Half Time Show.
-
You keep mentioning coldplay. Coldplay is not in green days league.
Yes. Coldplay is more well known and probably with bigger hits.
Give a little thanks to Gwyneth.
Yes. Coldplay is more well known and probably with bigger hits.
Give a little thanks to Gwyneth.
Nope, not at all. Not even a little bit. Probably not even in England.
-
No are they up and coming. Yellow came out like 12 years ago.
With all due respect Gip, i really enjoy your post and all but this argument feels like I'm arguing with my dad.
I am probably as old or older than your Dad.
Which of course means that I am wiser.
Again, many of you are arguing here based on your musical taste....which is wholly not the issue. The issue is mass notoriety and appeal.
Green Day doesn't bring that to the table, though musically they may be far beyond whomever might be pegged for the Super Bowl.
I mean, if I said: are you willing to bet $100.00 on who will be picked to do the Super Bowl halftime show: Beyonce or Green Day.....who would you place your money on?
Clearly it would be Beyonce.
I mean it would be like saying: who would you be willing to bet $100.00 on to be in the Super Bowl next year: The Browns or Green Bay?
There the green team would win.
How about this prop bet: put $100.00 on what is more likely to happen first: The Browns in the Super Bowl, or Green Day in the Super Bowl halftime show?
Ouch!!
I am probably as old or older than your Dad.
Which of course means that I am wiser.
Again, many of you are arguing here based on your musical taste....which is wholly not the issue. The issue is mass notoriety and appeal.
Green Day doesn't bring that to the table, though musically they may be far beyond whomever might be pegged for the Super Bowl.
I mean, if I said: are you willing to bet $100.00 on who will be picked to do the Super Bowl halftime show: Beyonce or Green Day.....who would you place your money on?
Clearly it would be Beyonce.
I mean it would be like saying: who would you be willing to bet $100.00 on to be in the Super Bowl next year: The Browns or Green Bay?
There the green team would win.
How about this prop bet: put $100.00 on what is more likely to happen first: The Browns in the Super Bowl, or Green Day in the Super Bowl halftime show?
Ouch!!
OOHhhh, sadly I would have to take Green Day over the Browns.
-
Well, they aren't "top hat" to you... and you are extrapolating that to all of America, which isn't true. I don't like Green Day that much, not my style of music (only "punk" I've ever listened to was my very first CD, Blink 182) but I know who they are.
Every time they try to gear a show to us young people though something goes wrong... so that's not a good sign.
Well, they aren't "top hat" to you... and you are extrapolating that to all of America, which isn't true. I don't like Green Day that much, not my style of music (only "punk" I've ever listened to was my very first CD, Blink 182) but I know who they are.
Every time they try to gear a show to us young people though something goes wrong... so that's not a good sign.
Yeah but they're using Justin timberlake and MIA. If tom petty can do it, the foo fighters could headline it, that's not disparaging tom petty, only acknowlidging that the foo fighters have many well known hits, as does green day. I'm not a rap guy but I'd rather see snoop dogg and eminem up there than Madonna. And you know what? They'd probably conduct themselves better than Janet Jackson and MIA.
-
No are they up and coming. Yellow came out like 12 years ago.
With all due respect Gip, i really enjoy your post and all but this argument feels like I'm arguing with my dad.
I am probably as old or older than your Dad.
Which of course means that I am wiser.
Again, many of you are arguing here based on your musical taste....which is wholly not the issue. The issue is mass notoriety and appeal.
Green Day doesn't bring that to the table, though musically they may be far beyond whomever might be pegged for the Super Bowl.
I mean, if I said: are you willing to bet $100.00 on who will be picked to do the Super Bowl halftime show: Beyonce or Green Day.....who would you place your money on?
Clearly it would be Beyonce.
I mean it would be like saying: who would you be willing to bet $100.00 on to be in the Super Bowl next year: The Browns or Green Bay?
There the green team would win.
How about this prop bet: put $100.00 on what is more likely to happen first: The Browns in the Super Bowl, or Green Day in the Super Bowl halftime show?
Ouch!!
I am probably as old or older than your Dad.
Which of course means that I am wiser.
Again, many of you are arguing here based on your musical taste....which is wholly not the issue. The issue is mass notoriety and appeal.
Green Day doesn't bring that to the table, though musically they may be far beyond whomever might be pegged for the Super Bowl.
I mean, if I said: are you willing to bet $100.00 on who will be picked to do the Super Bowl halftime show: Beyonce or Green Day.....who would you place your money on?
Clearly it would be Beyonce.
I mean it would be like saying: who would you be willing to bet $100.00 on to be in the Super Bowl next year: The Browns or Green Bay?
There the green team would win.
How about this prop bet: put $100.00 on what is more likely to happen first: The Browns in the Super Bowl, or Green Day in the Super Bowl halftime show?
Ouch!!
Who the hell was the douchey husband wife country team doing the star spangled banner? More people know green day than them and that's the truth.
-
Well, they aren't "top hat" to you... and you are extrapolating that to all of America, which isn't true. I don't like Green Day that much, not my style of music (only "punk" I've ever listened to was my very first CD, Blink 182) but I know who they are.
Every time they try to gear a show to us young people though something goes wrong... so that's not a good sign.
Yeah but they're using Justin timberlake and MIA. If tom petty can do it, the foo fighters could headline it, that's not disparaging tom petty, only acknowlidging that the foo fighters have many well known hits, as does green day. I'm not a rap guy but I'd rather see snoop dogg and eminem up there than Madonna. And you know what? They'd probably conduct themselves better than Janet Jackson and MIA.
Yeah but they're using Justin timberlake and MIA. If tom petty can do it, the foo fighters could headline it, that's not disparaging tom petty, only acknowlidging that the foo fighters have many well known hits, as does green day. I'm not a rap guy but I'd rather see snoop dogg and eminem up there than Madonna. And you know what? They'd probably conduct themselves better than Janet Jackson and MIA.
How about some Jawaiian music. JBoog is my favorite.
-
Well, they aren't "top hat" to you... and you are extrapolating that to all of America, which isn't true. I don't like Green Day that much, not my style of music (only "punk" I've ever listened to was my very first CD, Blink 182) but I know who they are.
Every time they try to gear a show to us young people though something goes wrong... so that's not a good sign.
Well, they aren't "top hat" to you... and you are extrapolating that to all of America, which isn't true. I don't like Green Day that much, not my style of music (only "punk" I've ever listened to was my very first CD, Blink 182) but I know who they are.
Every time they try to gear a show to us young people though something goes wrong... so that's not a good sign.
Yea, I know who they are too. I know who The Sex Pistols are, I know who The Ramones are, I know who Buzzcock is etc. etc. And supposedly Green Day is in that category as well.
Look, children....when I was young....and my heart was an open book, I used to say live and let live....(excuse me, I digress into song lyrics...see what happens when you get my age)..
when I was young the Super Bowl halftime shows were NOT The Rolling Stones, The Who or Bruce Springsteen. They weren't gearing those shows for the young people of my age.
No, they were giving us Andy Williams, Up With People, Carol Channing, and George Burns. Hell we had to wait until 1988 to get someone as current as Chubby Checker.
So, quit your bitchin'....and get ready for Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood or something like that if you want current.
(or else you will get Elton John)
-
I think Blink 182 has a better shot then Green Day. I'd still prefer Garth Brooks or George Strait. A Garth Brooks show consisting of Callin' Baton Rouge, Ain't Goin Down, Rodeo (personal pick), Thunder Rolls, and Friends in Low Places would be amazing. A George Strait show consisting of Blue Clear Sky, Heartland, Carrying Your Love With Me, Run (personal pick), and Carried Away or Check Yes or No would be pretty bad ass as well. The songs in bold are must haves. The thing is they both have countless other top of the charts songs they could substitute in. It won't be as exciting as a Beyonce or Black Eyed Peas but its pretty low risk (no middle fingers or wardrobe malfunctions) high reward (entertaining and recognizable). They would be solid choices in New Orleans (next year) or in Arizona (2015). As for New York/New Jersey I have a hard time not seeing them go with Jay-Z. After all he is the King of New York. Plus you know Kanye and Beyonce will be making appearances with him.
-
Oh God.... not country music.
Some one said Eminem. Every time I've seen Eminem do a performance at like the Grammys or something it's pretty awesome. No way he'll ever do a super bowl, but it would be sick.
-
Well, they aren't "top hat" to you... and you are extrapolating that to all of America, which isn't true. I don't like Green Day that much, not my style of music (only "punk" I've ever listened to was my very first CD, Blink 182) but I know who they are.
Every time they try to gear a show to us young people though something goes wrong... so that's not a good sign.
Yea, I know who they are too. I know who The Sex Pistols are, I know who The Ramones are, I know who Buzzcock is etc. etc. And supposedly Green Day is in that category as well.
Look, children....when I was young....and my heart was an open book, I used to say live and let live....(excuse me, I digress into song lyrics...see what happens when you get my age)..
when I was young the Super Bowl halftime shows were NOT The Rolling Stones, The Who or Bruce Springsteen. They weren't gearing those shows for the young people of my age.
No, they were giving us Andy Williams, Up With People, Carol Channing, and George Burns. Hell we had to wait until 1988 to get someone as current as Chubby Checker.
So, quit your bitchin'....and get ready for Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood or something like that if you want current.
(or else you will get Elton John)
Yea, I know who they are too. I know who The Sex Pistols are, I know who The Ramones are, I know who Buzzcock is etc. etc. And supposedly Green Day is in that category as well.
Look, children....when I was young....and my heart was an open book, I used to say live and let live....(excuse me, I digress into song lyrics...see what happens when you get my age)..
when I was young the Super Bowl halftime shows were NOT The Rolling Stones, The Who or Bruce Springsteen. They weren't gearing those shows for the young people of my age.
No, they were giving us Andy Williams, Up With People, Carol Channing, and George Burns. Hell we had to wait until 1988 to get someone as current as Chubby Checker.
So, quit your bitchin'....and get ready for Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood or something like that if you want current.
(or else you will get Elton John)
Exactly Gip- and you have it nailed. Those who are promoting Greenday may possibly be letting their personal preference in music color what the guys who call the shots for SB entertainment percieve as "broad appeal", just as those who are calling for a Rapper. Usher is about as far as they're going to go in that direction. Agreed about Beyonce (good choice there) and Bowie getting a show before Greenday. Personally, I wouldn't mind Ozzie Ozbourne or Metallica, but that's not what the SB Halftime show is about- and the powers that be would be deathly afraid either would accidentally (or intentionally) drop a few F-bombs during the show. LOL- the up and comers will get their shot when they're about as old as Madonna.

And regarding Neil Young- for the young'uns. He's in the R&R HOF for a reason. My best friend is a certified Rustie and has about everything Neil's ever done- and it's a lot. Admittedly, some of his newer stuff isn't very good- I thought Greendale pretty much sucked, and he's slowed down some (had a minor stroke) but when Greenday can match his body of work- they may get a shot- though personally if they're going to put a punk (or semi-punk) act up there- my money would be on the Pretenders first. .....
-
Yeah, like Taco said. Rje best chance I have as far as rap goes is a Kanye / Jay-Z show, which I'm cool with
-
Far from 16 buddy ...
How can you call Green Day a MTV promoted 1 hit wonder? and then tell me I know shit about real music.
Plain and simple 1 hit wonders don't last 20 years .... And at this point Foo Fighters have been around almost 20 years as well. They aren't simply making money off Kurt Cobain ... they are putting out good records. If they sucked they would have went away like sweet 75 (Kris Novaselic's band)
You might not like Foo, Green Day, or Pearl Jam which is fine because I am not a huge fan of them either, but it is ignorant to call them "MTV" made bands when they are still putting out "hit" records and selling out arena's in a time where MTV doesn't even play music.
**edit** Green Day has won 5 grammys and sold 65 million records world wide (which is crazy when you consider the second half of there career was in the middle of the digital age where everyone and there mother pirates music) not bad for an MTV promoted one hit wonder
OK, if you just want to go by record sales, then Green Day might be waiting until the last half of this century to get a spot, because they would be waiting behind all of the following whom I list here. These are acts that are A. Still alive (as far as I know) B. Still performing...though some acts may need to reform C. Have not yet played a SB halftime show (so groups like the Stones, The Who, Stevie Wonder, Madonna etc. are left off. D. Have sold as many or more than Green Day:
300 million in sales:
Led Zeppelin (Page/Plant)
Elton John
Queen (Adam Lambert joined up with them, and if anyone could mimic Freddie Mercury it is him.)
ABBA
200 Million in sales:
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Bee Gees
150 Million in Sales:
Billy Joel
Aerosmith
Phil Collins/Genesis
Whitney Houston (did anthem, not halftime)
120 million:
The Eagles
Barbara Streisand
Garth Brooks
Bon Jovi
Chicago
Backstreet Boys
Dire Straits
David Bowie
100 million:
Metallica
Fleetwood Mac
Rod Stewart
Neil Diamond
Guns n Roses
Kenny Rogers
Julio Iglesias
George Michael
Bryan Adams
Lionel Richie
Cher
Tina Turner
Depeche Mode
Dolly Parton
75 million:
Eminem
Rihanna
Van Halen
Santana
Barry Manilow
Journey
Beyonce
Spice Girls
Eurythmics
65 million:
Kenny G
Bob Dylan
Meat Loaf
Shakira
Duran Duran
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard
Beach Boys
Village People
Lady Gaga
Pearl Jam
Alannis Morrisette
Ricky Martin
Jethro Tull
Given the high profile of some of these acts, and not even counting up and comers like Taylor Swift or Coldplay...more "pop oriented" acts, it will be a long time before Green Day gets to the SB halftime show.
OK, if you just want to go by record sales, then Green Day might be waiting until the last half of this century to get a spot, because they would be waiting behind all of the following whom I list here. These are acts that are A. Still alive (as far as I know) B. Still performing...though some acts may need to reform C. Have not yet played a SB halftime show (so groups like the Stones, The Who, Stevie Wonder, Madonna etc. are left off. D. Have sold as many or more than Green Day:
300 million in sales:
Led Zeppelin (Page/Plant)
Elton John
Queen (Adam Lambert joined up with them, and if anyone could mimic Freddie Mercury it is him.)
ABBA
200 Million in sales:
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Bee Gees
150 Million in Sales:
Billy Joel
Aerosmith
Phil Collins/Genesis
Whitney Houston (did anthem, not halftime)
120 million:
The Eagles
Barbara Streisand
Garth Brooks
Bon Jovi
Chicago
Backstreet Boys
Dire Straits
David Bowie
100 million:
Metallica
Fleetwood Mac
Rod Stewart
Neil Diamond
Guns n Roses
Kenny Rogers
Julio Iglesias
George Michael
Bryan Adams
Lionel Richie
Cher
Tina Turner
Depeche Mode
Dolly Parton
75 million:
Eminem
Rihanna
Van Halen
Santana
Barry Manilow
Journey
Beyonce
Spice Girls
Eurythmics
65 million:
Kenny G
Bob Dylan
Meat Loaf
Shakira
Duran Duran
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard
Beach Boys
Village People
Lady Gaga
Pearl Jam
Alannis Morrisette
Ricky Martin
Jethro Tull
Given the high profile of some of these acts, and not even counting up and comers like Taylor Swift or Coldplay...more "pop oriented" acts, it will be a long time before Green Day gets to the SB halftime show.
I wasn't basing my entire argument solely on record sales. Also record sales are tricky because aside from Dookie which came out in 1994 all there other big records sales are skewed due to how big pirating music became. Still though I do not see Neil Young on that list. I am also well aware that he was in CS&N and Buffalo Springfield and they are huge bands and Young is a very well established artist in his own right. I am not disputing that. I am disputing that he doesn't have the commercial appeal to play a super bowl halftime. He just doesn't do it. I get the whole appealing to older crowd who watches the super bowl ... but the truth is Neil Young wouldn't appeal to the "younger" crowd at all. I also never compared Green Day to people like Zepplin, Queen, Elton John, or Pink Floyd or those artists that sold a stupid amount of records. But those artist also have tons more records to spread those sales out to and they sold them when people had no choice but to buy records and not get them for free.
If you asked me to throw $100 on Beyonce or Green Day I would probably go Beyonce ... If I had the choice to throw a $100 on Green Day or Neil Young I put my money on Green Day and don't even think twice.
You seem really set in your ways. And don't really seem to be much of a fan of music so this argument is not even worth having with you. I will just leave this at you thinking Coldplay is "up and coming" and "bigger" then Green Day.
Also ... with the black keys ... there is a huge difference between having your songs used in commercials, TV, and movies and a record being turned into a broadway show.
-
Yea, I know who they are too. I know who The Sex Pistols are, I know who The Ramones are, I know who Buzzcock is etc. etc. And supposedly Green Day is in that category as well.
Look, children....when I was young....and my heart was an open book, I used to say live and let live....(excuse me, I digress into song lyrics...see what happens when you get my age)..
when I was young the Super Bowl halftime shows were NOT The Rolling Stones, The Who or Bruce Springsteen. They weren't gearing those shows for the young people of my age.
No, they were giving us Andy Williams, Up With People, Carol Channing, and George Burns. Hell we had to wait until 1988 to get someone as current as Chubby Checker.
So, quit your bitchin'....and get ready for Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood or something like that if you want current.
(or else you will get Elton John)
Exactly Gip- and you have it nailed. Those who are promoting Greenday may possibly be letting their personal preference in music color what the guys who call the shots for SB entertainment percieve as "broad appeal", just as those who are calling for a Rapper. Usher is about as far as they're going to go in that direction. Agreed about Beyonce (good choice there) and Bowie getting a show before Greenday. Personally, I wouldn't mind Ozzie Ozbourne or Metallica, but that's not what the SB Halftime show is about- and the powers that be would be deathly afraid either would accidentally (or intentionally) drop a few F-bombs during the show. LOL- the up and comers will get their shot when they're about as old as Madonna.

And regarding Neil Young- for the young'uns. He's in the R&R HOF for a reason. My best friend is a certified Rustie and has about everything Neil's ever done- and it's a lot. Admittedly, some of his newer stuff isn't very good- I thought Greendale pretty much sucked, and he's slowed down some (had a minor stroke) but when Greenday can match his body of work- they may get a shot- though personally if they're going to put a punk (or semi-punk) act up there- my money would be on the Pretenders first. .....
Exactly Gip- and you have it nailed. Those who are promoting Greenday may possibly be letting their personal preference in music color what the guys who call the shots for SB entertainment percieve as "broad appeal", just as those who are calling for a Rapper. Usher is about as far as they're going to go in that direction. Agreed about Beyonce (good choice there) and Bowie getting a show before Greenday. Personally, I wouldn't mind Ozzie Ozbourne or Metallica, but that's not what the SB Halftime show is about- and the powers that be would be deathly afraid either would accidentally (or intentionally) drop a few F-bombs during the show. LOL- the up and comers will get their shot when they're about as old as Madonna.

And regarding Neil Young- for the young'uns. He's in the R&R HOF for a reason. My best friend is a certified Rustie and has about everything Neil's ever done- and it's a lot. Admittedly, some of his newer stuff isn't very good- I thought Greendale pretty much sucked, and he's slowed down some (had a minor stroke) but when Greenday can match his body of work- they may get a shot- though personally if they're going to put a punk (or semi-punk) act up there- my money would be on the Pretenders first. .....
Like I said I am not a Green Day fan. So I am not putting prefence first. It is more just reconizing that they are and have been a huge band for 20 years now. They have a bunch of hit songs that are played on the radio constantly and regularly sell out arenas. Radio play is a big part of how I judge commercial appeal. And as far as that goes I hear a helluva lot more GD then Neil Young on the radio.
-
Eminem is the best-selling hip-hop artist of all-time[1] and the best-selling artist of the 2000s[2] with US album sales at over 32.2 million during the decade.[3] Eminem has sold over 41 million albums in the United States as a solo artist.[4] His worldwide albums sales stand at 86 million.[5] He has earned forty-two platinum certifications from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).[A]
Eminem‘s Recovery was the best-selling album of 2010, according to year-end figures released by Nielsen SoundScan. Recovery sold 3.42 million copies in the U.S. between Jan. 4, 2010 and Jan. 2, 2011, easily beating runners-up like Lady Antebellum’s Need You Now (3.09 million), Taylor Swift’s Speak Now (2.96 million), and Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche’s My World 2.0 (2.32 million).
Eminem has become the first artist to sell one million digital copies of an album in the U.S., with his 2010 Grammy Award-winning Recovery blowing past the million mark this week.
On Tuesday (December 8), Nielsen SoundScan — which tabulates the Billboard charts — released their lists of the best-selling artists, albums and songs of the '00s. And let's just say the past 10 years have been very good for Mr. Mathers.
Em sold more than 32.2 million albums in the 2000s, edging out the Beatles to claim the title of top-selling artist. The Beatles ended up with the decade's best-selling album (they sold nearly 11.5 million copies of 2000's greatest-hits comp 1,) besting the likes of 'NSYNC's No Strings Attached (11.1 million copies sold) and Norah Jones' Come Away With Me, (10.5 million). Eminem was the only artist to place two albums on the list; his The Marshall Mathers LP and Eminem Show records landed at #4 and 5, selling 10.2 million and 9.8 million copies, respectively.
-
I think Blink 182 has a better shot then Green Day. I'd still prefer Garth Brooks or George Strait. A Garth Brooks show consisting of Callin' Baton Rouge, Ain't Goin Down, Rodeo (personal pick), Thunder Rolls, and Friends in Low Places would be amazing. A George Strait show consisting of Blue Clear Sky, Heartland, Carrying Your Love With Me, Run (personal pick), and Carried Away or Check Yes or No would be pretty bad ass as well. The songs in bold are must haves. The thing is they both have countless other top of the charts songs they could substitute in. It won't be as exciting as a Beyonce or Black Eyed Peas but its pretty low risk (no middle fingers or wardrobe malfunctions) high reward (entertaining and recognizable). They would be solid choices in New Orleans (next year) or in Arizona (2015). As for New York/New Jersey I have a hard time not seeing them go with Jay-Z. After all he is the King of New York. Plus you know Kanye and Beyonce will be making appearances with him.
I think Blink 182 has a better shot then Green Day. I'd still prefer Garth Brooks or George Strait. A Garth Brooks show consisting of Callin' Baton Rouge, Ain't Goin Down, Rodeo (personal pick), Thunder Rolls, and Friends in Low Places would be amazing. A George Strait show consisting of Blue Clear Sky, Heartland, Carrying Your Love With Me, Run (personal pick), and Carried Away or Check Yes or No would be pretty bad ass as well. The songs in bold are must haves. The thing is they both have countless other top of the charts songs they could substitute in. It won't be as exciting as a Beyonce or Black Eyed Peas but its pretty low risk (no middle fingers or wardrobe malfunctions) high reward (entertaining and recognizable). They would be solid choices in New Orleans (next year) or in Arizona (2015). As for New York/New Jersey I have a hard time not seeing them go with Jay-Z. After all he is the King of New York. Plus you know Kanye and Beyonce will be making appearances with him.
That would make sense to put Beyonce and Jay-Z in the NYC game....but what about the weather? Just wondering what it would be like doing an outdoor concert in 10 degree, snowy weather...which is certainly a possibility for there.
-
Yea, I know who they are too. I know who The Sex Pistols are, I know who The Ramones are, I know who Buzzcock is etc. etc. And supposedly Green Day is in that category as well.
Look, children....when I was young....and my heart was an open book, I used to say live and let live....(excuse me, I digress into song lyrics...see what happens when you get my age)..
when I was young the Super Bowl halftime shows were NOT The Rolling Stones, The Who or Bruce Springsteen. They weren't gearing those shows for the young people of my age.
No, they were giving us Andy Williams, Up With People, Carol Channing, and George Burns. Hell we had to wait until 1988 to get someone as current as Chubby Checker.
So, quit your bitchin'....and get ready for Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood or something like that if you want current.
(or else you will get Elton John)
Exactly Gip- and you have it nailed. Those who are promoting Greenday may possibly be letting their personal preference in music color what the guys who call the shots for SB entertainment percieve as "broad appeal", just as those who are calling for a Rapper. Usher is about as far as they're going to go in that direction. Agreed about Beyonce (good choice there) and Bowie getting a show before Greenday. Personally, I wouldn't mind Ozzie Ozbourne or Metallica, but that's not what the SB Halftime show is about- and the powers that be would be deathly afraid either would accidentally (or intentionally) drop a few F-bombs during the show. LOL- the up and comers will get their shot when they're about as old as Madonna.

And regarding Neil Young- for the young'uns. He's in the R&R HOF for a reason. My best friend is a certified Rustie and has about everything Neil's ever done- and it's a lot. Admittedly, some of his newer stuff isn't very good- I thought Greendale pretty much sucked, and he's slowed down some (had a minor stroke) but when Greenday can match his body of work- they may get a shot- though personally if they're going to put a punk (or semi-punk) act up there- my money would be on the Pretenders first. .....
Exactly Gip- and you have it nailed. Those who are promoting Greenday may possibly be letting their personal preference in music color what the guys who call the shots for SB entertainment percieve as "broad appeal", just as those who are calling for a Rapper. Usher is about as far as they're going to go in that direction. Agreed about Beyonce (good choice there) and Bowie getting a show before Greenday. Personally, I wouldn't mind Ozzie Ozbourne or Metallica, but that's not what the SB Halftime show is about- and the powers that be would be deathly afraid either would accidentally (or intentionally) drop a few F-bombs during the show. LOL- the up and comers will get their shot when they're about as old as Madonna.

And regarding Neil Young- for the young'uns. He's in the R&R HOF for a reason. My best friend is a certified Rustie and has about everything Neil's ever done- and it's a lot. Admittedly, some of his newer stuff isn't very good- I thought Greendale pretty much sucked, and he's slowed down some (had a minor stroke) but when Greenday can match his body of work- they may get a shot- though personally if they're going to put a punk (or semi-punk) act up there- my money would be on the Pretenders first. .....
Again, its you guys turning it into personal preference. All I'm saying is green day is more likely to do a halftime show than many of gippers picks. Not that green day is better. Also the rock and roll hall of fame is a lot of bullshit.
-
Yea, I know who they are too. I know who The Sex Pistols are, I know who The Ramones are, I know who Buzzcock is etc. etc. And supposedly Green Day is in that category as well.
Look, children....when I was young....and my heart was an open book, I used to say live and let live....(excuse me, I digress into song lyrics...see what happens when you get my age)..
when I was young the Super Bowl halftime shows were NOT The Rolling Stones, The Who or Bruce Springsteen. They weren't gearing those shows for the young people of my age.
No, they were giving us Andy Williams, Up With People, Carol Channing, and George Burns. Hell we had to wait until 1988 to get someone as current as Chubby Checker.
So, quit your bitchin'....and get ready for Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood or something like that if you want current.
(or else you will get Elton John)
Exactly Gip- and you have it nailed. Those who are promoting Greenday may possibly be letting their personal preference in music color what the guys who call the shots for SB entertainment percieve as "broad appeal", just as those who are calling for a Rapper. Usher is about as far as they're going to go in that direction. Agreed about Beyonce (good choice there) and Bowie getting a show before Greenday. Personally, I wouldn't mind Ozzie Ozbourne or Metallica, but that's not what the SB Halftime show is about- and the powers that be would be deathly afraid either would accidentally (or intentionally) drop a few F-bombs during the show. LOL- the up and comers will get their shot when they're about as old as Madonna.

And regarding Neil Young- for the young'uns. He's in the R&R HOF for a reason. My best friend is a certified Rustie and has about everything Neil's ever done- and it's a lot. Admittedly, some of his newer stuff isn't very good- I thought Greendale pretty much sucked, and he's slowed down some (had a minor stroke) but when Greenday can match his body of work- they may get a shot- though personally if they're going to put a punk (or semi-punk) act up there- my money would be on the Pretenders first. .....
Exactly Gip- and you have it nailed. Those who are promoting Greenday may possibly be letting their personal preference in music color what the guys who call the shots for SB entertainment percieve as "broad appeal", just as those who are calling for a Rapper. Usher is about as far as they're going to go in that direction. Agreed about Beyonce (good choice there) and Bowie getting a show before Greenday. Personally, I wouldn't mind Ozzie Ozbourne or Metallica, but that's not what the SB Halftime show is about- and the powers that be would be deathly afraid either would accidentally (or intentionally) drop a few F-bombs during the show. LOL- the up and comers will get their shot when they're about as old as Madonna.

And regarding Neil Young- for the young'uns. He's in the R&R HOF for a reason. My best friend is a certified Rustie and has about everything Neil's ever done- and it's a lot. Admittedly, some of his newer stuff isn't very good- I thought Greendale pretty much sucked, and he's slowed down some (had a minor stroke) but when Greenday can match his body of work- they may get a shot- though personally if they're going to put a punk (or semi-punk) act up there- my money would be on the Pretenders first. .....
I don't really consider The Pretenders punk...or semi-punk at all. I think they are pretty much a straight pop/rock act. But, there you go....put the Pretenders on with the Black Keys and you can have an all Akron (sorta) act. Hell, bring Devo along.(shit...you know, that doesn't sound all that bad, does it?)
-
Black keys and pretenders together don't have the star power green day has alone. Again, I like the black keys and pretenders ok, but its just a fact.
-
OK, if you just want to go by record sales, then Green Day might be waiting until the last half of this century to get a spot, because they would be waiting behind all of the following whom I list here. These are acts that are A. Still alive (as far as I know) B. Still performing...though some acts may need to reform C. Have not yet played a SB halftime show (so groups like the Stones, The Who, Stevie Wonder, Madonna etc. are left off. D. Have sold as many or more than Green Day:
300 million in sales:
Led Zeppelin (Page/Plant)
Elton John
Queen (Adam Lambert joined up with them, and if anyone could mimic Freddie Mercury it is him.)
ABBA
200 Million in sales:
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Bee Gees
150 Million in Sales:
Billy Joel
Aerosmith
Phil Collins/Genesis
Whitney Houston (did anthem, not halftime)
120 million:
The Eagles
Barbara Streisand
Garth Brooks
Bon Jovi
Chicago
Backstreet Boys
Dire Straits
David Bowie
100 million:
Metallica
Fleetwood Mac
Rod Stewart
Neil Diamond
Guns n Roses
Kenny Rogers
Julio Iglesias
George Michael
Bryan Adams
Lionel Richie
Cher
Tina Turner
Depeche Mode
Dolly Parton
75 million:
Eminem
Rihanna
Van Halen
Santana
Barry Manilow
Journey
Beyonce
Spice Girls
Eurythmics
65 million:
Kenny G
Bob Dylan
Meat Loaf
Shakira
Duran Duran
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard
Beach Boys
Village People
Lady Gaga
Pearl Jam
Alannis Morrisette
Ricky Martin
Jethro Tull
Given the high profile of some of these acts, and not even counting up and comers like Taylor Swift or Coldplay...more "pop oriented" acts, it will be a long time before Green Day gets to the SB halftime show.
I wasn't basing my entire argument solely on record sales. Also record sales are tricky because aside from Dookie which came out in 1994 all there other big records sales are skewed due to how big pirating music became. Still though I do not see Neil Young on that list. I am also well aware that he was in CS&N and Buffalo Springfield and they are huge bands and Young is a very well established artist in his own right. I am not disputing that. I am disputing that he doesn't have the commercial appeal to play a super bowl halftime. He just doesn't do it. I get the whole appealing to older crowd who watches the super bowl ... but the truth is Neil Young wouldn't appeal to the "younger" crowd at all. I also never compared Green Day to people like Zepplin, Queen, Elton John, or Pink Floyd or those artists that sold a stupid amount of records. But those artist also have tons more records to spread those sales out to and they sold them when people had no choice but to buy records and not get them for free.
If you asked me to throw $100 on Beyonce or Green Day I would probably go Beyonce ... If I had the choice to throw a $100 on Green Day or Neil Young I put my money on Green Day and don't even think twice.
You seem really set in your ways. And don't really seem to be much of a fan of music so this argument is not even worth having with you. I will just leave this at you thinking Coldplay is "up and coming" and "bigger" then Green Day.
Also ... with the black keys ... there is a huge difference between having your songs used in commercials, TV, and movies and a record being turned into a broadway show.
I wasn't basing my entire argument solely on record sales. Also record sales are tricky because aside from Dookie which came out in 1994 all there other big records sales are skewed due to how big pirating music became. Still though I do not see Neil Young on that list. I am also well aware that he was in CS&N and Buffalo Springfield and they are huge bands and Young is a very well established artist in his own right. I am not disputing that. I am disputing that he doesn't have the commercial appeal to play a super bowl halftime. He just doesn't do it. I get the whole appealing to older crowd who watches the super bowl ... but the truth is Neil Young wouldn't appeal to the "younger" crowd at all.
I don't disagree with you there....though FYI, he has been called The Godfather of Grunge for a reason. His early persona as a beyond music/political commentator (he wrote and sang Ohio...about the Kent State shootings, after all) and his later persona as grungy isn't the sort of mainstream thing the SB is looking for.
I also never compared Green Day to people like Zepplin, Queen, Elton John, or Pink Floyd or those artists that sold a stupid amount of records. But those artist also have tons more records to spread those sales out to and they sold them when people had no choice but to buy records and not get them for free.
If you asked me to throw $100 on Beyonce or Green Day I would probably go Beyonce ... If I had the choice to throw a $100 on Green Day or Neil Young I put my money on Green Day and don't even think twice.
You seem really set in your ways. And don't really seem to be much of a fan of music so this argument is not even worth having with you. I will just leave this at you thinking Coldplay is "up and coming" and "bigger" then Green Day.
I think Coldplay would be bigger than Green Day in the area that is the subject of this discussion: mass appeal. I think it is YOU that are set in your way....and that YOU don't seem to be much of a fan of music...as a whole. You are focused on your particular tastes in music...not on the Big Picture that we are talking about here. And I think Green Day's chances are about as good as Neil Youngs of making the SB halftime show: i.e. none.
Also ... with the black keys ... there is a huge difference between having your songs used in commercials, TV, and movies and a record being turned into a broadway show.
I don't know about that. Sure, not many bands have that happen. The Who has done all that. Tommy, Quadrophenia (which Green Day's play essentially mimics...disaffected yutes). CSI openings.
Maybe someone merely needs to write a script based on Rubber Factory.
-
Black keys and pretenders together don't have the star power green day has alone. Again, I like the black keys and pretenders ok, but its just a fact.
Black keys and pretenders together don't have the star power green day has alone. Again, I like the black keys and pretenders ok, but its just a fact.
Now you are getting effing stupid. Chrissy Hynde is probably one of the Top 5 most iconic women in rock history.
You are now so tunnel visioned into your own personal taste in music that this is indeed getting absurd.
-
Green Day isn't heavy metal.. they're an alternative band with heavy punkishness.
Come on... Niel Young? He's not high profile.
Really? I would wager that 10 times more people know Neil Young's music than know Green Day's music. What rock have you been living under?
Really? I would wager that 10 times more people know Neil Young's music than know Green Day's music. What rock have you been living under?
I didn't say Green Day would be good for the Super Bowl haltime show, read again. I'm a fan of Neil Young, Cortez the Killer being my favorite. He wouldn't be good for the Super Bowl halftime either.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login