Phil Taylor Torn Pec
-
Yes, I agree that there is no way that these guys should be overdoing it so much that they would tear or rip muscles.
Something is wrong with the training if that is happening.
And yes, now The Sausage King really may now have to stand and deliver.
-
All over twitter. Mary Kay says agent has confirmed.
This sucks so bad.
Oh yeah, Daquan Bowers just tore his ACL, wow players can't catch a break lately.
Oh yeah, Daquan Bowers just tore his ACL, wow players can't catch a break lately.
Is Daquan Bowers one of ours? Don't recall that name.
-
these guys need to stay on some type of physical regiment all year long. not saying that taylor or most don't, but to sit around for 4 months and eat bon bons and the next day you're thrust back into the gym trying to outdo numbers in the weight room from last years end of season numbers is ridiculous.
isn't that why they play preseason games, to get these guys up to speed? why not the same with conditioning?
someone needs to get fired over this shit.
-
All over twitter. Mary Kay says agent has confirmed.
This sucks so bad.
Oh yeah, Daquan Bowers just tore his ACL, wow players can't catch a break lately.
Oh yeah, Daquan Bowers just tore his ACL, wow players can't catch a break lately.
His was an achilies i think, either or shit is insane. Had to figure the Browns were doomed.
-
"grumble....dammit.....demote the strength and conditioning coach to assistant to the assistant.....son of a ...."

-
I can not remember hearing about so many torn pecs in the NFL are these guys just trying to overdo it during workouts? Is our training staff inept? I'm glad someone in the organization is clairvoyant and picked up Old Man "john hughes"
confirmed happened during weight room training... the trainers should be fired 20 years working as an athletic trainer and never had a kid tear a muscle under my watch.
i'm hoping it wssn't a complete tear off the sternum...just don't understand why they aren't using narrow grips and using a bump plate on their chest...when those kids where doing reps at the combine i saw two kids out of like 12 that day not doing it correctly and wouldn't you know it one of those kids tore his pec...not the kids fall that trainer should have gotten punched in the face for letting them do that.
I can not remember hearing about so many torn pecs in the NFL are these guys just trying to overdo it during workouts? Is our training staff inept? I'm glad someone in the organization is clairvoyant and picked up Old Man "john hughes"
confirmed happened during weight room training... the trainers should be fired 20 years working as an athletic trainer and never had a kid tear a muscle under my watch.
i'm hoping it wssn't a complete tear off the sternum...just don't understand why they aren't using narrow grips and using a bump plate on their chest...when those kids where doing reps at the combine i saw two kids out of like 12 that day not doing it correctly and wouldn't you know it one of those kids tore his pec...not the kids fall that trainer should have gotten punched in the face for letting them do that.
Well I assume you don't have kids who are putting up 300-400 pounds on a consistent basis. The more weight the higher risk of injury. They also don't use narrow grip because that is an isolated tricep lift, the wider the grip the more the chest is used. The chest is needed more in pushing motions on the football field. You also don't want to use pump plates, planks, ect, because the point is to lift something you can handle. When you use those planks and plates it takes away from your stabilizing muscles which are very important when it comes to sports.
When it comes down to it injuries like this happen. Training staff can't be blames for freak accidents. I tend to completely ignore barbell bench because of the strain it puts on my chest and shoulder with my hands being in a fixed position. I only use the barbell bench for declines and that is still rare. I always use dumbbells instead because you get a better range of motion on the chest because you can bring the weights together and there is less strain on the shoulders and chest because you can move the weights out to the side and drop them if they get too heavy. But dumbbells don't build bench strength like barbells do and they are necessary for the sport of football.
-
How severe is the tear.
-
I can not remember hearing about so many torn pecs in the NFL are these guys just trying to overdo it during workouts? Is our training staff inept? I'm glad someone in the organization is clairvoyant and picked up Old Man "john hughes"
confirmed happened during weight room training... the trainers should be fired 20 years working as an athletic trainer and never had a kid tear a muscle under my watch.
i'm hoping it wssn't a complete tear off the sternum...just don't understand why they aren't using narrow grips and using a bump plate on their chest...when those kids where doing reps at the combine i saw two kids out of like 12 that day not doing it correctly and wouldn't you know it one of those kids tore his pec...not the kids fall that trainer should have gotten punched in the face for letting them do that.
Well I assume you don't have kids who are putting up 300-400 pounds on a consistent basis. The more weight the higher risk of injury. They also don't use narrow grip because that is an isolated tricep lift, the wider the grip the more the chest is used. The chest is needed more in pushing motions on the football field. You also don't want to use pump plates, planks, ect, because the point is to lift something you can handle. When you use those planks and plates it takes away from your stabilizing muscles which are very important when it comes to sports.
When it comes down to it injuries like this happen. Training staff can't be blames for freak accidents. I tend to completely ignore barbell bench because of the strain it puts on my chest and shoulder with my hands being in a fixed position. I only use the barbell bench for declines and that is still rare. I always use dumbbells instead because you get a better range of motion on the chest because you can bring the weights together and there is less strain on the shoulders and chest because you can move the weights out to the side and drop them if they get too heavy. But dumbbells don't build bench strength like barbells do and they are necessary for the sport of football.
Well I assume you don't have kids who are putting up 300-400 pounds on a consistent basis. The more weight the higher risk of injury. They also don't use narrow grip because that is an isolated tricep lift, the wider the grip the more the chest is used. The chest is needed more in pushing motions on the football field. You also don't want to use pump plates, planks, ect, because the point is to lift something you can handle. When you use those planks and plates it takes away from your stabilizing muscles which are very important when it comes to sports.
When it comes down to it injuries like this happen. Training staff can't be blames for freak accidents. I tend to completely ignore barbell bench because of the strain it puts on my chest and shoulder with my hands being in a fixed position. I only use the barbell bench for declines and that is still rare. I always use dumbbells instead because you get a better range of motion on the chest because you can bring the weights together and there is less strain on the shoulders and chest because you can move the weights out to the side and drop them if they get too heavy. But dumbbells don't build bench strength like barbells do and they are necessary for the sport of football.
Red= There's the problem. Guys are training with so much weight now, there's no margin for error, you can increase muscle strength- AFAIK, you can't increase connective tissue strength. You're sacrificing flexibility for strength. Injuries like torn pecs and torn biceps were unheard of in the 60's.
And there's far too many of these "freak accidents" league wide to hold training staffs blameless. "What's the best you've ever benched?" "375." "Aw, come on, you can do 400."
-
And so it begins.
-
Well I assume you don't have kids who are putting up 300-400 pounds on a consistent basis. The more weight the higher risk of injury. They also don't use narrow grip because that is an isolated tricep lift, the wider the grip the more the chest is used. The chest is needed more in pushing motions on the football field. You also don't want to use pump plates, planks, ect, because the point is to lift something you can handle. When you use those planks and plates it takes away from your stabilizing muscles which are very important when it comes to sports.
When it comes down to it injuries like this happen. Training staff can't be blames for freak accidents. I tend to completely ignore barbell bench because of the strain it puts on my chest and shoulder with my hands being in a fixed position. I only use the barbell bench for declines and that is still rare. I always use dumbbells instead because you get a better range of motion on the chest because you can bring the weights together and there is less strain on the shoulders and chest because you can move the weights out to the side and drop them if they get too heavy. But dumbbells don't build bench strength like barbells do and they are necessary for the sport of football.
Red= There's the problem. Guys are training with so much weight now, there's no margin for error, you can increase muscle strength- AFAIK, you can't increase connective tissue strength. You're sacrificing flexibility for strength. Injuries like torn pecs and torn biceps were unheard of in the 60's.
And there's far too many of these "freak accidents" league wide to hold training staffs blameless. "What's the best you've ever benched?" "375." "Aw, come on, you can do 400."
And there's far too many of these "freak accidents" league wide to hold training staffs blameless. "What's the best you've ever benched?" "375." "Aw, come on, you can do 400."
I agree. These goofball strength coaches get these guys all jacked up to the point their muscles are as tight as piano strings. When the heck is some team going to see that range of motion and flexibility are important??
If I owned a team I would mandate to all strength coaches the weight needs to be reduced by 25%. I would also mandate all players take yoga or judo, or both. Both are a great way to stretch out your muscles and increase your range of motion. As a matter of fact, I would hire them as coaches on the team and place the strength goofballs under their direction.
Sure, being strong is important. The problem is Taylor is now about as weak as it gets. A 12 year old can now push more weight off his chest then can Taylor.
I am tired of it....I can see the goofball strength guy yelling, eyes about to pop out of his head...."Give me one more!!"
Idiots.
-
And there's far too many of these "freak accidents" league wide to hold training staffs blameless. "What's the best you've ever benched?" "375." "Aw, come on, you can do 400."
I agree. These goofball strength coaches get these guys all jacked up to the point their muscles are as tight as piano strings. When the heck is some team going to see that range of motion and flexibility are important??
If I owned a team I would mandate to all strength coaches the weight needs to be reduced by 25%. I would also mandate all players take yoga or judo, or both. Both are a great way to stretch out your muscles and increase your range of motion. As a matter of fact, I would hire them as coaches on the team and place the strength goofballs under their direction.
Sure, being strong is important. The problem is Taylor is now about as weak as it gets. A 12 year old can now push more weight off his chest then can Taylor.
I am tired of it....I can see the goofball strength guy yelling, eyes about to pop out of his head...."Give me one more!!"
Idiots.
-
Well I assume you don't have kids who are putting up 300-400 pounds on a consistent basis. The more weight the higher risk of injury. They also don't use narrow grip because that is an isolated tricep lift, the wider the grip the more the chest is used. The chest is needed more in pushing motions on the football field. You also don't want to use pump plates, planks, ect, because the point is to lift something you can handle. When you use those planks and plates it takes away from your stabilizing muscles which are very important when it comes to sports.
When it comes down to it injuries like this happen. Training staff can't be blames for freak accidents. I tend to completely ignore barbell bench because of the strain it puts on my chest and shoulder with my hands being in a fixed position. I only use the barbell bench for declines and that is still rare. I always use dumbbells instead because you get a better range of motion on the chest because you can bring the weights together and there is less strain on the shoulders and chest because you can move the weights out to the side and drop them if they get too heavy. But dumbbells don't build bench strength like barbells do and they are necessary for the sport of football.
Red= There's the problem. Guys are training with so much weight now, there's no margin for error, you can increase muscle strength- AFAIK, you can't increase connective tissue strength. You're sacrificing flexibility for strength. Injuries like torn pecs and torn biceps were unheard of in the 60's.
And there's far too many of these "freak accidents" league wide to hold training staffs blameless. "What's the best you've ever benched?" "375." "Aw, come on, you can do 400."
Red= There's the problem. Guys are training with so much weight now, there's no margin for error, you can increase muscle strength- AFAIK, you can't increase connective tissue strength. You're sacrificing flexibility for strength. Injuries like torn pecs and torn biceps were unheard of in the 60's.
And there's far too many of these "freak accidents" league wide to hold training staffs blameless. "What's the best you've ever benched?" "375." "Aw, come on, you can do 400."
Well when the other guy is benching 400 it makes sense to push your guy to lift more. I guarantee though this training staff isn't forcing anyone to put up weight they don't think they can get safely. How much a player puts up is up to the player and the training isn't and shouldn't try to hold them back. If they said "The limit is 375, nothing above that" then in a year or two you would be seeing how the Browns keep getting pushed around on the field and would be complaining about it. You can't hold training staffs responsible for injuries like this. Saying that would be saying they need to be able to read minds and body language. Players responsibility ask for help when it's needed and to warm up the muscles properly to keep this stuff from happening.
-
Harry is 100% right.
Yes, Phil needs flexibility. Yes, he needs a full range of motion. Shocking. He should already be doing yoga.
The bottom line is that the motion of the complete flat bench [no plates, no close grip] is exactly one of few athletic motions Phil needs to be very strong in during his work. OL and DL are the only positions in any sport [you could argue that a defenseman in lacrosse needs this as well and that's it] where the requirement of the role is to explode with power with both hands at the same time.
No way exists to "simulate" or to "increase stabilizing muscles" - think about it, the way you stabilize when doing the full strength lift is.. to lift at full strength. If you're lifting at 75%, you're only stabilizing for that 75% weight. High weight flat bench is essential for OL and DL. The argument for decreasing weight is the same argument in support of a back brace during heavy squat -- also a stupid idea, because the entire point of the lift is to increase the legs and all stabilizing muscles as a system, not just one in isolation.
-
I do yoga and plyos gave up the big plates a few years ago.
-
And there's far too many of these "freak accidents" league wide to hold training staffs blameless. "What's the best you've ever benched?" "375." "Aw, come on, you can do 400."
I agree. These goofball strength coaches get these guys all jacked up to the point their muscles are as tight as piano strings. When the heck is some team going to see that range of motion and flexibility are important??
If I owned a team I would mandate to all strength coaches the weight needs to be reduced by 25%. I would also mandate all players take yoga or judo, or both. Both are a great way to stretch out your muscles and increase your range of motion. As a matter of fact, I would hire them as coaches on the team and place the strength goofballs under their direction.
Sure, being strong is important. The problem is Taylor is now about as weak as it gets. A 12 year old can now push more weight off his chest then can Taylor.
I am tired of it....I can see the goofball strength guy yelling, eyes about to pop out of his head...."Give me one more!!"
Idiots.
I agree. These goofball strength coaches get these guys all jacked up to the point their muscles are as tight as piano strings. When the heck is some team going to see that range of motion and flexibility are important??
If I owned a team I would mandate to all strength coaches the weight needs to be reduced by 25%. I would also mandate all players take yoga or judo, or both.
Tai Chi or kung fu would be better.
Both are a great way to stretch out your muscles and increase your range of motion. As a matter of fact, I would hire them as coaches on the team and place the strength goofballs under their direction.
Sure, being strong is important. The problem is Taylor is now about as weak as it gets. A 12 year old can now push more weight off his chest then can Taylor.
I am tired of it....I can see the goofball strength guy yelling, eyes about to pop out of his head...."Give me one more!!"
Idiots.
-
Anyone saying thee strength and conditioning coaches need to be fired are idiots and I would really like to see you guys run a team so I could see the weak ass pussies you put out on the field. Yoga and Tia Chi isn't going to build your strength like weight lifting is. Teams would blow past any team that did their strength conditioning in this way. One fucking guy has a lifting injury, a freak injury that could happen to anyone on any team in this league, and you call for the strength coach to be fired.
I will say it one last time, if you think the strength coach should be fired because of this you obvious don't know enough about weight lifting and strength training in general to even share your opinion on the matter.
-
Zombo said:
ESPN Cleveland confirming torn, surgery, and likely done for the year...
Z
All hale The Sausage King.

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login