numbers.
He should be healthy. It's not like he messed his knee up like Winslow or anything. If I remember correctly he just broke his hand or thumb really bad, knew he was going to be out for over half the season, and just used the chance to put him on none football related IR. He should be fine, but I agree that we should look at other DE options just for the fact we don't know what he can do as a 4-3 DE in the NFL.
-
I picked RGIII and Michael Floyd.
- Just way too much upside to RGIII, not to mention it's a position in awful need.
- I don't think Michael Floyd will be there, but if he is, take him. If he's not; Kendall Wright. (I'm going to wait until the Senior Bowl and Combine to truly choose between Floyd and Wright, though. They might switch, in my mocks.)
-
Too early as stated previously, but for now, here are my feelings. I do not think Hillis will be back or stay healthy, so I want to trade down & grab T Richardson. At 22, I'll trust our outstanding D Coaches to keep Vontaze Burfict in line, yet install his intimidating presence at OLB with DQ (PLEASE resign him!) at ILB. I did not go for a WR as it takes 2-3 years for WRs to develop & none of the "top rated" ones this year have the burner speed that would have an immediate impact for the Browns, so I would like us to look for a young, established WR in free agency & go for a drafted WR (and CB) after we take a solid OL in the 2nd round. I know it's not 1st round, but, if he's still there, I would take a flyer in the 4th round on Ryan Broyles. I also feel that Richardson would take a good bit of Defensive heat off Colt & improve things there.
Just my opinions.
Mike
-
c. mitchell
j. norwood
d. jackson (FA)
A. jeffery (draft)
G. Little
B. Watson
J. Finley (FA)
E. Moore
If we don't resign Peyton by February 19th...I think we will go after Richardson or maybe try to get M. Bush. I could also see us do a trade with Texas Hardesty,Colt & a 2nd rounder for Arian Foster( though not a Foster fan) If we do resign Petyon probably go after D. Martin if we don't then probably M. Bush and B. Pierce.
-
Trade down, grab Alshon then Zach Brown/Burfict. Vinny Curry/ Melvin Ingram in 2nd.
-
c. mitchell
j. norwood
d. jackson (FA)
A. jeffery (draft)
G. Little
B. Watson
J. Finley (FA)
E. Moore
If we don't resign Peyton by February 19th...I think we will go after Richardson or maybe try to get M. Bush. I could also see us do a trade with Texas Hardesty,Colt & a 2nd rounder for Arian Foster( though not a Foster fan) If we do resign Petyon probably go after D. Martin if we don't then probably M. Bush and B. Pierce.
c. mitchell
j. norwood
d. jackson (FA)
A. jeffery (draft)
G. Little
B. Watson
J. Finley (FA)
E. Moore
If we don't resign Peyton by February 19th...I think we will go after Richardson or maybe try to get M. Bush. I could also see us do a trade with Texas Hardesty,Colt & a 2nd rounder for Arian Foster( though not a Foster fan) If we do resign Petyon probably go after D. Martin if we don't then probably M. Bush and B. Pierce.
What on Earh makes you think that trade would even begin to interest Houston? They already have a Pro Bowl quarterback and why would they want to get rid of their best playmaker? You are absolutely insane.
-
Im not sold on either RGIII or Colt, but would rather give Colt another chance rather that possibly waste a top 5 pick on someone from a spread offense who could easily not be very good in the WCO.. Also, I love Blackmon, but with his lack of ideal speed, am not convinced he is the best compliment for our already not-so-speedy receivers. That being said, Id ideally trade down from the 4th pick to 6 or 8 or 9 (depending what Miami gets) and pick up another 2nd rounder (maybe we'd have to throw in a 4th rounder to get that 2nd rounder as well).
So,
1st round pick (#6-9)- Quinton Coples DE - great compliment to Sheard, solidifies the trenches on the D side. Potentially would be one of the best defensive fronts (the most important defensive corp) in the league
1st round pick (#22) - Kendall Wright WR - that speed WR we desperately need. He will open things up for Little who I have high hopes for considering he came into UNC as a RB, sat out last year, did not have an offseason, and had no deep speed threat (enter Kendall)
2nd round pick (#37) - Take an OLB (fast) or a CB (Best player available), all of us can agree that these are problem areas on defense, get a quality starter at this spot. Not sure why everyone thinks Sheldon Brown can just "move to safety" like it's no big deal, but I'd look at it if we got a promising CB here. Or DQJ and Gocong plus another speedy OLB would do for a linebacking corp for now, we need more speed overall on defense thats for sure.
2nd round pick (#39-42) - RT (or maybe RG), hopefully Steinbach comes back and takes up where he left off, thus giving us depth with Pinkston and Lauvao with another year under their belts who will fight for the RG spot. We need another quality player on the line to hopefully replace Pashos or at least provides some quality depth as a rookie WHEN he goes down. I think in the 2nd round we can find a good RT..
3rd round pick (#68) - RB (or OLB or CB), if we dont resign Hillis, we need to pick up another RB somewhere. We lack team speed so preferably a burner RB who can catch (LeMichael James?)
The rest is just a crap shoot, Id like to always pick depth on both lines with late round picks and hope someone pans out..
-
So I see that ALOT of people like Blackmon, and there is 100% NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Who is going to get him the ball??? You do relize even thou Blackmon is a stud, he is not that fast.
-
So I see that ALOT of people like Blackmon, and there is 100% NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Who is going to get him the ball??? You do relize even thou Blackmon is a stud, he is not that fast.
So I see that ALOT of people like Blackmon, and there is 100% NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Who is going to get him the ball??? You do relize even thou Blackmon is a stud, he is not that fast.
Blackmon will be a solid pick for any team. But as you state, his speed isn't his main attribute. We already have a physical receiver in Greg Little so I wouldn't be surprised if Heckert targets Kendall Wright to add much needed speed to the roster. Wright isn't worth a 4th overall pick but we could trade down to picks 10-12 and grab him then. I'm not convinced he will still be there at #22.
But I'm not really hoping for any particular players. We just need a address certain positions: WR, DE, OLB, RT, and RB. If Heckert drafts as well as he has the past 2 years, I'll be pretty happy..
Edit: "Cribbs is the man" is on the right track with his post. Sorry I didn't see it until now. We agree on the positions of need, but it will be interesting to see which position Heckert goes after first..
-
Coples is absolutely NOT the man. He does not have the work ethic to succeed at the NFL level, and is not a "good" bookend opposite Sheard.
Mike Adams completely dominated him at the senior bowl. Coples will not have a long career unless he discovers motivation.
Do not draft this guy.
-
Coples is absolutely NOT the man. He does not have the work ethic to succeed at the NFL level, and is not a "good" bookend opposite Sheard.
Mike Adams completely dominated him at the senior bowl. Coples will not have a long career unless he discovers motivation.
Do not draft this guy.
Coples is absolutely NOT the man. He does not have the work ethic to succeed at the NFL level, and is not a "good" bookend opposite Sheard.
Mike Adams completely dominated him at the senior bowl. Coples will not have a long career unless he discovers motivation.
If the Browns took Adams in the second round to secure their RT spot, that may not be all bad.
-
Coples is absolutely NOT the man. He does not have the work ethic to succeed at the NFL level, and is not a "good" bookend opposite Sheard.
Mike Adams completely dominated him at the senior bowl. Coples will not have a long career unless he discovers motivation.
Do not draft this guy.
Coples is absolutely NOT the man. He does not have the work ethic to succeed at the NFL level, and is not a "good" bookend opposite Sheard.
Mike Adams completely dominated him at the senior bowl. Coples will not have a long career unless he discovers motivation.
Do not draft this guy.
Yea I just read the Heath Evans report on Coples, as well as some other things that really scare me about Coples. An unmotivated DE really does not last in this league and perform at a high level. So I'm rethinking my earlier Mock post. If we trade down (assuming we dont pick RGIII or Blackmon) who else would you pick at 6-10? Maybe Trent Richardson, but I really dont like picking RBs high because of their short shelf life and high injury potential. Plus I think RBs are generally overrated and it is more about an offenses passing game and blocking.. Maybe Kirkpatrick or Claiborne, but we can draft all the CBs we want and other teams will just continue to dominate us with the run.. Definitely too high to pick a RT imo. we dont need a DT. And I think top 10 is too high to pick Floyd, Jeffries, or Wright at WR. I just dont know who we go for if we trade down and have a pick from 6-10. We need game changers/ play makers with a top 10 pick. Thoughts?
-
So I see that ALOT of people like Blackmon, and there is 100% NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Who is going to get him the ball??? You do relize even thou Blackmon is a stud, he is not that fast.
So I see that ALOT of people like Blackmon, and there is 100% NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. Who is going to get him the ball??? You do relize even thou Blackmon is a stud, he is not that fast.
While your right, dont forget that Larry Fitzgerald, A.J. Green, Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson and numerous others are not blazing fast recievers, although johnson is close. speed is important, but route running can gain seperation better then speed any day especially if your reciever can sell a route to the db. and the body control to shield defenders away from the ball also help alot which blackmon appears to have.
Colt can get him the ball, our offense if we had someone smart calling the plays should take advantage of his short to medium pass accuracy. Throwing deep isn't a huge part of the west coast offense, and we all know its Colts weakspot also. Now if we can get him some time so he doesn't have happy feet while in the pocket, and he can set and throw properly he can get the ball to recievers.
-
"1st round pick (#6-9)- Quinton Coples DE - great compliment to Sheard, solidifies the trenches on the D side. Potentially would be one of the best defensive fronts (the most important defensive corp) in the league"
I cannot say whether or not he will be a good player, but according to the reports from the senior bowl is that no lineman could block him 1v1. He dominated them all. With that being said, i believe DE has a higher bust rate then QB's when looking at them in the first round, they really are hit or miss and usually miss. I would steer clear imo, but if Blackmon, Kalil, are all gone and we are unable to trade down, it may be a good selection.
-
"1st round pick (#6-9)- Quinton Coples DE - great compliment to Sheard, solidifies the trenches on the D side. Potentially would be one of the best defensive fronts (the most important defensive corp) in the league"
I cannot say whether or not he will be a good player, but according to the reports from the senior bowl is that no lineman could block him 1v1. He dominated them all. With that being said, i believe DE has a higher bust rate then QB's when looking at them in the first round, they really are hit or miss and usually miss. I would steer clear imo, but if Blackmon, Kalil, are all gone and we are unable to trade down, it may be a good selection.
cbbacker said:
"1st round pick (#6-9)- Quinton Coples DE - great compliment to Sheard, solidifies the trenches on the D side. Potentially would be one of the best defensive fronts (the most important defensive corp) in the league"
I cannot say whether or not he will be a good player, but according to the reports from the senior bowl is that no lineman could block him 1v1. He dominated them all. With that being said, i believe DE has a higher bust rate then QB's when looking at them in the first round, they really are hit or miss and usually miss. I would steer clear imo, but if Blackmon, Kalil, are all gone and we are unable to trade down, it may be a good selection.
Why take Coples at #4 when you can get Vinny Curry in the second round? Curry put up great numbers last season with 94 total tackles and 12 sacks, and had two sacks in the Senior Bowl. He's a better pass rusher than Coples, and at 6'3, 265 he should be able to hold his own in run support.
Sheard/Curry could be like Freeney/Mathis.
Sure, it would be nice to grab a 6'6, 280 lb DE that is considered top 5 talent, but at what cost? There's been concerns over his maturity and work ethic already so why not trade back, add a couple picks, and then grab a guy in the second round who will probably put up the same numbers as Coples when all is said and done.
-
cbbacker said:
"1st round pick (#6-9)- Quinton Coples DE - great compliment to Sheard, solidifies the trenches on the D side. Potentially would be one of the best defensive fronts (the most important defensive corp) in the league"
I cannot say whether or not he will be a good player, but according to the reports from the senior bowl is that no lineman could block him 1v1. He dominated them all. With that being said, i believe DE has a higher bust rate then QB's when looking at them in the first round, they really are hit or miss and usually miss. I would steer clear imo, but if Blackmon, Kalil, are all gone and we are unable to trade down, it may be a good selection.
Why take Coples at #4 when you can get Vinny Curry in the second round? Curry put up great numbers last season with 94 total tackles and 12 sacks, and had two sacks in the Senior Bowl. He's a better pass rusher than Coples, and at 6'3, 265 he should be able to hold his own in run support.
Sheard/Curry could be like Freeney/Mathis.
Sure, it would be nice to grab a 6'6, 280 lb DE that is considered top 5 talent, but at what cost? There's been concerns over his maturity and work ethic already so why not trade back, add a couple picks, and then grab a guy in the second round who will probably put up the same numbers as Coples when all is said and done.
Why take Coples at #4 when you can get Vinny Curry in the second round? Curry put up great numbers last season with 94 total tackles and 12 sacks, and had two sacks in the Senior Bowl. He's a better pass rusher than Coples, and at 6'3, 265 he should be able to hold his own in run support.
Sheard/Curry could be like Freeney/Mathis.
Sure, it would be nice to grab a 6'6, 280 lb DE that is considered top 5 talent, but at what cost? There's been concerns over his maturity and work ethic already so why not trade back, add a couple picks, and then grab a guy in the second round who will probably put up the same numbers as Coples when all is said and done.
i actually said i would steer clear, and only take him if kalil, blackmon, are gone or trade back, i said only take him if we are unable to move and those guys we really want are gone, i would take coples before i took rg3 though.
-
Why take Coples at #4 when you can get Vinny Curry in the second round? Curry put up great numbers last season with 94 total tackles and 12 sacks, and had two sacks in the Senior Bowl. He's a better pass rusher than Coples, and at 6'3, 265 he should be able to hold his own in run support.
Sheard/Curry could be like Freeney/Mathis.
Sure, it would be nice to grab a 6'6, 280 lb DE that is considered top 5 talent, but at what cost? There's been concerns over his maturity and work ethic already so why not trade back, add a couple picks, and then grab a guy in the second round who will probably put up the same numbers as Coples when all is said and done.
i actually said i would steer clear, and only take him if kalil, blackmon, are gone or trade back, i said only take him if we are unable to move and those guys we really want are gone, i would take coples before i took rg3 though.
cbbacker said:
i actually said i would steer clear, and only take him if kalil, blackmon, are gone or trade back, i said only take him if we are unable to move and those guys we really want are gone, i would take coples before i took rg3 though.
Yea I dont think I would take Coples at 4, only if we trade back.. Like I said earlier, though, Im just not sure who else Id want with the 6-10 picks.
And btw, I really do not understand picking Kalil at 4.. We have Thomas for what seems like forever now, I dont want to take a RIGHT Tackle with a top five pick, that seems absolutely absurd to me.. We need speed and/or play makers, difference makers.. an above average RT in the 2nd plus a stud playmaker in the top 5 would have a way bigger effect on the Browns. I would take Claiborne over Kalil I think, even though I think CBs are extremely overrated..
-
The problem with Coples is that one day he will dominate and the other he won't put in and ounce of effort. That is all I heard about him at the Senior Bowl, how he would do great one practice and then blow the next, then during the game where he should have been motivated he got dominated by Adams the whole time. As someone already said Curry did great all week and performed well in the game, and even the DE Ingrem from S. Carolina who measured short being someing like 6'1-6'2 with only a 30 inch length on his arms still did well during practices.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login