Skip to content

Draft Thoughts 2013

The Browns Board
396 64 21.7k
  • What the hell did we get in the trade?

    @dab7291993 said:

    What the hell did we get in the trade?

    We got the Colts' 2014 4th round pick for the 5th this year.

  • Thoughts on the recent trades... So smart. There isn't much talent out there today. At least not more than what they get in the 2nd wave of FA coming in a few weeks. Why not add some middle round picks for next year when the evaluation process of the team is more complete? I do think that if Simon weren't picked by the Seahawks, the Browns would've taken him. Since he was gone, so were they (with good value too). I've been really impressed by the way they've handled this off-season.

    @philbert79 said:

    Thoughts on the recent trades... So smart. There isn't much talent out there today. At least not more than what they get in the 2nd wave of FA coming in a few weeks. Why not add some middle round picks for next year when the evaluation process of the team is more complete? I do think that if Simon weren't picked by the Seahawks, the Browns would've taken him. Since he was gone, so were they (with good value too). I've been really impressed by the way they've handled this off-season.

    No talent in this draft? Most of the experts have been saying this draft is unusually deep, and I agree. Browns passed today on some fine cornerbacks and safeties that would have helped complete the journey toward development of a very competitive defense. Horrible decision by Lombardi not to engage in the draft today and fill out the defense. But this is why no teams were interested in Lombardi as a GM and why he has compiled such a bad track record. And there is Joe Banner, who thinks he knows all but has blind spots he is not aware of as manifested in the embarrassing showing today .

  • And to think... we waited all offseason for this shit...

    @poeticg said:

    And to think... we waited all offseason for this shit...

    Probably the most direct and accurate comment have read on this very sad day. I had googled the Browns and saw a Yahoo headline that read: "Will the Cleveland Browns shatter the dreams of fans again in 2013?" Today we got our answer, for sure!

  • @poeticg said:

    And to think... we waited all offseason for this shit...

    Probably the most direct and accurate comment have read on this very sad day. I had googled the Browns and saw a Yahoo headline that read: "Will the Cleveland Browns shatter the dreams of fans again in 2013?" Today we got our answer, for sure!

    Skeptical2013 said:

    Probably the most direct and accurate comment have read on this very sad day. I had googled the Browns and saw a Yahoo headline that read: "Will the Cleveland Browns shatter the dreams of fans again in 2013?" Today we got our answer, for sure!

    Yep, so give up your tickets, I will gladly use them to watch the Browns this year.

  • @philbert79 said:

    Thoughts on the recent trades... So smart. There isn't much talent out there today. At least not more than what they get in the 2nd wave of FA coming in a few weeks. Why not add some middle round picks for next year when the evaluation process of the team is more complete? I do think that if Simon weren't picked by the Seahawks, the Browns would've taken him. Since he was gone, so were they (with good value too). I've been really impressed by the way they've handled this off-season.

    No talent in this draft? Most of the experts have been saying this draft is unusually deep, and I agree. Browns passed today on some fine cornerbacks and safeties that would have helped complete the journey toward development of a very competitive defense. Horrible decision by Lombardi not to engage in the draft today and fill out the defense. But this is why no teams were interested in Lombardi as a GM and why he has compiled such a bad track record. And there is Joe Banner, who thinks he knows all but has blind spots he is not aware of as manifested in the embarrassing showing today .

    Skeptical2013 said:

    No talent in this draft? Most of the experts have been saying this draft is unusually deep, and I agree. Browns passed today on some fine cornerbacks and safeties that would have helped complete the journey toward development of a very competitive defense. Horrible decision by Lombardi not to engage in the draft today and fill out the defense. But this is why no teams were interested in Lombardi as a GM and why he has compiled such a bad track record. And there is Joe Banner, who thinks he knows all but has blind spots he is not aware of as manifested in the embarrassing showing today .

    Sure there's depth, but you don't find immediate starters in the 4th and 5th rounds of a "depth" draft. Like I said, I think they had a few players in mind that were all picked before them. The question that should be asked is "Is this player I'm about to draft any better than the (1) players I have on my roster, or (2) a veteran UFA that is available at this position?".

  • Thoughts on the recent trades... So smart. There isn't much talent out there today. At least not more than what they get in the 2nd wave of FA coming in a few weeks. Why not add some middle round picks for next year when the evaluation process of the team is more complete? I do think that if Simon weren't picked by the Seahawks, the Browns would've taken him. Since he was gone, so were they (with good value too). I've been really impressed by the way they've handled this off-season.

    @philbert79 said:

    Thoughts on the recent trades... So smart. There isn't much talent out there today. At least not more than what they get in the 2nd wave of FA coming in a few weeks. Why not add some middle round picks for next year when the evaluation process of the team is more complete? I do think that if Simon weren't picked by the Seahawks, the Browns would've taken him. Since he was gone, so were they (with good value too). I've been really impressed by the way they've handled this off-season.

    Not much talent out there today? Are you a Lombardi relative? Sure hasn't stopped all the activity involving nearly every other team in the NFL! Browns fans heard from years from Holmgrem about being patient. Browns fans have been patient for 14 years. Enough of this nonsense!

  • Skeptical2013 said:

    No talent in this draft? Most of the experts have been saying this draft is unusually deep, and I agree. Browns passed today on some fine cornerbacks and safeties that would have helped complete the journey toward development of a very competitive defense. Horrible decision by Lombardi not to engage in the draft today and fill out the defense. But this is why no teams were interested in Lombardi as a GM and why he has compiled such a bad track record. And there is Joe Banner, who thinks he knows all but has blind spots he is not aware of as manifested in the embarrassing showing today .

    Sure there's depth, but you don't find immediate starters in the 4th and 5th rounds of a "depth" draft. Like I said, I think they had a few players in mind that were all picked before them. The question that should be asked is "Is this player I'm about to draft any better than the (1) players I have on my roster, or (2) a veteran UFA that is available at this position?".

    @philbert79 said:

    Sure there's depth, but you don't find immediate starters in the 4th and 5th rounds of a "depth" draft. Like I said, I think they had a few players in mind that were all picked before them. The question that should be asked is "Is this player I'm about to draft any better than the (1) players I have on my roster, or (2) a veteran UFA that is available at this position?".

    Nonsense. This is where a good scouting effort comes into play. What's shocking to me is that despite all the press about the Browns bringing in a bunch of players and spending a lot of time with them, they don't even bring in or spend a lot of time with their their critical #3 draft choice (at least that's what McFadden said)? If this happened in the professional world of business, the manager, Lombardi, would get fired.

  • we finally made another pick. It only took them 107 picks

  • @philbert79 said:

    Sure there's depth, but you don't find immediate starters in the 4th and 5th rounds of a "depth" draft. Like I said, I think they had a few players in mind that were all picked before them. The question that should be asked is "Is this player I'm about to draft any better than the (1) players I have on my roster, or (2) a veteran UFA that is available at this position?".

    Nonsense. This is where a good scouting effort comes into play. What's shocking to me is that despite all the press about the Browns bringing in a bunch of players and spending a lot of time with them, they don't even bring in or spend a lot of time with their their critical #3 draft choice (at least that's what McFadden said)? If this happened in the professional world of business, the manager, Lombardi, would get fired.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    Nonsense. This is where a good scouting effort comes into play. What's shocking to me is that despite all the press about the Browns bringing in a bunch of players and spending a lot of time with them, they don't even bring in or spend a lot of time with their their critical #3 draft choice (at least that's what McFadden said)? If this happened in the professional world of business, the manager, Lombardi, would get fired.

    Not a relative... not even a fan of Lombardi. Fire him for all I care. If you think he's running this draft, you should be fired with him. If you have an issue, it's with Banner. Let's be clear about that...

    Nonsense? Nonsense is the constant negativity with EVERYTHING this team does. They're damned if they do, damned if they don't. Tell me who exactly you would have taken in the 4th and 5th rounds. Clearly, you've done all the scouting and have talked to all of the college coaches and have ran an entire draft before. Let's go GM... You're on the clock.

  • For all who want to know who will be a sr this year or draft eligible as a QB.

    http://joshmitchell24.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/2014-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings/

    There will be one for us to take in the 1st 3 round if we need to do so.

  • Thoughts on the recent trades... So smart. There isn't much talent out there today. At least not more than what they get in the 2nd wave of FA coming in a few weeks. Why not add some middle round picks for next year when the evaluation process of the team is more complete? I do think that if Simon weren't picked by the Seahawks, the Browns would've taken him. Since he was gone, so were they (with good value too). I've been really impressed by the way they've handled this off-season.

    @philbert79 said:

    Thoughts on the recent trades... So smart. There isn't much talent out there today. At least not more than what they get in the 2nd wave of FA coming in a few weeks. Why not add some middle round picks for next year when the evaluation process of the team is more complete? I do think that if Simon weren't picked by the Seahawks, the Browns would've taken him. Since he was gone, so were they (with good value too). I've been really impressed by the way they've handled this off-season.

    We have an entire new coaching staff that have said they will play aggressively on D AND O. You're correct, we don't really know yet WHAT our real needs are. How will guys like Sheard, Robertson, J M Johnson, Forte, Bademosi, Skrine, etc adjust to & benefit from all our new philosophy & schemes? I'm excited...Yeah, I've been excited for over 50 years, but I love my Browns!

    I also like the moves we have made.

    Mike

  • I like the McFadden pick. Brian Sipe is the QB coach at McFadden's school.

    Also, McFadden is a baller -- you don't earn all-MWC honors 2 years in a row in the conference with Utah and Boise State without doing work. He was on the first watch list for the Thorpe award. Ranked #12 nationally in passes broken up with 17. Tabbed a midseason All-American (honorable mention) by Phil Steele. He also returns punts.

  • 🙂 The Slaughter kid could be a good pick providing he is healthy. I do like the Mingo and McFadden picks though. I also like picking up Bess from Miami. I don't know anything about our last two picks.

  • I'm feeling a little better about the draft today. The thing that still bothers me and what I'll be watching for is who we took and who was still there for us to take when we took them.

    Mingo/Jones

    McFadden/Mathieu

    Slaughter/Rambo

    If we get better production in 2/3 of these guys then I'll consider this draft a win. But right now, I'm still burning about this. We'll see.

    I like that they went and got Paul Kruger's brother, he could be the real deal. When I was learning up on Paul I came across Dave and I thought that I'd be nice to get him someday. I had NO idea that he was coming out this year. Maybe that's why I'm breathing a little easier today.

    I do like the fact that we'll have 2 extra picks next year. Next year should be a better day to watch day 2 rounds 2/3. Then on day 3 we'll have 2 selections in that first round. We now have an even greater reason to wish ill will on the Steelers, and that's something that I can get behind.

    I was excited about this team before the draft. The draft was what it was, now they need to find some Cribbs like players in UDFA and all will be well. The team has some serious killers on the front 7 and if that doesn't help McFadden and Haden be better corners I don't know what will.

  • I'm feeling a little better about the draft today. The thing that still bothers me and what I'll be watching for is who we took and who was still there for us to take when we took them.

    Mingo/Jones

    McFadden/Mathieu

    Slaughter/Rambo

    If we get better production in 2/3 of these guys then I'll consider this draft a win. But right now, I'm still burning about this. We'll see.

    I like that they went and got Paul Kruger's brother, he could be the real deal. When I was learning up on Paul I came across Dave and I thought that I'd be nice to get him someday. I had NO idea that he was coming out this year. Maybe that's why I'm breathing a little easier today.

    I do like the fact that we'll have 2 extra picks next year. Next year should be a better day to watch day 2 rounds 2/3. Then on day 3 we'll have 2 selections in that first round. We now have an even greater reason to wish ill will on the Steelers, and that's something that I can get behind.

    I was excited about this team before the draft. The draft was what it was, now they need to find some Cribbs like players in UDFA and all will be well. The team has some serious killers on the front 7 and if that doesn't help McFadden and Haden be better corners I don't know what will.

    @poeticg said:

    I'm feeling a little better about the draft today. The thing that still bothers me and what I'll be watching for is who we took and who was still there for us to take when we took them.

    Mingo/Jones

    McFadden/Mathieu

    Slaughter/Rambo

    If we get better production in 2/3 of these guys then I'll consider this draft a win. But right now, I'm still burning about this. We'll see.

    I like that they went and got Paul Kruger's brother, he could be the real deal. When I was learning up on Paul I came across Dave and I thought that I'd be nice to get him someday. I had NO idea that he was coming out this year. Maybe that's why I'm breathing a little easier today.

    I do like the fact that we'll have 2 extra picks next year. Next year should be a better day to watch day 2 rounds 2/3. Then on day 3 we'll have 2 selections in that first round. We now have an even greater reason to wish ill will on the Steelers, and that's something that I can get behind.

    I was excited about this team before the draft. The draft was what it was, now they need to find some Cribbs like players in UDFA and all will be well. The team has some serious killers on the front 7 and if that doesn't help McFadden and Haden be better corners I don't know what will.

    amazing what a good nights rest can do

  • I'm feeling a little better about the draft today. The thing that still bothers me and what I'll be watching for is who we took and who was still there for us to take when we took them.

    Mingo/Jones

    McFadden/Mathieu

    Slaughter/Rambo

    If we get better production in 2/3 of these guys then I'll consider this draft a win. But right now, I'm still burning about this. We'll see.

    I like that they went and got Paul Kruger's brother, he could be the real deal. When I was learning up on Paul I came across Dave and I thought that I'd be nice to get him someday. I had NO idea that he was coming out this year. Maybe that's why I'm breathing a little easier today.

    I do like the fact that we'll have 2 extra picks next year. Next year should be a better day to watch day 2 rounds 2/3. Then on day 3 we'll have 2 selections in that first round. We now have an even greater reason to wish ill will on the Steelers, and that's something that I can get behind.

    I was excited about this team before the draft. The draft was what it was, now they need to find some Cribbs like players in UDFA and all will be well. The team has some serious killers on the front 7 and if that doesn't help McFadden and Haden be better corners I don't know what will.

    @poeticg said:

    I'm feeling a little better about the draft today. The thing that still bothers me and what I'll be watching for is who we took and who was still there for us to take when we took them.

    Mingo/Jones

    McFadden/Mathieu

    Slaughter/Rambo

    If we get better production in 2/3 of these guys then I'll consider this draft a win. But right now, I'm still burning about this. We'll see.

    I like that they went and got Paul Kruger's brother, he could be the real deal. When I was learning up on Paul I came across Dave and I thought that I'd be nice to get him someday. I had NO idea that he was coming out this year. Maybe that's why I'm breathing a little easier today.

    I do like the fact that we'll have 2 extra picks next year. Next year should be a better day to watch day 2 rounds 2/3. Then on day 3 we'll have 2 selections in that first round. We now have an even greater reason to wish ill will on the Steelers, and that's something that I can get behind.

    I was excited about this team before the draft. The draft was what it was, now they need to find some Cribbs like players in UDFA and all will be well. The team has some serious killers on the front 7 and if that doesn't help McFadden and Haden be better corners I don't know what will.

    Again, this is just a case of you sniffing around the "big names" that you have heard of over people you haven't heard of. The thing is, one of the reasons you have heard of Rambo and Mathieu is because of the negative publicity they garnered for themselves.

    McFadden and Slaughter did not have any negative publicity. They were not kicked of their team, they did not get suspended etc.

    You are no more draft guru than I, but you have this celebrity complex.

    Maybe the guys we got are the good, solid, even better players,......just not the publicity hounds you always tend to gravitate toward.

  • Here's the conclusions from National Football Post's one page scouting report for each draft pick

    McFadden: "He has very good overall athleticism and strong natural football instincts. He warrants third round consideration because of his solid overall football instincts and competitiveness, along with his ability to locate, and make plays on the ball. Overall, despite lacking elite playing speed, McFadden has all the tools to be a solid, productive starting cornerback in the NFL."

    Slaughter: "Jamoris Slaughter has slipped through this draft season relatively unnoticed by the media because of the Achilles injury that cut his senior season short, but his play as a junior at Notre Dame is clearly on par or better than that of many of the 2nd tier prospects at the position this year. He will need to add another 10-15 lbs of bulk to his frame but if he can recover from his current injury and maintain his health long term, Slaughter has the skill set to develop into a starter."

    Bryant: "With solid coaching, Bryant should be a starter by year 2 in the NFL. Overall, I expect some team to take a gamble on Bryant in the late 3rd or 4th round because players with natural pass rush skills and good athleticism are hard to find."

    Gilkey: "A highly productive small school lineman, Gilkey has the size, strength, competitiveness and athleticism to eventually carry over his production to the NFL as a guard. He is far from ready to contribute as a rookie, but within a few seasons I expect to see him challenging for a starting job. Overall, I would not draft Gilkey in the first three rounds, but come the fifth or sixth round he is worth a gamble. While he is nowhere near the athlete that Jared Veldheer is, Gilkey was a more consistent blocker at Chadron State than Veldheer was at Hillsdale."

    Mingo: "His use of hands, quickness and instincts help him to stay free from and avoid blocks and explode to the ball to make the play. If used as a wide rusher in a 43 scheme or an outside linebacker in a 34 scheme then I would definitely draft him in the first round as I believe he can be a dynamic play-maker who impacts games as a run defender and pass rusher."

  • @poeticg said:

    I'm feeling a little better about the draft today. The thing that still bothers me and what I'll be watching for is who we took and who was still there for us to take when we took them.

    Mingo/Jones

    McFadden/Mathieu

    Slaughter/Rambo

    If we get better production in 2/3 of these guys then I'll consider this draft a win. But right now, I'm still burning about this. We'll see.

    I like that they went and got Paul Kruger's brother, he could be the real deal. When I was learning up on Paul I came across Dave and I thought that I'd be nice to get him someday. I had NO idea that he was coming out this year. Maybe that's why I'm breathing a little easier today.

    I do like the fact that we'll have 2 extra picks next year. Next year should be a better day to watch day 2 rounds 2/3. Then on day 3 we'll have 2 selections in that first round. We now have an even greater reason to wish ill will on the Steelers, and that's something that I can get behind.

    I was excited about this team before the draft. The draft was what it was, now they need to find some Cribbs like players in UDFA and all will be well. The team has some serious killers on the front 7 and if that doesn't help McFadden and Haden be better corners I don't know what will.

    Again, this is just a case of you sniffing around the "big names" that you have heard of over people you haven't heard of. The thing is, one of the reasons you have heard of Rambo and Mathieu is because of the negative publicity they garnered for themselves.

    McFadden and Slaughter did not have any negative publicity. They were not kicked of their team, they did not get suspended etc.

    You are no more draft guru than I, but you have this celebrity complex.

    Maybe the guys we got are the good, solid, even better players,......just not the publicity hounds you always tend to gravitate toward.

    @the-gipper said:

    Again, this is just a case of you sniffing around the "big names" that you have heard of over people you haven't heard of. The thing is, one of the reasons you have heard of Rambo and Mathieu is because of the negative publicity they garnered for themselves.

    McFadden and Slaughter did not have any negative publicity. They were not kicked of their team, they did not get suspended etc.

    You are no more draft guru than I, but you have this celebrity complex.

    Maybe the guys we got are the good, solid, even better players,......just not the publicity hounds you always tend to gravitate toward.

    I didn't write the post you are referencing, but the reason I know Rambo is that I have seen him play in person! It's likely you are attacking him without having had the benefit of seeing him play in a bunch of games. Rambo is a far better athlete than most of the safeties in this draft and he will really help a team. I doubt Slaughter will be much of a help to the Browns this season.