Skip to content

Draft Thoughts 2013

The Browns Board
396 64 21.7k
  • Senior bowl is on... I'm looking at Ansah, Trufant, Webb, and Manuel

    Edit:

    Ansah is tearing it up with a his long stride and a great bull rush... Sixth Pick? I wish Dion Jordan was playing to compare these to Hybrid players.

    Some players are making some money in this game.... A lot of the borderline 2/3 round corners probably moved up to a solid 2nd.

    I've been pulling for Michael Williams, the TE from Alabama... He looked like he improved a round to probably mid 3rd. If they can trade down a bit in the 3rd, he would be a great pick up. Maybe gaining a 5th or 6th in the process.

    It's going to be an exciting draft.

    @mdmusch said:

    Senior bowl is on... I'm looking at Ansah, Trufant, Webb, and Manuel

    Edit:

    Ansah is tearing it up with a his long stride and a great bull rush... Sixth Pick? I wish Dion Jordan was playing to compare these to Hybrid players.

    Some players are making some money in this game.... A lot of the borderline 2/3 round corners probably moved up to a solid 2nd.

    I've been pulling for Michael Williams, the TE from Alabama... He looked like he improved a round to probably mid 3rd. If they can trade down a bit in the 3rd, he would be a great pick up. Maybe gaining a 5th or 6th in the process.

    It's going to be an exciting draft.

    The QB looked pretty bad!!! Ansah and Short looked pretty nice out there

  • A site I typically enjoy reading during draft time is walterfootball.com. But, look at this early Mock Draft:

    1. KC - Geno Smith QB WVU

    2. Jax - Star Lotulelei NT Utah

    3. Oak - Damontre Moore DE A&M

    4. Phi - Luke Joeckel OT A&M

    5. Det - Bjoern Werner DE/OLB FlSt

    Now, let's stop for a second and think. Other than Moore being off the board, this is a perfect scenario for the Browns. We would be able to take Top 10 talent and any of 3 positions of need (Milliner CB, Jones LB, Vaccaro S). But, Walt has the Browns taking Barkevious Mingo from LSU? So I had to stop for a second and take a look at this guy (pretty good video on youtube

    ) ... and my conclusion is, if the Browns would take him at 6 in this scenario I will flip my lid. Now, I know Jarvis Jones has suddenly become a risk b/c of injury, and "he's not a good workout guy" and all this and that, but if you watch any film on these two back-to-back there is no comparison. Plus, I would take Vaccaro or Milliner before drafting Mingo, at this point, just my opinion. To me, Jones is still on the top of my Big Board for the Browns. Maybe we'll find out more after the combine.

    Go Browns!!!

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    U know who Dante Hall is, woo.

    yeah, your point?

    @erie-dawg said:

    yeah, your point?

    Travis is bigger. Hall played what 10 years with that frame.

  • A site I typically enjoy reading during draft time is walterfootball.com. But, look at this early Mock Draft:

    1. KC - Geno Smith QB WVU

    2. Jax - Star Lotulelei NT Utah

    3. Oak - Damontre Moore DE A&M

    4. Phi - Luke Joeckel OT A&M

    5. Det - Bjoern Werner DE/OLB FlSt

    Now, let's stop for a second and think. Other than Moore being off the board, this is a perfect scenario for the Browns. We would be able to take Top 10 talent and any of 3 positions of need (Milliner CB, Jones LB, Vaccaro S). But, Walt has the Browns taking Barkevious Mingo from LSU? So I had to stop for a second and take a look at this guy (pretty good video on youtube

    ) ... and my conclusion is, if the Browns would take him at 6 in this scenario I will flip my lid. Now, I know Jarvis Jones has suddenly become a risk b/c of injury, and "he's not a good workout guy" and all this and that, but if you watch any film on these two back-to-back there is no comparison. Plus, I would take Vaccaro or Milliner before drafting Mingo, at this point, just my opinion. To me, Jones is still on the top of my Big Board for the Browns. Maybe we'll find out more after the combine.

    Go Browns!!!

    @thenew23 said:

    A site I typically enjoy reading during draft time is walterfootball.com. But, look at this early Mock Draft:

    1. KC - Geno Smith QB WVU

    2. Jax - Star Lotulelei NT Utah

    3. Oak - Damontre Moore DE A&M

    4. Phi - Luke Joeckel OT A&M

    5. Det - Bjoern Werner DE/OLB FlSt

    Now, let's stop for a second and think. Other than Moore being off the board, this is a perfect scenario for the Browns. We would be able to take Top 10 talent and any of 3 positions of need (Milliner CB, Jones LB, Vaccaro S). But, Walt has the Browns taking Barkevious Mingo from LSU? So I had to stop for a second and take a look at this guy (pretty good video on youtube

    ) ... and my conclusion is, if the Browns would take him at 6 in this scenario I will flip my lid. Now, I know Jarvis Jones has suddenly become a risk b/c of injury, and "he's not a good workout guy" and all this and that, but if you watch any film on these two back-to-back there is no comparison. Plus, I would take Vaccaro or Milliner before drafting Mingo, at this point, just my opinion. To me, Jones is still on the top of my Big Board for the Browns. Maybe we'll find out more after the combine.

    Go Browns!!!

    Like I said on another thread, Jones SHOULD be the pick. Anybody COULD get hurt. Running the 3-4 we will have to have LB help. He is the best available

  • @thenew23 said:

    A site I typically enjoy reading during draft time is walterfootball.com. But, look at this early Mock Draft:

    1. KC - Geno Smith QB WVU

    2. Jax - Star Lotulelei NT Utah

    3. Oak - Damontre Moore DE A&M

    4. Phi - Luke Joeckel OT A&M

    5. Det - Bjoern Werner DE/OLB FlSt

    Now, let's stop for a second and think. Other than Moore being off the board, this is a perfect scenario for the Browns. We would be able to take Top 10 talent and any of 3 positions of need (Milliner CB, Jones LB, Vaccaro S). But, Walt has the Browns taking Barkevious Mingo from LSU? So I had to stop for a second and take a look at this guy (pretty good video on youtube

    ) ... and my conclusion is, if the Browns would take him at 6 in this scenario I will flip my lid. Now, I know Jarvis Jones has suddenly become a risk b/c of injury, and "he's not a good workout guy" and all this and that, but if you watch any film on these two back-to-back there is no comparison. Plus, I would take Vaccaro or Milliner before drafting Mingo, at this point, just my opinion. To me, Jones is still on the top of my Big Board for the Browns. Maybe we'll find out more after the combine.

    Go Browns!!!

    Like I said on another thread, Jones SHOULD be the pick. Anybody COULD get hurt. Running the 3-4 we will have to have LB help. He is the best available

    @comeonman said:

    Like I said on another thread, Jones SHOULD be the pick. Anybody COULD get hurt. Running the 3-4 we will have to have LB help. He is the best available

    Ive heard alot of people say he isnt better than Mingo and because of his sack total hes being hyped in the top 10 where he should be a 25-30 guy. They said he doesnt have elite athleticism and really only got to the QB speed rushing because the line in front of him was so good.

  • Well, I've watched them both play, and Jones looks like the guy. I don't know about the line making him look better, but something did.

  • @comeonman said:

    Like I said on another thread, Jones SHOULD be the pick. Anybody COULD get hurt. Running the 3-4 we will have to have LB help. He is the best available

    Ive heard alot of people say he isnt better than Mingo and because of his sack total hes being hyped in the top 10 where he should be a 25-30 guy. They said he doesnt have elite athleticism and really only got to the QB speed rushing because the line in front of him was so good.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Ive heard alot of people say he isnt better than Mingo and because of his sack total hes being hyped in the top 10 where he should be a 25-30 guy. They said he doesnt have elite athleticism and really only got to the QB speed rushing because the line in front of him was so good.

    Mingo played at DE almost 100% of the time. Jones played OLB nearly 50% of the time. We already have a 3-4 OLB pass-rush only type of guy in Sheard. We need a guy who can actually plan OLB and drop into coverage on TEs and RBs and rush the QB. Jones is the full package, Mingo is only a pass-rusher and will struggle at OLB in the NFL.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    yeah, your point?

    Travis is bigger. Hall played what 10 years with that frame.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    Travis is bigger. Hall played what 10 years with that frame.

    No.... he is actually taller and thinner.

    I went to 4 of the browns home games this year (excellent seats) and the guy is tiny. 3 of joe thomas's shits weighs about the same as him.

  • Yeah Benji is a skeleton. Hes 170 after a thanksgiving dinner.

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    Ive heard alot of people say he isnt better than Mingo and because of his sack total hes being hyped in the top 10 where he should be a 25-30 guy. They said he doesnt have elite athleticism and really only got to the QB speed rushing because the line in front of him was so good.

    Mingo played at DE almost 100% of the time. Jones played OLB nearly 50% of the time. We already have a 3-4 OLB pass-rush only type of guy in Sheard. We need a guy who can actually plan OLB and drop into coverage on TEs and RBs and rush the QB. Jones is the full package, Mingo is only a pass-rusher and will struggle at OLB in the NFL.

    @thenew23 said:

    Mingo played at DE almost 100% of the time. Jones played OLB nearly 50% of the time. We already have a 3-4 OLB pass-rush only type of guy in Sheard. We need a guy who can actually plan OLB and drop into coverage on TEs and RBs and rush the QB. Jones is the full package, Mingo is only a pass-rusher and will struggle at OLB in the NFL.

    I agree, just stating what ive heard. Didnt see alot of LSU games but i did watch a few Georgia games and Id love to have Jones.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    Travis is bigger. Hall played what 10 years with that frame.

    No.... he is actually taller and thinner.

    I went to 4 of the browns home games this year (excellent seats) and the guy is tiny. 3 of joe thomas's shits weighs about the same as him.

    @erie-dawg said:

    No.... he is actually taller and thinner.

    I went to 4 of the browns home games this year (excellent seats) and the guy is tiny. 3 of joe thomas's shits weighs about the same as him.

    10 pounds, lol

  • Although I'm extremely happy with the Josh Gordon pick, not having a second round pick could really hurt us. Here's a bio of what could be the steal of the second round.

    David Amerson, CB, NCSU

    6'3"- 194 lbs.

    Clocked in the 4.4 range and has a 37 inch vertical. Plays long, was nationally heralded as a top 5 safety in high school. Very devoted to the game, and impressed scouts with his drive and hunger for getting better. Best fit is a press-man scheme, but has played a great deal in a zone scheme at NCSU. Great at reading a QB's eyes and undercutting short routes. Tends to be overagressive, but also is good at recognizing and recovering from double moves. Concerns about his fluidity being that he's a larger corner, but moves well for his size. He lacks elite level speed and may get beat by some burners in the NFL. He has exceptional ball skills, and fantastic instincts. Plays the ball like a WR, which leads to many interceptions on jump balls. He understands defensive concepts well and is rarely out of position. He tends to go for the big hit as opposed to the safe wrap up.

    Honestly, this guy could play either safety or #2 corner for us and would seemingly be an immediate upgrade. Although, based on tape and from his scouting report, he has all the makings of a fantastic free safety. We need a ball-hawking FS to counteract the big hitting Ward who's somewhat of a liability in coverage.

    Unfortunately for us, we don't have much in surplus to trade away for a second round pick. Our best chip would be Colt McCoy, as he is clearly not in the plans for the new regime. If we could package a deal to a team in need for QB, we might be able to take a shot at Amerson.

    The Jags are in a QB dilemma. Gabbert clearly isn't the answer, and Henne is a question mark. Gus Bradley is going to completely revamp a defense that ranked 29th in defensive PPG and 30th in defensive YPG. Seeing as they face Arian Foster and Chris Johnson twice a year, I see them adding DT Star Lotulelei with the #2 pick. They'll either add a QB in the mid rounds or via FA. It's important to remember that the new OC in Jacksonville is Judd Fisch, who relies on ball-control and eliminating mistakes. He'll be looking for an accurate, safe QB to manage the game and make decisive throws. There's not too many of those QB's in the draft this year. This is where we come in.

    We could offer them Colt McCoy and our 2013 4th round pick (#135) for their 2013 2nd round pick (#33) and a conditional pick. This would take nearly $700,000 off of our cap, and add a second round pick that we desperately need.

  • It's the last day of January, and this is my current Draft Big Board:

    1. Jarvis Jones – OLB – UGA

    2. Dee Milliner – CB – ALA

    3. Damontre Moore – OLB – A&M

    4. TRADE DOWN

    Trade Down targets:

    1. Barkevious Mingo – OLB – LSU

    2. Bjoern Werner – OLB – FSU

    3. Alec Ogletree – ILB – UGA

    4. Kenny Vaccaro – S – UTX

    5. Kevin Minter – ILB - LSU

    6. Matt Elam – S – FLA

    7. Desmond Trufant – CB - WASH

    8. Johnathan Banks – CB – MSST

  • http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1509004-2013-nfl-mock-draft-players-who-will-make-immediate-impact-at-next-level

    So lets assume we add a #2 CB via FA, and this happens in the first 5 picks, what do we do?

  • http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1509004-2013-nfl-mock-draft-players-who-will-make-immediate-impact-at-next-level

    So lets assume we add a #2 CB via FA, and this happens in the first 5 picks, what do we do?

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1509004-2013-nfl-mock-draft-players-who-will-make-immediate-impact-at-next-level

    So lets assume we add a #2 CB via FA, and this happens in the first 5 picks, what do we do?

    First off, I don't know why we should assume that.....nevertheless, I would say if Moore, Millner and Jones are all gone many say we should go for Bjoern Werner...

    or trading down to pick up more picks could happen and get Mingo or Montgomery or one of those....or even Chance Warmack.

    Does anyone here think that Chudzinski would NOT be in favor of taking perhaps the best rated OG to come out in years?

  • XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1509004-2013-nfl-mock-draft-players-who-will-make-immediate-impact-at-next-level

    So lets assume we add a #2 CB via FA, and this happens in the first 5 picks, what do we do?

    First off, I don't know why we should assume that.....nevertheless, I would say if Moore, Millner and Jones are all gone many say we should go for Bjoern Werner...

    or trading down to pick up more picks could happen and get Mingo or Montgomery or one of those....or even Chance Warmack.

    Does anyone here think that Chudzinski would NOT be in favor of taking perhaps the best rated OG to come out in years?

    @the-gipper said:

    First off, I don't know why we should assume that.....nevertheless, I would say if Moore, Millner and Jones are all gone many say we should go for Bjoern Werner...

    or trading down to pick up more picks could happen and get Mingo or Montgomery or one of those....or even Chance Warmack.

    Does anyone here think that Chudzinski would NOT be in favor of taking perhaps the best rated OG to come out in years?

    I said assume for the sake of conversation. Although I really think we should and will target a CB in free agency since thats one of the deepest positions in FA. In that mock it went Smith, Werner, Jones, Joeckle, and Moore. I think the only two options at that point is a trade down or Warmack, I prefer trade down.

  • I would not be in favor of drafting Warmack #6 overall. Honestly, I would not be in favor of drafting an o-lineman in the first 3 rounds at this point. If we think we need to upgrade Lauvo and Pinkston THAT bad, then we can do it after the 3rd or in FA. Sure, our run blocking could improve, but our pass protection was great last year.

    We need to use #6 on a big buy that can run, or a little guy that can hit!!

  • Trade down and grab Warmack... hopefully gain a second or third rounder in the process. Warmack is a truly elite prospect, probably the only one in the entire draft, and the Browns could trade down and grab him. The Browns really need to be talking with teams that could use a tackle or a QB, since Eric Fisher and Glennon have shot up boards, and the Cards may grab one of them with the 7th.

  • Trade down and grab Warmack... hopefully gain a second or third rounder in the process. Warmack is a truly elite prospect, probably the only one in the entire draft, and the Browns could trade down and grab him. The Browns really need to be talking with teams that could use a tackle or a QB, since Eric Fisher and Glennon have shot up boards, and the Cards may grab one of them with the 7th.

    @mdmusch said:

    Trade down and grab Warmack... hopefully gain a second or third rounder in the process. Warmack is a truly elite prospect, probably the only one in the entire draft, and the Browns could trade down and grab him. The Browns really need to be talking with teams that could use a tackle or a QB, since Eric Fisher and Glennon have shot up boards, and the Cards may grab one of them with the 7th.

    I agree on the tackles, I think the QB's took a hit at the senior bowl. Wilson, Smith and Barkley are probably the only ones that MAY go first round. I think alot of these QB needy teams will wait for the second if theyre targeting Glennon or Bray. I dont think any are first round worthy.

  • QBs always fly up boards when they have physical tools, like Glennon. Gabbert should have been a 2nd Rounder at most and he went 10th... I'll throw out some recent history....

    2012: Brandon Weeden, 22nd Overall, considered an early 2nd Rounder, (You can argue Tannehill, as well, going at the 8th selection was a reach)

    2011: Christian Ponder, 12th Overall, considered an early 2nd Rounder; Blaine Gabbert, 10th Overall, 2nd Rounder* (Big variation on Gabbert's projections, I saw Top 5 all the way to 3rd Rounder)

    2010: Tim Tebow, 25th Overall, considered a 2nd/3rd rounder