Art Modell
-
Modell's 2 bad acts outweigh any good he ever did.
Firing Paul Brown and moving the team sealed his fate
Modell's 2 bad acts outweigh any good he ever did.
Firing Paul Brown and moving the team sealed his fate
Yea, that would be like saying: we should judge OJ Simpson on how well he ran the football....on the field or through airports. Not on whether he may have killed his ex-wife and another or on the fact that he committed armed robbery.
-
Bullshit, you don't know dick. He moved the team because he lost money from the Indians moving from the stadium. Cleveland voters overwhelmingly approved the aforementioned tax issue to remodel Cleveland Stadium. It was purely about money asshole.
Kosar, I was wondering- didnt Modell want a new stadium like the Indians got along with further concession and parking revenues? The city wanted to call his bluff and offered the remodel instead?
I guess I was like you when I heard the news of his passing, but kind of want to learn more about the man himself and the thought processes he went through.
condolences to the Modell family - peace
Hope for a respectful moment of rememberance if its done Sunday...
Kosar, I was wondering- didnt Modell want a new stadium like the Indians got along with further concession and parking revenues? The city wanted to call his bluff and offered the remodel instead?
It was not the city that came up with the remodel proposal (which was patterned along the lines of the remodeling of the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville...which by the way, is the stadium the Jags use to this day), it was proposed by Modell himself.
I guess I was like you when I heard the news of his passing, but kind of want to learn more about the man himself and the thought processes he went through.
condolences to the Modell family - peace
Hope for a respectful moment of rememberance if its done Sunday...
-
Bottom Line....Final Word on Modell:
The guy was dead to me long ago, particularly after he gave up control of the Ravens. So, to me, personally, his actual physical demise is basically irrelevent.
Let's play some football.
-
So? You think that electing a black man President is as notorious as those other events?
Maybe THAT comment of yours is a true revelation about you. -The Gipper.
not to me. but a historical event anyways. no. i'm not a right wing money grubbing weasel. so a black president to me was a good thing.
i bet ya YOU never thought YOU"D see it in YOUR lifetime.
I don't know. I saw it in movies and TV where guys like Morgan Freeman and Dennis Haysbert and Danny Glover and maybe others had portrayed the President long before Obama was elected. So when it actually happened it didn't seem like that big of a deal.
I don't know. I saw it in movies and TV where guys like Morgan Freeman and Dennis Haysbert and Danny Glover and maybe others had portrayed the President long before Obama was elected. So when it actually happened it didn't seem like that big of a deal.
now that is funny. touche' sir.
-
Am I to presume then that all the atheists wanted Modell to die rich and make the Hall of Fame?
how do you know i'm aetheist asshole? just because i don't believe in following some mass religion where people are told what to do and how to act, doesn't mean i'm aetheist. it means i have a free will. i'm not going to go into a drawn out story of what i've seen in and out of church go on with you brainwashed cattle. it would take to long and you're not worth it. i believe in being good to every living being on this planet (unless you're someone trying to destroy this country) and not to be a scumbag. how's that?
i just thought wishing a man to be sufferingly broke at the time of his passing to be very christian of you. and to give another kick into his side, wish an honor that might well be bestowed upon him in the near future (HOF) to never happen, goes to show your true colors, johnny satan.
-
Am I to presume then that all the atheists wanted Modell to die rich and make the Hall of Fame?
how do you know i'm aetheist asshole? just because i don't believe in following some mass religion where people are told what to do and how to act, doesn't mean i'm aetheist. it means i have a free will. i'm not going to go into a drawn out story of what i've seen in and out of church go on with you brainwashed cattle. it would take to long and you're not worth it. i believe in being good to every living being on this planet (unless you're someone trying to destroy this country) and not to be a scumbag. how's that?
i just thought wishing a man to be sufferingly broke at the time of his passing to be very christian of you. and to give another kick into his side, wish an honor that might well be bestowed upon him in the near future (HOF) to never happen, goes to show your true colors, johnny satan.
how do you know i'm aetheist asshole? just because i don't believe in following some mass religion where people are told what to do and how to act, doesn't mean i'm aetheist. it means i have a free will. i'm not going to go into a drawn out story of what i've seen in and out of church go on with you brainwashed cattle. it would take to long and you're not worth it. i believe in being good to every living being on this planet (unless you're someone trying to destroy this country) and not to be a scumbag. how's that?
i just thought wishing a man to be sufferingly broke at the time of his passing to be very christian of you. and to give another kick into his side, wish an honor that might well be bestowed upon him in the near future (HOF) to never happen, goes to show your true colors, johnny satan.
Why would he be any more HOF worthy now when he wasn't before. Like I said, his actual physical demise is irrelevent.
-
Really? You got to be kidding! viewing a casket at M&T stadium in Baltimore Sunday sound like fun?
Really? You got to be kidding! viewing a casket at M&T stadium in Baltimore Sunday sound like fun?
One RPG from the stands would be loads of fun.
We still love ya Art. -
This was posted on a Ravens board when Robert Irsay died. Why should they expect any different treatment?

-
This was posted on a Ravens board when Robert Irsay died. Why should they expect any different treatment?

This was posted on a Ravens board when Robert Irsay died. Why should they expect any different treatment?

wow. better teach the person who posted that pic how to use photoshop. too fucking fake.
from someone that knows.
-
This was posted on a Ravens board when Robert Irsay died. Why should they expect any different treatment?

wow. better teach the person who posted that pic how to use photoshop. too fucking fake.
from someone that knows.
wow. better teach the person who posted that pic how to use photoshop. too fucking fake.
from someone that knows.
I don't know, it may not have been that bad. Here is the original...and you can listen to the whole album if you'd like.
It is probably one of the 10 greatest albums ever produced.
-
This was posted on a Ravens board when Robert Irsay died. Why should they expect any different treatment?

wow. better teach the person who posted that pic how to use photoshop. too fucking fake.
from someone that knows.
-
I know that most of the NFL will be observing a moment of silence, and the Browns almost had to do something. As Browns fans it would surely reflect bad on the city if the moment turned negative. Obviously I wasn't happy to see the team move, but it was a long time ago and it's time to move on. We have a team now (sort of) and I think being silent would show a lot more class on our part, than acting like idiots. Yeah, you probably don't care what I have to say but Art has passed and football is only a game. It means a lot to this city, but being obnoxious isn't going to change the past. A Lombardi trophy won't magically show up on our sidelines. Lastly, think of the impression it will leave on Jimmy Haslam. Do you think he'd enjoy seeing fans cheer the passing of a former owner? I guarantee he would lose a great deal of respect for the fans.
-
wow. better teach the person who posted that pic how to use photoshop. too fucking fake.
from someone that knows.
I don't know, it may not have been that bad. Here is the original...and you can listen to the whole album if you'd like.
It is probably one of the 10 greatest albums ever produced.
I don't know, it may not have been that bad. Here is the original...and you can listen to the whole album if you'd like.
It is probably one of the 10 greatest albums ever produced.
love the album. man was i dumb not to catch that. maybe it's because i haven't had a turntable for over ten years and all my vinyl has been replaced with cds and mp3s. nothing like the sound of vinyl though. the pic made it hard to see the people clearly. doesn't entwistle look like he's zippin his fly?
-
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-10-04/news/1998277064_1_modell-moved-to-baltimore-lerner
Interesting article saying Modell and Lerner conspired to move the Browns to Baltimore as early as 1985.
Then have Lerner take over a new franchise in Cleveland, as they would eventually do.
I almost feel ashamed that I don't have this burning passionate hatred for Art Modell.
The Browns left a long time ago and we've got them back now, I'm over it.
I think Modell is a historic NFL figure and should be in the HOF.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-10-04/news/1998277064_1_modell-moved-to-baltimore-lerner
Interesting article saying Modell and Lerner conspired to move the Browns to Baltimore as early as 1985.
Then have Lerner take over a new franchise in Cleveland, as they would eventually do.
I almost feel ashamed that I don't have this burning passionate hatred for Art Modell.
The Browns left a long time ago and we've got them back now, I'm over it.
I think Modell is a historic NFL figure and should be in the HOF.
I agree. He deserves the HOF.....he was a mover and shaker in owner circles. Much of todays NFL success is owed to Art and his talents and vision. TV contracts, league mergers, MNF....come on, that's big stuff.
If you don't agree, take off the HOMER hat for a few minutes.
Now he is dead. It's time to let it go and welcome him home.
-
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1998-10-04/news/1998277064_1_modell-moved-to-baltimore-lerner
Interesting article saying Modell and Lerner conspired to move the Browns to Baltimore as early as 1985.
Then have Lerner take over a new franchise in Cleveland, as they would eventually do.
I almost feel ashamed that I don't have this burning passionate hatred for Art Modell.
The Browns left a long time ago and we've got them back now, I'm over it.
I think Modell is a historic NFL figure and should be in the HOF.
I agree. He deserves the HOF.....he was a mover and shaker in owner circles. Much of todays NFL success is owed to Art and his talents and vision. TV contracts, league mergers, MNF....come on, that's big stuff.
If you don't agree, take off the HOMER hat for a few minutes.
Now he is dead. It's time to let it go and welcome him home.
'I agree. He deserves the HOF.....he was a mover and shaker in owner circles. Much of todays NFL success is owed to Art and his talents and vision. TV contracts, league mergers, MNF....come on, that's big stuff.
If you don't agree, take off the HOMER hat for a few minutes.
Now he is dead. It's time to let it go and welcome him home.
Basically agree with but a lot of baggage is discarded. He had sellouts for 35 years and leased the stadium for a dollar a year and could not fix the urinals! How could you go broke with a sweetheart deal like that? He painted the ,mud green and opposing teams called the field artificial dirt, how could he not afford to have a first class field. Most Browns games in the heyday were played in MUD.
So yes Ballpeen, I agree he deserves to be in the HOF for his innovations and workings to combine the two leagues and his TV and revenue sharing wizardry. As far as being an astute manager his reasons for leaving Cleveland he deserves a F. So he gets in the HOF for innovation with an asterisk that says he "failed to make money for the greatest franchise in football with a dollar a year stadium lease"
-
I dont think he deserves the HOF.
He does deserve a moment of silence - If not for respect for a deceased person, then atleast for the fact that it helps with energy conservation.
-
'I agree. He deserves the HOF.....he was a mover and shaker in owner circles. Much of todays NFL success is owed to Art and his talents and vision. TV contracts, league mergers, MNF....come on, that's big stuff.
If you don't agree, take off the HOMER hat for a few minutes.
Now he is dead. It's time to let it go and welcome him home.
Basically agree with but a lot of baggage is discarded. He had sellouts for 35 years and leased the stadium for a dollar a year and could not fix the urinals! How could you go broke with a sweetheart deal like that? He painted the ,mud green and opposing teams called the field artificial dirt, how could he not afford to have a first class field. Most Browns games in the heyday were played in MUD.
So yes Ballpeen, I agree he deserves to be in the HOF for his innovations and workings to combine the two leagues and his TV and revenue sharing wizardry. As far as being an astute manager his reasons for leaving Cleveland he deserves a F. So he gets in the HOF for innovation with an asterisk that says he "failed to make money for the greatest franchise in football with a dollar a year stadium lease"
'
Basically agree with but a lot of baggage is discarded. He had sellouts for 35 years and leased the stadium for a dollar a year and could not fix the urinals! How could you go broke with a sweetheart deal like that? He painted the ,mud green and opposing teams called the field artificial dirt, how could he not afford to have a first class field. Most Browns games in the heyday were played in MUD.
So yes Ballpeen, I agree he deserves to be in the HOF for his innovations and workings to combine the two leagues and his TV and revenue sharing wizardry. As far as being an astute manager his reasons for leaving Cleveland he deserves a F. So he gets in the HOF for innovation with an asterisk that says he "failed to make money for the greatest franchise in football with a dollar a year stadium lease"
I don't think it was as easy as that. We had a baseball infield out to about the 30 yard line. We couldn't sod it in soon enough to take hold because the baseball team was still using the facility, so there really wasn't anything that could be done about the mud other than hope it didn't rain.
I agree, I don't think he was the greatest business man in the world, but IMO the move was caused by the cities failure to address the needs of the Browns.
At any rate, it all worked out. Cleveland got a team and stadium, Baltimore got a team, everybody made money.
I was listening to Triv on the drive up yesterday...it made sense and I believe him when he said he has solid inside info....it was planned...Cleveland needed a stadium but the current location was the only place to put it and there were no real options for the Browns to play if a new stadium was erected. The Rubber Bowl as an example wouldn't work.
Baltimore got a team, we got a stadium and a team....we kept our name. Names go with teams, they don't stay with cities.
Nope, I don't blame Art for moving. Muni stadium was a money hole. It couldn't be fixed, it needed to be blown up.
-
You don't suddenly deserve HoF just because you died. Him moving them team in my mind contradicts all the good things he did for the NFL. His death doesn't change that in my mind. And while I think a moment of silence is fine, I know that there IS going to be barking in the stadium on Sunday. Not that there should be but that there will be.
-
this was posted on www.reddit.com/r/nfl and I thought you'd like to read it:
I can't believe the NFL, I can't help but think that Cleveland is just seen as a whipping post to the NFL leadership. They oversaw the Browns move and allowed it to happen. A move that was motivated by the owner being stupid with his business practices and was doing what he could to avoid bankruptcy. Because of his mistakes he decided to punish an entire fanbase and then ended up STILL having to sell the team a couple years later. Even with the amazing deal he got for moving the team he couldn't afford to keep it.
Many of you may say that he moved because Cleveland refused to give him a new stadium. Despite the "facts" the media is manufacturing after his death this is untrue. He was offered a spot in the Gateway project that gave the Indians a new field and the Cavs a new arena. He refused because he'd be expected to actually pay money for a lease instead of getting it basically free and bleeding the city and the Indians for more money. Source.
Many are also seeing reports from the media that Modell basically "let" us keep our history and team name out of the goodness of his heart. This is also untrue, the city had to fight him to keep them. He also broke a lease agreement and the city had to sue him to get him to honor his agreement there. Source.
The NFL then allowed friend and business partner of Modell, Al Lerner, to become the owner of the new team. This is a guy that actually assisted in the move of the original Browns so he could later become the owner of the new team.
Now that Modell has died I'd very much prefer if we could just move on. The only problem is that the media has changed the story on what has happened with the move. I don't know if this is under pressure from the NFL but what other reason would they have for trying to change history? Also, the NFL has stepped in and isn't allowing fans to just move on. Initially sources were saying that the Browns had no plans to honor Modell. Now, after an NFL message "asking" the teams to honor him in some, appropriate way the Browns are saying they'll be doing something in his honor. That sounds very much like the NFL is pressuring the Browns FO to do this. There's no proof of this and never will be but it's extremely suspicious. I'm not saying there shouldn't be a tribute because I hate him, I'm not going to include my opinion of the man in this post. I'm saying the NFL knows what kind of reaction the Cleveland fanbase will give and is still pressuring the Browns to do something. They know it will make us look like shit and they don't care. It won't be all Browns fans booing and making noise but in a silent stadium a couple thousand people yelling will be easily heard. They seem to like having a whipping boy around, it's good for media attention.
Sorry this rant got so long but it's getting ridiculous and I'm hoping people will try to see things from our point of view.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login