Andrew Sweat
-
Now this is what I don't understand. One of the huge cons that he has that kept him from getting drafted was that he is not very athletic or fast... but he some how ran 4.55 at his pro day.
-
As an OSU fan I have to comment about how crappy our lbs have turned out in the NFL. I know A.J. Hawk has been good but other then him its been something sad to see. I hope he makes the team and does well though. Also i want him and Smelley in uniform standing next to each other for the Smelley Sweat picture.
As an OSU fan I have to comment about how crappy our lbs have turned out in the NFL. I know A.J. Hawk has been good but other then him its been something sad to see. I hope he makes the team and does well though. Also i want him and Smelley in uniform standing next to each other for the Smelley Sweat picture.
Traditionally OSU has put out better NFL linebackers than Penn State. Maybe not lately though.
-
As an OSU fan I have to comment about how crappy our lbs have turned out in the NFL. I know A.J. Hawk has been good but other then him its been something sad to see. I hope he makes the team and does well though. Also i want him and Smelley in uniform standing next to each other for the Smelley Sweat picture.
As an OSU fan I have to comment about how crappy our lbs have turned out in the NFL. I know A.J. Hawk has been good but other then him its been something sad to see. I hope he makes the team and does well though. Also i want him and Smelley in uniform standing next to each other for the Smelley Sweat picture.
Isn't Laurinitis doing OK with the Rams? Just asking.
-
As an OSU fan I have to comment about how crappy our lbs have turned out in the NFL. I know A.J. Hawk has been good but other then him its been something sad to see. I hope he makes the team and does well though. Also i want him and Smelley in uniform standing next to each other for the Smelley Sweat picture.
Isn't Laurinitis doing OK with the Rams? Just asking.
Isn't Laurinitis doing OK with the Rams? Just asking.
He has. I think top 10 or 15 MLB in the whole league which is decent for a 2nd round pick. Both Hawk and Laurinitis are solid MLB but Hawk was drafted too high for his production thus far in the NFL. I will agree however that the LB OSU has put out in the draft haven't really panned out the past few years. Last year we had Rolle and Homan. Rolle has underachieved and was only used on passing downs and Homan retired during the preseason do to concussion problems.
-
Isn't Laurinitis doing OK with the Rams? Just asking.
He has. I think top 10 or 15 MLB in the whole league which is decent for a 2nd round pick. Both Hawk and Laurinitis are solid MLB but Hawk was drafted too high for his production thus far in the NFL. I will agree however that the LB OSU has put out in the draft haven't really panned out the past few years. Last year we had Rolle and Homan. Rolle has underachieved and was only used on passing downs and Homan retired during the preseason do to concussion problems.
He has. I think top 10 or 15 MLB in the whole league which is decent for a 2nd round pick. Both Hawk and Laurinitis are solid MLB but Hawk was drafted too high for his production thus far in the NFL. I will agree however that the LB OSU has put out in the draft haven't really panned out the past few years. Last year we had Rolle and Homan. Rolle has underachieved and was only used on passing downs and Homan retired during the preseason do to concussion problems.
How has rolle under achieved? He was a really late round pick and he was starting for the eagles his rookie year. I dont remember a bunch of hype surrounding him to the point where he could underachieve
-
FYI Rolle worked his way into the starting lineup his rookie year and the games I saw he didn't look out of place at all.
-
He has. I think top 10 or 15 MLB in the whole league which is decent for a 2nd round pick. Both Hawk and Laurinitis are solid MLB but Hawk was drafted too high for his production thus far in the NFL. I will agree however that the LB OSU has put out in the draft haven't really panned out the past few years. Last year we had Rolle and Homan. Rolle has underachieved and was only used on passing downs and Homan retired during the preseason do to concussion problems.
How has rolle under achieved? He was a really late round pick and he was starting for the eagles his rookie year. I dont remember a bunch of hype surrounding him to the point where he could underachieve
How has rolle under achieved? He was a really late round pick and he was starting for the eagles his rookie year. I dont remember a bunch of hype surrounding him to the point where he could underachieve
FYI Rolle worked his way into the starting lineup his rookie year and the games I saw he didn't look out of place at all.
They brought him and Matthews in to create 1 complete starting MLB. Matthews on running downs and Rolle on passing downs. He isn't a complete LB he is a situational LB and he didn't do a great job which is expected since he was a late round pick. No one is confusing him for even a solid starter in this league and he is a big reason why they drafted Kendricks out of Cal who is the best MLB in the draft after Kuechly.
-
Isn't Laurinitis doing OK with the Rams? Just asking.
He has. I think top 10 or 15 MLB in the whole league which is decent for a 2nd round pick. Both Hawk and Laurinitis are solid MLB but Hawk was drafted too high for his production thus far in the NFL. I will agree however that the LB OSU has put out in the draft haven't really panned out the past few years. Last year we had Rolle and Homan. Rolle has underachieved and was only used on passing downs and Homan retired during the preseason do to concussion problems.
Homan retired during the preseason do to concussion problems.
My friend is Homan's cousin and said he got a contract offer from the Browns but turned it down because he didnt want to play for us. His excuse was concussion problems.
-
How has rolle under achieved? He was a really late round pick and he was starting for the eagles his rookie year. I dont remember a bunch of hype surrounding him to the point where he could underachieve
FYI Rolle worked his way into the starting lineup his rookie year and the games I saw he didn't look out of place at all.
They brought him and Matthews in to create 1 complete starting MLB. Matthews on running downs and Rolle on passing downs. He isn't a complete LB he is a situational LB and he didn't do a great job which is expected since he was a late round pick. No one is confusing him for even a solid starter in this league and he is a big reason why they drafted Kendricks out of Cal who is the best MLB in the draft after Kuechly.
They brought him and Matthews in to create 1 complete starting MLB. Matthews on running downs and Rolle on passing downs. He isn't a complete LB he is a situational LB and he didn't do a great job which is expected since he was a late round pick. No one is confusing him for even a solid starter in this league and he is a big reason why they drafted Kendricks out of Cal who is the best MLB in the draft after Kuechly.
Man your tough today.
He was the starter at weakside LB from Week 4 on- had a TD- had 54 tackles- what more do you want from a 6th round pick in their rookie season. Make no mistake- He's no Laurinitas. We'd be doing back flips if Acho gave us that this season. He probably has a solid starter ceiling and at the minimum he's a great special teams player. I'd take that in the 3rd and 4th round too.
Let's just agree he's outplayed his draft position.
Also, Who cares if they drafted a LB- do you realize some teams like the Eagles take best player available and they have that luxury because they have pretty solid rosters prior to the draft.
-
As an OSU fan I have to comment about how crappy our lbs have turned out in the NFL. I know A.J. Hawk has been good but other then him its been something sad to see. I hope he makes the team and does well though. Also i want him and Smelley in uniform standing next to each other for the Smelley Sweat picture.
Traditionally OSU has put out better NFL linebackers than Penn State. Maybe not lately though.
Traditionally OSU has put out better NFL linebackers than Penn State. Maybe not lately though.
Hahaha....that's a good one!
-
As an OSU fan I have to comment about how crappy our lbs have turned out in the NFL. I know A.J. Hawk has been good but other then him its been something sad to see. I hope he makes the team and does well though. Also i want him and Smelley in uniform standing next to each other for the Smelley Sweat picture.
Traditionally OSU has put out better NFL linebackers than Penn State. Maybe not lately though.
Traditionally OSU has put out better NFL linebackers than Penn State. Maybe not lately though.

-
They brought him and Matthews in to create 1 complete starting MLB. Matthews on running downs and Rolle on passing downs. He isn't a complete LB he is a situational LB and he didn't do a great job which is expected since he was a late round pick. No one is confusing him for even a solid starter in this league and he is a big reason why they drafted Kendricks out of Cal who is the best MLB in the draft after Kuechly.
Man your tough today.
He was the starter at weakside LB from Week 4 on- had a TD- had 54 tackles- what more do you want from a 6th round pick in their rookie season. Make no mistake- He's no Laurinitas. We'd be doing back flips if Acho gave us that this season. He probably has a solid starter ceiling and at the minimum he's a great special teams player. I'd take that in the 3rd and 4th round too.
Let's just agree he's outplayed his draft position.
Also, Who cares if they drafted a LB- do you realize some teams like the Eagles take best player available and they have that luxury because they have pretty solid rosters prior to the draft.
Man your tough today.
He was the starter at weakside LB from Week 4 on- had a TD- had 54 tackles- what more do you want from a 6th round pick in their rookie season. Make no mistake- He's no Laurinitas. We'd be doing back flips if Acho gave us that this season. He probably has a solid starter ceiling and at the minimum he's a great special teams player. I'd take that in the 3rd and 4th round too.
Let's just agree he's outplayed his draft position.
Also, Who cares if they drafted a LB- do you realize some teams like the Eagles take best player available and they have that luxury because they have pretty solid rosters prior to the draft.
I was under the impression that the was splitting time with Matthews at MLB, I didn't know he got moved to weakside. I will agree that he has out played his draft position but I would also still be hard pressed to call him anymore than a situational player in this league. He might e starting but in all honesty they should find someone better to take the spot.
-
Homan retired during the preseason do to concussion problems.
My friend is Homan's cousin and said he got a contract offer from the Browns but turned it down because he didnt want to play for us. His excuse was concussion problems.
My friend is Homan's cousin and said he got a contract offer from the Browns but turned it down because he didnt want to play for us. His excuse was concussion problems.
I'm from the Mercer area and played in the MAC. From what I heard he got the concussion in the 1st preseason game with the Vikes and he couldn't get rid of the symptoms and he got cut week 3 or 4 because of it. He then signed a deal with Tampa to be on the practice squad and quit a week later because he was worried about his health since he was still having concussion symptoms.
-
Traditionally OSU has put out better NFL linebackers than Penn State. Maybe not lately though.
Hahaha....that's a good one!
-
Wait are we saying better linebackers recently or all time?
-
Wait are we saying better linebackers recently or all time?
He said all-time *except for maybe the past 10 years or so).
-
Wait are we saying better linebackers recently or all time?
Perhaps, both.
-
OK, here is the comparison of Ohio State and Penn State Linebackers through the years. I am going to list any linebacker from each program that spent a 5 year career in the NFL, plus some active players. I will note Pro Bowls and All Pro selections:
OHIO STATE:
Tony Adamle 6 years 2 Pro Bowls
Aaron Brown 6 years
Bob Brudzinski 13 years
Joe Campanella 6 years
Bobby Carpenter 6 years..active
Tom Cousineau 6 years (plus Canada)
Na'il Diggs 12 years
Sonny Gandee 6 years
Thaddeus Gibson 2 years...active
Randy Gradishar 10 years 7 Pro Bowls 2 All Pro
Larry Grant 4 years, active 2012 will be 5th year
Anthony Griggs 7 years
AJ Hawk 6 years active
Jim Houston 10 years 4 Pro Bowls
Bill Jobko 9 years
Pepper Johnson 10 years 2 Pro Bowls 1 All Pro
Jim Laughlin 8 years
Jim Laurenitis 3 years active
Orlando Lowry 5 years
Rick Middleton 5 years
Chris Spielman 10 years 4 Pro Bowls 1 All Pro
Lorenzo Styles 6 years
Steve Tovar 8 years
Mike Vrabel 10 years 1 Pro Bowl 1 All Pro
Stan White 11 years
Matt Wilhelm 8 years
PENN ST.
Kurt Allerman 9 years
LaVar Arrington 7 years 3 Pro Bowls
Walker Lee Ashley 7 years
Ralph Baker 10 years
Navarro Bowman 2 years active 1 All Pro
Greg Butler 9 years
Andre Collins 10 years
Shane Conlan 9 years 3 Pro Bowls
Dan Connor 4 years active
Ron Crosby 6 years
Chuck Drazenovich 10 years 4 Pro Bowls
Jeff Ebersole 8 years
Keith Goganian 5 years
Dave Graf 6 years
Jack Ham HALL OF FAME
Terry Kiltery 7 years
Jim Laslevic 9 years
Rich Milot 9 years
Bob Mitinger 5 years
Jim Nelson 8 years
Ed O'Neil 7 years
Paul Pozluzney 5 years active
Scott Radevic 12 years
Dave Robinson 10 years 3 Pro Bowls 1 All Pro
Bill Saul 8 years
Tim Shaw 5 years
Brandon Short 7 years
Jim Skorupan 8 years
The two schools have had just about the same number of LBs with 5 year careers: PSU: 28 OSU: 27. They have had the same number of players make the Pro Bowl: 6 each. Ohio State has had more players selected as All Pro: 4 vs 3. (PSU includes Ham). Ham is the only Hall of Famer in the crowd, though Gradishar was a HOF Finalist for like 8-10 years running.
Just looking at the names, to me, it is clear that Ohio State by no means takes a back seat to PSU in terms of producing quality NFL linebackers.
I would venture to say, however, that if you took USC's LB corps through the years, they would probably best either school. In fact, here is the list of USC LBs who were Pro Bowlers or All Pros:
Chip Banks, Duane Bickett, Frank Buncom, Brian Cushing, Dave Lewis, Rod Martin, Clay Mattews Jr., Clay Matthews III, Tim Rossovich, Junior Seau, Lofa Tatupu. Almost the same as PSU and OSU combined.
-
I know, you are going to ask: When is Kaluka Maiava going to join the list of USC Pro Bowl LBs.
Good luck with that.
-
@MaryKayCabot: Ohio state linebacker Andrew sweat,'signed by #browns as an undrafted free agent, is not at camp and has decided not to play, Shurmur said.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login