Skip to content

Reason For Uncertainty Involving Bw3

The Browns Board
27 12 1.4k
  • By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @the-gipper said:

    By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.

    without a doubt.

    Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?

    For some reason it wouldn't shock me.

    There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #6

    man if we draft another QB this year i'm gonna fuckin puke and realize that this regime is the same regime as the last and the last one, the one before that one, and the one before that.

    does anyone have any common sense?

    what's another year with weeden? i mean we've only sucked for the last 20 years.

    all i know is i'm getting sick of the term 'evaluation year'. it's funny how only QBs get that leeway.

  • @the-gipper said:

    By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.

    without a doubt.

    Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?

    For some reason it wouldn't shock me.

    There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @erie-dawg said:

    without a doubt.

    Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?

    For some reason it wouldn't shock me.

    There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.

    Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.

    I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    without a doubt.

    Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?

    For some reason it wouldn't shock me.

    There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.

    Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.

    I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.

    I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.

    Watched him a little in 2011, but not so much this year his numbers are impressive but looking at some of the teams they have played the last couple years may have inflated his numbers some. But your not really going out on a limb calling him possibly the most successful qb in the draft.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    without a doubt.

    Why is it I have this feeling that none of the top 5 teams in the draft take a QB? And I honestly could see us taking Geno Smith at 6?

    For some reason it wouldn't shock me.

    There are reports of matt moore being on the radar but I don't see too many available QB's that are nothing more than a sideways move.

    Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.

    I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.

    slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by slowburn
    #9

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.

    I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.

    Smith has some definite upsides beside the obvious. Like Wilson he has a very high IQ which can't hurt in his decision making in the pro league. He will

    have one of the top scores in the Wonderlic tests given at the combine. Wilson was smart to stay in college for four years and got coaching that really

    boosted his game. If you are looking at draft value...Wilson was a steal. Smith had good stablity in his development his last two years

    at WVU with a coach(s)getting him ready for a pro style, passing based offense. The kid has great potential.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.

    I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.

    Smith has some definite upsides beside the obvious. Like Wilson he has a very high IQ which can't hurt in his decision making in the pro league. He will

    have one of the top scores in the Wonderlic tests given at the combine. Wilson was smart to stay in college for four years and got coaching that really

    boosted his game. If you are looking at draft value...Wilson was a steal. Smith had good stablity in his development his last two years

    at WVU with a coach(s)getting him ready for a pro style, passing based offense. The kid has great potential.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @slowburn said:

    Smith has some definite upsides beside the obvious.

    until he gets hit. isn't he smaller in mass than RG3? and we all know what's gonna happen to him next year.

  • slowburnS slowburn wrote on last edited by
    #11

    durability always an issue. guess we will find out just how smart he is.

  • @slowburn said:

    Smith has some definite upsides beside the obvious.

    until he gets hit. isn't he smaller in mass than RG3? and we all know what's gonna happen to him next year.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @miktoxic said:

    until he gets hit. isn't he smaller in mass than RG3? and we all know what's gonna happen to him next year.

    smith 6'3 214lbs projected 4.78 40yd time

    Rg3 6'2 223lbs 4.41 40yd time

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I see Weeden getting a fair evaluation & chance from very qualified Coaches. I don't worry about EGO, whether it be Lombardi's or someone else's & here's why. Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before. The man didn't build his current wealth by catering to someone else's ego & I trust that IF he saw a scenario like that starting, he would nip it in the bud. He has worked hard so far to get this train on a track to success & I just don't see Jimmy tolerating ANY part of the train jumping the tracks.

    We'll see what happens, but I see him being involved in a very positive way.

    Mike

  • By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.

    D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @the-gipper said:

    By the way, I think it may have been Mel Kiper or McShay, or both who said that if BW3 were available in this year's draft, he would be the first QB taken, no doubt.

    Plus, he'd be eligible for SSI, so that would save some cap room.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Depending on what team gets him, Geno Smith can have a very solid NFL career.

    I think he can have Russell Wilson type success. He's an exceptional passer and makes good decisions, as evidenced by his TD: INT ratio. He is going to fly under the radar so to speak because his production slipped this season but I think when all is said and done, he'll be the most successful of any QB in this draft.

    Watched him a little in 2011, but not so much this year his numbers are impressive but looking at some of the teams they have played the last couple years may have inflated his numbers some. But your not really going out on a limb calling him possibly the most successful qb in the draft.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @erie-dawg said:

    Watched him a little in 2011, but not so much this year his numbers are impressive but looking at some of the teams they have played the last couple years may have inflated his numbers some. But your not really going out on a limb calling him possibly the most successful qb in the draft.

    I never claimed it to be a bold prediction.

    But I think Smith will do a lot better than most anticipate. The one thing he has that most of the QB's in this draft don't is the uncanny knack for extending plays.

    Zac Dyset also seems to possess a proficiency for extending plays, but his skill set isn't that of Smith's.

    Smith reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He's not the fastest QB or the most elusive but he's aware enough and just quick enough to elude defenders and make a play.

  • I see Weeden getting a fair evaluation & chance from very qualified Coaches. I don't worry about EGO, whether it be Lombardi's or someone else's & here's why. Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before. The man didn't build his current wealth by catering to someone else's ego & I trust that IF he saw a scenario like that starting, he would nip it in the bud. He has worked hard so far to get this train on a track to success & I just don't see Jimmy tolerating ANY part of the train jumping the tracks.

    We'll see what happens, but I see him being involved in a very positive way.

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @canton-mike said:

    I see Weeden getting a fair evaluation & chance from very qualified Coaches. I don't worry about EGO, whether it be Lombardi's or someone else's & here's why. Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before. The man didn't build his current wealth by catering to someone else's ego & I trust that IF he saw a scenario like that starting, he would nip it in the bud. He has worked hard so far to get this train on a track to success & I just don't see Jimmy tolerating ANY part of the train jumping the tracks.

    We'll see what happens, but I see him being involved in a very positive way.

    Mike

    I think...and hope that you are right, Mike. On the other hand I think JH is a guy who hires guys he thinks are professionals and allows them to do their job. If he believes in Lombardi and Lombardi wants to dump a QB that HE doesn't like, I suspect that JH will go along.

    But, like I said, too many people in this town who are in a position to know DO NOT trust Lombardi to do anything but what makes Lombardi look good.

    And I think many of them believe that Lombardi doing a mea culpa is NOT in his character makeup.

  • CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFSC CLEVELANDwantsPLAYOFFS wrote on last edited by
    #17

    We might have QUITE the QB controversy this offseason 😒

  • @erie-dawg said:

    Watched him a little in 2011, but not so much this year his numbers are impressive but looking at some of the teams they have played the last couple years may have inflated his numbers some. But your not really going out on a limb calling him possibly the most successful qb in the draft.

    I never claimed it to be a bold prediction.

    But I think Smith will do a lot better than most anticipate. The one thing he has that most of the QB's in this draft don't is the uncanny knack for extending plays.

    Zac Dyset also seems to possess a proficiency for extending plays, but his skill set isn't that of Smith's.

    Smith reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He's not the fastest QB or the most elusive but he's aware enough and just quick enough to elude defenders and make a play.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I never claimed it to be a bold prediction.

    But I think Smith will do a lot better than most anticipate. The one thing he has that most of the QB's in this draft don't is the uncanny knack for extending plays.

    Zac Dyset also seems to possess a proficiency for extending plays, but his skill set isn't that of Smith's.

    Smith reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He's not the fastest QB or the most elusive but he's aware enough and just quick enough to elude defenders and make a play.

    Geno Smith was hot, hot, hot when the last college season began....a shoe in for the Heisman....and the sure fire first overall pick. Then he petered out and basically disappeared.

    The guy does intrigue me because I saw him play lights out in those first few games....and he looked every bit as good as an RGIII.....but then he petered out.

    So? What happened to him?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I never claimed it to be a bold prediction.

    But I think Smith will do a lot better than most anticipate. The one thing he has that most of the QB's in this draft don't is the uncanny knack for extending plays.

    Zac Dyset also seems to possess a proficiency for extending plays, but his skill set isn't that of Smith's.

    Smith reminds me of Donovan McNabb. He's not the fastest QB or the most elusive but he's aware enough and just quick enough to elude defenders and make a play.

    Geno Smith was hot, hot, hot when the last college season began....a shoe in for the Heisman....and the sure fire first overall pick. Then he petered out and basically disappeared.

    The guy does intrigue me because I saw him play lights out in those first few games....and he looked every bit as good as an RGIII.....but then he petered out.

    So? What happened to him?

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by Tim Couch Pulls Out
    #19

    @the-gipper said:

    Geno Smith was hot, hot, hot when the last college season began....a shoe in for the Heisman....and the sure fire first overall pick. Then he petered out and basically disappeared.

    The guy does intrigue me because I saw him play lights out in those first few games....and he looked every bit as good as an RGIII.....but then he petered out.

    So? What happened to him?

    The problem was two-fold.

    First, Dana Holgorsen changed the offense. The Mountaineers rushed the ball nearly 50 more times in 2012 than they did in 2011. Their rushing attack was supposed to be more of a feature and less of a supplement to Smith.

    Unfortunately, West Virginia's defense was awful. They were allowing opponents to score nearly 40 points per game. With sticking to the rush and their defense being a sieve, Smith had to play from behind for a majority of last season, and forced too many passes trying to overcompensate.

    Honestly, with the way their defense played, it's amazing they won as many games as they did. If Maryland and Texas had viable starting QB's, they both would have beaten West Virginia.

    When your offense feels like it has to make up for the ineffectiveness of your defense, things are bound to go wrong.

    Geno Smith still threw for 42 TD's to 7 INT's with a 71.2 completion percentage...in a "bad" year with a bad team.

    17 TDs and 4 INT's and 1,387 yards against top 25 teams last season. I'd take him.

  • @canton-mike said:

    I see Weeden getting a fair evaluation & chance from very qualified Coaches. I don't worry about EGO, whether it be Lombardi's or someone else's & here's why. Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before. The man didn't build his current wealth by catering to someone else's ego & I trust that IF he saw a scenario like that starting, he would nip it in the bud. He has worked hard so far to get this train on a track to success & I just don't see Jimmy tolerating ANY part of the train jumping the tracks.

    We'll see what happens, but I see him being involved in a very positive way.

    Mike

    I think...and hope that you are right, Mike. On the other hand I think JH is a guy who hires guys he thinks are professionals and allows them to do their job. If he believes in Lombardi and Lombardi wants to dump a QB that HE doesn't like, I suspect that JH will go along.

    But, like I said, too many people in this town who are in a position to know DO NOT trust Lombardi to do anything but what makes Lombardi look good.

    And I think many of them believe that Lombardi doing a mea culpa is NOT in his character makeup.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    I think...and hope that you are right, Mike. On the other hand I think JH is a guy who hires guys he thinks are professionals and allows them to do their job. If he believes in Lombardi and Lombardi wants to dump a QB that HE doesn't like, I suspect that JH will go along.

    But, like I said, too many people in this town who are in a position to know DO NOT trust Lombardi to do anything but what makes Lombardi look good.

    And I think many of them believe that Lombardi doing a mea culpa is NOT in his character makeup.

    One thing for sure Gip. Haslam's no dummy, and knows there was plenty of bad karma letting Banner bring Lombardi back to Cleveland in the first place. He certainly listened to Lombardi's presser where Mike about told Tony Grossi to give him a chance. You can take it to the bank Grossi will blast Lombardi out of the water after his first screw up. So I'd say ML has about a one year trial period to show he's learned how to draft and run a personnel office. To my mind, it's going to depend on who has final say on the players- Chud or Mike.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I think...and hope that you are right, Mike. On the other hand I think JH is a guy who hires guys he thinks are professionals and allows them to do their job. If he believes in Lombardi and Lombardi wants to dump a QB that HE doesn't like, I suspect that JH will go along.

    But, like I said, too many people in this town who are in a position to know DO NOT trust Lombardi to do anything but what makes Lombardi look good.

    And I think many of them believe that Lombardi doing a mea culpa is NOT in his character makeup.

    One thing for sure Gip. Haslam's no dummy, and knows there was plenty of bad karma letting Banner bring Lombardi back to Cleveland in the first place. He certainly listened to Lombardi's presser where Mike about told Tony Grossi to give him a chance. You can take it to the bank Grossi will blast Lombardi out of the water after his first screw up. So I'd say ML has about a one year trial period to show he's learned how to draft and run a personnel office. To my mind, it's going to depend on who has final say on the players- Chud or Mike.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @hoorta said:

    One thing for sure Gip. Haslam's no dummy, and knows there was plenty of bad karma letting Banner bring Lombardi back to Cleveland in the first place. He certainly listened to Lombardi's presser where Mike about told Tony Grossi to give him a chance. You can take it to the bank Grossi will blast Lombardi out of the water after his first screw up. So I'd say ML has about a one year trial period to show he's learned how to draft and run a personnel office. To my mind, it's going to depend on who has final say on the players- Chud or Mike.

    From the fans stand point I don't think he has a year. He has until the upcoming FA period ends...and until the end of April...and particularly when the first part of Sept. rolls around and WE fans expect whatever he does to bear fruit right here, right now.

    There is no honeymoon. There is no grace period. There is only winning or getting the fuck out.

  • I see Weeden getting a fair evaluation & chance from very qualified Coaches. I don't worry about EGO, whether it be Lombardi's or someone else's & here's why. Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before. The man didn't build his current wealth by catering to someone else's ego & I trust that IF he saw a scenario like that starting, he would nip it in the bud. He has worked hard so far to get this train on a track to success & I just don't see Jimmy tolerating ANY part of the train jumping the tracks.

    We'll see what happens, but I see him being involved in a very positive way.

    Mike

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @canton-mike said:

    Haslam is no "half-assed" Owner such as we've seen before

    i hope the hire of banner doesn't come back to bite him in the ass. his hire (banner's) of lombardi was god awful IMO. i would have kept hecket. i don't see all this reasoning around cleaning house from top to bottom. if a guy has done a good, keep him on the staff. banner let his ego get in the way there, because of whatever tiff there was between he and heckert.

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    This is a pretty big exaggeration/overreaction on the part of Browns' fans, and particularly Cleveland media. Lombardi is not the GM, and has never been told he was given final say on ANYTHING, let alone our first round draft pick. Let's look at the guys who will be involved in making player decisions this offseason:

    Jimmy Haslam, Owner

    Joe Banner, CEO

    Lombardi

    Rob Chudzinski, HC

    Norv Turner, OC

    Ray Horton, DC

    Scott Tabor, STC

    Jon Sandusky, Director of player personnel (has been doing it for years and was a Banner guy before coming over with Heckert)

    John Spytek, Director of college scouting (was brought up as a scout with Banner, and was brought over by Heckert and has done an incredible job)

    That is a pretty crowded room with a lot of veteran "football guys." I just don't see where Lombardi's "ego" can step in and convince all of these guys to make a foolish decision. That's just my opinion at least.

  • This is a pretty big exaggeration/overreaction on the part of Browns' fans, and particularly Cleveland media. Lombardi is not the GM, and has never been told he was given final say on ANYTHING, let alone our first round draft pick. Let's look at the guys who will be involved in making player decisions this offseason:

    Jimmy Haslam, Owner

    Joe Banner, CEO

    Lombardi

    Rob Chudzinski, HC

    Norv Turner, OC

    Ray Horton, DC

    Scott Tabor, STC

    Jon Sandusky, Director of player personnel (has been doing it for years and was a Banner guy before coming over with Heckert)

    John Spytek, Director of college scouting (was brought up as a scout with Banner, and was brought over by Heckert and has done an incredible job)

    That is a pretty crowded room with a lot of veteran "football guys." I just don't see where Lombardi's "ego" can step in and convince all of these guys to make a foolish decision. That's just my opinion at least.

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @thenew23 said:

    This is a pretty big exaggeration/overreaction on the part of Browns' fans, and particularly Cleveland media. Lombardi is not the GM, and has never been told he was given final say on ANYTHING, let alone our first round draft pick. Let's look at the guys who will be involved in making player decisions this offseason:

    Jimmy Haslam, Owner

    Joe Banner, CEO

    Lombardi

    Rob Chudzinski, HC

    Norv Turner, OC

    Ray Horton, DC

    Scott Tabor, STC

    Jon Sandusky, Director of player personnel (has been doing it for years and was a Banner guy before coming over with Heckert)

    John Spytek, Director of college scouting (was brought up as a scout with Banner, and was brought over by Heckert and has done an incredible job)

    That is a pretty crowded room with a lot of veteran "football guys." I just don't see where Lombardi's "ego" can step in and convince all of these guys to make a foolish decision. That's just my opinion at least.

    Pretty much my point earlier. This is a totally different "scheme" in Cleveland & I also believe no ONE guy will be able to gum up the works. I'm excited to see what happens.

    Mike