Half Time Show.
-
OK, if you just want to go by record sales, then Green Day might be waiting until the last half of this century to get a spot, because they would be waiting behind all of the following whom I list here. These are acts that are A. Still alive (as far as I know) B. Still performing...though some acts may need to reform C. Have not yet played a SB halftime show (so groups like the Stones, The Who, Stevie Wonder, Madonna etc. are left off. D. Have sold as many or more than Green Day:
300 million in sales:
Led Zeppelin (Page/Plant)
Elton John
Queen (Adam Lambert joined up with them, and if anyone could mimic Freddie Mercury it is him.)
ABBA
200 Million in sales:
Mariah Carey
Celine Dion
Pink Floyd
AC/DC
Bee Gees
150 Million in Sales:
Billy Joel
Aerosmith
Phil Collins/Genesis
Whitney Houston (did anthem, not halftime)
120 million:
The Eagles
Barbara Streisand
Garth Brooks
Bon Jovi
Chicago
Backstreet Boys
Dire Straits
David Bowie
100 million:
Metallica
Fleetwood Mac
Rod Stewart
Neil Diamond
Guns n Roses
Kenny Rogers
Julio Iglesias
George Michael
Bryan Adams
Lionel Richie
Cher
Tina Turner
Depeche Mode
Dolly Parton
75 million:
Eminem
Rihanna
Van Halen
Santana
Barry Manilow
Journey
Beyonce
Spice Girls
Eurythmics
65 million:
Kenny G
Bob Dylan
Meat Loaf
Shakira
Duran Duran
Iron Maiden
Def Leppard
Beach Boys
Village People
Lady Gaga
Pearl Jam
Alannis Morrisette
Ricky Martin
Jethro Tull
Given the high profile of some of these acts, and not even counting up and comers like Taylor Swift or Coldplay...more "pop oriented" acts, it will be a long time before Green Day gets to the SB halftime show.
I wasn't basing my entire argument solely on record sales. Also record sales are tricky because aside from Dookie which came out in 1994 all there other big records sales are skewed due to how big pirating music became. Still though I do not see Neil Young on that list. I am also well aware that he was in CS&N and Buffalo Springfield and they are huge bands and Young is a very well established artist in his own right. I am not disputing that. I am disputing that he doesn't have the commercial appeal to play a super bowl halftime. He just doesn't do it. I get the whole appealing to older crowd who watches the super bowl ... but the truth is Neil Young wouldn't appeal to the "younger" crowd at all. I also never compared Green Day to people like Zepplin, Queen, Elton John, or Pink Floyd or those artists that sold a stupid amount of records. But those artist also have tons more records to spread those sales out to and they sold them when people had no choice but to buy records and not get them for free.
If you asked me to throw $100 on Beyonce or Green Day I would probably go Beyonce ... If I had the choice to throw a $100 on Green Day or Neil Young I put my money on Green Day and don't even think twice.
You seem really set in your ways. And don't really seem to be much of a fan of music so this argument is not even worth having with you. I will just leave this at you thinking Coldplay is "up and coming" and "bigger" then Green Day.
Also ... with the black keys ... there is a huge difference between having your songs used in commercials, TV, and movies and a record being turned into a broadway show.
I wasn't basing my entire argument solely on record sales. Also record sales are tricky because aside from Dookie which came out in 1994 all there other big records sales are skewed due to how big pirating music became. Still though I do not see Neil Young on that list. I am also well aware that he was in CS&N and Buffalo Springfield and they are huge bands and Young is a very well established artist in his own right. I am not disputing that. I am disputing that he doesn't have the commercial appeal to play a super bowl halftime. He just doesn't do it. I get the whole appealing to older crowd who watches the super bowl ... but the truth is Neil Young wouldn't appeal to the "younger" crowd at all.
I don't disagree with you there....though FYI, he has been called The Godfather of Grunge for a reason. His early persona as a beyond music/political commentator (he wrote and sang Ohio...about the Kent State shootings, after all) and his later persona as grungy isn't the sort of mainstream thing the SB is looking for.
I also never compared Green Day to people like Zepplin, Queen, Elton John, or Pink Floyd or those artists that sold a stupid amount of records. But those artist also have tons more records to spread those sales out to and they sold them when people had no choice but to buy records and not get them for free.
If you asked me to throw $100 on Beyonce or Green Day I would probably go Beyonce ... If I had the choice to throw a $100 on Green Day or Neil Young I put my money on Green Day and don't even think twice.
You seem really set in your ways. And don't really seem to be much of a fan of music so this argument is not even worth having with you. I will just leave this at you thinking Coldplay is "up and coming" and "bigger" then Green Day.
I think Coldplay would be bigger than Green Day in the area that is the subject of this discussion: mass appeal. I think it is YOU that are set in your way....and that YOU don't seem to be much of a fan of music...as a whole. You are focused on your particular tastes in music...not on the Big Picture that we are talking about here. And I think Green Day's chances are about as good as Neil Youngs of making the SB halftime show: i.e. none.
Also ... with the black keys ... there is a huge difference between having your songs used in commercials, TV, and movies and a record being turned into a broadway show.
I don't know about that. Sure, not many bands have that happen. The Who has done all that. Tommy, Quadrophenia (which Green Day's play essentially mimics...disaffected yutes). CSI openings.
Maybe someone merely needs to write a script based on Rubber Factory.
-
Black keys and pretenders together don't have the star power green day has alone. Again, I like the black keys and pretenders ok, but its just a fact.
Black keys and pretenders together don't have the star power green day has alone. Again, I like the black keys and pretenders ok, but its just a fact.
Now you are getting effing stupid. Chrissy Hynde is probably one of the Top 5 most iconic women in rock history.
You are now so tunnel visioned into your own personal taste in music that this is indeed getting absurd.
-
Green Day isn't heavy metal.. they're an alternative band with heavy punkishness.
Come on... Niel Young? He's not high profile.
Really? I would wager that 10 times more people know Neil Young's music than know Green Day's music. What rock have you been living under?
Really? I would wager that 10 times more people know Neil Young's music than know Green Day's music. What rock have you been living under?
I didn't say Green Day would be good for the Super Bowl haltime show, read again. I'm a fan of Neil Young, Cortez the Killer being my favorite. He wouldn't be good for the Super Bowl halftime either.
-
You keep mentioning coldplay. Coldplay is not in green days league.
Yes. Coldplay is more well known and probably with bigger hits.
Give a little thanks to Gwyneth.
Yes. Coldplay is more well known and probably with bigger hits.
Give a little thanks to Gwyneth.
You know how I know you're gay? You like Coldplay.
-
Well, they aren't "top hat" to you... and you are extrapolating that to all of America, which isn't true. I don't like Green Day that much, not my style of music (only "punk" I've ever listened to was my very first CD, Blink 182) but I know who they are.
Every time they try to gear a show to us young people though something goes wrong... so that's not a good sign.
Well, they aren't "top hat" to you... and you are extrapolating that to all of America, which isn't true. I don't like Green Day that much, not my style of music (only "punk" I've ever listened to was my very first CD, Blink 182) but I know who they are.
Every time they try to gear a show to us young people though something goes wrong... so that's not a good sign.
whoa... Blink 182? Punk? huh?
-
Eminem is the best-selling hip-hop artist of all-time[1] and the best-selling artist of the 2000s[2] with US album sales at over 32.2 million during the decade.[3] Eminem has sold over 41 million albums in the United States as a solo artist.[4] His worldwide albums sales stand at 86 million.[5] He has earned forty-two platinum certifications from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).[A]
Eminem‘s Recovery was the best-selling album of 2010, according to year-end figures released by Nielsen SoundScan. Recovery sold 3.42 million copies in the U.S. between Jan. 4, 2010 and Jan. 2, 2011, easily beating runners-up like Lady Antebellum’s Need You Now (3.09 million), Taylor Swift’s Speak Now (2.96 million), and Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche’s My World 2.0 (2.32 million).
Eminem has become the first artist to sell one million digital copies of an album in the U.S., with his 2010 Grammy Award-winning Recovery blowing past the million mark this week.
On Tuesday (December 8), Nielsen SoundScan — which tabulates the Billboard charts — released their lists of the best-selling artists, albums and songs of the '00s. And let's just say the past 10 years have been very good for Mr. Mathers.
Em sold more than 32.2 million albums in the 2000s, edging out the Beatles to claim the title of top-selling artist. The Beatles ended up with the decade's best-selling album (they sold nearly 11.5 million copies of 2000's greatest-hits comp 1,) besting the likes of 'NSYNC's No Strings Attached (11.1 million copies sold) and Norah Jones' Come Away With Me, (10.5 million). Eminem was the only artist to place two albums on the list; his The Marshall Mathers LP and Eminem Show records landed at #4 and 5, selling 10.2 million and 9.8 million copies, respectively.
Hip hop sucks.
-
Look, I am not denying that Green Day has their place in their genre and in rock history. Here is the latest list of VH1s Top 100 Artists of all time. Just don't tell me that they are oh so much more popular or have as more cache as some of the other people we are talking about.
100 Alicia Keys
99 Hall & Oates
98 Depeche Mode
97 Pretenders
96 Journey
95 OutKast
94 Mariah Carey
93 Pearl Jam
92 LL Cool J
91 Green Day
90 Elvis Costello
89 Beastie Boys
88 Bee Gees
87 George Michael
86 N.W.A.
85 The Band
84 Curtis Mayfield
83 Earth, Wind and Fire
82 Steely Dan
81 ABBA
80 Mary J. Blige
79 Eminem
78 Judas Priest
77 Lynyrd Skynyrd
76 Run-D.M.C.
75 Rush
74 The Cure
73 Van Morrison
72 Janis Joplin
71 R.E.M.
70 Def Leppard
69 Tupac Shakur
68 Otis Redding
67 Coldplay
66 Justin Timberlake
65 The Doors
64 Talking Heads
63 Notorious B.I.G.
62 Genesis
61 Cream
60 Whitney Houston
59 Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
58 Cheap Trick
57 Iggy & The Stooges
56 KISS
55 Peter Gabriel
54 Public Enemy
53 Little Richard
52 Beyoncé
51 Billy Joel
50 Sade
49 Parliament-Funkadelic
48 Rage Against The Machine
47 Jay-Z
46 Ramones
45 Al Green
44 Joni Mitchell
43 Ray Charles
42 Metallica
41 Van Halen
40 The Police
39 The Kinks
38 Sly & The Family Stone
37 Fleetwood Mac
36 Paul McCartney
35 Johnny Cash
34 Tina Turner
33 Guns N’ Roses
32 Black Sabbath
31 John Lennon
30 Aerosmith
29 Radiohead
28 Elton John
27 Aretha Franklin
26 Neil Young
25 Chuck Berry
24 The Velvet Underground
23 AC/DC
22 The Clash
21 Bruce Springsteen
20 Marvin Gaye
19 U2
18 Pink Floyd
17 Queen
16 Madonna
15 The Beach Boys
14 Nirvana
13 The Who
12 David Bowie
11 Bob Marley
10 Stevie Wonder
09 James Brown
08 Elvis Presley
07 Prince
06 Jimi Hendrix
05 Bob Dylan
04 Rolling Stones
03 Led Zeppelin
02 Michael Jackson
01 The Beatles
And I just did an informal survey of people when I ran next door to McDonald's for lunch.
Of 5 who ranged in age from their 20s to their 50s 4 heard of the Pretenders, 1 had not. 2 heard of Green Day, 3 had not. 3 of the people knew Chrissie Hynde. Not one person could name any members of Green Day.
For what that's worth.
|
-
Johnny Cash... too bad he's dead. that would have been an interesting half time show.
-
I caught you knocking on my cellar door, I love you baby can I have some more....
It's so noisy at the fair, but all your friends are there....
Man I haven't been listening to Neil Young much lately, but this topic has got me wanting to get back into his music.
-
I have to admit that this discussion has been interesting and entertaining... possibly more entertaining than Madonna's half-time show. I'm with Gipper on this one even though I'm older than he is AND I know and like Green Day.
The Super Bowl halftime show isn't really about music. It's about spectacle and making the people who paid an obscene amount for their tickets think they've gotten their money's worth.
I like Madonna and think she's a helluva gal for 53 years old. I think she's a helluva gal for any age. She put on a glitzy show and even threw in marching bands and cheerleaders. Just the ticket for football game entertainment. Since I have yet to hear from anyone who was actually AT the game, I'm assuming we all watched from the comfort of our chairs on televisions of varying quality and didn't pay more than our basic cable/satellite bills for the privilege. So what's the beef? Didn't have a good enough reason to avoid conversation with your party guests? Didn't have to hold it instead of making a trip to the facilities? Had to listen to a girl singer while you loped into the kitchen to retrieve a beverage? How silly.
I'm almost rooting for a Green Day halftime show just to hear the aftermath.
-
I caught you knocking on my cellar door, I love you baby can I have some more....
It's so noisy at the fair, but all your friends are there....
Man I haven't been listening to Neil Young much lately, but this topic has got me wanting to get back into his music.
I caught you knocking on my cellar door, I love you baby can I have some more....
It's so noisy at the fair, but all your friends are there....
Man I haven't been listening to Neil Young much lately, but this topic has got me wanting to get back into his music.
Where's a "like" button when you need one?
-
Well, they aren't "top hat" to you... and you are extrapolating that to all of America, which isn't true. I don't like Green Day that much, not my style of music (only "punk" I've ever listened to was my very first CD, Blink 182) but I know who they are.
Every time they try to gear a show to us young people though something goes wrong... so that's not a good sign.
whoa... Blink 182? Punk? huh?
whoa... Blink 182? Punk? huh?
Exactly
-
Thanks. The Needle and the Damage Done, to me, is haunting. Sugar Mountain is just a good song.
-
-
-
Yes. Coldplay is more well known and probably with bigger hits.
Give a little thanks to Gwyneth.
You know how I know you're gay? You like Coldplay.
You know how I know you're gay? You like Coldplay.
I wouldn't know anything about that. Why would liking Coldplay make me "gay"?
Like I said, yes, I am somewhat out of touch with current music for the most part. But I know if I like something if I hear it. And I have heard a couple or 3 songs by Coldplay that were catchy. I am by no means a devotee.
I am a devotee of Queen. Their lead singer was gay. Does that make me gay?
I like Elton John. He is gay. Does that make me gay?
I like Adam Lambert. He is gay. Does that make me gay?
-
Just a quote from the "film" the 40 Year Old Virgin
-
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login