Rock Hall Nominations
-
Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:
B-52s
Bon Jovi
The Cars
Cat Stevens
Hall and Oates
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Dire Straits
The Doobie Bros.
INXS
Electic Light Orchestra
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
The Eurythmics
Harry Nillson
Jan and Dean
Jethro Tull
Journey
KISS
The Monkees
Moody Blues
Motley Crue
Peter Gabriel
Peter, Paul and Mary
Roxy Music
Soundgarden
Steppenwolf
Stevie Ray Vaughn
YES
The Zombies.
Others?
Of that group, I'd say Chicago, Dire Straits, E.L.O., Stevie Ray, and maybe Doobie, that's it. Harry Nillson needs to be forgotten, he sucked. If Bon Jovi ever gets in, the world may turn very rainbowy, very quickly. Cat Stevens will never get in, for that won't fly in today's society. Tull, too weird. Journey, too cheesy. Speaking of cheese in large amounts, B-52's, The Cars, and The Monkees; especially The Monkees. Peter, Paul, and Mary, though they may have dug rock and roll music, they certainly did not play it. Soundgarden won't get in for another ten years, for their music is still somewhat mainstream somehow.
Of that group, I'd say Chicago, Dire Straits, E.L.O., Stevie Ray, and maybe Doobie, that's it. Harry Nillson needs to be forgotten, he sucked. If Bon Jovi ever gets in, the world may turn very rainbowy, very quickly. Cat Stevens will never get in, for that won't fly in today's society. Tull, too weird. Journey, too cheesy. Speaking of cheese in large amounts, B-52's, The Cars, and The Monkees; especially The Monkees. Peter, Paul, and Mary, though they may have dug rock and roll music, they certainly did not play it. Soundgarden won't get in for another ten years, for their music is still somewhat mainstream somehow.
Since when was "weird" bad in the world or Rock n Roll. Tull is weird, outstandingly weird. As are many rock acts. So, weird is NOT a qualification to keep them out.
As for cheesy....ABBA is in the RRHOF. How the effing hell can you get any cheesier than that. So, clearly, cheesy is not a qualification to keep someone out.
Peter, Paul and Mary may not play rock n roll music, but then neither do the disco or rap acts, or some of the other genres that have representatives in there. And the RRHOF does have Pete Seger, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan and other folk acts in it..Simon and Garfunkel, so clearly being a folk act is no disqualification.
Soundgarden may not get in because they just are sorta considered fourth rate material on the grunge genre behind Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.
-
Bon Jovi will get a nomination in the next decade. I'd agree with Hall and Oates, ELO, Jethro Tull and Moody Blues.
I think if Rush gets in, that opens the door for Emerson, Lake & Palmer as well as YES, but I don't think they get in for maybe another 5-10 years.
Bon Jovi will get a nomination in the next decade. I'd agree with Hall and Oates, ELO, Jethro Tull and Moody Blues.
I think if Rush gets in, that opens the door for Emerson, Lake & Palmer as well as YES, but I don't think they get in for maybe another 5-10 years.
Are you trying to say that Rush is considered a "Progressive Rock" act along the lines of Tull/Yes/ELP/Moody Blues?
If so, you are the first person I have ever heard claim them to be of that genre.
-
Well, whip me with a wet noodle. I guess many do think of Rush as "Prog". I never envisioned it myself, but here is one version of the top 100 Progressive rock acts:
1. Yes
2. King Crimson
3. Genesis
4. Emerson Lake & Palmer
5. Pink Floyd
6. Rush
7. Jethro Tull
8. Mothers of Invention
9. Dream Theater
10. Kraftwerk
11. Traffic
12. Dixie Dregs
13. Gentle Giant
14. Van der Graaf Generator
15. The Moody Blues
16. Marillion
17. Frank Zappa
18. Magma
19. Gong
20. Kansas
21. Tangerine Dream
22. Caravan
23. Mahavishnu Orchestra
24. The Soft Machine
25. Family
26. Hawkwind
27. Mike Oldfield
28. Uriah Heep
29. Camel
30. Rick Wakeman
31. Peter Gabriel
32. The Flower Kings
33. Premiata Forneria Marconi
34. The Strawbs
35. Renaissance
36. Can
37. Goblin
38. Wigwam
39. Queensryche
40. Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso
41. Electric Light Orchestra
42. King's X
43. Anglagard
44. Amon Düül
45. Procol Harum
46. Brian Eno
47. Captain Beefheart & the Magic Band
48. Eloy
49. Porcupine Tree
50. The Alan Parson's Project
51. Bo Hansson
52. The Beatles
53. Spock's Beard
54. Asia
55. Vangelis
56. Le Orme
57. Tool
58. Fate's Warning
59. Ayreon
60. Baryclay James Harvest
61. Ange
62. IQ
63. Utopia
64. Opeth
65. Ozric Tentacles
66. Symphony X
67. Liquid Tension Experiment
68. Transatlantic
69. Steve Hackett
70. Aphrodite's Child
71. Focus
72. Supertramp
73. Adrian Belew
74. California Guitar Trio
75. Anekdoten
76. Savatage
77. Area
78. Hatfield & the North
79. Styx
80. Happy The Man
81. Nektar
82. Henry Cow
83. Robert Fripp
84. Saga
85. Primus
86. Bozzio Levin Stevens
87. Niacin
88. The Nice
89. Shadow Gallery
90. UK
91. The Mars Volta
92. Atomic Rooster
93. Birth Control
94. Andromeda
95. Pain of Salvation
96. Comus
97. Roxy Music
98. Pendragon
99. Rhapsody
100. Stratovarius
I have not heard of a lot of these....and I would probably disagree seriously with some of these rankings.
(Any list that would put The Beatles 52d clearly has no clue.....the fact that the Beatles invented Prog rock of course does not even mean that they should be classified as such.)
-
My top 20 of Prog rock would be as follows. (I leave The Beatles out because that would be like saying God is a mortal human). I also leave out Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention because I don't think they are Prog. They are something, I'm not sure what though:
1.Pink Floyd
2. King Crimson
3. Jethro Tull
4. ELO
5. Procul Harum
6. Emerson, Lake, Palmer
7. Genesis
8. Roxy Music..and Eno (offshot)
8.A Golden Earring
9. Moody Blues
10. Utopia/Todd Rundgren (I assume this is the Todd Rundgren band)
11. Traffic
12. Asia
13. Kansas
14. Peter Gabriel
15. The Strawbs
16. Uriah Heep
17. Atomic Rooster
18. Fripp
19. Styx
20. Tangerine Dream
21. Rush
22. 10cc
23. Toto
-
I think prog, most generally defined, would be rock music that showcases technical proficiency, odd time signatures, as well as taking risks on songs that you will typically not see in the Billboard Top 100.
Prog is my favorite genre, and here's my top 10. I am not a fan of metal, so bands like Symphony X and Opeth won't be on it.
1. Pink Floyd
2. Rush
3. Genesis
4. Dream Theater
5. Jethro Tull
6. Porcupine Tree
7. Electric Light Orchestra
8. Blackfield
Two newer acts that I really, really like are 30 Seconds to Mars and Dirt Poor Robins. Not sure if I'd fit them on a top 10 list, but as of now, I can't think of any bands that deserve to be on my list more than those two.
-
well Deep Purple,Heart and Albert King get My vote...Albert King was a strong influence on many guitarists including Myself. Not to mention Ritchie Blackmore and Nancy Wilson who made many contributions to influencing an age of musicians like Myself in thier own right.
-
Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:
B-52s
Bon Jovi
The Cars
Cat Stevens
Hall and Oates
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Dire Straits
The Doobie Bros.
INXS
Electic Light Orchestra
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
The Eurythmics
Harry Nillson
Jan and Dean
Jethro Tull
Journey
KISS
The Monkees
Moody Blues
Motley Crue
Peter Gabriel
Peter, Paul and Mary
Roxy Music
Soundgarden
Steppenwolf
Stevie Ray Vaughn
YES
The Zombies.
Others?
Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:
B-52s
Bon Jovi
The Cars
Cat Stevens
Hall and Oates
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Dire Straits
The Doobie Bros.
INXS
Electic Light Orchestra
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
The Eurythmics
Harry Nillson
Jan and Dean
Jethro Tull
Journey
KISS
The Monkees
Moody Blues
Motley Crue
Peter Gabriel
Peter, Paul and Mary
Roxy Music
Soundgarden
Steppenwolf
Stevie Ray Vaughn
YES
The Zombies.
Others?
We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.
Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.
Rodgers is the voice of 70's R&R
-
Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:
B-52s
Bon Jovi
The Cars
Cat Stevens
Hall and Oates
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Dire Straits
The Doobie Bros.
INXS
Electic Light Orchestra
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
The Eurythmics
Harry Nillson
Jan and Dean
Jethro Tull
Journey
KISS
The Monkees
Moody Blues
Motley Crue
Peter Gabriel
Peter, Paul and Mary
Roxy Music
Soundgarden
Steppenwolf
Stevie Ray Vaughn
YES
The Zombies.
Others?
We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.
Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.
Rodgers is the voice of 70's R&R
We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.
Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.
He did a tour or two with queen, but he's not the lead singer of queen. He was terrible, by the way, just like many people trying to tackle Freddie mercury's parts. Unsatisfactory. The guy from foo fighters (not Dave grohl) does Freddie better.
-
RRHOF is a very subjective thing. Everybody's musical tastes seem to vary.
If it was me, the whole shebang would have started with the Beatles, Elvis, Rolling Stones, The Who, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, & Pink Floyd.
THEN, now who do we put in?
I find it laughable that Joni Mitchell & Billy Joel got in before Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple, Alice Cooper & Kiss still aren't in. Has anybody ever been to a party/gathering where somebody said "crank up the Billy Joel, or Joni Mitchell? Don't get me wrong, those artists (Joel, Mitchell)have good tunes, but RRHOF worthy? Hmm
-
My top 20 of Prog rock would be as follows. (I leave The Beatles out because that would be like saying God is a mortal human). I also leave out Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention because I don't think they are Prog. They are something, I'm not sure what though:
1.Pink Floyd
2. King Crimson
3. Jethro Tull
4. ELO
5. Procul Harum
6. Emerson, Lake, Palmer
7. Genesis
8. Roxy Music..and Eno (offshot)
8.A Golden Earring
9. Moody Blues
10. Utopia/Todd Rundgren (I assume this is the Todd Rundgren band)
11. Traffic
12. Asia
13. Kansas
14. Peter Gabriel
15. The Strawbs
16. Uriah Heep
17. Atomic Rooster
18. Fripp
19. Styx
20. Tangerine Dream
21. Rush
22. 10cc
23. Toto
My top 20 of Prog rock would be as follows. (I leave The Beatles out because that would be like saying God is a mortal human). I also leave out Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention because I don't think they are Prog. They are something, I'm not sure what though:
1.Pink Floyd
2. King Crimson
3. Jethro Tull
4. ELO
5. Procul Harum
6. Emerson, Lake, Palmer
7. Genesis
8. Roxy Music..and Eno (offshot)
8.A Golden Earring
9. Moody Blues
10. Utopia/Todd Rundgren (I assume this is the Todd Rundgren band)
11. Traffic
12. Asia
13. Kansas
14. Peter Gabriel
15. The Strawbs
16. Uriah Heep
17. Atomic Rooster
18. Fripp
19. Styx
20. Tangerine Dream
21. Rush
22. 10cc
23. Toto
yea Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention would be more like Jazz/Rock fusion... a sub genre of prog
-
I think prog, most generally defined, would be rock music that showcases technical proficiency, odd time signatures, as well as taking risks on songs that you will typically not see in the Billboard Top 100.
Prog is my favorite genre, and here's my top 10. I am not a fan of metal, so bands like Symphony X and Opeth won't be on it.
1. Pink Floyd
2. Rush
3. Genesis
4. Dream Theater
5. Jethro Tull
6. Porcupine Tree
7. Electric Light Orchestra
8. Blackfield
Two newer acts that I really, really like are 30 Seconds to Mars and Dirt Poor Robins. Not sure if I'd fit them on a top 10 list, but as of now, I can't think of any bands that deserve to be on my list more than those two.
I think prog, most generally defined, would be rock music that showcases technical proficiency, odd time signatures, as well as taking risks on songs that you will typically not see in the Billboard Top 100.
Prog is my favorite genre, and here's my top 10. I am not a fan of metal, so bands like Symphony X and Opeth won't be on it.
1. Pink Floyd
2. Rush
3. Genesis
4. Dream Theater
5. Jethro Tull
6. Porcupine Tree
7. Electric Light Orchestra
8. Blackfield
Two newer acts that I really, really like are 30 Seconds to Mars and Dirt Poor Robins. Not sure if I'd fit them on a top 10 list, but as of now, I can't think of any bands that deserve to be on my list more than those two.
funny how how much of the 70's brand of prog music still has the gas to keep going!
Im with you on your list, Id add Kansas , ELP instead of Blackfield and Porcupine Tree simply because I havent heard of them.. due to my age I bet! lol
Dream Theater is excellent - and Rush just simply impresses live!
-
Of that group, I'd say Chicago, Dire Straits, E.L.O., Stevie Ray, and maybe Doobie, that's it. Harry Nillson needs to be forgotten, he sucked. If Bon Jovi ever gets in, the world may turn very rainbowy, very quickly. Cat Stevens will never get in, for that won't fly in today's society. Tull, too weird. Journey, too cheesy. Speaking of cheese in large amounts, B-52's, The Cars, and The Monkees; especially The Monkees. Peter, Paul, and Mary, though they may have dug rock and roll music, they certainly did not play it. Soundgarden won't get in for another ten years, for their music is still somewhat mainstream somehow.
Since when was "weird" bad in the world or Rock n Roll. Tull is weird, outstandingly weird. As are many rock acts. So, weird is NOT a qualification to keep them out.
As for cheesy....ABBA is in the RRHOF. How the effing hell can you get any cheesier than that. So, clearly, cheesy is not a qualification to keep someone out.
Peter, Paul and Mary may not play rock n roll music, but then neither do the disco or rap acts, or some of the other genres that have representatives in there. And the RRHOF does have Pete Seger, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan and other folk acts in it..Simon and Garfunkel, so clearly being a folk act is no disqualification.
Soundgarden may not get in because they just are sorta considered fourth rate material on the grunge genre behind Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.
Since when was "weird" bad in the world or Rock n Roll. Tull is weird, outstandingly weird. As are many rock acts. So, weird is NOT a qualification to keep them out.
As for cheesy....ABBA is in the RRHOF. How the effing hell can you get any cheesier than that. So, clearly, cheesy is not a qualification to keep someone out.
Peter, Paul and Mary may not play rock n roll music, but then neither do the disco or rap acts, or some of the other genres that have representatives in there. And the RRHOF does have Pete Seger, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan and other folk acts in it..Simon and Garfunkel, so clearly being a folk act is no disqualification.
Soundgarden may not get in because they just are sorta considered fourth rate material on the grunge genre behind Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.
About Jethro Tull, I would love nothing more than to see them honored; I just think most voters won't vote for them because they didn't have enough of a loyal following. I agree on Soundgarden, very overrated in my opinion. Peter, Paul, and Mary in no way, shape, or form compare to Seger, Guthrie, or Dylan. Besides, Rolling Stone Magazine still ranks Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone as #1 rock song of all time. Simon and Garfunkel, they speak for themselves. I still think they are underrated.
Abba was huge. As much as I can't tolerate them, I will give them respect enough to say that they were giants in the industry. They were offered a billion in euroland for a reunion tour years ago, so that says something for them. The B-52's are no ABBA.
I am very biased though when it comes to The Cars and Bon Jovi. I want to rip my eyes out and put them in my ear holes when I hear them. I hate their writing style.
-
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
-
well Deep Purple,Heart and Albert King get My vote...Albert King was a strong influence on many guitarists including Myself. Not to mention Ritchie Blackmore and Nancy Wilson who made many contributions to influencing an age of musicians like Myself in thier own right.
well Deep Purple,Heart and Albert King get My vote...Albert King was a strong influence on many guitarists including Myself. Not to mention Ritchie Blackmore and Nancy Wilson who made many contributions to influencing an age of musicians like Myself in thier own right.
I guess Albert King is an old Blues master. Related to B.B.King (who is in). I guess I may have confused him with either B.B. or maybe Ben E. King (Stand By Me)
-
Would not many if not most of these acts be as worthy as those selected?:
B-52s
Bon Jovi
The Cars
Cat Stevens
Hall and Oates
Cheap Trick
Chicago
Dire Straits
The Doobie Bros.
INXS
Electic Light Orchestra
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
The Eurythmics
Harry Nillson
Jan and Dean
Jethro Tull
Journey
KISS
The Monkees
Moody Blues
Motley Crue
Peter Gabriel
Peter, Paul and Mary
Roxy Music
Soundgarden
Steppenwolf
Stevie Ray Vaughn
YES
The Zombies.
Others?
We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.
Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.
Rodgers is the voice of 70's R&R
We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.
Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.
Rodgers is the voice of 70's R&R
Yes, it gets brought up every year when the nominations come out. That's OK, its interesting to observe.
Personally, I don't know about Chicago. I will say that they are something different....I don't know if I like it, but they are different.
And I am all in for Free/Bad Company to be considered. I put them in a category with Small Faces, which got in last year.
-
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
Plus, Chicago needs to be in. I think I forgot to mention Procol Harum, but I, until recently, only knew Whiter Shade of Pale. I started listening to their vinyls a year ago, and I instantly fell in love with them.
However, I believe the Hall of Fame is too easy to get into. I want to see only the best in there, not some of the decent bands that had a good run.
Donovan, I like, but I don't believe he deserves to be in. Beastie Boys, Guns N' Roses, The Hollies, and Velvet Underground all fall under the same for me as well. Good bands, yes, but I don't and never will consider them elite.
I want to see a band like Toto get in. Because most notably 2 people in the band,Steve Lukather (guitar and David Paich (keyboards), Were huge session musicians that played and produced many chart busting songs in the late 70's through the 80's. Steve Lukather and Jeff Porcaro (Drums) composed and performed the Music(instruments) on Michael Jacksons Thriller. Far as Im concerned the Jackson Estate owes that man (Lukather) Millions since Porcaro has been deceased sinced the early 90's.
-
We've been through this before....Chicago needs to be in. They were cutting edge, rocking out with a horn section, and had a ton of hits and about 20 top selling albums. Terry Kath was a GREAT guitar player who flys under most radar. Jimmi Hendrix spent many hours trying to figure out Kaths solos. He was a great fan of Kath's.
Also, Paul Rodgers needs to get in, either as the front man of Free or more likely, Bad Company. Now he is Queens lead singer.
He did a tour or two with queen, but he's not the lead singer of queen. He was terrible, by the way, just like many people trying to tackle Freddie mercury's parts. Unsatisfactory. The guy from foo fighters (not Dave grohl) does Freddie better.
He did a tour or two with queen, but he's not the lead singer of queen. He was terrible, by the way, just like many people trying to tackle Freddie mercury's parts. Unsatisfactory. The guy from foo fighters (not Dave grohl) does Freddie better.
Adam Lambert did it for a while. May still be doing it. He is certainly the vocal...and lifestyle progeny of Freddie.
-
RRHOF is a very subjective thing. Everybody's musical tastes seem to vary.
If it was me, the whole shebang would have started with the Beatles, Elvis, Rolling Stones, The Who, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, & Pink Floyd.
THEN, now who do we put in?
I find it laughable that Joni Mitchell & Billy Joel got in before Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple, Alice Cooper & Kiss still aren't in. Has anybody ever been to a party/gathering where somebody said "crank up the Billy Joel, or Joni Mitchell? Don't get me wrong, those artists (Joel, Mitchell)have good tunes, but RRHOF worthy? Hmm
RRHOF is a very subjective thing. Everybody's musical tastes seem to vary.
If it was me, the whole shebang would have started with the Beatles, Elvis, Rolling Stones, The Who, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, & Pink Floyd.
THEN, now who do we put in?
I find it laughable that Joni Mitchell & Billy Joel got in before Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple, Alice Cooper & Kiss still aren't in. Has anybody ever been to a party/gathering where somebody said "crank up the Billy Joel, or Joni Mitchell? Don't get me wrong, those artists (Joel, Mitchell)have good tunes, but RRHOF worthy? Hmm
Alice Cooper got in last year.
As for who you think should be in because they aren't "rock" enough for you.....read your own first sentence. It is not up to you to define what is rock and what isn't.
Rock n roll came out of three different lineages: blues, country, folk. So to discount someone you think is folk would be a disservice to the origins of rock n roll.
-
Since when was "weird" bad in the world or Rock n Roll. Tull is weird, outstandingly weird. As are many rock acts. So, weird is NOT a qualification to keep them out.
As for cheesy....ABBA is in the RRHOF. How the effing hell can you get any cheesier than that. So, clearly, cheesy is not a qualification to keep someone out.
Peter, Paul and Mary may not play rock n roll music, but then neither do the disco or rap acts, or some of the other genres that have representatives in there. And the RRHOF does have Pete Seger, Woody Guthrie, Bob Dylan and other folk acts in it..Simon and Garfunkel, so clearly being a folk act is no disqualification.
Soundgarden may not get in because they just are sorta considered fourth rate material on the grunge genre behind Nirvana, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam.
About Jethro Tull, I would love nothing more than to see them honored; I just think most voters won't vote for them because they didn't have enough of a loyal following. I agree on Soundgarden, very overrated in my opinion. Peter, Paul, and Mary in no way, shape, or form compare to Seger, Guthrie, or Dylan. Besides, Rolling Stone Magazine still ranks Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone as #1 rock song of all time. Simon and Garfunkel, they speak for themselves. I still think they are underrated.
Abba was huge. As much as I can't tolerate them, I will give them respect enough to say that they were giants in the industry. They were offered a billion in euroland for a reunion tour years ago, so that says something for them. The B-52's are no ABBA.
I am very biased though when it comes to The Cars and Bon Jovi. I want to rip my eyes out and put them in my ear holes when I hear them. I hate their writing style.
About Jethro Tull, I would love nothing more than to see them honored; I just think most voters won't vote for them because they didn't have enough of a loyal following.
I am not sure what planet you lived on back in the day. I liked Tull, but I knew many people who were devoted to them. And they certainly filled the Coliseum with their shows.
I agree on Soundgarden, very overrated in my opinion. Peter, Paul, and Mary in no way, shape, or form compare to Seger, Guthrie, or Dylan.
I would wager that there are 3 people that would disagree with you: Seger, Guthrie, and Dylan.
Besides, Rolling Stone Magazine still ranks Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone as #1 rock song of all time. Simon and Garfunkel, they speak for themselves. I still think they are underrated.
(yes, but they were primarily "folk")
Abba was huge. As much as I can't tolerate them, I will give them respect enough to say that they were giants in the industry. They were offered a billion in euroland for a reunion tour years ago, so that says something for them. The B-52's are no ABBA.
No, they are better. What song did ABBA make that was ever as good a The Love Shack? Again, it is all opinion
I am very biased though when it comes to The Cars and Bon Jovi. I want to rip my eyes out and put them in my ear holes when I hear them. I hate their writing style.
I agree on the Cars. I just never liked them much...but that is only my personal taste. Hell, my kids don't like Bruce Springsteen...and I have to shake my head at that.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login