Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Tribe Board
  3. general baseball question

general baseball question

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Tribe Board
4 Posts 3 Posters 688 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Cowsrus CowsrusC
    • 299 Posts
    • 41 Reputation
    CowsrusC Cowsrus wrote on last edited by Cowsrus
    #1

    Okay, I have a general baseball question. Maybe someone can help me.

    Flipping through the channels, I came across ESPN blooper top 50.

    Here's the question. I will say what I think and please let me know if it's right. Here's what happened. Carlos Beltre' was sliding into 2nd base, the catcher from the other team throws it to 2nd but no one was there to catch it but as he's sliding, the ball hits him in the left side of his helmet. Now is he safe or is he out?

    I would think he is out since the ball did in fact touch him. Is that the right call?

    BTW, 26 days until Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training! Anyone know anything about Fantasy Baseball yet? Just asking.

    Heidi

    Heidi ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' --John Wayne
    Oldcrow1945O 1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • CowsrusC Cowsrus

      Okay, I have a general baseball question. Maybe someone can help me.

      Flipping through the channels, I came across ESPN blooper top 50.

      Here's the question. I will say what I think and please let me know if it's right. Here's what happened. Carlos Beltre' was sliding into 2nd base, the catcher from the other team throws it to 2nd but no one was there to catch it but as he's sliding, the ball hits him in the left side of his helmet. Now is he safe or is he out?

      I would think he is out since the ball did in fact touch him. Is that the right call?

      BTW, 26 days until Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training! Anyone know anything about Fantasy Baseball yet? Just asking.

      Heidi

      Oldcrow1945 Oldcrow1945O
      • 1k Posts
      • 0 Reputation
      Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945 wrote on last edited by
      #2

      @cowsrus said:

      Okay, I have a general baseball question. Maybe someone can help me.

      Flipping through the channels, I came across ESPN blooper top 50.

      Here's the question. I will say what I think and please let me know if it's right. Here's what happened. Carlos Beltre' was sliding into 2nd base, the catcher from the other team throws it to 2nd but no one was there to catch it but as he's sliding, the ball hits him in the left side of his helmet. Now is he safe or is he out?

      I would think he is out since the ball did in fact touch him. Is that the right call?

      BTW, 26 days until Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training! Anyone know anything about Fantasy Baseball yet? Just asking.

      Heidi

      He's safe.

      The only time a runner will be out by a thrown ball hitting him would be in the case of a runner running out of the baseline to obstruct a fielder from catching the thrown ball.....You see often during bunts. A batter lays down a bunt and will run too far to the inside of the base line hoping to cause the Catcher to have a difficult time throwing to the first baseman or whoever is covering first base..

      If the runner advancing to first abse is too far inside the basepath and the catcher's thrown ball hits the runner as he is running to first base he is automatically ruled out by the unpire.

      Nothing to report on fantasy stuff yet.

      Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote! - "Ben Franklin"
      CowsrusC 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Oldcrow1945O Oldcrow1945

        @cowsrus said:

        Okay, I have a general baseball question. Maybe someone can help me.

        Flipping through the channels, I came across ESPN blooper top 50.

        Here's the question. I will say what I think and please let me know if it's right. Here's what happened. Carlos Beltre' was sliding into 2nd base, the catcher from the other team throws it to 2nd but no one was there to catch it but as he's sliding, the ball hits him in the left side of his helmet. Now is he safe or is he out?

        I would think he is out since the ball did in fact touch him. Is that the right call?

        BTW, 26 days until Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training! Anyone know anything about Fantasy Baseball yet? Just asking.

        Heidi

        He's safe.

        The only time a runner will be out by a thrown ball hitting him would be in the case of a runner running out of the baseline to obstruct a fielder from catching the thrown ball.....You see often during bunts. A batter lays down a bunt and will run too far to the inside of the base line hoping to cause the Catcher to have a difficult time throwing to the first baseman or whoever is covering first base..

        If the runner advancing to first abse is too far inside the basepath and the catcher's thrown ball hits the runner as he is running to first base he is automatically ruled out by the unpire.

        Nothing to report on fantasy stuff yet.

        Cowsrus CowsrusC
        • 299 Posts
        • 41 Reputation
        CowsrusC Cowsrus wrote on last edited by
        #3

        oldcow1945 said:

        He's safe.

        The only time a runner will be out by a thrown ball hitting him would be in the case of a runner running out of the baseline to obstruct a fielder from catching the thrown ball.....You see often during bunts. A batter lays down a bunt and will run too far to the inside of the base line hoping to cause the Catcher to have a difficult time throwing to the first baseman or whoever is covering first base..

        If the runner advancing to first abse is too far inside the basepath and the catcher's thrown ball hits the runner as he is running to first base he is automatically ruled out by the unpire.

        Nothing to report on fantasy stuff yet.

        Thanks OC, I appreciate your answer! I feel kinda stupid though, I shoulda known that. Great answer and explanation! Hang around here long enough and these guys teach ya a few things. Smart bunch!

        Heidi

        Heidi ''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.'' --John Wayne
        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • ballpeen ballpeenB Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
          • 9k Posts
          • 2k Reputation
          ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Don't feel stupid. You didn't know.

          Stupid would have been wanting to ask but not and just gone on assuming he would be out.

          If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.
          1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply

          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

          Register Login
          Reply
          • Reply as topic
          Log in to reply
          • Oldest to Newest
          • Newest to Oldest
          • Most Votes


          Theme
          • System
          • Light
          • Dark
          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

          • First post
            Last post
          0
          • Forums
          • Recent
          • Popular
          • Users
          • Donate