Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Tribe Board
  3. Matt Laporta

Matt Laporta

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Tribe Board
5 Posts 4 Posters 724 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
    • 1k Posts
    • 0 Reputation
    Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    If Matt Laporta has a fantastic spring, does he have a shot at being the Tribes starting left fielder coming out of Arizona?

    Or does he start in Columbus?

    Adam Miller is another guy I was wondering about. Before Wood I thought he had a shot at being the Tribes closer. He gets that fastball up around 98 mph.

    Or is the Tribe still expecting him to be a starter? Does he have a shot at being in the 5 man rotation this year?

    Has anyone heard how far away Carlos Santana is? From what I've read this kid was a real steal for Blake.

    The future still looks very good for the Tribe!

    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • CIMO. C
      • 684 Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      C CIMO. wrote on last edited by
      #2

      I still can't imagine LaPorta playing in the outfield, definitely not to start the year. I think Francisco is a virtual lock to start in LF, keeping the seat warm for Michael Brantley. I see Laporta being the slugger at 1B/DH in the future...if Shoppach is dealt and Hafner still struggles that could be rushed, but Laporta has been struggling ever since the trade, you never know.

      Right now, I like Miller as our closer of the future. If he stays healthy, the Tribe could definitely use his ace-calibur stuff in the rotation, but I don't see that until at least 2010 or 11.

      Santana seems like he's ready to come up whenever he gets the call. I think I'm the leader on this board in the "Trade Shoppach" train, if he does get dealt I wouldn't be surprised to see Santana with the big club this summer.

      Side note....it never ceases to amaze me how Martinez and Hafner returning to form has an effect on basically every single aspect of projecting the '09 Tribe.

      Oldcrow1945O 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 9k Posts
        • 2k Reputation
        ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
        #3

        There really is no bridge past Hafner and Martinez at this point...and both are more or less the bail-out for the other.

        If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • C CIMO.

          I still can't imagine LaPorta playing in the outfield, definitely not to start the year. I think Francisco is a virtual lock to start in LF, keeping the seat warm for Michael Brantley. I see Laporta being the slugger at 1B/DH in the future...if Shoppach is dealt and Hafner still struggles that could be rushed, but Laporta has been struggling ever since the trade, you never know.

          Right now, I like Miller as our closer of the future. If he stays healthy, the Tribe could definitely use his ace-calibur stuff in the rotation, but I don't see that until at least 2010 or 11.

          Santana seems like he's ready to come up whenever he gets the call. I think I'm the leader on this board in the "Trade Shoppach" train, if he does get dealt I wouldn't be surprised to see Santana with the big club this summer.

          Side note....it never ceases to amaze me how Martinez and Hafner returning to form has an effect on basically every single aspect of projecting the '09 Tribe.

          Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
          • 1k Posts
          • 0 Reputation
          Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
          #4

          @cimo. said:

          I still can't imagine LaPorta playing in the outfield, definitely not to start the year. I think Francisco is a virtual lock to start in LF, keeping the seat warm for Michael Brantley. I see Laporta being the slugger at 1B/DH in the future...if Shoppach is dealt and Hafner still struggles that could be rushed, but Laporta has been struggling ever since the trade, you never know.

          Right now, I like Miller as our closer of the future. If he stays healthy, the Tribe could definitely use his ace-calibur stuff in the rotation, but I don't see that until at least 2010 or 11.

          Santana seems like he's ready to come up whenever he gets the call. I think I'm the leader on this board in the "Trade Shoppach" train, if he does get dealt I wouldn't be surprised to see Santana with the big club this summer.

          Side note....it never ceases to amaze me how Martinez and Hafner returning to form has an effect on basically every single aspect of projecting the '09 Tribe.

          Thanks for your thoughts.

          I know Laporta doesn't run well so being a future 1st baseman does make sense.

          I'm completely on board with you concerning Shoppach. If Santana is all that is advertised I think it makes perfect sense to trade Shoppach. A catcher with his arm and numers at the plate has to be worth a lot. Especially to a playoff type team like the Brewers or Yankees or Phillies who are not that strong behind the plate.

          What would you want in return? An experienced player or minor league prospect? I'm not sold on Francisco yet and I'd love to see a left fielder that could play with Sizemore and Choo in the OF....A left fielder that could get moved to DH when Brantley is ready.

          Francisco's numbers are not horrible. I'd love to see him hit around .290 with 20+ HR's rather than his very average .260 and 15 HR's last year.

          I hope Miller is up and producing soon. I'd really like to see him close with his past health problems. But hopefully with kerry that won't be a need this year....Keeping my fingers crossed.

          I do like the thought of Hodges and Lapointe at the corners with Santana and Sizemore up the middle in a couple of years.

          Those four with the likes of Choo, Brantley and Cabrera and you have a rally nice looking young group of players there.

          Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • JohnG71097 J One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 187 Posts
            • 5 Reputation
            J JohnG71097 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            I hope Miller is up and producing soon. I'd really like to see him close with his past health problems. But hopefully with kerry that won't be a need this year....Keeping my fingers crossed.

            I hope Adam Miller is healthy this year, after that everything will take care of itself.

            Check that, If Adam Miller or any other kids are the last reliever/seventh man in the pen

            I would rather have them pitching in Columbus until they are needed instead of breaking camp

            with the big club

            Because we all know how often Eric the Wedge uses his "other" relievers.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply

            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

            Register Login
            Reply
            • Reply as topic
            Log in to reply
            • Oldest to Newest
            • Newest to Oldest
            • Most Votes


            Theme
            • System
            • Light
            • Dark
            The Browns Board Terms Privacy

            The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

            • First post
              Last post
            0
            • Forums
            • Recent
            • Popular
            • Users
            • Donate