Skip to content

Maualuga

The Browns Board
42 17 2.9k
  • @shepwrite said:

    We're being built the Patriot way now for sure, with a bunch of old comrades from that team's genesis regathering to do it without Belicheck. I'd look for guys like Curry, Cushing, and Barwin more than Rey. I'm totally like minded on that now.

    My work is done.

  • Aloysius, I just wanted to know, are you declaring Rey a bust?

    Because it sounds like it.

    WE NEED ATTITUDE

    WE NEED MAUALUGATTUDE

  • No, I'm not. Just don't think he's worth anything near a top 5 pick. And as Shep said, he doesn't fit "the Patriot way."

    Aaron Curry does, which is part of the problem - Scott Pioli may pick him at 3.

  • I seriously look for a trade down. we will probably draft a lb in the first round, ...

    and it's a draft very deep in linebackers.

    Rey has looked like a bigtime player in the past, but then, learning he is considered to be small

    lower body and a good bit of a screwball,,,

    trading down, even with curry there, seems like the Browns could pick up a few very serious extra picks. like

    an extra second rounder, etc... we could still easily nab a Mathews or a Cushing later on in the first....

    seems like both may not be there in the second if they have a great combine etc.

    but to nab the rb Jennings or another linebacker AND a RT in the second round? The Browns need some extra picks in this draft. A ton of

    really terrific players will be going in the third round, so trade Da for a 3rd rounder, hopefully.

    happens every year, Rey and Laurnietis sp? fall, and guys like Orakpo, Mathews, and Cushing climb like crazy.

  • No, I'm not. Just don't think he's worth anything near a top 5 pick. And as Shep said, he doesn't fit "the Patriot way."

    Aaron Curry does, which is part of the problem - Scott Pioli may pick him at 3.

    Aloysius said:

    No, I'm not. Just don't think he's worth anything near a top 5 pick. And as Shep said, he doesn't fit "the Patriot way."

    Aaron Curry does, which is part of the problem - Scott Pioli may pick him at 3.

    I read something the other day that scared me....It was an old article about Mangini trading up to grab Derrel Revis...It talked about Mangini's love of bigger, more physical corners......Can anyone say '"Malcom Jenkins"?

    I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

    Mangini's short history in N.Y. showed he loved wheeling and dealing. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them trade down to pick up extra picks. Especially considering they don't have a third round pick.

  • Aloysius said:

    No, I'm not. Just don't think he's worth anything near a top 5 pick. And as Shep said, he doesn't fit "the Patriot way."

    Aaron Curry does, which is part of the problem - Scott Pioli may pick him at 3.

    I read something the other day that scared me....It was an old article about Mangini trading up to grab Derrel Revis...It talked about Mangini's love of bigger, more physical corners......Can anyone say '"Malcom Jenkins"?

    I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

    Mangini's short history in N.Y. showed he loved wheeling and dealing. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them trade down to pick up extra picks. Especially considering they don't have a third round pick.

    oldcow1945 said:

    I read something the other day that scared me....It was an old article about Mangini trading up to grab Derrel Revis...It talked about Mangini's love of bigger, more physical corners......Can anyone say '"Malcom Jenkins"?

    I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

    Me too. Then again, questions about Jenkins' long speed may put him out of consideration. IIRC, only a poorly-thrown Colt McCoy pass prevented Jenkins from getting beat deep in the bowl game.

    Also, it'll be important to see how Jenkins times in the short shuttle. Mangini seems to value that drill when evaluating DB's & receivers. For instance, Darrell Revis had a very good 4.08 time, and safety Eric Smith's 3.97 at his pro day was freakish/elite.

    I'm planning on doing a longer writeup on this (and how it could affect the guys we pick) sometime closer to the Combine.

  • oldcow1945 said:

    I read something the other day that scared me....It was an old article about Mangini trading up to grab Derrel Revis...It talked about Mangini's love of bigger, more physical corners......Can anyone say '"Malcom Jenkins"?

    I hope not but it wouldn't surprise me.

    Me too. Then again, questions about Jenkins' long speed may put him out of consideration. IIRC, only a poorly-thrown Colt McCoy pass prevented Jenkins from getting beat deep in the bowl game.

    Also, it'll be important to see how Jenkins times in the short shuttle. Mangini seems to value that drill when evaluating DB's & receivers. For instance, Darrell Revis had a very good 4.08 time, and safety Eric Smith's 3.97 at his pro day was freakish/elite.

    I'm planning on doing a longer writeup on this (and how it could affect the guys we pick) sometime closer to the Combine.

    Aloysius said:

    Me too. Then again, questions about Jenkins' long speed may put him out of consideration. IIRC, only a poorly-thrown Colt McCoy pass prevented Jenkins from getting beat deep in the bowl game.

    Also, it'll be important to see how Jenkins times in the short shuttle. Mangini seems to value that drill when evaluating DB's & receivers. For instance, Darrell Revis had a very good 4.08 time, and safety Eric Smith's 3.97 at his pro day was freakish/elite.

    I'm planning on doing a longer writeup on this (and how it could affect the guys we pick) sometime closer to the Combine.

    Yep, And Revis had a great straight 40 time as well. 4.32 or something like that I think. I don't think Jenkins runs that well.

  • Jenkins will most likely be a free safety in the NFL. He could be the next Ed Reed.

  • Could be. But I worry about him ending up like Michael Huff: a guy who's athletic enough to play any spot in the secondary, but isn't really good at any of them.

    If he runs a slow 40 at the Combine, I'd stay away from him (at least at the 5 spot).

  • "This morning, in front of a ballroom packed with NFL executives, coaches and scouts, prospects stood on stage in their underwear to be measured and weighed.

    When finished, they had to walk down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look."

    Man, think of how crazy that scene is. Imagine how nervous 95% of those kids are. Walking down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look.......weird. I understand why it's necessary (millions of dollars), but it still doesn't take away from the weirdness factor.

    @squintz said:

    "This morning, in front of a ballroom packed with NFL executives, coaches and scouts, prospects stood on stage in their underwear to be measured and weighed.

    When finished, they had to walk down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look."

    Man, think of how crazy that scene is. Imagine how nervous 95% of those kids are. Walking down the center aisle so everyone could get a closer look.......weird. I understand why it's necessary (millions of dollars), but it still doesn't take away from the weirdness factor.

    Hopefully they don't put high heels on them, that would just be too weird 😁

  • Could be. But I worry about him ending up like Michael Huff: a guy who's athletic enough to play any spot in the secondary, but isn't really good at any of them.

    If he runs a slow 40 at the Combine, I'd stay away from him (at least at the 5 spot).

    Aloysius said:

    Could be. But I worry about him ending up like Michael Huff: a guy who's athletic enough to play any spot in the secondary, but isn't really good at any of them.

    If he runs a slow 40 at the Combine, I'd stay away from him (at least at the 5 spot).

    I think Jenkins will be good. However, I agree that he is not the best player for us at #5. I'm on the Curry bandwagon with you on this.

  • Happy to hear that, JC.

    If Curry's gone at 5, Jenkins would be one of the guys I'd consider. But I need to see what he does at the Combine first.

  • No, I'm not. Just don't think he's worth anything near a top 5 pick. And as Shep said, he doesn't fit "the Patriot way."

    Aaron Curry does, which is part of the problem - Scott Pioli may pick him at 3.

    Aloysius said:

    No, I'm not. Just don't think he's worth anything near a top 5 pick. And as Shep said, he doesn't fit "the Patriot way."

    Aaron Curry does, which is part of the problem - Scott Pioli may pick him at 3.

    I wonder how sold Pioli and whoever is coaching there next year will be sold on Tyler Thigpen. He had good numbers this year, but if the braintrust isn't sold on him--and how could you have any faith in Croyle and whichever Huard they have on the roster?--I wouldn't be shocked to see them go for one of the pretty boy QBs to be the face of the franchise.

    Dennis

  • Aloysius said:

    No, I'm not. Just don't think he's worth anything near a top 5 pick. And as Shep said, he doesn't fit "the Patriot way."

    Aaron Curry does, which is part of the problem - Scott Pioli may pick him at 3.

    I wonder how sold Pioli and whoever is coaching there next year will be sold on Tyler Thigpen. He had good numbers this year, but if the braintrust isn't sold on him--and how could you have any faith in Croyle and whichever Huard they have on the roster?--I wouldn't be shocked to see them go for one of the pretty boy QBs to be the face of the franchise.

    Dennis

    @dencyguy said:

    I wonder how sold Pioli and whoever is coaching there next year will be sold on Tyler Thigpen. He had good numbers this year, but if the braintrust isn't sold on him--and how could you have any faith in Croyle and whichever Huard they have on the roster?--I wouldn't be shocked to see them go for one of the pretty boy QBs to be the face of the franchise.

    That's what I'm thinking. Thigpen only started having success once they switched to a spread offense, which the new head coach likely won't want to continue using (I'm assuming Herm gets the ax).

    On the other hand, there's a rumor circulating that Pioli will hire his father-in-law to be his head coach. And for whatever reason, Mark Sanchez doesn't strike me as a Parcells-type player.

  • This is a little unfair, but he may be too much of a celebrity type for Parcells. But you're right - it's very hard to know what Tuna wants.

    In other news, Rey Maualuga was better today:

    Tuesday Practice Notes: Very strong at the point of attack. He is able to move guys, and shed blocks, easily when he gets leverage. He looked stiff and flatfootted at times, but overall had a solid practice.
  • @shepwrite said:

    My daughter went ga-ga over Sanchez. It got weird.

    LOL....I know how that goes. At least in your case your Missy was gaga over somebody you could watch and enjoy.

    When mine was about 13 I had to take her and a couple of her girlfriends down to Atlanta for a overnight to see a Michael Bolton concert.

    Not so bad now, but at the time...yikes. 😳

  • Whether RM slides down or not, I still want to package DA & our 5th pick for additional picks...the LB I want is Clay M Jr. I do not want RM.

    Mike

  • Whether RM slides down or not, I still want to package DA & our 5th pick for additional picks...the LB I want is Clay M Jr. I do not want RM.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    Whether RM slides down or not, I still want to package DA & our 5th pick for additional picks...the LB I want is Clay M Jr. I do not want RM.

    Mike

    I think a huge mistake to pass on Rey M. We should try and trade down and take him at 12 or so but We haven't had a Quality ILB in FOREVER!

  • I know alot of you aren't Fans of Rey maualuga....fine and dandy....What I know is that in my lifetime the Browns have never had a great MLB....we have also never been to the superbowl.....the last time we had a good MLB was when we made it to the AFC championship game...ie Mike Johnson/ Eddie Johnson. Off the top of my head...how many superbowls Rings do Jack Lambert, Ken Norton, Teddy Bruschi....have? 11 more than the Browns have ever even come close to......3 guys, 11 rings out of 43 superbowls. Just a thought and just to name 3 guys! forget about the one ~hit Wonders, lewis, singletary and Brooks. The Identity of a defense starts and ends with the inside lineBackers...It is the reason the Cleveland Browns do not have and Identity on D!

    WE have always needed a stud ILB and we have never been to the SUPERBOWl....coincidence maybe but I don't think so!

  • Wednesday Practice Notes: Dominated his opponents in 1-on-1 pass rush drills. On one occasion, he tossed James Davis aside like a rag doll. Showed good recognition today in scrimmage work and had a good practice overall.