Honey Badger Agent Demands Guaranteed Money Or No Contract Signing
-
This thread isn't describing the Cardinals decision accurately. They're not taking ANY money away from him - at all. The contract is precisely correct for his slot.
Instead of the guaranteed money, however, they divided it by 16 and are putting it as weekly roster bonuses -- with the intent that he has to be on the roster and a member of the team in good standing from week to week.
I honestly don't see what the problem with this is.
This thread isn't describing the Cardinals decision accurately. They're not taking ANY money away from him - at all. The contract is precisely correct for his slot.
Instead of the guaranteed money, however, they divided it by 16 and are putting it as weekly roster bonuses -- with the intent that he has to be on the roster and a member of the team in good standing from week to week.
I honestly don't see what the problem with this is.
I have got no problem with it either. I havent heard this much banter about a third round pick since we kicked Colt to the curb. At least he was a Brown.
Zombo
-
"According to Caplan, the contract is worth just over $5.3 million and includes $3.8 million in guarantees, which is consistent with Gordon's draft slot. The Browns selected Gordon with the second pick in the second round of Thursday's supplemental draft, making the value of his rookie contract equivalent to the 34th overall pick of this year's regular draft."
Yeah, Gordon, also thrown out of college for failing drug tests, get's 3.8 MILLION IN guarantees and you guys expect Tyrann Mathieu to take a deal that guarantees 0 money guaranteed? That heinous. The kid had a tough life, grew up without a father and worked extremely hard to get to where he is today. He made it to the NFL at 5'8" and 190 lbs soaking wet. He was a baller and an icon at a major college university. He made mistakes, he paid his dues.
And to take it even farther... so what if the kid smoked. Obama smoked. Clinton smoked. Jimmy Hendrix smoked. Bob Marley smoked. Michael Phelps smoked and won gold medals. Miley Cryus smokes the fucking herb. It's really annoying to even be having this discussion at this day and age. There's nothing wrong with smoking weed other than the federal government says it's taboo, yet it's one of the safest and most widely used drugs across the country and probably across the world. Why it's still a banned substance is anyones guess but from what I know about it, it's a widely outdated and archaic viewpoint.
I'm not going to chastise the kid for doing the same thing that other college kids do every fucking day, even college kids that are going to school to be teachers and doctors partake in the recreational use of marijuana.
"According to Caplan, the contract is worth just over $5.3 million and includes $3.8 million in guarantees, which is consistent with Gordon's draft slot. The Browns selected Gordon with the second pick in the second round of Thursday's supplemental draft, making the value of his rookie contract equivalent to the 34th overall pick of this year's regular draft."
Yeah, Gordon, also thrown out of college for failing drug tests, get's 3.8 MILLION IN guarantees and you guys expect Tyrann Mathieu to take a deal that guarantees 0 money guaranteed? That heinous. The kid had a tough life, grew up without a father and worked extremely hard to get to where he is today. He made it to the NFL at 5'8" and 190 lbs soaking wet. He was a baller and an icon at a major college university. He made mistakes, he paid his dues.
And to take it even farther... so what if the kid smoked. Obama smoked. Clinton smoked. Jimmy Hendrix smoked. Bob Marley smoked. Michael Phelps smoked and won gold medals. Miley Cryus smokes the fucking herb. It's really annoying to even be having this discussion at this day and age. There's nothing wrong with smoking weed other than the federal government says it's taboo, yet it's one of the safest and most widely used drugs across the country and probably across the world. Why it's still a banned substance is anyones guess but from what I know about it, it's a widely outdated and archaic viewpoint.
I'm not going to chastise the kid for doing the same thing that other college kids do every fucking day, even college kids that are going to school to be teachers and doctors partake in the recreational use of marijuana.
Why do you care? He belongs to some other team now, so screw him.
-
This thread isn't describing the Cardinals decision accurately. They're not taking ANY money away from him - at all. The contract is precisely correct for his slot.
Instead of the guaranteed money, however, they divided it by 16 and are putting it as weekly roster bonuses -- with the intent that he has to be on the roster and a member of the team in good standing from week to week.
I honestly don't see what the problem with this is.
This thread isn't describing the Cardinals decision accurately. They're not taking ANY money away from him - at all. The contract is precisely correct for his slot.
Instead of the guaranteed money, however, they divided it by 16 and are putting it as weekly roster bonuses -- with the intent that he has to be on the roster and a member of the team in good standing from week to week.
I honestly don't see what the problem with this is.
It is both a stick and a carrot. "If you keep clean....here is your money. If you don't keep clean....your money vanishes"
I know it is his agents job to get him cash up front.....it is how the agent gets paid. But for Mathieu personally.....if he says he intends to tow the straight and narrow it seems appropriate.
Keep your nose clean, get paid. Don't and you won't.
-
Sounds like it's around 50/50 on what everyone thinks should happen with Honey Badgers contract. I am on the side that says he should get guaranteed money. For Christ's sake, Owen Marecic got a $408,000 signing bonus. Now I know there were never the off the field issues, but Marecic has those on the field issues of just not being any good. Honey Badger was a stud in college, is a little small, but was productive on the big stage. He should get his money.
He gets minimum rookie wage scale for his slot, and not a dime more PG. He wants guaranteed money? So he can blow it on weed?
Really? You think that's why he wants guaranteed money? Not for a little job safety, or something to fall back on if something happens? I know in this day in age athletes arent very good at budgetting but that's beside the point.
Sounds like it's around 50/50 on what everyone thinks should happen with Honey Badgers contract. I am on the side that says he should get guaranteed money. For Christ's sake, Owen Marecic got a $408,000 signing bonus. Now I know there were never the off the field issues, but Marecic has those on the field issues of just not being any good. Honey Badger was a stud in college, is a little small, but was productive on the big stage. He should get his money.
Really? You think that's why he wants guaranteed money? Not for a little job safety, or something to fall back on if something happens? I know in this day in age athletes arent very good at budgetting but that's beside the point.
Eh- I've had time to sleep on what I think. Sort of changed my mind- if the Cards didn't want to pay the guy high third round money, they shouldn't have drafted him there. I do like the idea of saying you get your $600K bonus- in 16 $37k weekly installments.
I do have the feeling the guy is a street punk- and not very bright on top of it. So take that bonus- and give $30k to his agent, $240 to the Feds, and I'm betting the Badger has the rest blown before the end of training camp.
-
Sounds like it's around 50/50 on what everyone thinks should happen with Honey Badgers contract. I am on the side that says he should get guaranteed money. For Christ's sake, Owen Marecic got a $408,000 signing bonus. Now I know there were never the off the field issues, but Marecic has those on the field issues of just not being any good. Honey Badger was a stud in college, is a little small, but was productive on the big stage. He should get his money.
Really? You think that's why he wants guaranteed money? Not for a little job safety, or something to fall back on if something happens? I know in this day in age athletes arent very good at budgetting but that's beside the point.
Eh- I've had time to sleep on what I think. Sort of changed my mind- if the Cards didn't want to pay the guy high third round money, they shouldn't have drafted him there. I do like the idea of saying you get your $600K bonus- in 16 $37k weekly installments.
I do have the feeling the guy is a street punk- and not very bright on top of it. So take that bonus- and give $30k to his agent, $240 to the Feds, and I'm betting the Badger has the rest blown before the end of training camp.
Eh- I've had time to sleep on what I think. Sort of changed my mind- if the Cards didn't want to pay the guy high third round money, they shouldn't have drafted him there. I do like the idea of saying you get your $600K bonus- in 16 $37k weekly installments.
I do have the feeling the guy is a street punk- and not very bright on top of it. So take that bonus- and give $30k to his agent, $240 to the Feds, and I'm betting the Badger has the rest blown before the end of training camp.
I'm not a Tyronn fan, but the bottom line is the NFL is set up for guys to get guaranteed money when drafted. It seems really straight forward to us working Joes that being on the job (or roster) warrants being paid. If you don't show up why would get the same paycheck? It's more to protect the player against some crazy injury. They drafted him there, and they're going to have to give him the guaranteed money slotted for that spot. If I was them however, I'd put in that contract if one drug test/off the field issue comes up, his contract is instantly voided. That's the best protection they can have.
-
Who cares??
-
wow. i didn't know we had the likes of jesus, buddha and allah all on this brown's forum.
straight-laced, prim and proper throw your jacket over a puddle so as not to let the lady get wet when crosssing the street.
GTFO bullshitters.
what a bunch of fucking pussy hypocrites.
i'll guarantee you half of you 'so-called' do gooders are either hiding from the feds by having your little bible in your britches as you tip your hat to aunt em, while checking out the kids in the schoolyard, preaching a line of gospel to deflect your heathen ways. how about we show a picture of you up on a 55 inch flat screen, let everyone that ever knew you or your fucked up family talk shit about you and what a scumbag you are for having 'character' issues.
for all you fakes jesuses out there: what a bunch of phony fucks you are. hey i ain't knocking anyone for what you believe or don't believe in as far as religion is concerned, but to get up here and judge someone else WHO YOU'VE NEVER EVER MET IN YOUR LIFE well i hope your life is THAT good. that you help your grandkids sell lemonade on the weekends. that you are in your garden pulling weeds and your wife in her denim overalls comes out and wipes the beads of sweat from your ugly mug and kiss on the cheek (while you secretly wish you could plummet that garden hoe through her fucking skull, cut her up and use her for fertilizer).
the kid smoked some MARIFUCKINJUANA! STFU! i know i'd rather have his life at his age right now than what i had at that time. and if all you liars on the board would think clearly, you would too.
no one still wants to take my bet though, huh?
pussies.
-
This issue isn't that he smoked some weed it's about him failing something like 10 drug tests?
Either way he should still be paid accordingly.
-
-
DID anyone listen to him talk? He sounded like had a 7th grade education! Cant believe anyone feels hes owed anything! I can understand people make mistake but numerous failed drug test! I applaud the cards make him prove hes changed before throwing money at him. give him the league lowest pay allowed after all many people in life would be happy for that kind money! Hopefully he changes but id be shocked if he does!
-
Generally, that guaranteed money is based on trust that the player will definately not
screw the team over with irresponsibility. If nothing else, have the "guaranteed money" deferred,
and put in escrow, like someone else mentioned. The team isn't screwing up Mathieu - he did that to himself.
-
I don't think he is a scumbag, what I see here is a kid who regrets his mistakes and is doing a lot of soul searching and trying to fight his demons and find himself. I also see a hell of a teammate and potential leader of men if he can mature & overcome his trials.
Cal you talk like he killed someone, is he trying to con us or just conning himself? Idk, maybe.. but he deserves the benefit of the doubt.
-
All the Haters will regret that we didn't take him when we were in prime position to take him with minimal risk.
Shit, we've barely hit on any of the first rounders we've taken in the first fucking round the last 14 years. To fail to take a chance on a third rounder with Mathieu's potential, we've muffed the punt... badly.
-
All the Haters will regret that we didn't take him when we were in prime position to take him with minimal risk.
Shit, we've barely hit on any of the first rounders we've taken in the first fucking round the last 14 years. To fail to take a chance on a third rounder with Mathieu's potential, we've muffed the punt... badly.
All the Haters will regret that we didn't take him when we were in prime position to take him with minimal risk.
Shit, we've barely hit on any of the first rounders we've taken in the first fucking round the last 14 years. To fail to take a chance on a third rounder with Mathieu's potential, we've muffed the punt... badly.
Not a Tyrann hater, I watched him play when I was stationed in LA. That also was a highlight film, while everyone has one of those, there is never film made on a player with him missing tackles. In this video it shows him blitzing the shit out of qbs, will that translate to the NFL against much bigger lineman, that is to be seen. A lot of that film has him breaking up passes against Oregon, who lets be honest cant throw the ball. What the film did show though is that he is a special teams ACE, and that will come in handy a punt returner. However, you have Patrick Peterson doing that for them. The kid can for sure make tackles though. Im not betting against the guy and I do hope he overcomes his addictions, but at this point, I do not think we missed out on a cant miss guy.
-
Here is McFaddens high lights, shows him playing the db position and the dude can cover!
-
Mathieu didn't fail just 10 drug tests -- he failed many more. He stopped counting the number of drug tests he failed at 10.
I'm happy Mathieu is not a Brown.. and I'm looking forward to cheering for Leon McFadden at CB2.
-
All the Haters will regret that we didn't take him when we were in prime position to take him with minimal risk.
Shit, we've barely hit on any of the first rounders we've taken in the first fucking round the last 14 years. To fail to take a chance on a third rounder with Mathieu's potential, we've muffed the punt... badly.
All the Haters will regret that we didn't take him when we were in prime position to take him with minimal risk.
Shit, we've barely hit on any of the first rounders we've taken in the first fucking round the last 14 years. To fail to take a chance on a third rounder with Mathieu's potential, we've muffed the punt... badly.
No...only if he played for the Rats/Squibs/Pussies would we care. He was drafted by an NFC team. We would only play that team once every 4 years.
So, it is irrelevent to me.
I would be more worried about Sharmarko Thomas than this guy.
Get your freeking priorities in order.
-
By giving him his guaranteed money week to week, it makes his money not guaranteed. You get so much guaranteed money depending on where you were drafted, period. The team is only responsible for offering you a contract to the total amount that the draft slot is valued at, but if a team didn't want to give a player guaranteed money, as in sign on the dotted line and take your 500K, then they shouldn't have drafted him.
Weekly installments? Give me a break.
-
By giving him his guaranteed money week to week, it makes his money not guaranteed. You get so much guaranteed money depending on where you were drafted, period. The team is only responsible for offering you a contract to the total amount that the draft slot is valued at, but if a team didn't want to give a player guaranteed money, as in sign on the dotted line and take your 500K, then they shouldn't have drafted him.
Weekly installments? Give me a break.
By giving him his guaranteed money week to week, it makes his money not guaranteed. You get so much guaranteed money depending on where you were drafted, period. The team is only responsible for offering you a contract to the total amount that the draft slot is valued at, but if a team didn't want to give a player guaranteed money, as in sign on the dotted line and take your 500K, then they shouldn't have drafted him.
Weekly installments? Give me a break.
A team is under no obligation to make any particular offer to a player they have drafted. If they wanted to they could say: take the rookie minimum under the CBA with weekly paychecks, no bonus, no guarantee, nothing.
That isn't usually done because of some tradition.....but contractually they are not required to do more than I just said.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login