Coaching Wish List
-
Only if Wisenhunt bring Ray Horton with him. Wisenhunt has put together one of the worst QBs stable ever. So who knows what he would do here to better the team.
I'd love to get Gruden, but I don't think this is his #1 choice. Cowher would obviously be amazing to get. Chip Kelly no thanks.
-
i'll not say that i have killed shurmur for his coaching
BUT
what i did do is BITCH about how he got this job. if you wanted to see a browns team play hard and disciplined for a coach then you should have been around here 2 or 3 years ago when mangini was here.
shurmur is like weeden. you can't support a guy because he's a rookie and makes mistakes and say he'll be alright and then bitch about someone who basically is in the same exact position. this franchise needs to be 'locked down'. no movement (after holmgren leaves) whatsoever.
yes there is a glimmer of hope on both sides of the ball. a couple of adjustments FA and draft wise and is ee us being a powerhouse in this division for years to come.
keep everybody (except holmgren), let everyone get another year under their belt, with an OC calling the plays and (if that happens) i guarantee a 10 win season next year.
money.
One of the main complaints about Shurmur is that he seems to NOT give clear guidance to his rookie QB; that he shows completely unimaginative play calling; and that he seems to constantly putting his offense...and his rookie QB into untenable situations.
He exudes no enthusiasm, no confidence, no bravado, no intestinal fortitude. Those may not be necessary, but he also seems as dull with his scheme as he is dull in his personality.
[iHe exudes no enthusiasm, no confidence, no bravado, no intestinal fortitude. Those may not be necessary, but he also seems as dull with his scheme as he is dull in his personality.[/i]
How would you have compared Belichick to those factors back in the late 90's (or now)? Let me help:
Enthusiasm- 0
Confidence (conveyed)- 2
Bravado- 0
Intestinal Fortitude- 9
Personality- 0
Plus he gave the fans the middle finger when it came to humiliating Kosar and Mack right before our eyes.
You're right. Those things are not necessary.
-
[iHe exudes no enthusiasm, no confidence, no bravado, no intestinal fortitude. Those may not be necessary, but he also seems as dull with his scheme as he is dull in his personality.[/i]
How would you have compared Belichick to those factors back in the late 90's (or now)? Let me help:
Enthusiasm- 0
Confidence (conveyed)- 2
Bravado- 0
Intestinal Fortitude- 9
Personality- 0
Plus he gave the fans the middle finger when it came to humiliating Kosar and Mack right before our eyes.
You're right. Those things are not necessary.
How would you have compared Belichick to those factors back in the late 90's (or now)? Let me help:
Enthusiasm- 0
Confidence (conveyed)- 2
Bravado- 0
Intestinal Fortitude- 9
Personality- 0
Plus he gave the fans the middle finger when it came to humiliating Kosar and Mack right before our eyes.
You're right. Those things are not necessary.
Well, a lot of that is why I conflicted over Shurmur. Yes, the NFL is now an instant gratification league/a what have you done lately league....but the fact is, some of the greatest coaches in history didn't start out very well.
Chuck Noll....two seasons of like 1 or two wins
Bill Walsh....the same
Tom Landry....first 5 years he had a losing record
Mike Shanahan...basically a failure in Oakland
Bill Belichick...we know that story, first a failure then a success
and others like that.
Of course, for every story like those above there are probably a dozen who failed at first and remained a failure.
-
For me it's to the point I don't really root one way or the other. I'll leave it to Jimmy and Joe.
I think Heck has done a pretty decent job and while I have been critical of Shurmer, the team is progressing. A young team I might add.
It will be interesting too see or hear what the players feel. If they are buying in to the process and starting to feel the fire, change might not be our best option.
If we do make a change, the difference IMO is it won't be a blow up...we have enough good young players a new coach or GM isn't going to toss them aside. If they do, we'll know pretty quickly about the decision making ability of this new regime.
-
I will add that this game against the Chiefs is a big time trap game for us.
Shurmer might not be able to save his hide with a win, but he might skin himself if we go out there and lose in miserable fashion.
This is a must win game...make it 3 in a row...get the guys accustomed to stringing 3-4 wins together as that is the way you win in this league.
-
I will add that this game against the Chiefs is a big time trap game for us.
Shurmer might not be able to save his hide with a win, but he might skin himself if we go out there and lose in miserable fashion.
This is a must win game...make it 3 in a row...get the guys accustomed to stringing 3-4 wins together as that is the way you win in this league.
I will add that this game against the Chiefs is a big time trap game for us.
Shurmer might not be able to save his hide with a win, but he might skin himself if we go out there and lose in miserable fashion.
This is a must win game...make it 3 in a row...get the guys accustomed to stringing 3-4 wins together as that is the way you win in this league.
Agree completely. Despite the Chiefs having the worst record, they have played teams hard at times. They beat the Panthers and Cam Newton last week. They lost to the Broncos by only 17-9. They lost in OT to the Steelers 16-13. They lost to the Ravens by only 9-6. They beat the Saints 27-24.
The Browns by no means are a team that can take beating anyone for granted.
-
I don't even remember what it feels like as a fan to take a team for granted. How long has it been since we could truly expect the Browns to win a game in a given week? I always think we could win no matter how bad we've looked to theat point in the season, but I truly cant remember the last time I looked at a matchup and said, oh yeah...the Browns will win this week easiliy.
-
I don't even remember what it feels like as a fan to take a team for granted. How long has it been since we could truly expect the Browns to win a game in a given week? I always think we could win no matter how bad we've looked to theat point in the season, but I truly cant remember the last time I looked at a matchup and said, oh yeah...the Browns will win this week easiliy.
I don't even remember what it feels like as a fan to take a team for granted. How long has it been since we could truly expect the Browns to win a game in a given week? I always think we could win no matter how bad we've looked to theat point in the season, but I truly cant remember the last time I looked at a matchup and said, oh yeah...the Browns will win this week easiliy.
A day may come when Browns fans can take a win for granted, but:
-
Since this is a thread about a coaching wish list, I will give my top 5:
1) Chip Kelly - Oregon - His understanding of offense and playing uptempo could bring the kind of identity and attitude this team has lacked for a long time, plus it would be a good fit for Weeden. With so many young players, it might benefit us to utilize our youth and bring some excitement to Cleveland.
2) Pat Shurmur - status quo ... yes, I hate to say it but I am starting to think he's coming around, maybe, sort of, I don't know. We'll find out more this Sunday when we play KC. Really would love to see a convincing victory... ever
3) Bruce Arians - Colts - can't argue with what he has done in his career, especially this season where he has been the interim HC and has been calling plays.
4) Mike McCoy - Denver OC - Another great offensive coach. Understands the importance of running the football and has proven that he can adapt his system to his players instead of vice versa.
5) Toss up... Brian Kelly - Notre Dame, or David Shaw - Stanford - Neither seem to be likely, but this is a "Wishlist". Probably leaning toward Shaw as he has had success running a pro-style offense in college. Plus, look at what he did with Andrew Luck. On the other hand, it's hard to argue with Brian Kelly's history of success.
Whoever takes over should be offensive-minded and bring in their own OC, but should also consider keeping Jauron and most of his squad to keep running the D (much like Tomlin did with LeBeau).
-
Since this is a thread about a coaching wish list, I will give my top 5:
1) Chip Kelly - Oregon - His understanding of offense and playing uptempo could bring the kind of identity and attitude this team has lacked for a long time, plus it would be a good fit for Weeden. With so many young players, it might benefit us to utilize our youth and bring some excitement to Cleveland.
2) Pat Shurmur - status quo ... yes, I hate to say it but I am starting to think he's coming around, maybe, sort of, I don't know. We'll find out more this Sunday when we play KC. Really would love to see a convincing victory... ever
3) Bruce Arians - Colts - can't argue with what he has done in his career, especially this season where he has been the interim HC and has been calling plays.
4) Mike McCoy - Denver OC - Another great offensive coach. Understands the importance of running the football and has proven that he can adapt his system to his players instead of vice versa.
5) Toss up... Brian Kelly - Notre Dame, or David Shaw - Stanford - Neither seem to be likely, but this is a "Wishlist". Probably leaning toward Shaw as he has had success running a pro-style offense in college. Plus, look at what he did with Andrew Luck. On the other hand, it's hard to argue with Brian Kelly's history of success.
Whoever takes over should be offensive-minded and bring in their own OC, but should also consider keeping Jauron and most of his squad to keep running the D (much like Tomlin did with LeBeau).
Since this is a thread about a coaching wish list, I will give my top 5:
1) Chip Kelly - Oregon - His understanding of offense and playing uptempo could bring the kind of identity and attitude this team has lacked for a long time, plus it would be a good fit for Weeden. With so many young players, it might benefit us to utilize our youth and bring some excitement to Cleveland.
2) Pat Shurmur - status quo ... yes, I hate to say it but I am starting to think he's coming around, maybe, sort of, I don't know. We'll find out more this Sunday when we play KC. Really would love to see a convincing victory... ever
3) Bruce Arians - Colts - can't argue with what he has done in his career, especially this season where he has been the interim HC and has been calling plays.
4) Mike McCoy - Denver OC - Another great offensive coach. Understands the importance of running the football and has proven that he can adapt his system to his players instead of vice versa.
5) Toss up... Brian Kelly - Notre Dame, or David Shaw - Stanford - Neither seem to be likely, but this is a "Wishlist". Probably leaning toward Shaw as he has had success running a pro-style offense in college. Plus, look at what he did with Andrew Luck. On the other hand, it's hard to argue with Brian Kelly's history of success.
1. PLease No
2. PLease No
3. Why NOt
4. Really Like
5. NO, and Maybe
Whoever takes over should be offensive-minded and bring in their own OC, but should also consider keeping Jauron and most of his squad to keep running the D (much like Tomlin did with LeBeau).
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login