Official 2012 Training Camp Report Thread
-
Cleveland Browns Trent Richardson wows record camp crowd on first day in full pads'
http://www.cleveland.com/brown...strent_richards.html
Published: Sunday, July 29, 2012, 6:08 PM Updated: Monday, July 30, 2012, 7:35 AM
By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer
Berea, Ohio -- Browns rookie running back Trent Richardson dazzled a record training camp crowd of 4,200 on the first day of practice in full pads.
On a day where the running game and play-action were the focus, Richardson got the fans pumped with an array of powerful bursts and one screen pass from quarterback Brandon Weeden, after which Richardson darted and weaved for a long gain to a chorus of cheers.
"Oh, yeah, I really get to do what I do best [in pads]," he said. "I get to bounce off guys, get to try to run guys over, break tackles or whatever. I think when I get in full pads, it's a whole 'nother me. Not to be cocky or nothing, that's just my confidence in my game, and that's just what I'm blessed with."
Defensive tackle Brian Schaefering indoctrinated Richardson on his first run in team drills, tossing him to the ground near the line of scrimmage. But he popped back up with some extra fire in his belly and ripped off two straight runs to the left for about 5 and 10 yards.
"Oh, yeah, most definitely [i'll get tested] and that's how it's going to be," he said. "It's a contact sport and I love contact. So when it comes down to it, you've got to expect that, especially when you're the first pick of the draft and you're for the Cleveland Browns. There's a lot of tradition here as far as running backs, just the whole football program. Defenses, they're always turned up, so when you're getting checked by them every time, it's going to make you better on game day."
Richardson, who has shed about five pounds since minicamp, returned from his short break not only lighter, but brighter.
"I'm learning more and more every day," he said. "I'm staying with the older guys, especially the older guys on the defensive side, and asking them what can I do better to disguise a run or to make them miss more tackles or whatever. Just doing stuff to get more wisdom from these older guys. I'm trying to become more professional every day."
Hardesty, too: Montario Hardesty, who said in minicamp that he stacks up with Richardson, appears to be out to prove it. Hardesty ripped off a couple of long runs and drew cheers from the crowd. Completely healthy for the first time in a Browns training camp, Hardesty looks like the back the Browns thought they were getting when they traded up to take him in the second round of the 2010 draft.
"That's as quick as I've seen him," said coach Pat Shurmur. "That was as good as I've seen Montario look."
Gordon coming on: Big-bodied rookie receiver Josh Gordon, picked in the supplemental draft July 12, is proving to be a quick study and earned some reps with the first-team offense. It's becoming evident why the Browns spent their 2013 second-round pick on him.
"Obviously, he's a physical specimen," said Weeden. "He's a really good player. But what's amazing is how far he's come since even Day One as far as knowing his assignment, knowing what route to run and doing certain things," said Weeden.
"He's come a long ways already. I'm excited about his future. He's one of those guys, he doesn't say a whole lot, but you can tell he can play football and I saw some of it at Baylor.
"He ran by us a couple times when he was at Baylor. The guy can flat-out play. It's exciting to have him out there. He's a big target. On the outside, you can throw slants, you can throw balls on his body, plus, he can run. He can run by guys, so he's going to be a really good player."
Cribbs is special: Shurmur said Josh Cribbs didn't get many reps at receiver Sunday, but insists "his role is not changing." However, he described Cribbs as "a special teams player that plays receiver."
Shurmur also likes that Cribbs has shed 15 pounds since last season, although he is still listed at 215.
"I think it will help him," said Shurmur. "As you become a player on the back nine of your career, I think it really helps you to not carry extra weight. I expressed that to him."
Ones vs. twos: In the final team period Sunday, Shurmur pitted Weeden and the first-team offense against the second-team defense, and worked Colt McCoy and the second-team offense against the first-team defense. But one thing Shurmur wanted to see was his two rookie defensive tackles, John Hughes and Billy Winn, side-by-side against the starting offensive line.
"We did that on purpose," said Shurmur. "They battled in there pretty well."
-
Pat Shurmur and Brad Childress don't know if they'll be with the Browns in 2013.
Browns keep eyes on present while owner swap promises interesting future
BEREA, Ohio -- The Cleveland Browns were about to embark on a training camp focused not on new coaches or team presidents or management issues, but finally just about the hopeful development of a young roster. Then all hell broke loose.
Late last week news began to circulate that Randy Lerner was selling the team to a Steelers minority owner. On Friday, team president Mike Holmgren was addressing questions about his future in Cleveland. Now everyone in the surrounding area is seemingly focused on who Jim Haslam is and how quickly he takes over their beloved, if often hapless, franchise. While the Browns take the field every day -- and in reality no ownership change this time of year would be able to impact the on-field product for 2012 -- many of those around the players here at team headquarters can't help but wonder how drastically all areas of this building could change, and brace for yet another exodus of employees in everything from football operations to marketing.
As if young head coach Pat Shurmur didn't have enough to negotiate, trying to revive a moribund offense and prepare a rookie quarterback, running back and right tackle to be starters, and cultivate a very raw receiving corps, he is suddenly also facing more macro issues as well. Several league sources continue to anticipate that Haslam will take over for Lerner before the start of the regular season, with the league possibly calling for a special vote on it by late August. Within the Steelers front office, where Haslam remains part of the ownership group, for now, it's seen as a relative fait acompli. It's talked about in those same terms here.
Haslam has also received glowing recommendations from the league on bringing in former Eagles team president Joe Banner in the same position, league sources said, and while the issue of Banner's precise equity stake may still need to be resolved, many in the league office expect Banner to end up in Cleveland. That would spell the end of Holmgren's regime, and by the end of the season another series of sweeping organizational changes would be afoot.
It's a lot to have hanging over you, but the team's perpetual struggles under Lerner and his litany of coaches and GMs and team presidents have taken a toll on this football-rabid market, and the league office would love to see the luster of the historic franchise return. Haslam is seemingly universally well thought of, he's seen as a principle owner in waiting, and the Rooney family, of all NFL dignitaries, supports the move.
The sale price will be north of $900 million but less than $1 billion, sources said. This is going to happen. Everyone around here seems to know it. But it's also a little awkward, caught between a current owner who keeps a very private profile and has been the subject of much scorn in these parts, and not yet having even met the man primed to take over (Haslam will also have to quickly address an old declaration that he's 1,000 percent a Steelers fan when he gets to town). Shurmur broached the topic during his camp-opening team meeting last Thursday, hoping to get it out of the way before the inevitable media blitz began.
"What I told the players was," Shurmur said, "not one thing that we talked about during the team meeting in terms of what we need to do to get better, and what we hope to accomplish, not one thing has changed. And I think they absorbed it and then you talk to them and the feedback that I'm getting tells me they understand that. So it's like anything that you hear for the first time, you kind of absorb it and move on, and I think our team has done a good job of that."
Similarly, young general manager Tom Heckert had a team of scouts and staff harboring some of the same questions and concerns. They're naturally wondering what the impending change might mean for them as well.
"My guys, I told them all, 'This is probably going to happen, it's in the works,'" Heckert said. "So everybody wants to know, 'Well, what does that mean?' Well, nothing really until we meet the new owner. So really there is nothing you can do about it. So I told everyone just carry on doing what we've always done."
The reality is, at this stage of the offseason, no owner could change too much now. "You would think so," Heckert said. "That's what I told some of the players: Everything is more or less done for the season now, so it's nothing to worry about now."
Heckert has been bold this offseason, trying to rapidly upgrade what was a brutal attack in 2011. They drafted Trent Richardson and quarterback Brandon Weeden in the first round, grabbed Mitchell Schwartz to be the right tackle and used a second-round pick in the supplemental draft a few weeks back on Josh Gordon. It's a foregone conclusion that Weeden will be the starter, and Gordon, whose size on the practice field is striking, is working with the starters in some packages despite not playing college ball since his sophomore year at Baylor.
"I've been pleasantly surprised by what a fast learner he is, which has allowed him to get on the field and play," Shurmur said, as the rookie missed the entire offseason with the supplemental draft just taking place in early July.
He has the body type to be a matchup nightmare if he can develop and stay away from failing a drug test.
"We know it was a little bit of a risk," Heckert said, "but he's a big physical guy. With Greg Little and [rookie] Travis Benjamin there too, we feel like we've gone from a so-so group to a really good group. We're excited about them, we really are."
If nothing else, they're physically imposing.
"It's not like Dan Marino's Smurfs out there," said new offensive coordinator Brad Childress, whose presence allows Shurmur to focus on things beyond the offense more this season. Childress said it's like old times in Philadelphia being back with Shurmur -- "We speak the same language" -- and the two of them know they must get Weeden up to speed quickly (former starter Colt McCoy has been working primarily with the second team and could be gone by the start of the regular season).
Monday's practice focused on special situations -- goal line and two-minute drill -- and it all looked new to the rookie, with Weeden getting some balls knocked down, seeming unsure. That's to be expected and Shurmur said there would be five more preseason practices in this vein to focus on those situations.
"Everything is new to him, with the two-minute drill and the speed of the game and spitting [plays] out," Childress said. "I'll be anxious to see him against a good front in Detroit in the first preseason game. He's not bad right now, but when you put all those big bodies in front of him and hands waving and the ball gets batted today. He's not too bad. He's got great innate skills, but we've got to get it to be rote. If you're thinkin', you're stinkin'. And I don't want him thinking."
Come to think of it, that's pretty much the approach of the entire organization with so much in flux: Don't think too much, focus on the next task at hand, try not to contemplate the uncertain future, and aim to prove your worth in 2012, with Haslam primed to truly put his mark on the Browns this winter.
Camp Rumblings: Benjamin, a fourth-round pick, continues to make plays and the coaches believe he could push for playing time.
• The Browns expect defensive lineman Ahtyba Rubin back around the first preseason game and Heckert is confident that key lineman Phil Taylor, who tore a pectoral muscle in offseason training, will be able to play shortly after coming off the PUP list following Week 6.
• Schwartz is struggling, especially with speed rushers, but continues to get reps with the starters and will have every shot of winning the starting right tackle job. He's expected to secure it.
• Rookie linebacker James-Michael Johnson, another fourth-round pick, shined Monday in full pads, making plays in goal line, picking off two passes and continuing to impress.
• The players are off on Tuesday.
-
Observations through four days of Browns camp
Jul 31, 2012 -- 2:00pm
Notes, observations and some facts about the Browns through four training camp practices …
The sale: The best thing that coach Pat Shurmur could hope for at this point is for the sale to be completed quickly. That way, owner Jimmy Haslam and presumed president Joe Banner could meet with the coaches and players before the regular season and deliver this message: “You’re going to surprise everyone outside this building and have a great season. There are no eggshells in this place. You are not walking on them. Do your jobs and everything will take care of itself.”
The quarterbacks: Rookie Brandon Weeden is taking every rep with the first team offense. Colt McCoy comes in next, followed by Seneca Wallace. Weeden’s arm is not disappointing. He needs to make as many mistakes now so that he can correct them before Sept. 9. His play-fake ability is surprisingly good. Everyone on the field sees what he will bring to the offense. McCoy looks, well, like McCoy. I don’t see a significant change. His accuracy doesn’t look particularly improved. I’ve seen him dump off rather than release the ball to his wideouts, and saunter out of the pocket while struggling to make a decision. Wallace doesn’t do that as much. Thaddeus Lewis’ arm strength has been disappointing.
The running backs: Trent Richardson is going to have a huge impact. Montario Hardesty looks quicker, more assertive and energized. Brandon Jackson and Chris Ogbonnaya appear to be getting reduced reps, for now. While Owen Marecic is still the best lead-blocker, it appears Brad Smelley will be given the opportunity to state his case in that discipline.
The wide receivers: Josh Gordon is on the fast track to a starting role. Greg Little is leaner and more sure of his routes. Mohamed Massaquoi is stepping to the plate. Travis Benjamin has the most speed; the coaches have to figure how to use it. Josh Cooper reminds me of Brian Brennan. Jordan Norwood is facing an uphill battle. Josh Cribbs is OK with reduced reps at receiver; it’s not what took him to the Pro Bowl. Carlton Mitchell is losing time.
The tight ends: Ben Watson is not slowing down. Evan Moore’s time on the sideline is a big disappointment. Jordan Cameron is taking advantage. Alex Smith is underrated everywhere but in the coaches’ meetings. Dan Gronkowski can play.
The offensive linemen: Oniel Cousins is not going to give up the starting right tackle job without a fight. Mitchell Schwartz, a fast learner, will benefit immensely from a healthy camp against Jabaal Sheard every day. Ryan Miller is getting time at backup left tackle. Jason Pinkston and Shawn Lauvao are not going to be a problem, at this rate.
The defensive linemen: Scott Paxson and Brian Schaefering are gritty and experienced and are playing better than a year ago. John Hughes and Billy Winn should not be rushed into the starting lineup if not ready. Sheard needs to be more diverse in his rush schemes. Frostee Rucker looks like a 100 percent improvement as a sealer of the right edge in the running game. An undrafted rookie from Florida, William Green, looks like an intriguing prospect. Marcus Benard needs to get more comfortable with his hand down. It will be interesting to see Emmanuel Stephens’ growth at the end of camp.
The linebackers: Chris Gocong and D’Qwell Jackson don’t have to prove anything in this camp; just stay healthy. Scott Fujita’s professional attitude has to rub off on everyone. James-Michael Johnson is being extremely active and giving Kaluka Maiava a run for his money as the replacement to Fujita, if suspended. Craig Robertson is a feisty LB.
Defensive backs: Joe Haden looks superb. Same with Eric Hagg. The new practice rules will benefit Sheldon Brown at this stage of his career. T.J. Ward has been active. My gut feeling is the Browns are strongest right now with Dimitri Patterson as a nickel back and Brown retaining his starting spot. I’m waiting for Buster Skrine to step it up in the games.
Special teams: I’m noticing more detailed attention here. The team appears to be shifting its philosophy and asking Phil Dawson to swing 5-irons instead of 8-irons. They’re going with length over hang time this year.
By Tony Grossi
-
which qb is throwing all the interceptions?
i mean do they even keep stats at training camp? just saw in another article that thi slinebacker from nevada looks good and had some interceptions. well who's throwing the picks?
-
Quietly in background
Browns training camp: news, notes and observations from practice
By Nate Ulrich Published: August 1, 2012
Quarterback Colt McCoy, the incumbent starter, spoke to the media for the first time since training camp started last week.
“You guys never ask for me,” McCoy told reporters. “I miss you guys.”
Yes, rookie Brandon Weeden has replaced McCoy in more than one way. Not only is Weeden taking the snaps with the first-team offense and in line to be named the starter in the near future, but he and running back Trent Richardson are also frequently propped in front of cameras as the faces of the Browns’ revamped offense.
McCoy is clearly no longer the Browns’ guy like he was a year ago, when he entered camp as the No. 1 quarterback
“Well, that doesn’t mean you don’t come out and compete and make yourself better,” McCoy said. “I’ve taken all snaps with the second group, and I’m still competing. That’s what I’m supposed to do, and I think that’s making our football team better.”
McCoy and Weeden completed several touchdown passes today during red-zone drills. Free safety Usama Young intercepted a pass from McCoy in a session of seven-on-seven, but Shurmur said McCoy has shown improvement during his second year in the West Coast offense.
“Colt’s doing great,” Shurmur said. “I think he’s continuing to improve. I’m seeing him do things in this camp that he didn’t do a year ago, and he’s getting more comfortable within our system and he’s coming to work every day and working hard. I think he’s doing a good job.
“I just think he’s more comfortable in the progressions. If it doesn’t go to No. 1 or No. 2, he’s throwing it to 3 instead of taking off and running. Those types of things -- commanding the huddle, knowing what his receivers can do and where he can put the football.”
Still, McCoy’s future has been enveloped by uncertainty. He could be moved at some point during the preseason.
“I can’t control anything other than coming out here and getting better,” McCoy said.
Standing out
One of McCoy’s touchdown passes was caught by rookie wide receiver Travis Benjamin. The 5-foot-10, 175-pound Benjamin reached in front of defensive back Emanuel Davis and grabbed the pass in the front corner of the end zone.
“Even though I might be small in size, I’ve been playing football ever since I was young. Mostly all the guys have been bigger than me, so I’ve just gotta keep that mindset that I’ve gotta play big.
“That’s all a part of football – being physical. There’s not one player on the field that’s not physical. Every play is contact, so I’m used to it. I’m more than just a fast guy.”
Shurmur agrees. Benjamin’s performance has stood out since the Browns began practicing in pads on Sunday.
“I anticipated with his natural size that he might get banged around and be less efficient, but he’s done a great job,” Shurmur said. “I think he handles the traffic pretty well, and you could see today he caught the ball in contested situations extremely well. We knew he had the skill and ability to play in this league, and at least to this point, he’s doing a good job of improving his game.”
After the Browns drafted Benjamin in the fourth round (100th overall) in April, Shurmur said he thought Benjamin could become a significant contributor as a rookie. Even though the Browns drafted rookie wide receiver Josh Gordon in the second round of the supplemental draft on July 12, Shurmur can foresee Benjamin making an impact this year.
“Absolutely,” Shurmur said. “I think both of those guys [benjamin and Gordon], if they progress like they’re doing at the pace they’re going now, then I think they’ll be major contributors. Both those guys.”
Golden opportunity
Second-year tight end Jordan Cameron continued to shine. He caught touchdown passes from Weeden, McCoy and Seneca Wallace in red-zone drills.
Shurmur said Cameron will get ample opportunities to prove himself in preseason games.
“I think he needs to get lots of reps in the preseason games, and he will,” Shurmur said. “He’ll be a guy that can play the Y or the tight end position and then also the second tight end position in two-tight end sets. He’ll play quite a bit in the preseason for sure.”
Cameron has been working with the first-team offense in double-tight end sets while Evan Moore has been sidelined with an undisclosed injury.
Injury report
Frostee Rucker, the projected starter at right defensive end, missed practice with an undisclosed injury. Shurmur said it’s not serious.
“He won’t be out long,” Rucker said. “He missed today. He’s OK. We’ll evaluate him. He’ll be back soon.”
Moore, defensive tackles Ahtyba Rubin (pelvis) and Phil Taylor (pectoral muscle), fullback Eddie Williams (undisclosed), wide receiver Carlton Mitchell (leg) continued to sit out.
Shurmur said Moore will be back soon. He said Williams “probably won’t be out there for a while.”
Filling in
With Rubin out, defensive tackle Kiante Tripp took his spot with the first-team defense. Brian Schaefering filled that role in previous practices.
When asked what Tripp did to earn reps with the first unit, Shurmur said, “He maybe bought somebody lunch. I don’t know.”
Meanwhile, Marcus Benard replaced Rucker at right end with the first-team defense.
“He’s doing a good job,” Shurmur said of Benard. “He’s way further ahead this year than he was last year. Remember, he tried to put on a bunch of weight. In my opinion, it was not good weight based on his frame. He was in much better shape when he reported [to camp this year], and I think he’s doing a good job. Again, preseason games will be important for him as well.”
-
U even keeping up?
That was monday....
no guess not. sorry i don't sit inside a satellite booth beaming browns training camp info directly into your 'most informed cleveland browns fan' management booth. but if you have anything new you'd like to add that'd be great.
until then i guess you can be the same condescending asshole that you have come to be.
do your boyfriend and me a favor and switch to non-caffeinated coffee and go back to blowin spliffs.
-
Id apologize, but ur baiting mik. Problem is, u type shit without knowing what ur talking about.
While u dwell on a couple picks weeden threw in practice, you missed an entire camp day where the offense....colt included....tore it up.
But keep dwelling on a few bad passes to help your colt flame burning.
-
I for one love the reports being posted from camp, especially being so far from the action. Keep up the good work fellas.
-
Quietly in background
Browns training camp: news, notes and observations from practice
By Nate Ulrich Published: August 1, 2012
Quarterback Colt McCoy, the incumbent starter, spoke to the media for the first time since training camp started last week.
“You guys never ask for me,” McCoy told reporters. “I miss you guys.”
Yes, rookie Brandon Weeden has replaced McCoy in more than one way. Not only is Weeden taking the snaps with the first-team offense and in line to be named the starter in the near future, but he and running back Trent Richardson are also frequently propped in front of cameras as the faces of the Browns’ revamped offense.
McCoy is clearly no longer the Browns’ guy like he was a year ago, when he entered camp as the No. 1 quarterback
“Well, that doesn’t mean you don’t come out and compete and make yourself better,” McCoy said. “I’ve taken all snaps with the second group, and I’m still competing. That’s what I’m supposed to do, and I think that’s making our football team better.”
McCoy and Weeden completed several touchdown passes today during red-zone drills. Free safety Usama Young intercepted a pass from McCoy in a session of seven-on-seven, but Shurmur said McCoy has shown improvement during his second year in the West Coast offense.
“Colt’s doing great,” Shurmur said. “I think he’s continuing to improve. I’m seeing him do things in this camp that he didn’t do a year ago, and he’s getting more comfortable within our system and he’s coming to work every day and working hard. I think he’s doing a good job.
“I just think he’s more comfortable in the progressions. If it doesn’t go to No. 1 or No. 2, he’s throwing it to 3 instead of taking off and running. Those types of things -- commanding the huddle, knowing what his receivers can do and where he can put the football.”
Still, McCoy’s future has been enveloped by uncertainty. He could be moved at some point during the preseason.
“I can’t control anything other than coming out here and getting better,” McCoy said.
Standing out
One of McCoy’s touchdown passes was caught by rookie wide receiver Travis Benjamin. The 5-foot-10, 175-pound Benjamin reached in front of defensive back Emanuel Davis and grabbed the pass in the front corner of the end zone.
“Even though I might be small in size, I’ve been playing football ever since I was young. Mostly all the guys have been bigger than me, so I’ve just gotta keep that mindset that I’ve gotta play big.
“That’s all a part of football – being physical. There’s not one player on the field that’s not physical. Every play is contact, so I’m used to it. I’m more than just a fast guy.”
Shurmur agrees. Benjamin’s performance has stood out since the Browns began practicing in pads on Sunday.
“I anticipated with his natural size that he might get banged around and be less efficient, but he’s done a great job,” Shurmur said. “I think he handles the traffic pretty well, and you could see today he caught the ball in contested situations extremely well. We knew he had the skill and ability to play in this league, and at least to this point, he’s doing a good job of improving his game.”
After the Browns drafted Benjamin in the fourth round (100th overall) in April, Shurmur said he thought Benjamin could become a significant contributor as a rookie. Even though the Browns drafted rookie wide receiver Josh Gordon in the second round of the supplemental draft on July 12, Shurmur can foresee Benjamin making an impact this year.
“Absolutely,” Shurmur said. “I think both of those guys [benjamin and Gordon], if they progress like they’re doing at the pace they’re going now, then I think they’ll be major contributors. Both those guys.”
Golden opportunity
Second-year tight end Jordan Cameron continued to shine. He caught touchdown passes from Weeden, McCoy and Seneca Wallace in red-zone drills.
Shurmur said Cameron will get ample opportunities to prove himself in preseason games.
“I think he needs to get lots of reps in the preseason games, and he will,” Shurmur said. “He’ll be a guy that can play the Y or the tight end position and then also the second tight end position in two-tight end sets. He’ll play quite a bit in the preseason for sure.”
Cameron has been working with the first-team offense in double-tight end sets while Evan Moore has been sidelined with an undisclosed injury.
Injury report
Frostee Rucker, the projected starter at right defensive end, missed practice with an undisclosed injury. Shurmur said it’s not serious.
“He won’t be out long,” Rucker said. “He missed today. He’s OK. We’ll evaluate him. He’ll be back soon.”
Moore, defensive tackles Ahtyba Rubin (pelvis) and Phil Taylor (pectoral muscle), fullback Eddie Williams (undisclosed), wide receiver Carlton Mitchell (leg) continued to sit out.
Shurmur said Moore will be back soon. He said Williams “probably won’t be out there for a while.”
Filling in
With Rubin out, defensive tackle Kiante Tripp took his spot with the first-team defense. Brian Schaefering filled that role in previous practices.
When asked what Tripp did to earn reps with the first unit, Shurmur said, “He maybe bought somebody lunch. I don’t know.”
Meanwhile, Marcus Benard replaced Rucker at right end with the first-team defense.
“He’s doing a good job,” Shurmur said of Benard. “He’s way further ahead this year than he was last year. Remember, he tried to put on a bunch of weight. In my opinion, it was not good weight based on his frame. He was in much better shape when he reported [to camp this year], and I think he’s doing a good job. Again, preseason games will be important for him as well.”
Quietly in background
Browns training camp: news, notes and observations from practice
By Nate Ulrich Published: August 1, 2012
Quarterback Colt McCoy, the incumbent starter, spoke to the media for the first time since training camp started last week.
“You guys never ask for me,” McCoy told reporters. “I miss you guys.”
This literally made me laugh out loud at work. I can just imagine a lil dejected Colt talking to the media saying that. If you want we can have your dad talk to the media about asking you more questions.
I'm joking, but the fact is he got his shot and was replaced by someone better. I for one would love to keep him around as the back-up because I know he's going to give it 110% even mostly sitting on the sidelines.
-
Id apologize, but ur baiting mik. Problem is, u type shit without knowing what ur talking about.
While u dwell on a couple picks weeden threw in practice, you missed an entire camp day where the offense....colt included....tore it up.
But keep dwelling on a few bad passes to help your colt flame burning.
Id apologize, but ur baiting mik. Problem is, u type shit without knowing what ur talking about.
While u dwell on a couple picks weeden threw in practice, you missed an entire camp day where the offense....colt included....tore it up.
But keep dwelling on a few bad passes to help your colt flame burning.
that's why i come to this forum. to get info not available anywhere else. i'm not dwelling on a couple of picks weeden threw (because i didn't know who threw the picks) i was commenting on the subject because of the article about a LB i've never heard of doing good in camp. WTF? they glorified the kid saying how amazing he looks but no mention of weeden throwing bad passes or not knowing where the receiver was supposed to be etc. etc. i have no allegience to any ONE player on this team. sure i would throw a smart car through a wall if they ever tried to trade or fuck with haden or thomas but no ONE is bigger than the team. if weeden is the man....so be it. but believe you and me if it was mccoy who threw the ints it would an article within itself.
you can't get the fact wrapped around your little raisin of a mind that the only problem i had with the weeden pick is i thought it was a wasted pick, considering the 2+ years holmgren wasted on mccoy and his evaluation years. there wouldn't be another strong armed big 12 QB available next year who can trip over his own big clown shoes?
i don't care if we bring in oil can boyd, high as hell to throw the ball. just start winning games. until then i'll continue to voice my opinion and if you don't like it you can put me on ignore (pleez do) or shut the fuck up.
how does it feel though that YOUR man of the future who'll "build this team into a winner" is about to get booted out of cleveland where he can land somewhere in the northwest where the fish is nice and fresh and so clean? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hee hee.
-
Training Camp Article From Grossi
http://espncleveland.com/commo...hp?m=49&post_id=2611
Return of the fade: I saw Brandon Weeden take a three-step drop inside the 20-yard line, float the artsiest pass an NFL quarterback can make to the left corner of the end zone, watched Josh Gordon soar above a defender, higher than I’ve seen a Browns receiver leap, snatch the ball in extremely large, soft hands attached to arms long as vines, and land his feet lightly in bounds – tap tap -- like an Olympic gymnast.
And I closed my eyes and I swear I heard the great Pat Summerall calling the play.
“Weeden. Gordon. Touchdown.”
I see this fade pass being unstoppable some day. Like it was at Oklahoma State for Weeden and Justin Blackmon. Twelve of the pair’s 39 career touchdowns as OSU teammates were perfectly-thrown Weeden lobs to Blackmon on the fade pass.
“Me and Blackmon just had a knack,” Weeden told me. “We never practiced it. We just went and I’d throw it to the back of the corner and he’d catch it. I’d throw to a spot, he’d use his body. It was like clockwork. It was easy for us.
Red zone hopes: Here’s the thing: Blackmon is 6-1 and 210 pounds with a 35-inch vertical jump. Gordon is 6-3, 225 pounds, with a 36-inch vertical. A Browns source told me the team evaluated Gordon as a better NFL receiver prospect than Blackmon, who was the fifth pick overall of the 2012 draft by Jacksonville.
“Gordon’s really good at it,” Weeden said of going up for the fade pass, or lob. “He’s bigger than Blackmon. So he can use his body to shield those guys off.”
Gordon said, “The fade route is something I had a lot of practice on, well, since middle school. I was the tallest wide receiver all the time, so (it’s) just go and get it.”
Having viewed an Oklahoma State-produced highlight video of every Weeden-to-Blackmon career touchdown play, I asked coach Pat Shurmur at the June minicamp if he was excited about the prospect of re-introducing the fade pass to the Browns’ red-zone play repertoire.
At the time, he said, “We tried to throw fades early in the (2011) year and we didn’t hit on them on a percentage high enough. The slant (pattern) means a lot more if (opponents) have to defend the fade, and in our offense we like to throw slants.”
Shurmur seemed to be saying that now that he had a quarterback who could execute the pass, yes, he’d love to revisit the option of the fade.
And that was before the arrival of Gordon.
Get it done: I contend that if an NFL team can’t execute a simple fade pass in the end zone, it can’t be competitive.
How many times in the last 10 years have we seen the Browns, stationed inside the opponent’s 20-yard line, throw short of the end zone? It is maddening, deflating and repulsive, really, to see dump-offs to backs or tight ends stopped short of the goal line time and time again. Three points instead of seven invariably means another loss is in the offing.
“I think the fade, you know, it can be a good play if you have a guy that is a mismatch size-wise or what-not,” Shurmur said. “It’s something I think is important to have in your red zone package, but from that standpoint, too, they can take that away and that’s why you have all of the route combinations.
“Just by his natural size, (Gordon) should have the potential to be a pretty good fade runner.”
I say practice it five minutes a day, minimum, and use it, and just dare defenses to stop it. When executed properly, the fade is a low-risk, high-reward little pass. The quarterback lofts the ball where only the receiver can catch it. The worst that can happen is an incompletion out of the end zone.
From what I saw on Wednesday, this should be a staple of the Browns’ red zone package.
Weeden. Gordon. Touchdown.
-
thanks for your continued updates.
i won't comment any further as i might get flamed by choco.
-
Training Camp Article From Grossi
****************************
That's all I needed to read. Skipped out of the rest....@@
-
Training Camp Article From Grossi
****************************
That's all I needed to read. Skipped out of the rest....@@
-
I love the statement in bold from our new owner.........This may be the break we have all been waiting for. God knows we deserve it!
"The Browns announced tonight owner Randy Lerner has agreed to sell a majority stake in the team to Jimmy Haslam, CEO of Pilot Flying J. The sale must be approved by the NFL
“This is a very exciting time for my family and me,” Haslam said in the news release. “To own such a storied franchise as the Cleveland Browns, with its rich tradition and history, is a dream come true. We are committed to keeping the team in Cleveland and seeing it get back to the elite of the NFL – something all Browns fans want and deserve. We plan to bring relentless dedication and hard work to every aspect of this organization, and we look forward to getting to know this team and community as quickly as possible. Our family is committed to becoming an integral part of the Cleveland community. We also want to thank Randy Lerner for his friendship, counsel and support during this process.”
Lerner released the following statement:
On behalf of my family and as trustee for the Lerner Family Trust, which holds the shares of the Cleveland Browns, I have agreed to sell the Browns to Jimmy Haslam and his family.
I was approached regarding Mr. Haslam’s interest several weeks ago. While as a fiduciary I have always felt it was my responsibility to listen to offers, I had not been approached with a proposal that felt as natural and complete as Mr. Haslam’s. He had done a lot of work on the Browns and the City of Cleveland and first and foremost gave me his personal assurance the team would remain in Cleveland.
As I was at first overwhelmed, I asked for a few days to consider the proposal during which time I consulted with my mother and sister. Over this short period we agreed that the proposal was strong, the buyers made sense and the time was right for us to move on.
Going forward, we anticipate that the League will meet and vote on the deal and the closing is expected to follow shortly thereafter. During this time the organization will operate as it has in the past with all senior executives in place.
While a statement like this is certainly part of the process, it couldn’t possibly capture my feelings towards the Browns and the many people whom I feel very strong about. Those feelings therefore will need to be expressed in person. Notwithstanding, I feel a deep debt of gratitude to the loyal and passionate fan base, as well as the people I’ve met and worked with over the years. It has been a privilege to be involved with the Cleveland Browns and my only hope is that the Haslam family has the best of luck and that the Browns are restored to their rightful place among NFL Champions."
-
Just based off of what I am reading on Twitter today.
GOCONG HAS SERIOUS INJURY. Happened during goal line when Jordan Cameron was coming down from a catch. Thought Jordan landed on his leg but closer look to video suggests that Gocong was going down in pain before Jordan landed. Possible heel injury, more than likely a Achelies tear. Replacements are JMJ and Maivia.
Young LB depth still looking good beyong JMJ. LJ Fort and Craig Robertson are actually having good camps which is surprising. Craig Rovertson was a practice squad pick up in December last season. Fort is the supper athletic UDFA we picked up out of the Div 1 AA Northern Iowa.
Joe Haden having great day. Went up and had an INT against Wallace. Grabbed ball at the highest point of his jump with hand has extended as possible. True ball hawk play.
Skrine apparently blew Oneil Cousins (RT) right the fuck up on a run play, plastered him on his ass, and opened up the side to stop the play. Pciture that shit. 175 little Skrine blew up 320 RT Cousins. Got the defense all jacked up.
Watson is out today for whatever reason (didn't see why) and Jordan Cameron took over as the starting #1 TE. That is a great sign. On top of this I have been reading the Moore being out has really hurt him, likely that Cameron has permentally passed him on the depth chart or at least it is Camerons job to lose. Alex Smith isn't impressing but isn't looking like shit (could still be unplaced by Smelley but Smelley is getting most of his time in at FB during camp). Watson in previous days has actually looked fast and explosive off the line, a good sign considering his age. Surprisingly I have heard good things about Gronk. Aparently this guy can play. TE looks like the strongest position and come cut time hard decisions will have to be made.
Weeden and Cooper showing some of that chemistry we have been talking about. Cooper got a shot on 1st team in the slot and they connected with a perfect pass on a deep post pattern.
Ryan Miller is working with the 2nd team line, but he has been getting work at both LT and RT all of camp. Might finally have a true back LT on the team.
Sheard INT off of Fujita deflection. Look like he's going to get caught and then WOOOP hands off to TJ Ward for the TD.
-
Thanks for the updates^^^^ hows is the other lb acho looking in camp?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login