Miller
-
I wasn't clear enough.
But again, it's not welfare that's turning us into Europe.
We have all sorts of social programs for all sorts of Citizens growing and growing and growing.
And it's getting harder and harder to pay for them even now.
I don't think we'll be able to tax the rich enough to keep them solvent as they continue to skyrocket.
Then we will be forced kicking and screaming into real austerity measures.
WSS
-
Yes, Steve said it wasn't a big problem.
It's just the problem he and the rest of the right devotes 85% of their time to. And when Bill O'Reilly gets up after the election and says Obama won because the white establishment is shrinking and the demographics are changing and "these people" want "stuff" from government, this is lauded as truth telling.
And not only that, but the rest of us won't admit just how brilliant his analysis is!
Are you guys getting the point yet? This is not where the money is being spent. It's being spent on retiring Baby Boomers, health care, and defense. It's being lost in the tax code, which doesn't raise enough money to pay for the current size of government.
You have to either raise revenues or cut government or what most people prefer: both.
And if you want to crack down on food stamp fraud or welfare fraud, this will be done at the state level and involves hiring what would be called "bureaucrats" to design better systems, then spend money to implement them, and money to police them. And states have done this. There are savings to be had here. No one is saying grifters aren't annoying, or that they don't cost money, or that there's no such thing as government dependency.
They're saying this is tinkering around the edges stuff that really doesn't matter too much, and you guys have to put your anecdotes aside and open your eyes to what the government actually spends its money on.
-
Steve, check what you quoted in your earlier post, I assumed your "no it isn't" was to the last part. That there would be our miscommunication.
Cysko, if it's bugging you, go report it then! Get your friends audited if you think it's that big of a problem.
In 2009, there was 2.9 billion dollars of questioned allocation of funding. Of that 2.9b, about 25m was taken back, 3m in fines were assessed, and another 25m through settlements. That's $53 million. What percent of 2.9 billion dollars is 53 million?
(53*10^6)/(2.9*10^9)*(10^2)
There, the math is all done for you, just C&P that into google to find out how big of a problem this is.
Steve, check what you quoted in your earlier post, I assumed your "no it isn't" was to the last part. That there would be our miscommunication.
Cysko, if it's bugging you, go report it then! Get your friends audited if you think it's that big of a problem.
In 2009, there was 2.9 billion dollars of questioned allocation of funding. Of that 2.9b, about 25m was taken back, 3m in fines were assessed, and another 25m through settlements. That's $53 million. What percent of 2.9 billion dollars is 53 million?
(53*10^6)/(2.9*10^9)*(10^2)
There, the math is all done for you, just C&P that into google to find out how big of a problem this is.
It's not even and always about the money. It's about right and wrong. Stealing is wrong. It's pretty basic. Why you would see were in a debt crisis where our ship is sinking and you want to turn a blind eye to theft. Especially when your taxes are paying for it. I just don't get that.
-
What are you implying? That the welfare system is on the up and up and we should pay more taxes to help what's an efficient and honest system? Everybody on it truly deserves the help?
-
Not sure if heck is going for the red man or the straw herring.
This isn't simply welfare we're talking about.
Everyone has been crying that Republicans need to reach out to four group that voted big for Obama.
Blacks who would like to see more social programs. Just like heck. Stuff.
Hispanics who would like to see a fast track for friends and relatives living here illegally so they can ride the US gravy train. Stuff.
Single women who want the government to pay for either their contraception or their children.
Stuff.
Young people who want the government to pick up the tab for not only their health care but their college tuition as well.
Stuff.
So Republicans lost by a good margin in those four group.
I'd imagine that the unemployment rate among those group is higher than the average.
So I'd suspect that they would all prefer even longer periods of unemployment pay.
Stuff.
Personally I can't imagine what the Republicans might do short of trying to outbid the Democrats.
I just think that will be impossible regardless of political affiliation.
WSS
-
Here's what I'm saying: that the food stamp benefit is $4.50 a day, or $32.59 a week. Say you bust those people you were talking about and they lose their food stamps. Say you make this your life's work and over the course of the year you bust 100 of them. Probably generous, but let's just assume.
You just saved the state of Ohio about $170,000. Not nothing, but not exactly budget balancing material. A few cops work a detail, a new teacher is hired, and there goes your savings.
Okay, now picture that we decide we hate food stamp fraud so super duper much that we're going to create a fraud task force to find these grifters and show them what's what. We hire five accountant investigators to work with Social Services to root out the undeserving in Ohio. I'm sure this would sound good coming out of a politician's mouth, right? You guys would love this proposal.
Okay, five more public employee salaries, ranging from about $70,000 to $90,000 plus benefits, trying to root out food stamp fraud costs the government $1700 per violator...
See my point? In terms of where the government spends its money, or even wastes its money, this isn't the problem. There isn't much money to be found here.
-
Not sure if heck is going for the red man or the straw herring.
This isn't simply welfare we're talking about.
Everyone has been crying that Republicans need to reach out to four group that voted big for Obama.
Blacks who would like to see more social programs. Just like heck. Stuff.
Hispanics who would like to see a fast track for friends and relatives living here illegally so they can ride the US gravy train. Stuff.
Single women who want the government to pay for either their contraception or their children.
Stuff.
Young people who want the government to pick up the tab for not only their health care but their college tuition as well.
Stuff.
So Republicans lost by a good margin in those four group.
I'd imagine that the unemployment rate among those group is higher than the average.
So I'd suspect that they would all prefer even longer periods of unemployment pay.
Stuff.
Personally I can't imagine what the Republicans might do short of trying to outbid the Democrats.
I just think that will be impossible regardless of political affiliation.
WSS
Not sure if heck is going for the red man or the straw herring.
This isn't simply welfare we're talking about.
Everyone has been crying that Republicans need to reach out to four group that voted big for Obama.
Blacks who would like to see more social programs. Just like heck. Stuff.
Hispanics who would like to see a fast track for friends and relatives living here illegally so they can ride the US gravy train. Stuff.
Single women who want the government to pay for either their contraception or their children.
Stuff.
Young people who want the government to pick up the tab for not only their health care but their college tuition as well.
Stuff.
So Republicans lost by a good margin in those four group.
I'd imagine that the unemployment rate among those group is higher than the average.
So I'd suspect that they would all prefer even longer periods of unemployment pay.
Stuff.
Personally I can't imagine what the Republicans might do short of trying to outbid the Democrats.
I just think that will be impossible regardless of political affiliation.
WSS
I've got to get to work, but this just makes me shake my head.
You really shouldn't fool yourself into thinking that I don't understand this argument, or know what it is. That's the problem - that I know exactly what argument you're making.
-
And among the group the President did not win big?
Working white people and married women.
Heck would have you believe it's because they are misogynist racists.
I would say that they might resent being accused of causing all the world's ills.
And I suspect they understand that no matter how you punish the rich man you can't begin to pay for the stuff everybody wants.
WSS
-
Don't worry Heck.
I usually think you merely feign ignorance to pursue a bicker point.
WSS
-
Steve, check what you quoted in your earlier post, I assumed your "no it isn't" was to the last part. That there would be our miscommunication.
Cysko, if it's bugging you, go report it then! Get your friends audited if you think it's that big of a problem.
In 2009, there was 2.9 billion dollars of questioned allocation of funding. Of that 2.9b, about 25m was taken back, 3m in fines were assessed, and another 25m through settlements. That's $53 million. What percent of 2.9 billion dollars is 53 million?
(53*10^6)/(2.9*10^9)*(10^2)
There, the math is all done for you, just C&P that into google to find out how big of a problem this is.
It's not even and always about the money. It's about right and wrong. Stealing is wrong. It's pretty basic. Why you would see were in a debt crisis where our ship is sinking and you want to turn a blind eye to theft. Especially when your taxes are paying for it. I just don't get that.
It's not even and always about the money. It's about right and wrong. Stealing is wrong. It's pretty basic. Why you would see were in a debt crisis where our ship is sinking and you want to turn a blind eye to theft. Especially when your taxes are paying for it. I just don't get that.
Then why don't you report those people that you know?
-
It's not even and always about the money. It's about right and wrong. Stealing is wrong. It's pretty basic. Why you would see were in a debt crisis where our ship is sinking and you want to turn a blind eye to theft. Especially when your taxes are paying for it. I just don't get that.
Then why don't you report those people that you know?
Then why don't you report those people that you know?
Because I'm not a tattle tale vapor. And its harder to turn people in when you have personal relationships with them, but that doesn't mean what they're doing is ok. How about this? I have a childhood friend, perfectly able bodied, named Justin. He's a drunk and a pothead. He works zero hours and collects ssri for "anxiety"
Take your food stamp numbers and find out how many people are on disability for "anxiety" and factor them in.
-
Sertraline is like 7 dollars a month for an individual. If that's something that helps to keep them from offing themselves, I'm not against it. Mental illness is a bitch, and the stigma against it needs to go. Good use of government money. It's not like he's getting free percocet.
-
Sertraline is like 7 dollars a month for an individual. If that's something that helps to keep them from offing themselves, I'm not against it. Mental illness is a bitch, and the stigma against it needs to go. Good use of government money. It's not like he's getting free percocet.
Sertraline is like 7 dollars a month for an individual. If that's something that helps to keep them from offing themselves, I'm not against it. Mental illness is a bitch, and the stigma against it needs to go. Good use of government money. It's not like he's getting free percocet.
He's getting free adderall. I have anxiety. Everyone has anxiety. It's the human condition. Trust me this guy is faking it.
-
Sertraline is like 7 dollars a month for an individual. If that's something that helps to keep them from offing themselves, I'm not against it. Mental illness is a bitch, and the stigma against it needs to go. Good use of government money. It's not like he's getting free percocet.
He's getting free adderall. I have anxiety. Everyone has anxiety. It's the human condition. Trust me this guy is faking it.
He's getting free adderall. I have anxiety. Everyone has anxiety. It's the human condition. Trust me this guy is faking it.
I think I'll trust the doctors. Even if what you say is true, the drugs still have uses for the basic functioning of other patients.
Also, now that I think about it, where does he get this stuff from? I'm pretty sure the government doesn't give out adderall for free.
-
It's a terrible use of government money. We will never agree that people with anxiety deserve a handout
-
He's getting free adderall. I have anxiety. Everyone has anxiety. It's the human condition. Trust me this guy is faking it.
I think I'll trust the doctors. Even if what you say is true, the drugs still have uses for the basic functioning of other patients.
Also, now that I think about it, where does he get this stuff from? I'm pretty sure the government doesn't give out adderall for free.
I think I'll trust the doctors. Even if what you say is true, the drugs still have uses for the basic functioning of other patients.
Also, now that I think about it, where does he get this stuff from? I'm pretty sure the government doesn't give out adderall for free.
Oh yes SSI is a private foundation. He's totally paying for his healthcare. And on top of that since he's got no job, ssi pays his child support for his illegitimate child. Good use!
-
You guys really seem to be surrounded by boatloads of dirtbags.
-
You guys really seem to be surrounded by boatloads of dirtbags.
You guys really seem to be surrounded by boatloads of dirtbags.
It's true not everyone I know chose to join the military, learn a trade, get a decent job and do the right thing. I'm sure if you descended from the hills and went into some of the lesser areas of L.A. you'd see some people abusing the wonderful system.
-
It's really hypocritical of you to complain about it as much as you do, and to refuse to report it.
-
It's really tiresome of you to pretend like its not happening.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login