Skip to content

Rock Hall Nominations

The Browns Board
61 15 2.1k
  • I know this belongs in the barbershop forum, but we had a solid discussion a few months ago about this.

    The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2013 are in. This year's hopefuls are Albert King, Chic, Deep Purple, Donna Summer, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Kraftwerk, the Marvelettes, the Meters, N.W.A., Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Procol Harum, Public Enemy, Randy Newman and Rush. The top vote-getters will be inducted on April 18th, 2013 at the Nokia Theater L.A. live in Los Angeles.

    Meet the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

    For the first time, the public gets to vote alongside the artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. From now until December 5th, fans can vote on RollingStone.com for the nominees they'd like to see inducted. The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the more than 600 ballots that determine the Class of 2013. The results will be announced in mid-December.

    Vote for the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

    "The definition of 'rock & roll' means different things to different people, but as broad as the classifications may be, they all share a common love of the music," commented Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. "This year we again proudly put forth a fantastic array of groups and artists that span the entire genre that is 'rock & roll.'"

    Rush have been eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 1998, but this is their first time appearing on the ballot. Pioneering rap groups N.W.A and Public Enemy also both made the ballot in their first year of eligibility. If they are inducted, they will join fellow hip-hop acts Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Run-D.M.C. and the Beastie Boys in the Hall of Fame.

    The ceremony will be held in Los Angeles for the first time since 1993. It's usually held in New York at the Waldforf Astoria, but it was held in Cleveland in 1997, 2009 and 2012.

    Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rush-public-enemy-deep-purple-nominated-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-20121004#ixzz28LEIm3VH

    My thoughts: Rush, Heart, Deep Purple and Joan Jett all deserve to be in. Can't really stand Joan Jett, but lots of people like her. It's about damn time Rush got on the ballot, Madonna before them is a joke. I would bet that NWA and Public Enemy get enshrined in the coming decade.

    Anyways, get your vote on!

    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vote-for-the-2013-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-20121004

  • I know this belongs in the barbershop forum, but we had a solid discussion a few months ago about this.

    The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's Class of 2013 are in. This year's hopefuls are Albert King, Chic, Deep Purple, Donna Summer, Heart, Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, Kraftwerk, the Marvelettes, the Meters, N.W.A., Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Procol Harum, Public Enemy, Randy Newman and Rush. The top vote-getters will be inducted on April 18th, 2013 at the Nokia Theater L.A. live in Los Angeles.

    Meet the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

    For the first time, the public gets to vote alongside the artists, historians and music industry insiders of the Rock Hall voting body. From now until December 5th, fans can vote on RollingStone.com for the nominees they'd like to see inducted. The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the more than 600 ballots that determine the Class of 2013. The results will be announced in mid-December.

    Vote for the 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

    "The definition of 'rock & roll' means different things to different people, but as broad as the classifications may be, they all share a common love of the music," commented Joel Peresman, President and CEO of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation. "This year we again proudly put forth a fantastic array of groups and artists that span the entire genre that is 'rock & roll.'"

    Rush have been eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame since 1998, but this is their first time appearing on the ballot. Pioneering rap groups N.W.A and Public Enemy also both made the ballot in their first year of eligibility. If they are inducted, they will join fellow hip-hop acts Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Run-D.M.C. and the Beastie Boys in the Hall of Fame.

    The ceremony will be held in Los Angeles for the first time since 1993. It's usually held in New York at the Waldforf Astoria, but it was held in Cleveland in 1997, 2009 and 2012.

    Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/rush-public-enemy-deep-purple-nominated-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-20121004#ixzz28LEIm3VH

    My thoughts: Rush, Heart, Deep Purple and Joan Jett all deserve to be in. Can't really stand Joan Jett, but lots of people like her. It's about damn time Rush got on the ballot, Madonna before them is a joke. I would bet that NWA and Public Enemy get enshrined in the coming decade.

    Anyways, get your vote on!

    http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vote-for-the-2013-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-20121004

    @vaportrail said:

    I know this belongs in the barbershop forum, but we had a solid discussion a few months ago about this.

    My thoughts: Rush, Heart, Deep Purple and Joan Jett all deserve to be in. Can't really stand Joan Jett, but lots of people like her. It's about damn time Rush got on the ballot, Madonna before them is a joke. I would bet that NWA and Public Enemy get enshrined in the coming decade.

    Anyways, get your vote on!

    http://www.rollingst...uctees-20121004

    The top vote-getters will be inducted on April 18th, 2013 at the Nokia Theater L.A. live in Los Angeles. Sure am glad Cleveland got the Rock Hall.😠

  • My choices from this group would be: Deep Purple, Procul Harum, Heart, and Joan Jett.

    And I guess, Donna Summer (though I am not a disco fan).

    I am not a big fan of Newman and Rush, but I know they have their followings.

    I am not familiar with the work of Albert King, Chic, or The Meters, so I cannot judge. I just figure if I don't know much about them, they must not be all that and a bag of chips.

    I am not into rap, so I wouldn't go for the rappers, but, I recognize that the nominees in that genre, N.W.A. and Public Enemy are big names in rap, so if they get in, so be it.

    I think the Marvelettes were one of those middling black chick groups from the 50s/early 60s...but the big names of that category are already in so I don't know why a lower level group of that sort should make it.

    I guess if you are in to Euro Technopop, Kraftwerk would be a big name there. I just am not that impressed overall with them.

    And I guess if you are into the blues, which I do like some, then Paul Butterfield would be an appropriate choice. There are few if any pure blues bands in the RRHOF, so I guess they would be on my next level.

    But, my question is: Aren't there some incredibly much more worthy names that are missing from this list?

    I bet we could come up with a couple dozen.

  • Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:

    B-52s

    Bon Jovi

    The Cars

    Cat Stevens

    Hall and Oates

    Cheap Trick

    Chicago

    Dire Straits

    The Doobie Bros.

    INXS

    Electic Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    The Eurythmics

    Harry Nillson

    Jan and Dean

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    KISS

    The Monkees

    Moody Blues

    Motley Crue

    Peter Gabriel

    Peter, Paul and Mary

    Roxy Music

    Soundgarden

    Steppenwolf

    Stevie Ray Vaughn

    YES

    The Zombies.

    Others?

  • Even though I live in Cleveland, I haven't been to the Rock Hall since I was in All-City choir in 5th grade.

    Public Enemy, Rush, and Heart should get in though.

  • Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:

    B-52s

    Bon Jovi

    The Cars

    Cat Stevens

    Hall and Oates

    Cheap Trick

    Chicago

    Dire Straits

    The Doobie Bros.

    INXS

    Electic Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    The Eurythmics

    Harry Nillson

    Jan and Dean

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    KISS

    The Monkees

    Moody Blues

    Motley Crue

    Peter Gabriel

    Peter, Paul and Mary

    Roxy Music

    Soundgarden

    Steppenwolf

    Stevie Ray Vaughn

    YES

    The Zombies.

    Others?

    @the-gipper said:

    Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:

    B-52s

    Bon Jovi

    The Cars

    Cat Stevens

    Hall and Oates

    Cheap Trick

    Chicago

    Dire Straits

    The Doobie Bros.

    INXS

    Electic Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    The Eurythmics

    Harry Nillson

    Jan and Dean

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    KISS

    The Monkees

    Moody Blues

    Motley Crue

    Peter Gabriel

    Peter, Paul and Mary

    Roxy Music

    Soundgarden

    Steppenwolf

    Stevie Ray Vaughn

    YES

    The Zombies.

    Others?

    Of that group, I'd say Chicago, Dire Straits, E.L.O., Stevie Ray, and maybe Doobie, that's it. Harry Nillson needs to be forgotten, he sucked. If Bon Jovi ever gets in, the world may turn very rainbowy, very quickly. Cat Stevens will never get in, for that won't fly in today's society. Tull, too weird. Journey, too cheesy. Speaking of cheese in large amounts, B-52's, The Cars, and The Monkees; especially The Monkees. Peter, Paul, and Mary, though they may have dug rock and roll music, they certainly did not play it. Soundgarden won't get in for another ten years, for their music is still somewhat mainstream somehow.

  • Bon Jovi will get a nomination in the next decade. I'd agree with Hall and Oates, ELO, Jethro Tull and Moody Blues.

    I think if Rush gets in, that opens the door for Emerson, Lake & Palmer as well as YES, but I don't think they get in for maybe another 5-10 years.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:

    B-52s

    Bon Jovi

    The Cars

    Cat Stevens

    Hall and Oates

    Cheap Trick

    Chicago

    Dire Straits

    The Doobie Bros.

    INXS

    Electic Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    The Eurythmics

    Harry Nillson

    Jan and Dean

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    KISS

    The Monkees

    Moody Blues

    Motley Crue

    Peter Gabriel

    Peter, Paul and Mary

    Roxy Music

    Soundgarden

    Steppenwolf

    Stevie Ray Vaughn

    YES

    The Zombies.

    Others?

    Of that group, I'd say Chicago, Dire Straits, E.L.O., Stevie Ray, and maybe Doobie, that's it. Harry Nillson needs to be forgotten, he sucked. If Bon Jovi ever gets in, the world may turn very rainbowy, very quickly. Cat Stevens will never get in, for that won't fly in today's society. Tull, too weird. Journey, too cheesy. Speaking of cheese in large amounts, B-52's, The Cars, and The Monkees; especially The Monkees. Peter, Paul, and Mary, though they may have dug rock and roll music, they certainly did not play it. Soundgarden won't get in for another ten years, for their music is still somewhat mainstream somehow.

    @naplesbrowns420 said:

    Of that group, I'd say Chicago, Dire Straits, E.L.O., Stevie Ray, and maybe Doobie, that's it. Harry Nillson needs to be forgotten, he sucked. If Bon Jovi ever gets in, the world may turn very rainbowy, very quickly. Cat Stevens will never get in, for that won't fly in today's society. Tull, too weird. Journey, too cheesy. Speaking of cheese in large amounts, B-52's, The Cars, and The Monkees; especially The Monkees. Peter, Paul, and Mary, though they may have dug rock and roll music, they certainly did not play it. Soundgarden won't get in for another ten years, for their music is still somewhat mainstream somehow.

    Since when was "weird" bad in the world or Rock n Roll. Tull is weird, outstandingly weird. As are many rock acts. So, weird is NOT a qualification to keep them out.

    As for cheesy....ABBA is in the RRHOF. How the effing hell can you get any cheesier than that. So, clearly, cheesy is not a qualification to keep someone out.

    Peter, Paul and Mary may not play rock n roll music, but then neither do the disco or rap acts, or some of the other genres that have representatives in there. And the RRHOF does have Pete Seger, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan and other folk acts in it..Simon and Garfunkel, so clearly being a folk act is no disqualification.

    Soundgarden may not get in because they just are sorta considered fourth rate material on the grunge genre behind Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.

  • Bon Jovi will get a nomination in the next decade. I'd agree with Hall and Oates, ELO, Jethro Tull and Moody Blues.

    I think if Rush gets in, that opens the door for Emerson, Lake & Palmer as well as YES, but I don't think they get in for maybe another 5-10 years.

    @vaportrail said:

    Bon Jovi will get a nomination in the next decade. I'd agree with Hall and Oates, ELO, Jethro Tull and Moody Blues.

    I think if Rush gets in, that opens the door for Emerson, Lake & Palmer as well as YES, but I don't think they get in for maybe another 5-10 years.

    Are you trying to say that Rush is considered a "Progressive Rock" act along the lines of Tull/Yes/ELP/Moody Blues?

    If so, you are the first person I have ever heard claim them to be of that genre.

  • Well, whip me with a wet noodle. I guess many do think of Rush as "Prog". I never envisioned it myself, but here is one version of the top 100 Progressive rock acts:

    1. Yes

    2. King Crimson

    3. Genesis

    4. Emerson Lake & Palmer

    5. Pink Floyd

    6. Rush

    7. Jethro Tull

    8. Mothers of Invention

    9. Dream Theater

    10. Kraftwerk

    11. Traffic

    12. Dixie Dregs

    13. Gentle Giant

    14. Van der Graaf Generator

    15. The Moody Blues

    16. Marillion

    17. Frank Zappa

    18. Magma

    19. Gong

    20. Kansas

    21. Tangerine Dream

    22. Caravan

    23. Mahavishnu Orchestra

    24. The Soft Machine

    25. Family

    26. Hawkwind

    27. Mike Oldfield

    28. Uriah Heep

    29. Camel

    30. Rick Wakeman

    31. Peter Gabriel

    32. The Flower Kings

    33. Premiata Forneria Marconi

    34. The Strawbs

    35. Renaissance

    36. Can

    37. Goblin

    38. Wigwam

    39. Queensryche

    40. Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso

    41. Electric Light Orchestra

    42. King's X

    43. Anglagard

    44. Amon Düül

    45. Procol Harum

    46. Brian Eno

    47. Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band

    48. Eloy

    49. Porcupine Tree

    50. The Alan Parson's Project

    51. Bo Hansson

    52. The Beatles

    53. Spock's Beard

    54. Asia

    55. Vangelis

    56. Le Orme

    57. Tool

    58. Fate's Warning

    59. Ayreon

    60. Baryclay James Harvest

    61. Ange

    62. IQ

    63. Utopia

    64. Opeth

    65. Ozric Tentacles

    66. Symphony X

    67. Liquid Tension Experiment

    68. Transatlantic

    69. Steve Hackett

    70. Aphrodite's Child

    71. Focus

    72. Supertramp

    73. Adrian Belew

    74. California Guitar Trio

    75. Anekdoten

    76. Savatage

    77. Area

    78. Hatfield & the North

    79. Styx

    80. Happy The Man

    81. Nektar

    82. Henry Cow

    83. Robert Fripp

    84. Saga

    85. Primus

    86. Bozzio Levin Stevens

    87. Niacin

    88. The Nice

    89. Shadow Gallery

    90. UK

    91. The Mars Volta

    92. Atomic Rooster

    93. Birth Control

    94. Andromeda

    95. Pain of Salvation

    96. Comus

    97. Roxy Music

    98. Pendragon

    99. Rhapsody

    100. Stratovarius

    I have not heard of a lot of these....and I would probably disagree seriously with some of these rankings.

    (Any list that would put The Beatles 52d clearly has no clue.....the fact that the Beatles invented Prog rock of course does not even mean that they should be classified as such.)

  • My top 20 of Prog rock would be as follows. (I leave The Beatles out because that would be like saying God is a mortal human). I also leave out Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention because I don't think they are Prog. They are something, I'm not sure what though:

    1.Pink Floyd

    2. King Crimson

    3. Jethro Tull

    4. ELO

    5. Procul Harum

    6. Emerson, Lake, Palmer

    7. Genesis

    8. Roxy Music..and Eno (offshot)

    8.A Golden Earring

    9. Moody Blues

    10. Utopia/Todd Rundgren (I assume this is the Todd Rundgren band)

    11. Traffic

    12. Asia

    13. Kansas

    14. Peter Gabriel

    15. The Strawbs

    16. Uriah Heep

    17. Atomic Rooster

    18. Fripp

    19. Styx

    20. Tangerine Dream

    21. Rush

    22. 10cc

    23. Toto

  • I think prog, most generally defined, would be rock music that showcases technical proficiency, odd time signatures, as well as taking risks on songs that you will typically not see in the Billboard Top 100.

    Prog is my favorite genre, and here's my top 10. I am not a fan of metal, so bands like Symphony X and Opeth won't be on it.

    1. Pink Floyd

    2. Rush

    3. Genesis

    4. Dream Theater

    5. Jethro Tull

    6. Porcupine Tree

    7. Electric Light Orchestra

    8. Blackfield

    Two newer acts that I really, really like are 30 Seconds to Mars and Dirt Poor Robins. Not sure if I'd fit them on a top 10 list, but as of now, I can't think of any bands that deserve to be on my list more than those two.

  • well Deep Purple,Heart and Albert King get My vote...Albert King was a strong influence on many guitarists including Myself. Not to mention Ritchie Blackmore and Nancy Wilson who made many contributions to influencing an age of musicians like Myself in thier own right.

  • Yes to Rush,Jethro Tull,ELO, The Csrs,Dire Straits,Doobie Bros,Moody Blues,SteppenWolf among others...

    Didnt even know some of these werent in, Are Fleetwood Mac in??? Just saw Stevie Nicks the other night for her last performance and she was pretty amazaing...

  • Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:

    B-52s

    Bon Jovi

    The Cars

    Cat Stevens

    Hall and Oates

    Cheap Trick

    Chicago

    Dire Straits

    The Doobie Bros.

    INXS

    Electic Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    The Eurythmics

    Harry Nillson

    Jan and Dean

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    KISS

    The Monkees

    Moody Blues

    Motley Crue

    Peter Gabriel

    Peter, Paul and Mary

    Roxy Music

    Soundgarden

    Steppenwolf

    Stevie Ray Vaughn

    YES

    The Zombies.

    Others?

    @the-gipper said:

    Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:

    B-52s

    Bon Jovi

    The Cars

    Cat Stevens

    Hall and Oates

    Cheap Trick

    Chicago

    Dire Straits

    The Doobie Bros.

    INXS

    Electic Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    The Eurythmics

    Harry Nillson

    Jan and Dean

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    KISS

    The Monkees

    Moody Blues

    Motley Crue

    Peter Gabriel

    Peter, Paul and Mary

    Roxy Music

    Soundgarden

    Steppenwolf

    Stevie Ray Vaughn

    YES

    The Zombies.

    Others?

    We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.

    Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.

    Rodgers is the voice of 70's R&R

  • @the-gipper said:

    Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:

    B-52s

    Bon Jovi

    The Cars

    Cat Stevens

    Hall and Oates

    Cheap Trick

    Chicago

    Dire Straits

    The Doobie Bros.

    INXS

    Electic Light Orchestra

    Emerson, Lake and Palmer

    The Eurythmics

    Harry Nillson

    Jan and Dean

    Jethro Tull

    Journey

    KISS

    The Monkees

    Moody Blues

    Motley Crue

    Peter Gabriel

    Peter, Paul and Mary

    Roxy Music

    Soundgarden

    Steppenwolf

    Stevie Ray Vaughn

    YES

    The Zombies.

    Others?

    We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.

    Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.

    Rodgers is the voice of 70's R&R

    @ballpeen said:

    We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.

    Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.

    He did a tour or two with queen, but he's not the lead singer of queen. He was terrible, by the way, just like many people trying to tackle Freddie mercury's parts. Unsatisfactory. The guy from foo fighters (not Dave grohl) does Freddie better.

  • RRHOF is a very subjective thing. Everybody's musical tastes seem to vary.

    If it was me, the whole shebang would have started with the Beatles, Elvis, Rolling Stones, The Who, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, & Pink Floyd.

    THEN, now who do we put in?

    I find it laughable that Joni Mitchell & Billy Joel got in before Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple, Alice Cooper & Kiss still aren't in. Has anybody ever been to a party/gathering where somebody said "crank up the Billy Joel, or Joni Mitchell? Don't get me wrong, those artists (Joel, Mitchell)have good tunes, but RRHOF worthy? Hmm

  • My top 20 of Prog rock would be as follows. (I leave The Beatles out because that would be like saying God is a mortal human). I also leave out Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention because I don't think they are Prog. They are something, I'm not sure what though:

    1.Pink Floyd

    2. King Crimson

    3. Jethro Tull

    4. ELO

    5. Procul Harum

    6. Emerson, Lake, Palmer

    7. Genesis

    8. Roxy Music..and Eno (offshot)

    8.A Golden Earring

    9. Moody Blues

    10. Utopia/Todd Rundgren (I assume this is the Todd Rundgren band)

    11. Traffic

    12. Asia

    13. Kansas

    14. Peter Gabriel

    15. The Strawbs

    16. Uriah Heep

    17. Atomic Rooster

    18. Fripp

    19. Styx

    20. Tangerine Dream

    21. Rush

    22. 10cc

    23. Toto

    @the-gipper said:

    My top 20 of Prog rock would be as follows. (I leave The Beatles out because that would be like saying God is a mortal human). I also leave out Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention because I don't think they are Prog. They are something, I'm not sure what though:

    1.Pink Floyd

    2. King Crimson

    3. Jethro Tull

    4. ELO

    5. Procul Harum

    6. Emerson, Lake, Palmer

    7. Genesis

    8. Roxy Music..and Eno (offshot)

    8.A Golden Earring

    9. Moody Blues

    10. Utopia/Todd Rundgren (I assume this is the Todd Rundgren band)

    11. Traffic

    12. Asia

    13. Kansas

    14. Peter Gabriel

    15. The Strawbs

    16. Uriah Heep

    17. Atomic Rooster

    18. Fripp

    19. Styx

    20. Tangerine Dream

    21. Rush

    22. 10cc

    23. Toto

    yea Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention would be more like Jazz/Rock fusion... a sub genre of prog

  • I think prog, most generally defined, would be rock music that showcases technical proficiency, odd time signatures, as well as taking risks on songs that you will typically not see in the Billboard Top 100.

    Prog is my favorite genre, and here's my top 10. I am not a fan of metal, so bands like Symphony X and Opeth won't be on it.

    1. Pink Floyd

    2. Rush

    3. Genesis

    4. Dream Theater

    5. Jethro Tull

    6. Porcupine Tree

    7. Electric Light Orchestra

    8. Blackfield

    Two newer acts that I really, really like are 30 Seconds to Mars and Dirt Poor Robins. Not sure if I'd fit them on a top 10 list, but as of now, I can't think of any bands that deserve to be on my list more than those two.

    @vaportrail said:

    I think prog, most generally defined, would be rock music that showcases technical proficiency, odd time signatures, as well as taking risks on songs that you will typically not see in the Billboard Top 100.

    Prog is my favorite genre, and here's my top 10. I am not a fan of metal, so bands like Symphony X and Opeth won't be on it.

    1. Pink Floyd

    2. Rush

    3. Genesis

    4. Dream Theater

    5. Jethro Tull

    6. Porcupine Tree

    7. Electric Light Orchestra

    8. Blackfield

    Two newer acts that I really, really like are 30 Seconds to Mars and Dirt Poor Robins. Not sure if I'd fit them on a top 10 list, but as of now, I can't think of any bands that deserve to be on my list more than those two.

    funny how how much of the 70's brand of prog music still has the gas to keep going!

    Im with you on your list, Id add Kansas , ELP instead of Blackfield and Porcupine Tree simply because I havent heard of them.. due to my age I bet! lol

    Dream Theater is excellent - and Rush just simply impresses live!