Skip to content

Mike Wallace?

The Browns Board
138 34 6.1k
  • @gafreleets said:

    while the people saying they wouldn't take him because he'd be a former Steeler are just morons. But so are the guys saying they'd give up the 4th overall pick to the Steelers for him.

    Tell you what, if the browns organization was STUPID enough to pull the trigger on this i'd pack Wallace's bags for him and drive him into down town cleveland myself to drop him gift wrapped at your stadium. LAUGHING MY ASS OFF the whole way.

    god do i pray this would happen.

    You people value draft picks way too much. It isn't as if Wallace is old, he hasn't even entered his prime yet. I'd give a 4th in a heart beat.

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    You people value draft picks way too much. It isn't as if Wallace is old, he hasn't even entered his prime yet. I'd give a 4th in a heart beat.

    no, you nimrod, not a 4th round pick........your first round pick, the 4th overall.

    if we tender him the highest offer your team has to give us a 1st round pick for him.

  • @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Top 5 QB picks in the last 15 years ......

    Worth the pick (Studs)

    Newton

    Stafford

    E.Manning

    Rivers

    P. Manning

    Solid but not great (Solid starters)

    Ryan

    Palmer

    Vick

    McNabb

    Maybe Bradford

    Bad picks but not busts (still hanging around)

    Sanchez

    Alex Smith

    Leftwich

    Busts

    Russell

    Young

    Carr

    Harrington

    Couch

    A.Smith

    Leaf

    So really just 25% were worth a top 5 pick. Yeah, I would be okay with trading away a 1 in 4 shot for a sure-fire stud wr. Hopefully we won't have to but it wouldn't be the bad move that some of you are making it out to be.

    YOu listed Smith twice, plus, I don't think Couch was a bust. People don't understand the difficulty he was put under, and the fact that he took the team from being something only on paper to the playoffs. Certainly Bradford cannot be said to be better than Couch at this point....though obviously it is still early in Bradford's career. The same is true for Newton. Though he looks like a stud, it is too early. You put Vince Young down as a bust...yet early on he looked every bit as good if not better than Newton. VY after all has a 30-17 record as a starting QB. Not too shabby if you think.

    @the-gipper said:

    YOu listed Smith twice, plus, I don't think Couch was a bust. People don't understand the difficulty he was put under, and the fact that he took the team from being something only on paper to the playoffs. Certainly Bradford cannot be said to be better than Couch at this point....though obviously it is still early in Bradford's career. The same is true for Newton. Though he looks like a stud, it is too early. You put Vince Young down as a bust...yet early on he looked every bit as good if not better than Newton. VY after all has a 30-17 record as a starting QB. Not too shabby if you think.

    Akili<>Alex

    Couch defines bust.

    I'm going to guess that you are just being sarcastic on the Newton and Young comparison. Newton had 35 TDs this year Young has 58 in his six year career.

  • @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    You people value draft picks way too much. It isn't as if Wallace is old, he hasn't even entered his prime yet. I'd give a 4th in a heart beat.

    no, you nimrod, not a 4th round pick........your first round pick, the 4th overall.

    if we tender him the highest offer your team has to give us a 1st round pick for him.

    @gafreleets said:

    no, you nimrod, not a 4th round pick........your first round pick, the 4th overall.

    if we tender him the highest offer your team has to give us a 1st round pick for him.

    No shit, Sherlock. Maybe I should have put the 4th instead of a 4th but if you have been following along you would know that I am well aware of what we would be giving up. I'd take a player of Wallace's caliber in a heartbeat over an unknown commodity.

  • @gafreleets said:

    no, you nimrod, not a 4th round pick........your first round pick, the 4th overall.

    if we tender him the highest offer your team has to give us a 1st round pick for him.

    No shit, Sherlock. Maybe I should have put the 4th instead of a 4th but if you have been following along you would know that I am well aware of what we would be giving up. I'd take a player of Wallace's caliber in a heartbeat over an unknown commodity.

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    No shit, Sherlock. Maybe I should have put the 4th instead of a 4th but if you have been following along you would know that I am well aware of what we would be giving up. I'd take a player of Wallace's caliber in a heartbeat over an unknown commodity.

    You're stupid then. Randy Moss only garnered a 4th rd pick, you want to give a 1st for Wallace, you are crazy. Absolute highest I would even consider is a 3rd pick and even then I would be hesitant.

  • wow...only browns fans would think a rookie WR is worth the #4 while simultaneously thinking a stud #1 WR with 3 years experience is not.

    some of you muthafuckas are downright we-fuckin-ta-did.

    "randy moss only got a 4th rounder!" so fucking what...how old was he again? you really think its an apples to apples comparison?

    see....dumb muthafuckas....

  • @gafreleets said:

    while the people saying they wouldn't take him because he'd be a former Steeler are just morons. But so are the guys saying they'd give up the 4th overall pick to the Steelers for him.

    Tell you what, if the browns organization was STUPID enough to pull the trigger on this i'd pack Wallace's bags for him and drive him into down town cleveland myself to drop him gift wrapped at your stadium. LAUGHING MY ASS OFF the whole way.

    god do i pray this would happen.

    You people value draft picks way too much. It isn't as if Wallace is old, he hasn't even entered his prime yet. I'd give a 4th in a heart beat.

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    You people value draft picks way too much. It isn't as if Wallace is old, he hasn't even entered his prime yet. I'd give a 4th in a heart beat.

    Moss' camp claim he can still run a sub 4.4...Take it for what it's worth.

  • @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    No shit, Sherlock. Maybe I should have put the 4th instead of a 4th but if you have been following along you would know that I am well aware of what we would be giving up. I'd take a player of Wallace's caliber in a heartbeat over an unknown commodity.

    You're stupid then. Randy Moss only garnered a 4th rd pick, you want to give a 1st for Wallace, you are crazy. Absolute highest I would even consider is a 3rd pick and even then I would be hesitant.

    @runyon27 said:

    You're stupid then. Randy Moss only garnered a 4th rd pick, you want to give a 1st for Wallace, you are crazy. Absolute highest I would even consider is a 3rd pick and even then I would be hesitant.

    Once again, you overvalue draft picks. Using an old broken down unmotivated Moss that had worn out his welcome as a measuring tool of what a WR should be worth isn't really helping your argument. Truth is you don't get a chance at picking up a WR that a club is wanting to keep very often. Most times when you see a trade like Moss' happen it is a buyer's market because the player is no longer wanted on the team, hence the lower value. It really isn't rocket science. That being said, I understand not wanting to give the pick. I disagree with you completely and would rather have a young proven stud WR over an unproven rookie who has a ceiling that isn't much higher than what you are getting but has a floor that is bottomless. If that makes me stupid then I guess I can live with that.

  • @the-gipper said:

    YOu listed Smith twice, plus, I don't think Couch was a bust. People don't understand the difficulty he was put under, and the fact that he took the team from being something only on paper to the playoffs. Certainly Bradford cannot be said to be better than Couch at this point....though obviously it is still early in Bradford's career. The same is true for Newton. Though he looks like a stud, it is too early. You put Vince Young down as a bust...yet early on he looked every bit as good if not better than Newton. VY after all has a 30-17 record as a starting QB. Not too shabby if you think.

    Akili<>Alex

    Couch defines bust.

    I'm going to guess that you are just being sarcastic on the Newton and Young comparison. Newton had 35 TDs this year Young has 58 in his six year career.

    @pizzadeliveryguy said:

    Akili<>Alex

    Couch defines bust.

    Bull. That comment tells me that you must not have been alive when that whole thing went down. The Browns went from a paper team to the playoffs in 4 years with Couch at the helm.

    Compared to other Browns QB taken since like Charlie Frye and Brady Quinn, Couch is a Hall of Famer

    I'm going to guess that you are just being sarcastic on the Newton and Young comparison. Newton had 35 TDs this year Young has 58 in his six year career.

    I am not being sarcastic at all. I am looking at their teams winning pct.

    So far, Newton is looking good...yes, better than VY....but it is early. VY was a house afire his first year or two as well. Newton will probably end up doing better than VY, whose real problems were his emotional breakdowns, not his physical play.

  • Eh, too much Steeler stink on him for me to agree to him. Matter of fact I wouldn't touch ANY of those "tainted" players... Just rubs me the wrong way, YUUUCK!

    @poeticg said:

    Eh, too much Steeler stink on him for me to agree to him. Matter of fact I wouldn't touch ANY of those "tainted" players... Just rubs me the wrong way, YUUUCK!

    just curious: how did you feel about Orpheus Roye and his time with the Browns? were you able to accept his production? did you feel deep down he wasn't giving it his all?

    do you harbor animosity against Pinkston for having his roots in the Pgh area and growing up a Steeler fan?

    fwiw, Cribbs is from the DC area and he never reps that set that i ever hear. either he's ultra careful w his regional politics or he genuinely chooses Northern Ohio over his hometown area. >>

    which leads me to my question. (not saying Cribbs feels this way about DC but....) what if Wallace feels completely grimy being there and he wants out?? he couldn't help that they drafted him and his ticket out is to outplay his draft position and current contract -- which he has clearly done -- to attract the attention of the rest of the league in order to try to force Pgh's hand.

    admittedly, i have prejudices against Steeler players as well, but imo this one is worth giving the benefit of the doubt until we know he bleeds black/yellow.

    the 2012 Browns team needs a guy like this. he's a proven, quality young talent. according to LaCanfora Pittsburgh is in "cap hell". i hope Heckert exploits this and tries hard to get him.

  • I'll take Antonio Brown if they can't keep them both. They still have cap issues.

  • Incarcerated Bob @incarceratedbob

    **UPDATED NFL RUMORS**Source: Mike Wallace suitors are lining up ( Via trade OR Poison Pill Contract Offer ) Browns / Bengals / Rams / SF

    take it for what its worth

  • last i checked, with 2 cuts and 3 contract restructures, the steelers have 10 mil to trim to get under the cap. ~5mil for rookies, and an additional ~9 mil for wallace....then the remaining signings to fill the roster. so theyre still looking at trimming 25 mil from the cap.....gonna be pretty difficult unless half the team restructures, which will continue to roll the snowball down the hill to next year.

    woodleys cap hit next year (2013) is 13.1 million....

    keep prorating all those bonuses and creating dead money when you are forced to cut.

    i think this is the worst off the stools have been in a while.

  • @next-year-perpetually said:

    If Kendall Wright turns out to be as good as Wallace, that would be amazing for whoever gets him. I don't think that giving up the #4 for Wallace is worth it (I don't think drafting Blackmon at #4 is worth it either). But if the choice was the 22 for Wallace (vs. drafting Wright or Floyd or any other WR), I'd do that in a second.

    I agree with the second half of your post, but I really don't understand how people can say Blackmon isn't worth a #4. I take Blackmon over RG3 in a second. RG3 has the athletic ability but I just don't see him as the next Cam Newton like many think. If he isn't than he isn't worth the #4 pick. Blackmon will be the next T.O. type and a HOF if he can stay healthy over his career. He is a about as close as you can get to a lock!

    But I would still like to see Cleveland trade down up to 5 spots, and get this years 1st and 2nd round and next years 2st round from Washington in the opportunity presents itself. That way we get 4 quality starters this year if we pick right.

    @browns57 said:

    I agree with the second half of your post, but I really don't understand how people can say Blackmon isn't worth a #4. I take Blackmon over RG3 in a second. RG3 has the athletic ability but I just don't see him as the next Cam Newton like many think. If he isn't than he isn't worth the #4 pick. Blackmon will be the next T.O. type and a HOF if he can stay healthy over his career. He is a about as close as you can get to a lock!

    will you still be calling him a lock if he runs a 4.5 at the combine?

    if he does, don't blame it on a bad performance cuz all i've read are saying he doesn't have elite speed. Plus he's 6'1". sure, he has crazy "ups" and can out-jump Plexico, and his body control is AMAZING but it needs to be with that height. it remains to be seen if he can get separation in the NFL but, if he can track the ball in the air like AJ Green, Brandon Marshall, Fitz, or Megatron to name a few then maybe, just maybe he might be worth the #4 overall. because he fights for the ball and usually comes down w it that helps his cause a lot.

    that said, i'd still consider Wallace w the #4 overall as well. i need to know more about him though.

    good locker room guy? yes?

    good citizen? yes?

    tough? yes?

    sure-handed? YES

    crisp routes? YES

    good vertical? YES

    willing to go over the middle? i really don't know. if no >> total deal breaker for me.

  • eh....his route running has a bit to be desired...but has improved every year. brown runs the middle routes more than wallace, but he can do it and has been the part of his game he's actively working on.

  • thank you for the feedback choco. i'm barely a casual steeler observer so there may be a lot i'm missing regarding him.

    to give up that 4th overall, he'd really have to have no glaring holes. but i'm sure Heckert has the answer to any question i'm asking.

    OT and just thinking out loud, i wonder if any of the Blackmon fans on this board feel he is a better commodity than AJ Green.i like the kid but that thought makes me chuckle.

  • If the Steelers let Mike Wallace hit restricted free agency, they will have trouble keeping him. He was one of the elite recievers last year, ranking between 7th to 12th overall in many publications. The Steelers rarely use the franchise tag (which they could do) but they probably believe they can match any restricted free agency offer (which would be foolish). For a play-off calibre team, giving up a late 1st round pick for Wallace is essentially a no-brainer.

    If your team is considering say Blackmon or is even in the market for a game breaking wide out who stretches the field, giving up a top 10 pick for a known quantity still seems like a worth while investment. Once the March deadline hits, you will know where the Browns stand in terms of the draft, assuming Wallace hits RFA. If they don't make an offer for Wallace, your front office is likely gearing up to get RG3, which probably means they will be considering moving up in the 1st round. If they have Blackmon as their target, they will have to pursue Wallace to some degree. My guess is someone will way overpay for Wallace's services and basically cause the Browns to stop pursuing him.

    Not wanting Wallace because he played for the Steelers is stupid. I'd love to have Joe Thomas on my team, and I wouldn't really care about his tainted Browns past.

  • Gip, I won't argue with you on Couch but as a #1 pick you would like to see a much better career path. The thing I remember about Couch is he would show why he was a #1 pick one game which reeled you in then follow it up with some stinkers consecutively.

    As far as Young goes, his first two years the Titans were 16th and 22nd in scoring I would hardly call that on fire. If you have watched Newton, you can see how impressive that kid is. I honestly hate admitting that because I was one of his biggest critics coming into the league. Kid is special.

  • wow...only browns fans would think a rookie WR is worth the #4 while simultaneously thinking a stud #1 WR with 3 years experience is not.

    some of you muthafuckas are downright we-fuckin-ta-did.

    "randy moss only got a 4th rounder!" so fucking what...how old was he again? you really think its an apples to apples comparison?

    see....dumb muthafuckas....

    @choco said:

    wow...only browns fans would think a rookie WR is worth the #4 while simultaneously thinking a stud #1 WR with 3 years experience is not.

    some of you muthafuckas are downright we-fuckin-ta-did.

    "randy moss only got a 4th rounder!" so fucking what...how old was he again? you really think its an apples to apples comparison?

    see....dumb muthafuckas....

    Randy Moss is a HOF caliber WR who was still at the top of his game. So if he is only worth a 4th, you want to be the #4 overall pick for who again?

  • @choco said:

    wow...only browns fans would think a rookie WR is worth the #4 while simultaneously thinking a stud #1 WR with 3 years experience is not.

    some of you muthafuckas are downright we-fuckin-ta-did.

    "randy moss only got a 4th rounder!" so fucking what...how old was he again? you really think its an apples to apples comparison?

    see....dumb muthafuckas....

    Randy Moss is a HOF caliber WR who was still at the top of his game. So if he is only worth a 4th, you want to be the #4 overall pick for who again?

    @runyon27 said:

    Randy Moss is a HOF caliber WR who was still at the top of his game. So if he is only worth a 4th, you want to be the #4 overall pick for who again?

    A malcontent that was coming off of a year where he had 553 yards and 3 TDs is never going to garner much. I'm not sure about some of your memories.

  • @choco said:

    wow...only browns fans would think a rookie WR is worth the #4 while simultaneously thinking a stud #1 WR with 3 years experience is not.

    some of you muthafuckas are downright we-fuckin-ta-did.

    "randy moss only got a 4th rounder!" so fucking what...how old was he again? you really think its an apples to apples comparison?

    see....dumb muthafuckas....

    Randy Moss is a HOF caliber WR who was still at the top of his game. So if he is only worth a 4th, you want to be the #4 overall pick for who again?

    @runyon27 said:

    Randy Moss is a HOF caliber WR who was still at the top of his game. So if he is only worth a 4th, you want to be the #4 overall pick for who again?

    You keep making the case better about why your opinions aren't worth reading.