Skip to content

Half Time Show.

The Browns Board
224 30 6.9k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, that first group wouldn't be better, just a bit more current perhaps. And they are not more appealing...that is all a matter of taste. (In fact, all you have done is list those act that suit your personal taste. The SB committee don't give a shit about your personal taste.) But those second guys would be the sort that could go on the SB list, as they are legendary Acts. And, FYI, Boston, Journey, Led Zep would have to re-form to perform...or in some cases you would have to raise people from the dead, like the lead singer of Boston. (but yes, the ones you mentioned have more cache than Green Day)

    Actually that's not my personal taste, that's exactly what you said...more current bands that are safe for the sb and that I'd imagine would have a wider appeal to the sb demographic than say...Madonna. I'm all for the stones, tom petty and springsteen doing it, but I wouldn't hate seeing some other, more current rock acts play.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Actually that's not my personal taste, that's exactly what you said...more current bands that are safe for the sb and that I'd imagine would have a wider appeal to the sb demographic than say...Madonna. I'm all for the stones, tom petty and springsteen doing it, but I wouldn't hate seeing some other, more current rock acts play.

    And when I say better I just mean better for the superbowl than the likes of van Morrison , Neil diamomd, James taylor, Paul Simon, Neil young etc. I like all of those performers but I don't think any of them is high energy enough for the superbowl. Can you imagine Simon standing there playing what? The boxer? How about taylor? Fire and rain? Sweet baby James? Neil young would be in the same boat as your opinion of green day. They've probably achieved more chart success and yes, they have longevity. They've been on the radio for 15 years now. You pooh-poohed them, but the fact is they're huge and high energy, perfect for the super bowl.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Whoa gip, green day is as big as the black eyed peas. Bigger even. I have no idea why you would shit on green day doing the halftime show and then suggest joni mitchell, Neil diamond, the pretenders, Elvis costello or van morrisson.

    Maybe in your mind....and maybe in certain charts, Green Day is as big as the Black eyed peas.

    But that is like saying the Black Keys are as big as the Black Eyed Peas.

    The Black Keys may in fact be one of the best acts going...and I would be prejudiced toward them, they being from Akron....but they are not a scintillating live act.

    But in the Pop culture World Green Day is viewed as either an emo band, or heavy metal, or whatever.

    They may as well bring out Eno to do "Another Green World" as have Green Day, as high as their profile is.

    People will think that the Packers are the halftime show if you have Green Day.

    And none of this is meant to disparage Green Day musically.

    But, I guarantee you, if it comes to high profile, every one of the acts on the list I gave will have a much higher profile than Green Day.

    Add Alice Cooper to the list.

    @the-gipper said:

    Maybe in your mind....and maybe in certain charts, Green Day is as big as the Black eyed peas.

    But that is like saying the Black Keys are as big as the Black Eyed Peas.

    The Black Keys may in fact be one of the best acts going...and I would be prejudiced toward them, they being from Akron....but they are not a scintillating live act.

    But in the Pop culture World Green Day is viewed as either an emo band, or heavy metal, or whatever.

    They may as well bring out Eno to do "Another Green World" as have Green Day, as high as their profile is.

    People will think that the Packers are the halftime show if you have Green Day.

    And none of this is meant to disparage Green Day musically.

    But, I guarantee you, if it comes to high profile, every one of the acts on the list I gave will have a much higher profile than Green Day.

    Add Alice Cooper to the list.

    Green Day isn't heavy metal.. they're an alternative band with heavy punkishness.

    Come on... Niel Young? He's not high profile.

  • Foo fighters, weezer, green day, metallica, pearl jam, red hot chili peppers would all be better than that list, and people under 50 might give a shit. Hell as far as "superstars" go no one on your list matches the star quality of people like snoop dogg or eminem. I'm not saying they're good just that more people would care to see them than would probably care to see Neil diamond these days. And I love me some cracklin' rose.

    Why not led zepplin or Boston? Or journey? Or ac/dc, or ozzy? If were going to harken back to the good old days, they are 1000 times more appealing than Elvis costello, joni mitchell or Alice cooper.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Pearl Jam

    Yes. That's actually a great idea. They are indeed legendary. It's still really difficult to get tickets.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Actually that's not my personal taste, that's exactly what you said...more current bands that are safe for the sb and that I'd imagine would have a wider appeal to the sb demographic than say...Madonna. I'm all for the stones, tom petty and springsteen doing it, but I wouldn't hate seeing some other, more current rock acts play.

    And when I say better I just mean better for the superbowl than the likes of van Morrison , Neil diamomd, James taylor, Paul Simon, Neil young etc. I like all of those performers but I don't think any of them is high energy enough for the superbowl. Can you imagine Simon standing there playing what? The boxer? How about taylor? Fire and rain? Sweet baby James? Neil young would be in the same boat as your opinion of green day. They've probably achieved more chart success and yes, they have longevity. They've been on the radio for 15 years now. You pooh-poohed them, but the fact is they're huge and high energy, perfect for the super bowl.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    And when I say better I just mean better for the superbowl than the likes of van Morrison , Neil diamomd, James taylor, Paul Simon, Neil young etc. I like all of those performers but I don't think any of them is high energy enough for the superbowl. Can you imagine Simon standing there playing what? The boxer? How about taylor? Fire and rain? Sweet baby James? Neil young would be in the same boat as your opinion of green day. They've probably achieved more chart success and yes, they have longevity. They've been on the radio for 15 years now. You pooh-poohed them, but the fact is they're huge and high energy, perfect for the super bowl.

    You're right about guys like Simon & Taylor. Neil Young can be plenty high energy- when he chooses to. But it's all about visual impact now- so scratch Neil.

    @the-gipper said:

    People here are so uninformed.

    This is the SUPERBOWL...and for its halftime show it is going for SUPERSTARS.

    That is why you see the headliners being.....The Who. The Rolling Stones. Bruce Springsteen. Madonna. Paul McCartney.

    How do you like this fare for future lineups, if some of them live that long:

    Bob Dylan Rod Stewart Voices totally shot

    Van Morrison Joni Mitchell Billy Joel James Taylor Paul Simon Neil Diamond Far too mellow

    Elton John (he did a commercial for yesterday, why not the show?)Tina Turner David Bowie Santana The Pretenders John Mellencamp Red Hot Chili Peppers all possibilities in my book

    The Eagles Fleetwood Mac Aerosmith R.E.M Edit: David Gilmour Lotsa luck getting these guys back together for a concert

    Guns n Roses Never, no way in hell after they stiffed and showed up late for countless gigs

    So, be glad with these.... and STFU or maybe the Super Bowl will bring back Up With People and Andy Williams types...(you want Michael Buble?)

    @the-gipper said:

    It doesn't matter, Green Day does not have cache with the pop music crowd....and the Super Bowl is all about the Top Pop.

    Albums don't mean shit.

    If that were the case then Jethro Tull and Procul Harum would the shit.

    They aren't when it comes to POPULAR Music.

    You are far more likely to see the following long before you see Green Day:

    Katy Perry, Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche, Eminem, Lady Gaga, Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Mariah Carey, Beyonce/Jay-Z, Kelly Clarkson, J Lo, Adele, Alicia Keys, Taylor Swift....hell, even Snoop Dog long before you see Green Day.

    Sorry, that is just the way it is. Geen Day may be better musically than everyone of them...If I gave them enough of a listen I might like them better than every one of them...but that is not going to give them the pop music stones to get on the Super Bowl halftime show....as the lead act.

    They may get a support role, like Ce Lo Green and those others did to Madonna...or, maybe in 25 years after they have been inducted into the RRHOF and have become a nostalgia act they may get the SB gig. But not now.

    +1

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Foo fighters, weezer, green day, metallica, pearl jam, red hot chili peppers would all be better than that list, and people under 50 might give a shit. Hell as far as "superstars" go no one on your list matches the star quality of people like snoop dogg or eminem. I'm not saying they're good just that more people would care to see them than would probably care to see Neil diamond these days. And I love me some cracklin' rose.

    Why not led zepplin or Boston? Or journey? Or ac/dc, or ozzy? If were going to harken back to the good old days, they are 1000 times more appealing than Elvis costello, joni mitchell or Alice cooper.

    With the Zep, only Plant and Page are above ground, and Page isn't reliable. Ditto that Boston's lead singer is dead. AC\DC is a possibility. Foo fighters, weezer, green day, ain't the right demographic. I love Metallica, but I doubt they'd do the SB- and I doubt the folks in charge would want them.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Whoa gip, green day is as big as the black eyed peas. Bigger even. I have no idea why you would shit on green day doing the halftime show and then suggest joni mitchell, Neil diamond, the pretenders, Elvis costello or van morrisson.

    Maybe in your mind....and maybe in certain charts, Green Day is as big as the Black eyed peas.

    But that is like saying the Black Keys are as big as the Black Eyed Peas.

    The Black Keys may in fact be one of the best acts going...and I would be prejudiced toward them, they being from Akron....but they are not a scintillating live act.

    But in the Pop culture World Green Day is viewed as either an emo band, or heavy metal, or whatever.

    They may as well bring out Eno to do "Another Green World" as have Green Day, as high as their profile is.

    People will think that the Packers are the halftime show if you have Green Day.

    And none of this is meant to disparage Green Day musically.

    But, I guarantee you, if it comes to high profile, every one of the acts on the list I gave will have a much higher profile than Green Day.

    Add Alice Cooper to the list.

    @the-gipper said:

    Maybe in your mind....and maybe in certain charts, Green Day is as big as the Black eyed peas.

    But that is like saying the Black Keys are as big as the Black Eyed Peas.

    The Black Keys may in fact be one of the best acts going...and I would be prejudiced toward them, they being from Akron....but they are not a scintillating live act.

    But in the Pop culture World Green Day is viewed as either an emo band, or heavy metal, or whatever.

    They may as well bring out Eno to do "Another Green World" as have Green Day, as high as their profile is.

    People will think that the Packers are the halftime show if you have Green Day.

    And none of this is meant to disparage Green Day musically.

    But, I guarantee you, if it comes to high profile, every one of the acts on the list I gave will have a much higher profile than Green Day.

    Add Alice Cooper to the list.

    I will preface this by saying I am not at all a huge Green Day fan. I do like there music and I do love music in general.

    Green Day is HUGE dude. And they are far from emo or metal...in fact you calling them metal or emo is laughable and it shows your ignorance to A. Green Days music and/or B. what emo or Metal actually is. Green Day is now at this stage in there career a pop band. They have had HUGE records and still sell out arenas when they tour. There American Idiot record was even turned into a broadway play. On top of all that they have been out for just about 20 years now. Green Day is so much bigger then Black Eyed Peas it is laughable to even compare them. They would in fact be a perfect half time show. In another 5 years BEP will be gone and forgotten and Green Day will probably be being inducted to the R&R HOF. Green Day is bigger then most of the bands you even named ... like REM, Chili Peppers, Joni Mitchell, The Pretenders, Joni Mitchell, Bob Seger, Tina Turner, Van Morrison, Alice Cooper, ETC ... You are really under selling Green Day and the impact they have made on music over there career. The only thing the people you names have over them is that they have been around longer. All that really means though is that they are older not better.

    Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Foo Fighters would all be a perfect blend of Huge and "hip" bands to perform for half time.

  • green day.....is bigger than chili peppers and REM, van morrision, seger?

    how old are you.....16? green day was just another MTV-promoted one-hit-wonder that sold out into the pop band you describe. my wife, being a real punk chick, laughs at people like you that think that crap was actually good. you look at the crap corporate rock and eat it up cause they tell ya too.....

    foo fighters? lmao...yeah, the guy that got rich off kurt cobain made a crappy MTV band and thats whats apprpriate for the superbowl?

    pearl jam didn't suck so bad, but damn you dont know shit about real music.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Maybe in your mind....and maybe in certain charts, Green Day is as big as the Black eyed peas.

    But that is like saying the Black Keys are as big as the Black Eyed Peas.

    The Black Keys may in fact be one of the best acts going...and I would be prejudiced toward them, they being from Akron....but they are not a scintillating live act.

    But in the Pop culture World Green Day is viewed as either an emo band, or heavy metal, or whatever.

    They may as well bring out Eno to do "Another Green World" as have Green Day, as high as their profile is.

    People will think that the Packers are the halftime show if you have Green Day.

    And none of this is meant to disparage Green Day musically.

    But, I guarantee you, if it comes to high profile, every one of the acts on the list I gave will have a much higher profile than Green Day.

    Add Alice Cooper to the list.

    I will preface this by saying I am not at all a huge Green Day fan. I do like there music and I do love music in general.

    Green Day is HUGE dude. And they are far from emo or metal...in fact you calling them metal or emo is laughable and it shows your ignorance to A. Green Days music and/or B. what emo or Metal actually is. Green Day is now at this stage in there career a pop band. They have had HUGE records and still sell out arenas when they tour. There American Idiot record was even turned into a broadway play. On top of all that they have been out for just about 20 years now. Green Day is so much bigger then Black Eyed Peas it is laughable to even compare them. They would in fact be a perfect half time show. In another 5 years BEP will be gone and forgotten and Green Day will probably be being inducted to the R&R HOF. Green Day is bigger then most of the bands you even named ... like REM, Chili Peppers, Joni Mitchell, The Pretenders, Joni Mitchell, Bob Seger, Tina Turner, Van Morrison, Alice Cooper, ETC ... You are really under selling Green Day and the impact they have made on music over there career. The only thing the people you names have over them is that they have been around longer. All that really means though is that they are older not better.

    Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Foo Fighters would all be a perfect blend of Huge and "hip" bands to perform for half time.

    @jnuh said:

    I will preface this by saying I am not at all a huge Green Day fan. I do like there music and I do love music in general.

    Green Day is HUGE dude. And they are far from emo or metal...in fact you calling them metal or emo is laughable and it shows your ignorance to A. Green Days music and/or B. what emo or Metal actually is. Green Day is now at this stage in there career a pop band. They have had HUGE records and still sell out arenas when they tour. There American Idiot record was even turned into a broadway play. On top of all that they have been out for just about 20 years now. Green Day is so much bigger then Black Eyed Peas it is laughable to even compare them. They would in fact be a perfect half time show. In another 5 years BEP will be gone and forgotten and Green Day will probably be being inducted to the R&R HOF. Green Day is bigger then most of the bands you even named ... like REM, Chili Peppers, Joni Mitchell, The Pretenders, Joni Mitchell, Bob Seger, Tina Turner, Van Morrison, Alice Cooper, ETC ... You are really under selling Green Day and the impact they have made on music over there career. The only thing the people you names have over them is that they have been around longer. All that really means though is that they are older not better.

    Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Foo Fighters would all be a perfect blend of Huge and "hip" bands to perform for half time.

    I will start by saying I'm a huge Green Day fan. (calling them emo or metal is funny) I saw those guys at Gilman Street when they were called Sweet Children and Mike Dirnt was still Mike Pritchard. I've seen them go from playing bars and parking lots on a flatbed trailer to stadiums. I learned to separate my enjoyment of music with my political views long ago being a fan of punk and alternative music while not being a left winger.

    Green Day & The Foo Fighter are definetly SB halftime quality. There big a enough and have been around long enough. The Foo's filled Wembley Stadium.

  • green day.....is bigger than chili peppers and REM, van morrision, seger?

    how old are you.....16? green day was just another MTV-promoted one-hit-wonder that sold out into the pop band you describe. my wife, being a real punk chick, laughs at people like you that think that crap was actually good. you look at the crap corporate rock and eat it up cause they tell ya too.....

    foo fighters? lmao...yeah, the guy that got rich off kurt cobain made a crappy MTV band and thats whats apprpriate for the superbowl?

    pearl jam didn't suck so bad, but damn you dont know shit about real music.

    @choco said:

    green day.....is bigger than chili peppers and REM, van morrision, seger?

    how old are you.....16? green day was just another MTV-promoted one-hit-wonder that sold out into the pop band you describe. my wife, being a real punk chick, laughs at people like you that think that crap was actually good. you look at the crap corporate rock and eat it up cause they tell ya too.....

    foo fighters? lmao...yeah, the guy that got rich off kurt cobain made a crappy MTV band and thats whats apprpriate for the superbowl?

    pearl jam didn't suck so bad, but damn you dont know shit about real music.

    How about Half Life, The Heretics or Cynics or some bands from the Electric Banana. Would they be acceptable for you REAL punk rockers?

  • Zombo said:

    Halftime is when the heteros take a dump, walk the dog and restock the fridge for the second half.

    Who cares what the entertainment is ... it's a little bone we throw in for chicks and homos so that they let us have our day and feel like they are part of it.

    Zombo

    Yah thats it. Aren't the guys complaining about homos all the time the ones who end up getting caught giving BJs in public restroom somewhere? 😆

  • green day.....is bigger than chili peppers and REM, van morrision, seger?

    how old are you.....16? green day was just another MTV-promoted one-hit-wonder that sold out into the pop band you describe. my wife, being a real punk chick, laughs at people like you that think that crap was actually good. you look at the crap corporate rock and eat it up cause they tell ya too.....

    foo fighters? lmao...yeah, the guy that got rich off kurt cobain made a crappy MTV band and thats whats apprpriate for the superbowl?

    pearl jam didn't suck so bad, but damn you dont know shit about real music.

    @choco said:

    green day.....is bigger than chili peppers and REM, van morrision, seger?

    how old are you.....16? green day was just another MTV-promoted one-hit-wonder that sold out into the pop band you describe. my wife, being a real punk chick, laughs at people like you that think that crap was actually good. you look at the crap corporate rock and eat it up cause they tell ya too.....

    foo fighters? lmao...yeah, the guy that got rich off kurt cobain made a crappy MTV band and thats whats apprpriate for the superbowl?

    pearl jam didn't suck so bad, but damn you dont know shit about real music.

    Yeah you're right...Madonna is better

  • Zombo said:

    I'm complaining about them, I'm saying it's nice that we make them included.

    The whole BJ in the restroom is straight from your head, brother.

    Zombo

    Ha Ha OK.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Well, that first group wouldn't be better, just a bit more current perhaps. And they are not more appealing...that is all a matter of taste. (In fact, all you have done is list those act that suit your personal taste. The SB committee don't give a shit about your personal taste.) But those second guys would be the sort that could go on the SB list, as they are legendary Acts. And, FYI, Boston, Journey, Led Zep would have to re-form to perform...or in some cases you would have to raise people from the dead, like the lead singer of Boston. (but yes, the ones you mentioned have more cache than Green Day)

    Actually that's not my personal taste, that's exactly what you said...more current bands that are safe for the sb and that I'd imagine would have a wider appeal to the sb demographic than say...Madonna. I'm all for the stones, tom petty and springsteen doing it, but I wouldn't hate seeing some other, more current rock acts play.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Actually that's not my personal taste, that's exactly what you said...more current bands that are safe for the sb and that I'd imagine would have a wider appeal to the sb demographic than say...Madonna. I'm all for the stones, tom petty and springsteen doing it, but I wouldn't hate seeing some other, more current rock acts play.

    FYI, Madonna has just as much or more appeal to the SB audience as anyone. I mean, lets face it, in the history of rock music, she was the female Elvis.

    As for current "rock" acts that you would like to see play....I guess I would have to ask how you define that. Isn't Black Eyed Peas current enough for you? Ce Lo Green? Or do you not consider them "rock acts". In the last few years you had the greatest rock acts in history play the Super Bowl. The Holy Trinity in fact: A Beatle, the Rolling Stones, The Who. Yes, not current...but legendary.

    Like I said, with the antics of whateverthefuckhernameis the other day, expect to see more older acts...not someone trying to make a name for themselves by giving the finger to 110 million people. Expect Elton John or Bowie.

    If you want current, I guess it is possible for someone like Coldplay to get the nod. They might be a good choice.

  • green day.....is bigger than chili peppers and REM, van morrision, seger?

    how old are you.....16? green day was just another MTV-promoted one-hit-wonder that sold out into the pop band you describe. my wife, being a real punk chick, laughs at people like you that think that crap was actually good. you look at the crap corporate rock and eat it up cause they tell ya too.....

    foo fighters? lmao...yeah, the guy that got rich off kurt cobain made a crappy MTV band and thats whats apprpriate for the superbowl?

    pearl jam didn't suck so bad, but damn you dont know shit about real music.

    @choco said:

    green day.....is bigger than chili peppers and REM, van morrision, seger?

    how old are you.....16? green day was just another MTV-promoted one-hit-wonder that sold out into the pop band you describe. my wife, being a real punk chick, laughs at people like you that think that crap was actually good. you look at the crap corporate rock and eat it up cause they tell ya too.....

    foo fighters? lmao...yeah, the guy that got rich off kurt cobain made a crappy MTV band and thats whats apprpriate for the superbowl?

    pearl jam didn't suck so bad, but damn you dont know shit about real music.

    Far from 16 buddy ...

    How can you call Green Day a MTV promoted 1 hit wonder? and then tell me I know shit about real music.

    Plain and simple 1 hit wonders don't last 20 years .... And at this point Foo Fighters have been around almost 20 years as well. They aren't simply making money off Kurt Cobain ... they are putting out good records. If they sucked they would have went away like sweet 75 (Kris Novaselic's band)

    You might not like Foo, Green Day, or Pearl Jam which is fine because I am not a huge fan of them either, but it is ignorant to call them "MTV" made bands when they are still putting out "hit" records and selling out arena's in a time where MTV doesn't even play music.

    **edit** Green Day has won 5 grammys and sold 65 million records world wide (which is crazy when you consider the second half of there career was in the middle of the digital age where everyone and there mother pirates music) not bad for an MTV promoted one hit wonder

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Actually that's not my personal taste, that's exactly what you said...more current bands that are safe for the sb and that I'd imagine would have a wider appeal to the sb demographic than say...Madonna. I'm all for the stones, tom petty and springsteen doing it, but I wouldn't hate seeing some other, more current rock acts play.

    And when I say better I just mean better for the superbowl than the likes of van Morrison , Neil diamomd, James taylor, Paul Simon, Neil young etc. I like all of those performers but I don't think any of them is high energy enough for the superbowl. Can you imagine Simon standing there playing what? The boxer? How about taylor? Fire and rain? Sweet baby James? Neil young would be in the same boat as your opinion of green day. They've probably achieved more chart success and yes, they have longevity. They've been on the radio for 15 years now. You pooh-poohed them, but the fact is they're huge and high energy, perfect for the super bowl.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    And when I say better I just mean better for the superbowl than the likes of van Morrison , Neil diamomd, James taylor, Paul Simon, Neil young etc. I like all of those performers but I don't think any of them is high energy enough for the superbowl. Can you imagine Simon standing there playing what? The boxer? How about taylor? Fire and rain? Sweet baby James? Neil young would be in the same boat as your opinion of green day. They've probably achieved more chart success and yes, they have longevity. They've been on the radio for 15 years now. You pooh-poohed them, but the fact is they're huge and high energy, perfect for the super bowl.

    I don't know. What the Super Bowl wants is a name that everyone knows. 10% of the SB audience might know Green Day where 90% know Elton John or others. Plus, as you can see from Sunday, the SB wants theatrics. Elton John, David Bowie, Beyonce will give theatrics. I have never heard of Green Day being theatrical.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Maybe in your mind....and maybe in certain charts, Green Day is as big as the Black eyed peas.

    But that is like saying the Black Keys are as big as the Black Eyed Peas.

    The Black Keys may in fact be one of the best acts going...and I would be prejudiced toward them, they being from Akron....but they are not a scintillating live act.

    But in the Pop culture World Green Day is viewed as either an emo band, or heavy metal, or whatever.

    They may as well bring out Eno to do "Another Green World" as have Green Day, as high as their profile is.

    People will think that the Packers are the halftime show if you have Green Day.

    And none of this is meant to disparage Green Day musically.

    But, I guarantee you, if it comes to high profile, every one of the acts on the list I gave will have a much higher profile than Green Day.

    Add Alice Cooper to the list.

    Green Day isn't heavy metal.. they're an alternative band with heavy punkishness.

    Come on... Niel Young? He's not high profile.

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    Green Day isn't heavy metal.. they're an alternative band with heavy punkishness.

    Come on... Niel Young? He's not high profile.

    Really? I would wager that 10 times more people know Neil Young's music than know Green Day's music. What rock have you been living under?

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    And when I say better I just mean better for the superbowl than the likes of van Morrison , Neil diamomd, James taylor, Paul Simon, Neil young etc. I like all of those performers but I don't think any of them is high energy enough for the superbowl. Can you imagine Simon standing there playing what? The boxer? How about taylor? Fire and rain? Sweet baby James? Neil young would be in the same boat as your opinion of green day. They've probably achieved more chart success and yes, they have longevity. They've been on the radio for 15 years now. You pooh-poohed them, but the fact is they're huge and high energy, perfect for the super bowl.

    I don't know. What the Super Bowl wants is a name that everyone knows. 10% of the SB audience might know Green Day where 90% know Elton John or others. Plus, as you can see from Sunday, the SB wants theatrics. Elton John, David Bowie, Beyonce will give theatrics. I have never heard of Green Day being theatrical.

    @the-gipper said:

    I don't know. What the Super Bowl wants is a name that everyone knows. 10% of the SB audience might know Green Day where 90% know Elton John or others. Plus, as you can see from Sunday, the SB wants theatrics. Elton John, David Bowie, Beyonce will give theatrics. I have never heard of Green Day being theatrical.

  • @vaportrail said:

    I really don't understand why Green Day hasn't had a halftime show. They're not my favorite band by any means, but old people know enough to have heard of them, Armstrong's voice isn't shot (like say, everyone in the Who), and they're pretty damn popular in younger generations. Who the fuck wants to listen to a pop star in the twilight of her career while watching a football game?

    People here are so uninformed.

    This is the SUPERBOWL...and for its halftime show it is going for SUPERSTARS.

    That is why you see the headliners being.....The Who. The Rolling Stones. Bruce Springsteen. Madonna. Paul McCartney.

    It isn't the mediocre Bowl, and they are not going for mediocre stars.

    They can bring in supporting groups like Ce Lo Green or whomever..

    but the Headliner, now, is going to be a well established persona...and likely a Rock n Roll Hall of Fame act.

    Here is something all y'all might like to consider. Until 1990, the top name acts that appeared at the halftime show of the Super Bowl included the following:

    Up With People....5 times

    Carol Channing

    Andy Williams

    Disney's "Its a Small World"

    Ella Fitzgerald

    Al Hirt

    Mickey Rooney

    George Burns

    Pete Fountain

    The Rockettes.

    Chubby Checker

    and various College bands.

    At that time, they started "getting hip". They starting booking acts like:

    1991: New Kids on the Block

    1992: Gloria Estafan

    1993:Michael Jackson

    1994: Country stars Tanya Tucker, Clint Black, The Judds

    1995: Patti LaBelle and Teddy Pendergrast

    1996: Diana Ross

    1997:The Blues Brothers (post Belushi)

    1998: Motown acts Smokey Robinson, The Temptaions, Martha Reeves

    1999: Chaka Khan, Stevie Wonder, Kiss

    2000: Phil Collins and Christina Aguilera

    2001: Aerosmith, N'Sync, Britney Spears, Mary J. Blige and Nelly

    2002: U2

    2003: Shania Twain, No Doubt, Sting

    Then came the "wardrobe" malfunction year of 2004 when they had big stars Janet Jackson and he boobs and Justin Timberlake. The SuperBowl committee obviously decided they had come too far with the attempt to appeal to the "new,hip" kids. Besides, the rating were not as good. So, what did they do? They decided they no longer needed "B" class stars. They needed Superstars. The best that ever was, and ones that wouldn't be controversial. So, you got:

    2005: Paul McCartney

    2006: The Rolling Stones

    2007: Prince

    2008: Tom Petty

    2009: Bruce Springsteen

    2010: The Who

    2011: They decided to once again go current with Blackeyed Peas and Usher, it went OK.

    2012: They decided to mix it up: old school: Madonna. Newer school: Celo Green, Nikki Minaj

    But they also included this performer called "M.I.A." who first gave the finger on stage, then used "shit" in her language.

    So, for all of you claiming that you want newer acts....this "M.I.A." just screwed that up for you. Because of he BS, you can now expect another diet of all time...but older greats.

    How do you like this fare for future lineups, if some of them live that long:

    Bob Dylan

    Tina Turner

    Van Morrison

    Elton John (he did a commercial for yesterday, why not the show?)

    Rod Stewart

    Neil Young

    David Bowie

    Joni Mitchell

    The Eagles

    Fleetwood Mac

    Santana

    Billy Joel

    James Taylor

    Aerosmith

    Paul Simon

    Elvis Costello

    Bob Seger

    The Pretenders

    R.E.M

    John Mellencamp

    Neil Diamond

    Guns n Roses

    Red Hot Chili Peppers

    So, be glad with these.... and STFU or maybe the Super Bowl will bring back Up With People and Andy Williams types...(you want Michael Buble?)

    @the-gipper said:

    Up With People....5 times

    ... and don't we need them now more than ever... 😎

    @the-gipper said:

    How do you like this fare for future lineups...:

    Elton John (he did a commercial for yesterday, why not the show?)

    David Bowie

    The Eagles

    Billy Joel

    Billy and Elton did a tour together a few ago; reuniting them for a SB would be great... so long as Billy was provided with a car service...

    Bowie would be a great choice.

    Eagles (there is no "The") could work as well. But I'm not sure the crowd would be up for a rousing rendition of "Long Road out of Eden".

  • @the-gipper said:

    Maybe in your mind....and maybe in certain charts, Green Day is as big as the Black eyed peas.

    But that is like saying the Black Keys are as big as the Black Eyed Peas.

    The Black Keys may in fact be one of the best acts going...and I would be prejudiced toward them, they being from Akron....but they are not a scintillating live act.

    But in the Pop culture World Green Day is viewed as either an emo band, or heavy metal, or whatever.

    They may as well bring out Eno to do "Another Green World" as have Green Day, as high as their profile is.

    People will think that the Packers are the halftime show if you have Green Day.

    And none of this is meant to disparage Green Day musically.

    But, I guarantee you, if it comes to high profile, every one of the acts on the list I gave will have a much higher profile than Green Day.

    Add Alice Cooper to the list.

    I will preface this by saying I am not at all a huge Green Day fan. I do like there music and I do love music in general.

    Green Day is HUGE dude. And they are far from emo or metal...in fact you calling them metal or emo is laughable and it shows your ignorance to A. Green Days music and/or B. what emo or Metal actually is. Green Day is now at this stage in there career a pop band. They have had HUGE records and still sell out arenas when they tour. There American Idiot record was even turned into a broadway play. On top of all that they have been out for just about 20 years now. Green Day is so much bigger then Black Eyed Peas it is laughable to even compare them. They would in fact be a perfect half time show. In another 5 years BEP will be gone and forgotten and Green Day will probably be being inducted to the R&R HOF. Green Day is bigger then most of the bands you even named ... like REM, Chili Peppers, Joni Mitchell, The Pretenders, Joni Mitchell, Bob Seger, Tina Turner, Van Morrison, Alice Cooper, ETC ... You are really under selling Green Day and the impact they have made on music over there career. The only thing the people you names have over them is that they have been around longer. All that really means though is that they are older not better.

    Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Foo Fighters would all be a perfect blend of Huge and "hip" bands to perform for half time.

    @jnuh said:

    I will preface this by saying I am not at all a huge Green Day fan. I do like there music and I do love music in general.

    Green Day is HUGE dude. And they are far from emo or metal...in fact you calling them metal or emo is laughable and it shows your ignorance to A. Green Days music and/or B. what emo or Metal actually is. Green Day is now at this stage in there career a pop band. They have had HUGE records and still sell out arenas when they tour. There American Idiot record was even turned into a broadway play. On top of all that they have been out for just about 20 years now. Green Day is so much bigger then Black Eyed Peas it is laughable to even compare them. They would in fact be a perfect half time show. In another 5 years BEP will be gone and forgotten and Green Day will probably be being inducted to the R&R HOF. Green Day is bigger then most of the bands you even named ... like REM, Chili Peppers, Joni Mitchell, The Pretenders, Joni Mitchell, Bob Seger, Tina Turner, Van Morrison, Alice Cooper, ETC ... You are really under selling Green Day and the impact they have made on music over there career. The only thing the people you names have over them is that they have been around longer. All that really means though is that they are older not better.

    Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Foo Fighters would all be a perfect blend of Huge and "hip" bands to perform for half time.

    Well....here it is....If I don't even know what kind of music Green Day plays....I had to look it up to learn that they were essentially a punk act...and if I cannot tell you a single song that Green Day has ever done...

    there is the proof in the pudding that Green Day does not have the profile to be a Super Bowl act.

    And I am not a musical novice.

  • @jnuh said:

    I will preface this by saying I am not at all a huge Green Day fan. I do like there music and I do love music in general.

    Green Day is HUGE dude. And they are far from emo or metal...in fact you calling them metal or emo is laughable and it shows your ignorance to A. Green Days music and/or B. what emo or Metal actually is. Green Day is now at this stage in there career a pop band. They have had HUGE records and still sell out arenas when they tour. There American Idiot record was even turned into a broadway play. On top of all that they have been out for just about 20 years now. Green Day is so much bigger then Black Eyed Peas it is laughable to even compare them. They would in fact be a perfect half time show. In another 5 years BEP will be gone and forgotten and Green Day will probably be being inducted to the R&R HOF. Green Day is bigger then most of the bands you even named ... like REM, Chili Peppers, Joni Mitchell, The Pretenders, Joni Mitchell, Bob Seger, Tina Turner, Van Morrison, Alice Cooper, ETC ... You are really under selling Green Day and the impact they have made on music over there career. The only thing the people you names have over them is that they have been around longer. All that really means though is that they are older not better.

    Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Foo Fighters would all be a perfect blend of Huge and "hip" bands to perform for half time.

    Well....here it is....If I don't even know what kind of music Green Day plays....I had to look it up to learn that they were essentially a punk act...and if I cannot tell you a single song that Green Day has ever done...

    there is the proof in the pudding that Green Day does not have the profile to be a Super Bowl act.

    And I am not a musical novice.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well....here it is....If I don't even know what kind of music Green Day plays....I had to look it up to learn that they were essentially a punk act...and if I cannot tell you a single song that Green Day has ever done...

    there is the proof in the pudding that Green Day does not have the profile to be a Super Bowl act.

    And I am not a musical novice.

    Honestly, You thinking that 90% of the SB audiance wouldn't know Green Day and would know Neil Young because thats who you know and don't know couldn't be more wrong. More people know Green Day then Young that isn't even a question in my mind. With all do respect you might just be older and out of touch with newer music. Just because you don't know Green Day and had to look them up doesn't make them some small time band. Neil Young to me has no reconizable songs except rockin in the free world and cinnamon girl and those aren't really HUGE songs. And he doesn't put on anywhere near the show that Green Day would. I think if you checked out some Green Day songs you would realize that you indeed do know the songs. They have had HUGE songs man. in 1994 you couldn't go anywhere without hearing "Basket Case" .... or how about when the last episode of Seinfeld one of the biggest shows ever and they end the series with a Green Day song ("Time Of My Life") or any of the hits off the American Idiot record which was turned into a Broadway show.

    BTW they could do a snippet of the Broadway show for half time show if they really wanted too.

  • Bullcrap gipper, you know green day even if you don't listen to them. They've been used in a thousand promos and ads. You'd have to be the one living under a rock. There's a reason they use holiday and time of your life in all those promos and not, say, scenes from an Italian resteraunt by billie Joel even though it is a better song.