Draft Thoughts 2013
-
Skeptical2013 said:
I didn't write the post you are referencing, but the reason I know Rambo is that I have seen him play in person! It's likely you are attacking him without having had the benefit of seeing him play in a bunch of games. Rambo is a far better athlete than most of the safeties in this draft and he will really help a team. I doubt Slaughter will be much of a help to the Browns this season.
So? You have seen him play in person. I have seen a Division III game in person. That doesn't mean I think the Browns should draft any of those players.
The guy to whom my comment was directed almost always falls in love with hyped up players.
If the Browns had drafted Rambo, I would have been fine with that....because I too have heard of him....because of his checkered background. Whether he is a better athlete is irrelevent. What I want is the better football player.
The Browns talent evaluators thought Slaughter the better player.....so, I hate to keep using this idiom,,, but the fact is the Browns FO is paid to do this and you are not. I suspect the Browns scouts too saw Rambo play.....and Slaughter..
I guess when it comes to your amateur opinion or their professional opinion....you know who I vote for.
So? You have seen him play in person. I have seen a Division III game in person. That doesn't mean I think the Browns should draft any of those players.
The guy to whom my comment was directed almost always falls in love with hyped up players.
If the Browns had drafted Rambo, I would have been fine with that....because I too have heard of him....because of his checkered background. Whether he is a better athlete is irrelevent. What I want is the better football player.
The Browns talent evaluators thought Slaughter the better player.....so, I hate to keep using this idiom,,, but the fact is the Browns FO is paid to do this and you are not. I suspect the Browns scouts too saw Rambo play.....and Slaughter..
I guess when it comes to your amateur opinion or their professional opinion....you know who I vote for.
Well, certainly my opinion is that of an amateur vs. a paid NFL scoutand you make solid points about that. The Browns scouting should be far superior to my eye. But I am often right about what I see. I expect Baccari Rambo, Alex Ogletree and John Jenkins from the 2012 Georgia squad to be solid NFL players. I think Jarvis Jones is a bit overrated and I have the same view of Barky Mingo of the Browns. Another player on the 2012 Georgia squad the Browns should have looked at is a safety named Williams and the University of Florida had two safeties who are going to be find footballers in the NFL. All will be better than Slaughter, in my opinion. The Browns really blew it re the secondary this off-season unless they have a plan we aren't privy to in this free agency period 2. I believe Horton's old decent safety, Kerry Rhodes, is still available, but there are reasons he is still on the market I'd rather avoid discussing.
-
I disagree completely with the negativity about Slaughter and McFadden.
McFadden only lacks things he can't change.. his height and top-end speed. He'll never run a 4.2, but he did run a 4.50 -- faster than both of the Seahawks corners. His projection is that of a solid starter in the NFL - which is why his NFL.com draft comparison is Brent Grimes. As the Browns quoted about him, "He just makes plays."
Slaughter's junior year was better than Rambo's junior year.. pre-injury, he was slated to be at the top of the FS board after Reid/Vaccaro. Although the injury does suck, I'm glad to see the Browns taking a shot at getting an outstanding player.
The other picks were all expected to be drafted higher. IMHO this draft is a win.
*For the first time I can remember, all of our WR will be proven young players.
*We have the flexibility next year to get one of the top4 QB's who are all franchise-level, unlike this draft where Weeden is easily better than everyone out there.
*All of our picks are slated to be solid starters, perhaps not year 1 but they have the skills to get there.
*IF Mingo can add 10 pounds of muscle and maintain his speed, he'll be special
The only weakness of this draft was not drafting good OL sooner than the 7th round. The one thing all super bowl champions have is tremendous strength at both OL and DL.. and we're there on DL, but not yet on OL.
I disagree completely with the negativity about Slaughter and McFadden.
McFadden only lacks things he can't change.. his height and top-end speed. He'll never run a 4.2, but he did run a 4.50 -- faster than both of the Seahawks corners. His projection is that of a solid starter in the NFL - which is why his NFL.com draft comparison is Brent Grimes. As the Browns quoted about him, "He just makes plays."
Slaughter's junior year was better than Rambo's junior year.. pre-injury, he was slated to be at the top of the FS board after Reid/Vaccaro. Although the injury does suck, I'm glad to see the Browns taking a shot at getting an outstanding player.
The other picks were all expected to be drafted higher. IMHO this draft is a win.
*For the first time I can remember, all of our WR will be proven young players.
*We have the flexibility next year to get one of the top4 QB's who are all franchise-level, unlike this draft where Weeden is easily better than everyone out there.
*All of our picks are slated to be solid starters, perhaps not year 1 but they have the skills to get there.
*IF Mingo can add 10 pounds of muscle and maintain his speed, he'll be special
The only weakness of this draft was not drafting good OL sooner than the 7th round. The one thing all super bowl champions have is tremendous strength at both OL and DL.. and we're there on DL, but not yet on OL.
Re Slaughter's junior year better than Rambo's, no offense, but the caliber of competition Rambo played against is superior to what Slaughter played against. We saw that play out in the national title game last season. I'd add that Rambo is fresh off playing most of a 2012 season, including a bowl game in January, while Slaughter hasn't played since last September and is coming off a fairly severe injury. I would have taken Rambo or any of a half dozen or more other safeties that were available in rounds 4-7.
-
I'll say it again: the Browns deserve a B draft grade simply for not taking Geno Smith. Mingo is a boom or bust prospect but he won't set the franchise back 3 years if he sucks. Weeden will get to show his true colors this year. If Not 2014 is already shaping up to be about as good as the 2012 QB class. Relax and let these guys play football.
Plus with all these extra picks in 2014, we might be able to package up for a franchise QB should we need one.
I'll say it again: the Browns deserve a B draft grade simply for not taking Geno Smith. Mingo is a boom or bust prospect but he won't set the franchise back 3 years if he sucks. Weeden will get to show his true colors this year. If Not 2014 is already shaping up to be about as good as the 2012 QB class. Relax and let these guys play football.
Plus with all these extra picks in 2014, we might be able to package up for a franchise QB should we need one.
It's clear to me the Browns are going to go all out to get the #2 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft and take QB Terry Bridgewater. No doubt in my mind that the #1 pick in the 2014 draft will be Clowney, the great DE from South Carolina. This assumes both players are healthy after next season.
-
I don't think an extra 3rd and 4th is enough ammo to trade up for a potential franchise QB, in terms of ammo it's like I'm handing you a knife and sling shot and telling you to go kill that bear.
A little worried about this Mcfadden,word on him is he doesn't like to hit and he's just under 5'9 with a 34 inch vertical? This guy better cover like Deion.
-
So? You have seen him play in person. I have seen a Division III game in person. That doesn't mean I think the Browns should draft any of those players.
The guy to whom my comment was directed almost always falls in love with hyped up players.
If the Browns had drafted Rambo, I would have been fine with that....because I too have heard of him....because of his checkered background. Whether he is a better athlete is irrelevent. What I want is the better football player.
The Browns talent evaluators thought Slaughter the better player.....so, I hate to keep using this idiom,,, but the fact is the Browns FO is paid to do this and you are not. I suspect the Browns scouts too saw Rambo play.....and Slaughter..
I guess when it comes to your amateur opinion or their professional opinion....you know who I vote for.
Well, certainly my opinion is that of an amateur vs. a paid NFL scoutand you make solid points about that. The Browns scouting should be far superior to my eye. But I am often right about what I see. I expect Baccari Rambo, Alex Ogletree and John Jenkins from the 2012 Georgia squad to be solid NFL players. I think Jarvis Jones is a bit overrated and I have the same view of Barky Mingo of the Browns. Another player on the 2012 Georgia squad the Browns should have looked at is a safety named Williams and the University of Florida had two safeties who are going to be find footballers in the NFL. All will be better than Slaughter, in my opinion. The Browns really blew it re the secondary this off-season unless they have a plan we aren't privy to in this free agency period 2. I believe Horton's old decent safety, Kerry Rhodes, is still available, but there are reasons he is still on the market I'd rather avoid discussing.
Skeptical2013 said:
Well, certainly my opinion is that of an amateur vs. a paid NFL scoutand you make solid points about that. The Browns scouting should be far superior to my eye. But I am often right about what I see. I expect Baccari Rambo, Alex Ogletree and John Jenkins from the 2012 Georgia squad to be solid NFL players. I think Jarvis Jones is a bit overrated and I have the same view of Barky Mingo of the Browns. Another player on the 2012 Georgia squad the Browns should have looked at is a safety named Williams and the University of Florida had two safeties who are going to be find footballers in the NFL. All will be better than Slaughter, in my opinion. The Browns really blew it re the secondary this off-season unless they have a plan we aren't privy to in this free agency period 2. I believe Horton's old decent safety, Kerry Rhodes, is still available, but there are reasons he is still on the market I'd rather avoid discussing.
Well, you said you like Rambo because you saw him. Contrarily, can I assume you did not see Slaughter play? Thus, I will assume that you are not able to grade his capability.
Bottom line: Here is my attitude: Jamoris Slaughter is now a Cleveland Brown, Baccari Rambo is not....so screw him, I hope he does suck...or fuck up like his reputation.
Had we take Rambo, I would have the opposite attitude.
-
I don't think an extra 3rd and 4th is enough ammo to trade up for a potential franchise QB, in terms of ammo it's like I'm handing you a knife and sling shot and telling you to go kill that bear.
A little worried about this Mcfadden,word on him is he doesn't like to hit and he's just under 5'9 with a 34 inch vertical? This guy better cover like Deion.
I don't think an extra 3rd and 4th is enough ammo to trade up for a potential franchise QB, in terms of ammo it's like I'm handing you a knife and sling shot and telling you to go kill that bear.
A little worried about this Mcfadden,word on him is he doesn't like to hit and he's just under 5'9 with a 34 inch vertical? This guy better cover like Deion.
I would bet you that there are a hundred "words on" McFadden all at variance with each other. Every asshole has an opinion, and ever opinion has an asshole.

-
I don't think an extra 3rd and 4th is enough ammo to trade up for a potential franchise QB, in terms of ammo it's like I'm handing you a knife and sling shot and telling you to go kill that bear.
A little worried about this Mcfadden,word on him is he doesn't like to hit and he's just under 5'9 with a 34 inch vertical? This guy better cover like Deion.
word on him is he doesn't like to hit
Where, exactly, is this "word" coming from? Please link your source. NFL.com and the football post state precisely the opposite on McFadden.
Skeptical2013 said:
Re Slaughter's junior year better than Rambo's, no offense, but the caliber of competition Rambo played against is superior to what Slaughter played against. We saw that play out in the national title game last season.
No, we didn't. Slaughter in 2011 outperformed Rambo in 2011 and was a higher prospect than Rambo for the 2013 draft. Games in 2012 have zero bearing on that. And Slaughter 2012 pre-injury was better than Slaughter 2011.
-
I disagree completely with the negativity about Slaughter and McFadden.
McFadden only lacks things he can't change.. his height and top-end speed. He'll never run a 4.2, but he did run a 4.50 -- faster than both of the Seahawks corners. His projection is that of a solid starter in the NFL - which is why his NFL.com draft comparison is Brent Grimes. As the Browns quoted about him, "He just makes plays."
Slaughter's junior year was better than Rambo's junior year.. pre-injury, he was slated to be at the top of the FS board after Reid/Vaccaro. Although the injury does suck, I'm glad to see the Browns taking a shot at getting an outstanding player.
The other picks were all expected to be drafted higher. IMHO this draft is a win.
*For the first time I can remember, all of our WR will be proven young players.
*We have the flexibility next year to get one of the top4 QB's who are all franchise-level, unlike this draft where Weeden is easily better than everyone out there.
*All of our picks are slated to be solid starters, perhaps not year 1 but they have the skills to get there.
*IF Mingo can add 10 pounds of muscle and maintain his speed, he'll be special
The only weakness of this draft was not drafting good OL sooner than the 7th round. The one thing all super bowl champions have is tremendous strength at both OL and DL.. and we're there on DL, but not yet on OL.
Re Slaughter's junior year better than Rambo's, no offense, but the caliber of competition Rambo played against is superior to what Slaughter played against. We saw that play out in the national title game last season. I'd add that Rambo is fresh off playing most of a 2012 season, including a bowl game in January, while Slaughter hasn't played since last September and is coming off a fairly severe injury. I would have taken Rambo or any of a half dozen or more other safeties that were available in rounds 4-7.
Skeptical2013 said:
Re Slaughter's junior year better than Rambo's, no offense, but the caliber of competition Rambo played against is superior to what Slaughter played against. We saw that play out in the national title game last season. I'd add that Rambo is fresh off playing most of a 2012 season, including a bowl game in January, while Slaughter hasn't played since last September and is coming off a fairly severe injury. I would have taken Rambo or any of a half dozen or more other safeties that were available in rounds 4-7.
Rambo also played on a Defense where 6 guys from his defense were picked before him, including the SS that played next to him. There was a reason he went in the 6th round. Once again the draft is over and lets just see how our guys end up playing.
-
word on him is he doesn't like to hit
Where, exactly, is this "word" coming from? Please link your source. NFL.com and the football post state precisely the opposite on McFadden.
Skeptical2013 said:
Re Slaughter's junior year better than Rambo's, no offense, but the caliber of competition Rambo played against is superior to what Slaughter played against. We saw that play out in the national title game last season.
No, we didn't. Slaughter in 2011 outperformed Rambo in 2011 and was a higher prospect than Rambo for the 2013 draft. Games in 2012 have zero bearing on that. And Slaughter 2012 pre-injury was better than Slaughter 2011.
Where, exactly, is this "word" coming from? Please link your source. NFL.com and the football post state precisely the opposite on McFadden.
No, we didn't. Slaughter in 2011 outperformed Rambo in 2011 and was a higher prospect than Rambo for the 2013 draft. Games in 2012 have zero bearing on that. And Slaughter 2012 pre-injury was better than Slaughter 2011.
Oh, so even though Rambo had 8 interceptions in 2011 and made first team all conference and fist team all-america playing in the SEC, not the Pop Warner League teams Salughter played against, Slaughter was much better than him. Thanks for the laugh!
Some excerpts from a Bleacher Report item about Rambo:
"The next season (2010), Rambo started all 13 games at free safety. He recorded 82 tackles (five for losses), three interceptions, three forced fumbles and three passes defensed. He was named third-team All-SEC.
In 2011, Rambo put together his finest collegiate season. Over 13 starts, Rambo totaled 52 tackles (two for losses), eight interceptions, eight passes defensed and one fumble recovery. He was named a first team all america and first team all-SEC."
-
Skeptical2013 said:
Re Slaughter's junior year better than Rambo's, no offense, but the caliber of competition Rambo played against is superior to what Slaughter played against. We saw that play out in the national title game last season. I'd add that Rambo is fresh off playing most of a 2012 season, including a bowl game in January, while Slaughter hasn't played since last September and is coming off a fairly severe injury. I would have taken Rambo or any of a half dozen or more other safeties that were available in rounds 4-7.
Rambo also played on a Defense where 6 guys from his defense were picked before him, including the SS that played next to him. There was a reason he went in the 6th round. Once again the draft is over and lets just see how our guys end up playing.
Rambo also played on a Defense where 6 guys from his defense were picked before him, including the SS that played next to him. There was a reason he went in the 6th round. Once again the draft is over and lets just see how our guys end up playing.
Meanwhile, I sat in the stands, a few dozen yards from the Georgia defense, and got a birds eye view of the speed and effectiveness of Rambo on the field and he was very competitive, athletically, with guys like Ogletree and Jones. This guy is a stud player. What held him back in the draft, in my judgment, is his reputation as being immature.
-
If Bleacher Report is your best defense.. you're going to have a long day.
Rambo:
"Rambo is a better football player than all-around athlete. While he has quick feet and a quick and compact backpedal, he is tight in hips, which limits his ability to flip hips to change directions fast. On film and at his pro day, Rambo struggled when he had to turn and run out of pedal and could not transition out of pedal quick enough to close fast on passes in front of him out of a pedal. Although he has shown the ability to be a strong open field tackler, too often his tackling technique is an issue. He has a bad habit of either stopping feet and lunging/diving to try and make low tackle or staying upright and becomes a catch tackler - These both lead to him missing too many tackles."
Slaughter:
"Slaughter is a very good athlete with the speed needed to run with TEs and slot receivers in man coverage. He stays low in his pedal and is fluid transitioning on his flip, allowing him to consistently maintain proper positioning when in man coverage. When playing zone coverage in the box he is physical with receivers through his area and does a good job of reading the QB and maintaining discipline with his assignment. Despite having just average size, he is a very effective player against the run when lined up in the box. He is aggressive and physical with blockers, allowing him to consistently shed in time to get involved in run support. He takes good angles of pursuit to the boundary and displays the ability to consistently break down in space and finish. He is a smooth, fluid athlete that stays disciplined in his assignments and his techniques, allowing him to be extremely effective in all types of coverage. He possesses the speed to cover most slot receivers in man to man, and the physicality to take on flex TEs. Slaughter is also impressive against the run, as he is aggressive with blockers and consistently breaks down to finish tackles in space."
Between the 2 players, I think the Browns FO made the right decision. But 6th round players are rarely on the roster for even one season, let alone more than that.. so none of this may matter. I think the current FO did a great job identifying under-the-radar players with quality-starter-level skillsets.
-
word on him is he doesn't like to hit
Where, exactly, is this "word" coming from? Please link your source. NFL.com and the football post state precisely the opposite on McFadden.
Skeptical2013 said:
Re Slaughter's junior year better than Rambo's, no offense, but the caliber of competition Rambo played against is superior to what Slaughter played against. We saw that play out in the national title game last season.
No, we didn't. Slaughter in 2011 outperformed Rambo in 2011 and was a higher prospect than Rambo for the 2013 draft. Games in 2012 have zero bearing on that. And Slaughter 2012 pre-injury was better than Slaughter 2011.
Where, exactly, is this "word" coming from? Please link your source. NFL.com and the football post state precisely the opposite on McFadden.
from NFL.com
WeaknessesStruggles to always get a good jam at the line of scrimmage, which gives him some issues in recovery. His size gives him some issues against bigger, more physical wide receivers. A bit gun shy in handling blocks from lineman in the screen game. Doesn't wrap up, often times attempts the cut tacke, which wont always be effective against stronger, more elusive NFL ballcarriers.
Doesn't sound like a very physical guy, he's small and not very fast for his size, plus he's got a below average vertical. He'll have to grow up fast in the NFL if he's our projected starter.
I just hope they don't throw him to the wolves and his confidence gets shot before he has time to develop.
Banner says something like" well we don't want to invest in new talent because we want another year to judge the young talent we have now" so how does the same not apply to buster skrine?
Former NFL cb Corey Chavous was on the radio today and said he likes Mcfadden as a nickel, I guess he didn't get the flyer that he might be starting.
-
Heard today that Slaughter not only has this achiles but also had previous work on an ankle and both knees ? Tried looking it up but couldn't find anything.
Can't believe we're talking about a 6th rounder like it's the golden goose.
-
The Cards are already in the news for wanting to give Tyrann no guaranteed money on his rookie contract. For his defense, they know what they were getting when they drafted him.
Florio loves to cause shit.
-
If Bleacher Report is your best defense.. you're going to have a long day.
Rambo:
"Rambo is a better football player than all-around athlete. While he has quick feet and a quick and compact backpedal, he is tight in hips, which limits his ability to flip hips to change directions fast. On film and at his pro day, Rambo struggled when he had to turn and run out of pedal and could not transition out of pedal quick enough to close fast on passes in front of him out of a pedal. Although he has shown the ability to be a strong open field tackler, too often his tackling technique is an issue. He has a bad habit of either stopping feet and lunging/diving to try and make low tackle or staying upright and becomes a catch tackler - These both lead to him missing too many tackles."
Slaughter:
"Slaughter is a very good athlete with the speed needed to run with TEs and slot receivers in man coverage. He stays low in his pedal and is fluid transitioning on his flip, allowing him to consistently maintain proper positioning when in man coverage. When playing zone coverage in the box he is physical with receivers through his area and does a good job of reading the QB and maintaining discipline with his assignment. Despite having just average size, he is a very effective player against the run when lined up in the box. He is aggressive and physical with blockers, allowing him to consistently shed in time to get involved in run support. He takes good angles of pursuit to the boundary and displays the ability to consistently break down in space and finish. He is a smooth, fluid athlete that stays disciplined in his assignments and his techniques, allowing him to be extremely effective in all types of coverage. He possesses the speed to cover most slot receivers in man to man, and the physicality to take on flex TEs. Slaughter is also impressive against the run, as he is aggressive with blockers and consistently breaks down to finish tackles in space."
Between the 2 players, I think the Browns FO made the right decision. But 6th round players are rarely on the roster for even one season, let alone more than that.. so none of this may matter. I think the current FO did a great job identifying under-the-radar players with quality-starter-level skillsets.
If Bleacher Report is your best defense.. you're going to have a long day.
Rambo:
"Rambo is a better football player than all-around athlete. While he has quick feet and a quick and compact backpedal, he is tight in hips, which limits his ability to flip hips to change directions fast. On film and at his pro day, Rambo struggled when he had to turn and run out of pedal and could not transition out of pedal quick enough to close fast on passes in front of him out of a pedal. Although he has shown the ability to be a strong open field tackler, too often his tackling technique is an issue. He has a bad habit of either stopping feet and lunging/diving to try and make low tackle or staying upright and becomes a catch tackler - These both lead to him missing too many tackles."
Slaughter:
"Slaughter is a very good athlete with the speed needed to run with TEs and slot receivers in man coverage. He stays low in his pedal and is fluid transitioning on his flip, allowing him to consistently maintain proper positioning when in man coverage. When playing zone coverage in the box he is physical with receivers through his area and does a good job of reading the QB and maintaining discipline with his assignment. Despite having just average size, he is a very effective player against the run when lined up in the box. He is aggressive and physical with blockers, allowing him to consistently shed in time to get involved in run support. He takes good angles of pursuit to the boundary and displays the ability to consistently break down in space and finish. He is a smooth, fluid athlete that stays disciplined in his assignments and his techniques, allowing him to be extremely effective in all types of coverage. He possesses the speed to cover most slot receivers in man to man, and the physicality to take on flex TEs. Slaughter is also impressive against the run, as he is aggressive with blockers and consistently breaks down to finish tackles in space."
Between the 2 players, I think the Browns FO made the right decision. But 6th round players are rarely on the roster for even one season, let alone more than that.. so none of this may matter. I think the current FO did a great job identifying under-the-radar players with quality-starter-level skillsets.
Meanwhile, here's the Associated Press first-team all america safeties from 2011. I don't see Mr. Slaughter on that list! Note that Rambo is so bad he made THREE all america teams as noted in the parens.
Safety
- Mark Barron, Alabama -- UNANIMOUS -- (AFCA, AP, FWAA, TSN, WCFF, CBS, ESPN, PFW, Scout.com, SI, Yahoo!)
- Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State (AFCA, SI)
- T. J. McDonald, Southern California (TSN, PFW)
- Bacarri Rambo, Georgia (AP, Scout.com, Yahoo!)
-
The Cards are already in the news for wanting to give Tyrann no guaranteed money on his rookie contract. For his defense, they know what they were getting when they drafted him.
Florio loves to cause shit.
The Cards are already in the news for wanting to give Tyrann no guaranteed money on his rookie contract. For his defense, they know what they were getting when they drafted him.
Florio loves to cause shit.
Tyrann is going to be a huge distraction for Arizona. Don't surprised if he gets cut coming out of training camp. Maybe they'll have Tim Tebow mentor him -- Tebow has lots of time on his hands now.
-
Heard today that Slaughter not only has this achiles but also had previous work on an ankle and both knees ? Tried looking it up but couldn't find anything.
Can't believe we're talking about a 6th rounder like it's the golden goose.
Heard today that Slaughter not only has this achiles but also had previous work on an ankle and both knees ? Tried looking it up but couldn't find anything.
Can't believe we're talking about a 6th rounder like it's the golden goose.
Probably another Browns GM in love withNotre Dame. But this isn't as bad as Savage and the Brady Quinn fiasco.
-
If Bleacher Report is your best defense.. you're going to have a long day.
Rambo:
"Rambo is a better football player than all-around athlete. While he has quick feet and a quick and compact backpedal, he is tight in hips, which limits his ability to flip hips to change directions fast. On film and at his pro day, Rambo struggled when he had to turn and run out of pedal and could not transition out of pedal quick enough to close fast on passes in front of him out of a pedal. Although he has shown the ability to be a strong open field tackler, too often his tackling technique is an issue. He has a bad habit of either stopping feet and lunging/diving to try and make low tackle or staying upright and becomes a catch tackler - These both lead to him missing too many tackles."
Slaughter:
"Slaughter is a very good athlete with the speed needed to run with TEs and slot receivers in man coverage. He stays low in his pedal and is fluid transitioning on his flip, allowing him to consistently maintain proper positioning when in man coverage. When playing zone coverage in the box he is physical with receivers through his area and does a good job of reading the QB and maintaining discipline with his assignment. Despite having just average size, he is a very effective player against the run when lined up in the box. He is aggressive and physical with blockers, allowing him to consistently shed in time to get involved in run support. He takes good angles of pursuit to the boundary and displays the ability to consistently break down in space and finish. He is a smooth, fluid athlete that stays disciplined in his assignments and his techniques, allowing him to be extremely effective in all types of coverage. He possesses the speed to cover most slot receivers in man to man, and the physicality to take on flex TEs. Slaughter is also impressive against the run, as he is aggressive with blockers and consistently breaks down to finish tackles in space."
Between the 2 players, I think the Browns FO made the right decision. But 6th round players are rarely on the roster for even one season, let alone more than that.. so none of this may matter. I think the current FO did a great job identifying under-the-radar players with quality-starter-level skillsets.
Meanwhile, here's the Associated Press first-team all america safeties from 2011. I don't see Mr. Slaughter on that list! Note that Rambo is so bad he made THREE all america teams as noted in the parens.
Safety
- Mark Barron, Alabama -- UNANIMOUS -- (AFCA, AP, FWAA, TSN, WCFF, CBS, ESPN, PFW, Scout.com, SI, Yahoo!)
- Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State (AFCA, SI)
- T. J. McDonald, Southern California (TSN, PFW)
- Bacarri Rambo, Georgia (AP, Scout.com, Yahoo!)
Skeptical2013 said:
Meanwhile, here's the Associated Press first-team all america safeties from 2011. I don't see Mr. Slaughter on that list! Note that Rambo is so bad he made THREE all america teams as noted in the parens.
Safety
- Mark Barron, Alabama -- UNANIMOUS -- (AFCA, AP, FWAA, TSN, WCFF, CBS, ESPN, PFW, Scout.com, SI, Yahoo!)
- Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State (AFCA, SI)
- T. J. McDonald, Southern California (TSN, PFW)
- Bacarri Rambo, Georgia (AP, Scout.com, Yahoo!)
Bottom line: if he was good, then why did 10,000 other picks go by before he was taken? I was tracking the situation because I though he may have been a viable choice for the Browns, but when they made their trades that screwed that up....but Rambo never came off the board...so I figured all the teams must have had some issues with him.
Again, I would not have minded if the Browns took him....but they were not as impressed by him as you were...and neither were those other teams apparently..
-
Skeptical2013 said:
Meanwhile, here's the Associated Press first-team all america safeties from 2011. I don't see Mr. Slaughter on that list! Note that Rambo is so bad he made THREE all america teams as noted in the parens.
Safety
- Mark Barron, Alabama -- UNANIMOUS -- (AFCA, AP, FWAA, TSN, WCFF, CBS, ESPN, PFW, Scout.com, SI, Yahoo!)
- Markelle Martin, Oklahoma State (AFCA, SI)
- T. J. McDonald, Southern California (TSN, PFW)
- Bacarri Rambo, Georgia (AP, Scout.com, Yahoo!)
Bottom line: if he was good, then why did 10,000 other picks go by before he was taken? I was tracking the situation because I though he may have been a viable choice for the Browns, but when they made their trades that screwed that up....but Rambo never came off the board...so I figured all the teams must have had some issues with him.
Again, I would not have minded if the Browns took him....but they were not as impressed by him as you were...and neither were those other teams apparently..
Bottom line: if he was good, then why did 10,000 other picks go by before he was taken? I was tracking the situation because I though he may have been a viable choice for the Browns, but when they made their trades that screwed that up....but Rambo never came off the board...so I figured all the teams must have had some issues with him.
Again, I would not have minded if the Browns took him....but they were not as impressed by him as you were...and neither were those other teams apparently..
He was a high risk pick based on off-the-field concerns. His talent level is undeniable but teams were afraid he'd resort to his old ways once he got some money in his pocket. Same thing that happened to Mathieu, same thing that happened to Burfict.
At some point, we're going to have to take another risk. We can't keep drafting safe picks that are considered less talented but have good character. We have to have an insanely talented risk pick somewhere.
Character doesn't win football games.
-
We all thought Rambo was 2-3 round talent. He must had terrible interviews or something. For his talent not to be taken until mid 6th round is kinda unreal. As for Burfict, and La Garret Blount, they we just assholes in college, and teams stayed away from drafting them, they did turn out to be pretty good players. I think them not getting drafted them took them off that ego pedestal and back down to earth. The guys to pop positive may never smoke again after they are brought back down to earth also. For Tyrann, I think failing so many tests and given a chance to redeem himself and then getting caught with weed at a party and then getting kicked off LSU, then missing a whole year really hurt his stock. The other thing on him was his size, 5'8" is pretty small for a DB, people say he would be a nickle back, I was going to compare him to Adam Jones, but he is even bigger than Tyrann. I wonder where he would have been drafted last year had he played the year and elected to declare. With all the DBs taken last year in the first 2 rounds, he may have still been a 3rd rounder. With they way last year went for us and the players we had I still think we would have not drafted him.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login