Skip to content

Draft Thoughts 2013

The Browns Board
396 64 21.7k
  • Its happening just as I called it in december...Werner and Moore are dropping while Jordan and Mingo are rising...Id really like to know whay our docs think of Jones' spinal issue. My top 4 in order for our 6 pick- Jordan, Jones, Ansah, Mingo (I would understand if they took Mingo over Ansah though because Ansah doesnt fill a need)

  • As it now looks like KC are trading with SF therefore leaving Geno Smith, anyone think we would be open to trading our 6 to a team in need of a QB if he's still available?

    I'm not particularly for or against the idea or even have a team in mind, it's just there seems a long list of players that could upgrade us on the defensive side even if we traded down slightly.

    @english-brown said:

    As it now looks like KC are trading with SF therefore leaving Geno Smith, anyone think we would be open to trading our 6 to a team in need of a QB if he's still available?

    I'm not particularly for or against the idea or even have a team in mind, it's just there seems a long list of players that could upgrade us on the defensive side even if we traded down slightly.

    I think its a definite possibility...especially with a bunch of QB needy teams picking right behind us.

  • Trade Down to gain a 2nd rd and possible future pick in 2014, Pick BPA Defense, add a QB in the 4th rd and a Guard somewhere in the draft. I have not honed in on any particular players yet.

  • I have two possible draft scenarios that I would absolutely love.

    #6- Jarvis Jones/Dion Jordan, OLB

    #68-David Amerson, CB

    #101- Gavin Escobar, TE

    then BPA to finish

    I also wouldn't mind seeing us trade back with Buffalo or Tennessee and add a second round pick, then take Mingo or Jordan if they're still available and then take EJ Manuel with our second round pick.

  • Trade Down to gain a 2nd rd and possible future pick in 2014, Pick BPA Defense, add a QB in the 4th rd and a Guard somewhere in the draft. I have not honed in on any particular players yet.

    @dawgdamit said:

    Trade Down to gain a 2nd rd and possible future pick in 2014, Pick BPA Defense, add a QB in the 4th rd and a Guard somewhere in the draft. I have not honed in on any particular players yet.

    Hopefully you are not forgetting the Browns needs in the secondary. Those are perhaps as dire as the need for OLBs. So do not dismiss the possibility that the Browns could go for Milliner at #6. If he is there I believe they will have to think long and hard about taking him.

    Though, as noted at various times here, some of those needs may be addressed in FA with the Browns salary cap room.

  • @dawgdamit said:

    Trade Down to gain a 2nd rd and possible future pick in 2014, Pick BPA Defense, add a QB in the 4th rd and a Guard somewhere in the draft. I have not honed in on any particular players yet.

    Hopefully you are not forgetting the Browns needs in the secondary. Those are perhaps as dire as the need for OLBs. So do not dismiss the possibility that the Browns could go for Milliner at #6. If he is there I believe they will have to think long and hard about taking him.

    Though, as noted at various times here, some of those needs may be addressed in FA with the Browns salary cap room.

    @the-gipper said:

    Hopefully you are not forgetting the Browns needs in the secondary. Those are perhaps as dire as the need for OLBs. So do not dismiss the possibility that the Browns could go for Milliner at #6. If he is there I believe they will have to think long and hard about taking him.

    Though, as noted at various times here, some of those needs may be addressed in FA with the Browns salary cap room.

    I really hope and believe we are going to grab a #2 CB via free agency. Milliner looks pretty good but Id hate to pass on a top of the line pass rusher for a #2 CB when we already have a great #1.

  • Post-Combine Mock

    6) Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon

    - I've been stating this for awhile now how Jordan will pay immediately dividends in many ways that can not always be judged by statistics. He can play every down, while having the ability to rush the passer and cover tight ends, as well as, slot receivers.

    68) Robert Alford, CB, Southeastern Lousiana

    - Alford had a hell of a combine. Combine this with his production (albeit FCS) and he will be gone by the early third. A great player to come in an compete for the CB position opposite of Haden.

    100*) Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas

    - Bailey is a player who raised his stock throughout the combine. The Browns need an upgrade at LG, especially in run blocking in which Bailey will help tremendously.

    131*) Denard Robinson, RB/WR, Michigan

    - With his lack of polish at a projected position, I believe Robinson will be available here. Place Robinson in a role where he can have about three carries and two designed receptions a game and he will flourish. I also would like the Browns to continue the double duty on returns that they experimented with late last year with Benjamin/Cribbs both deep.

    162*) Michael Williams, TE, Alabama

    - He has been dropping a bit, and the lack of invite to the combine will only hurt his stock. Williams could come in and become an excellent compliment to Cameron. I even think his blocking could be used from day one in two tight sets.

    164*) Sean Renfree, QB, Duke

    - Renfree has real NFL tools, and bringing him in within the sixth round would be a smart choice. He had good production, a lot of experience, and a strong arm. If Weeden flounders, I doubt Renfree would be the QB of the future, but it is worth a try and at the very least, the new staff will get a good back up.

    *Compensatory picks will change the order

  • Just for shits and giggles, if the Browns selected the players in their corresponding ranking from CBSports.com these are the players they would be taking:

    #6 Dee Milliner CB Alabama

    #68 Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee

    #100 Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB UConn

    #131 Keith Pough OLB Howard

    #162 Nickell Robey CB USC

    #164 John Lotulelei OLB UNLV

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

    Now, it is absurd to think things would go this way. Nevertheless, it is not absurd to think about considering these players at these positions. We certainly need a CB, but not 3. And we certainly need OLBs. (We don't need an OT).

    Anything here worth considering? If the Browns don't go with Milliner I would think that a Wreh-Wilson or Nick Robey would be on their radar.

    (Is John Lotulelei the brother of Star Lotulelei? Must be.)

  • Just for shits and giggles, if the Browns selected the players in their corresponding ranking from CBSports.com these are the players they would be taking:

    #6 Dee Milliner CB Alabama

    #68 Dallas Thomas OT Tennessee

    #100 Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB UConn

    #131 Keith Pough OLB Howard

    #162 Nickell Robey CB USC

    #164 John Lotulelei OLB UNLV

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings

    Now, it is absurd to think things would go this way. Nevertheless, it is not absurd to think about considering these players at these positions. We certainly need a CB, but not 3. And we certainly need OLBs. (We don't need an OT).

    Anything here worth considering? If the Browns don't go with Milliner I would think that a Wreh-Wilson or Nick Robey would be on their radar.

    (Is John Lotulelei the brother of Star Lotulelei? Must be.)

    @the-gipper said:

    (Is John Lotulelei the brother of Star Lotulelei? Must be.)

    I've read there is no relation

  • (Is John Lotulelei the brother of Star Lotulelei? Must be.)

    I've read there is no relation

    How can there not be? I mean, can there be more than 10 people in this country with that name?

  • (Is John Lotulelei the brother of Star Lotulelei? Must be.)

    I've read there is no relation

    How can there not be? I mean, can there be more than 10 people in this country with that name?

    @the-gipper said:

    How can there not be? I mean, can there be more than 10 people in this country with that name?

    It's a decently common Maori surname. It's more popular in New Zealand and Australia, but it's no more uncommon than, say, "Grabowski" or "Graham".

    According to heritage.com, there's something like 20 listed Lotulelei's in the US.

  • @the-gipper said:

    How can there not be? I mean, can there be more than 10 people in this country with that name?

    It's a decently common Maori surname. It's more popular in New Zealand and Australia, but it's no more uncommon than, say, "Grabowski" or "Graham".

    According to heritage.com, there's something like 20 listed Lotulelei's in the US.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It's a decently common Maori surname. It's more popular in New Zealand and Australia, but it's no more uncommon than, say, "Grabowski" or "Graham".

    According to heritage.com, there's something like 20 listed Lotulelei's in the US.

    OK, instead of 10 there are 20. And two of them happen to be in year's NFL draft.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It's a decently common Maori surname. It's more popular in New Zealand and Australia, but it's no more uncommon than, say, "Grabowski" or "Graham".

    According to heritage.com, there's something like 20 listed Lotulelei's in the US.

    OK, instead of 10 there are 20. And two of them happen to be in year's NFL draft.

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, instead of 10 there are 20. And two of them happen to be in year's NFL draft.

    I mean, those are the ones just listed on the website. I'm sure there are many, many more that have never signed up for an account.

  • BOTTOM LINE Lotulelei (no relation with Utah defensive tackle Star) needed some time to take advantage of his gifts at the junior college level, and didn’t earn a starting spot until later in his junior year. There are plenty of things to like about his attacking style, however, allowing him to project as a late-round inside linebacker prospect with good special teams potential.

    this is from nfl.com combine bio

  • "131*) Denard Robinson, RB/WR, Michigan

    - With his lack of polish at a projected position, I believe Robinson will be available here. Place Robinson in a role where he can have about three carries and two designed receptions a game and he will flourish. I also would like the Browns to continue the double duty on returns that they experimented with late last year with Benjamin/Cribbs both deep."

    Amen.

    Fill the whole Cribbs leaves as a returner.

    Add another WR that could develop into a great slot option

    Act as a WildDawg QB when we want to do that

    Finally, serve as a change of pace back if needed.

    As someone that's watched every snap Denard has ever taken I think he's more suited to be a HB. Its most like what he's been doing for 3 years. He was a starting HB for the first time ever against SC and put up 100 yards rushing on their good defense.

    I know I'm biased, but I really think this pick could fill some holes in our roster after Cribbs bounces. Also adds that important home run potential.

    I know he's a project, but his only real starting duty at first will be return man as his main position, whatever the coaches want, develops.

  • "131*) Denard Robinson, RB/WR, Michigan

    - With his lack of polish at a projected position, I believe Robinson will be available here. Place Robinson in a role where he can have about three carries and two designed receptions a game and he will flourish. I also would like the Browns to continue the double duty on returns that they experimented with late last year with Benjamin/Cribbs both deep."

    Amen.

    Fill the whole Cribbs leaves as a returner.

    Add another WR that could develop into a great slot option

    Act as a WildDawg QB when we want to do that

    Finally, serve as a change of pace back if needed.

    As someone that's watched every snap Denard has ever taken I think he's more suited to be a HB. Its most like what he's been doing for 3 years. He was a starting HB for the first time ever against SC and put up 100 yards rushing on their good defense.

    I know I'm biased, but I really think this pick could fill some holes in our roster after Cribbs bounces. Also adds that important home run potential.

    I know he's a project, but his only real starting duty at first will be return man as his main position, whatever the coaches want, develops.

    @mld-woody said:

    "131*) Denard Robinson, RB/WR, Michigan

    - With his lack of polish at a projected position, I believe Robinson will be available here. Place Robinson in a role where he can have about three carries and two designed receptions a game and he will flourish. I also would like the Browns to continue the double duty on returns that they experimented with late last year with Benjamin/Cribbs both deep."

    Amen.

    Fill the whole Cribbs leaves as a returner.

    Add another WR that could develop into a great slot option

    Act as a WildDawg QB when we want to do that

    Finally, serve as a change of pace back if needed.

    As someone that's watched every snap Denard has ever taken I think he's more suited to be a HB. Its most like what he's been doing for 3 years. He was a starting HB for the first time ever against SC and put up 100 yards rushing on their good defense.

    I know I'm biased, but I really think this pick could fill some holes in our roster after Cribbs bounces. Also adds that important home run potential.

    I know he's a project, but his only real starting duty at first will be return man as his main position, whatever the coaches want, develops.

    So...a slower Travis Benjamin.

    No thanks.

  • @mld-woody said:

    "131*) Denard Robinson, RB/WR, Michigan

    - With his lack of polish at a projected position, I believe Robinson will be available here. Place Robinson in a role where he can have about three carries and two designed receptions a game and he will flourish. I also would like the Browns to continue the double duty on returns that they experimented with late last year with Benjamin/Cribbs both deep."

    Amen.

    Fill the whole Cribbs leaves as a returner.

    Add another WR that could develop into a great slot option

    Act as a WildDawg QB when we want to do that

    Finally, serve as a change of pace back if needed.

    As someone that's watched every snap Denard has ever taken I think he's more suited to be a HB. Its most like what he's been doing for 3 years. He was a starting HB for the first time ever against SC and put up 100 yards rushing on their good defense.

    I know I'm biased, but I really think this pick could fill some holes in our roster after Cribbs bounces. Also adds that important home run potential.

    I know he's a project, but his only real starting duty at first will be return man as his main position, whatever the coaches want, develops.

    So...a slower Travis Benjamin.

    No thanks.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    So...a slower Travis Benjamin.

    No thanks.

    Slower by .1 seconds in a 40. Consider the fact Denard has 30 pounds on the guy, and can potentially do a lot more for the team, including HB, I wouldn't worry about it.

    I don't think Benjamin will last as a full time return man at 169 pounds.

    All I'm saying is that if we are losing Cribbs, and Denard is still available, I think it would be a good pick

  • Denard would be a good pick if we lose Cribbs.

    He could be our third RB, we are losing Jackson and Obie, ruturns kicks and work him into some receiver sets.

    Zombo

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    So...a slower Travis Benjamin.

    No thanks.

    Slower by .1 seconds in a 40. Consider the fact Denard has 30 pounds on the guy, and can potentially do a lot more for the team, including HB, I wouldn't worry about it.

    I don't think Benjamin will last as a full time return man at 169 pounds.

    All I'm saying is that if we are losing Cribbs, and Denard is still available, I think it would be a good pick

    @mld-woody said:

    Slower by .1 seconds in a 40. Consider the fact Denard has 30 pounds on the guy, and can potentially do a lot more for the team, including HB, I wouldn't worry about it.

    I don't think Benjamin will last as a full time return man at 169 pounds.

    All I'm saying is that if we are losing Cribbs, and Denard is still available, I think it would be a good pick

    A tenth of a second can be a difference between a touchdown and a tackle.

    I just don't see the value in having two spots on a 53 man roster designated for solely return men and, at best, 4th WR's.

  • Denard Robinson would be a very poor pick by the Browns -

    from cbssports.som, on Denard Robinson:

    "WEAKNESSES: Extremely streaky as a passer with too many inconsistent decisions, low-percentage pass attempts and messy mechanics. Shows less than ideal attention to detail as a route-runner. Struggles with drops, and allows far too many passes to get into his pads. Fights the ball as a receiver and lacks sharpness in his routes, two areas that need improving before he is ready for the NFL. He also needed help on where to line up pre-snap on several occasions, indicating just how raw he is at the position. Struggled to field punts during Senior Bowl practices."

    eh....NO.