Skip to content

Updated Depth Chart

The Browns Board
23 8 751
  • Pinkston starts over Lauvao at LG - is the only error that link has. Although to be fair that's the situation at OTA's but Pinkston is still coming back, and he's got a much higher ceiling than Lauvao. We know who lauvao is.. and he's not a starter in the NFL. Regardless, we finally have good starting guards, Pinkston and Greco. Even the backups [cave, lauvao, gilkey and others] are not bad.

    Greco was pick 65 (2nd pick of 3rd round) of StL in 2008, and was the 5th best guard in the NFL in 2012. Pinkston (5th round/150th overall 2011) was fine in OTA's this month, and graded out as a top-25 guard before his blood clot in 2012.

    Is this the year the Browns have a dominant OL and DL? My magic 8-ball agrees.

  • Pinkston starts over Lauvao at LG - is the only error that link has. Although to be fair that's the situation at OTA's but Pinkston is still coming back, and he's got a much higher ceiling than Lauvao. We know who lauvao is.. and he's not a starter in the NFL. Regardless, we finally have good starting guards, Pinkston and Greco. Even the backups [cave, lauvao, gilkey and others] are not bad.

    Greco was pick 65 (2nd pick of 3rd round) of StL in 2008, and was the 5th best guard in the NFL in 2012. Pinkston (5th round/150th overall 2011) was fine in OTA's this month, and graded out as a top-25 guard before his blood clot in 2012.

    Is this the year the Browns have a dominant OL and DL? My magic 8-ball agrees.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Pinkston starts over Lauvao at LG - is the only error that link has. Although to be fair that's the situation at OTA's but Pinkston is still coming back, and he's got a much higher ceiling than Lauvao. We know who lauvao is.. and he's not a starter in the NFL. Regardless, we finally have good starting guards, Pinkston and Greco. Even the backups [cave, lauvao, gilkey and others] are not bad.

    Greco was pick 65 (2nd pick of 3rd round) of StL in 2008, and was the 5th best guard in the NFL in 2012. Pinkston (5th round/150th overall 2011) was fine in OTA's this month, and graded out as a top-25 guard before his blood clot in 2012.

    Is this the year the Browns have a dominant OL and DL? My magic 8-ball agrees.

    In the past I believe Pinkston started at LG and Lauvao at RG. Now they have Greco at RG. I think Pinkston is slated at backup because of his injury....but could certainly end up starting.

    Where are you getting these rankings about the X best guard in the NFL?

  • @the-gipper said:

    The area for the defensive secondary should be blank, because there is no depth there.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Pinkston starts over Lauvao at LG - is the only error that link has. Although to be fair that's the situation at OTA's but Pinkston is still coming back, and he's got a much higher ceiling than Lauvao. We know who lauvao is.. and he's not a starter in the NFL. Regardless, we finally have good starting guards, Pinkston and Greco. Even the backups [cave, lauvao, gilkey and others] are not bad.

    Greco was pick 65 (2nd pick of 3rd round) of StL in 2008, and was the 5th best guard in the NFL in 2012. Pinkston (5th round/150th overall 2011) was fine in OTA's this month, and graded out as a top-25 guard before his blood clot in 2012.

    Is this the year the Browns have a dominant OL and DL? My magic 8-ball agrees.

    In the past I believe Pinkston started at LG and Lauvao at RG. Now they have Greco at RG. I think Pinkston is slated at backup because of his injury....but could certainly end up starting.

    Where are you getting these rankings about the X best guard in the NFL?

    @the-gipper said:

    In the past I believe Pinkston started at LG and Lauvao at RG. Now they have Greco at RG. I think Pinkston is slated at backup because of his injury....but could certainly end up starting.

    Where are you getting these rankings about the X best guard in the NFL?

    My understanding is that with the first group of practices, El Greco was at LG and Lauvao ar RG with the first team offense. Pinkston will be a backup until he proves he's healthy and ready to go full bore.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The area for the defensive secondary should be blank, because there is no depth there.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    The area for the defensive secondary should be blank, because there is no depth there.

    The Browns entire backfield will be named to the Pro Bowl, McFadden and Gipson included. This backfield will intercept 50 passes...but only give up 10 TD passes all year long.

    And you will have to swallow that turd as per our bet.

    tttcomp_main.jpg

  • Skeptical2013 said:

    The area for the defensive secondary should be blank, because there is no depth there.

    The Browns entire backfield will be named to the Pro Bowl, McFadden and Gipson included. This backfield will intercept 50 passes...but only give up 10 TD passes all year long.

    And you will have to swallow that turd as per our bet.

    tttcomp_main.jpg

    @the-gipper said:

    The Browns entire backfield will be named to the Pro Bowl, McFadden and Gipson included. This backfield will intercept 50 passes...but only give up 10 TD passes all year long.

    And you will have to swallow that turd as per our bet.

    tttcomp_main.jpg

    It must be nice to live where you live. They call it La-La Land, right? It's clear you enjoy science fiction. Big fan of the SciFy channel?

  • @the-gipper said:

    The Browns entire backfield will be named to the Pro Bowl, McFadden and Gipson included. This backfield will intercept 50 passes...but only give up 10 TD passes all year long.

    And you will have to swallow that turd as per our bet.

    tttcomp_main.jpg

    It must be nice to live where you live. They call it La-La Land, right? It's clear you enjoy science fiction. Big fan of the SciFy channel?

    Skeptical2013 said:

    It must be nice to live where you live. They call it La-La Land, right? It's clear you enjoy science fiction. Big fan of the SciFy channel?

    Wherever I live we don't sit around polishing turds like they do in your city, which is what? Dumerassville?

  • I really thought JMJ was going to be slotted as an ILB in the 3-4. If not, that means no depth at ILB.

    And yes, they should switch Greco and Lauvao but Pinkston will probably earn back his spot at LG if he is healthy

  • I wouldn't worry about specific positions because Horton likes guys who can play more than one spot. Corners who can play safety and OLBs who can move inside. He doesn't spend much time in the base so he's almost certainly finding ways to get guys on the field (like Sheard, Kruger, and Mingo at the same time).

    Robertson is the starter because 3-4 teams are moving to smaller, faster ILBs in a passing league, where teams are far more likely to pass against your "base" than 10 years ago. The Steelers ILBs are "229 soaking wet," as DQJ recently said. Horton made a semi-star of Daryl Washington at 225. Both DQJ and Robertson have crazy 10-yard splits, very explosive guys, and Horton loves to rush up the middle.

    Horton likes speed which makes sense. He plays forward more than any Browns defense we've watched in forever. Guys like Robertson, Mingo, and Gipson make a ton of sense. I get why he'd like Skrine and his 4.35 speed, look for ways to get him on the field in various packages. I still think McFadden ends up the starter, though.

    And the great news: He did a lot with way less last year in Arizona. He was a mad scientist.

    On offense, the Browns seemed more quiet but I liked the restraint. They showed respect for serious upside talent at WR in Gordon and Little but also Benjamin by adding only slot possession receivers. Bess is the standout because he's a healthier, more productive version of Danny Amendola, who got more money. They clearly fished around at quarterback but didn't jump at anyone for the sake of it.

    Overall, the notion of looking at a lot of young, upside talent and sticking with it, instead of trying to replace it with a 3rd or 4th round pick? Or a second-level talent like Toler? I like it a lot. Guys like Robertson, Gipson, Bademosi, Greco, Cameron, etc., are steals, better players with higher ceilings than guys we could've drafted in four. It's smart to play that out. Basically bonus picks... and good teams always find these players.

  • Skeptical2013 said:

    It must be nice to live where you live. They call it La-La Land, right? It's clear you enjoy science fiction. Big fan of the SciFy channel?

    Wherever I live we don't sit around polishing turds like they do in your city, which is what? Dumerassville?

    @the-gipper said:

    Wherever I live we don't sit around polishing turds like they do in your city, which is what? Dumerassville?

    Although that's exactly what you're doing with Gipson.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Wherever I live we don't sit around polishing turds like they do in your city, which is what? Dumerassville?

    Although that's exactly what you're doing with Gipson.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Although that's exactly what you're doing with Gipson.

    You mean our FS that is Pro Bowl bound?

  • Skeptical2013 said:

    It must be nice to live where you live. They call it La-La Land, right? It's clear you enjoy science fiction. Big fan of the SciFy channel?

    Wherever I live we don't sit around polishing turds like they do in your city, which is what? Dumerassville?

    @the-gipper said:

    Wherever I live we don't sit around polishing turds like they do in your city, which is what? Dumerassville?

    In my town, when the local pro football upgrades its front 7 they finish the job on defense by making sure the secondary is good, too.

  • I wouldn't worry about specific positions because Horton likes guys who can play more than one spot. Corners who can play safety and OLBs who can move inside. He doesn't spend much time in the base so he's almost certainly finding ways to get guys on the field (like Sheard, Kruger, and Mingo at the same time).

    Robertson is the starter because 3-4 teams are moving to smaller, faster ILBs in a passing league, where teams are far more likely to pass against your "base" than 10 years ago. The Steelers ILBs are "229 soaking wet," as DQJ recently said. Horton made a semi-star of Daryl Washington at 225. Both DQJ and Robertson have crazy 10-yard splits, very explosive guys, and Horton loves to rush up the middle.

    Horton likes speed which makes sense. He plays forward more than any Browns defense we've watched in forever. Guys like Robertson, Mingo, and Gipson make a ton of sense. I get why he'd like Skrine and his 4.35 speed, look for ways to get him on the field in various packages. I still think McFadden ends up the starter, though.

    And the great news: He did a lot with way less last year in Arizona. He was a mad scientist.

    On offense, the Browns seemed more quiet but I liked the restraint. They showed respect for serious upside talent at WR in Gordon and Little but also Benjamin by adding only slot possession receivers. Bess is the standout because he's a healthier, more productive version of Danny Amendola, who got more money. They clearly fished around at quarterback but didn't jump at anyone for the sake of it.

    Overall, the notion of looking at a lot of young, upside talent and sticking with it, instead of trying to replace it with a 3rd or 4th round pick? Or a second-level talent like Toler? I like it a lot. Guys like Robertson, Gipson, Bademosi, Greco, Cameron, etc., are steals, better players with higher ceilings than guys we could've drafted in four. It's smart to play that out. Basically bonus picks... and good teams always find these players.

    @shep said:

    I wouldn't worry about specific positions because Horton likes guys who can play more than one spot. Corners who can play safety and OLBs who can move inside. He doesn't spend much time in the base so he's almost certainly finding ways to get guys on the field (like Sheard, Kruger, and Mingo at the same time).

    Robertson is the starter because 3-4 teams are moving to smaller, faster ILBs in a passing league, where teams are far more likely to pass against your "base" than 10 years ago. The Steelers ILBs are "229 soaking wet," as DQJ recently said. Horton made a semi-star of Daryl Washington at 225. Both DQJ and Robertson have crazy 10-yard splits, very explosive guys, and Horton loves to rush up the middle.

    Horton likes speed which makes sense. He plays forward more than any Browns defense we've watched in forever. Guys like Robertson, Mingo, and Gipson make a ton of sense. I get why he'd like Skrine and his 4.35 speed, look for ways to get him on the field in various packages. I still think McFadden ends up the starter, though.

    And the great news: He did a lot with way less last year in Arizona. He was a mad scientist.

    On offense, the Browns seemed more quiet but I liked the restraint. They showed respect for serious upside talent at WR in Gordon and Little but also Benjamin by adding only slot possession receivers. Bess is the standout because he's a healthier, more productive version of Danny Amendola, who got more money. They clearly fished around at quarterback but didn't jump at anyone for the sake of it.

    Overall, the notion of looking at a lot of young, upside talent and sticking with it, instead of trying to replace it with a 3rd or 4th round pick? Or a second-level talent like Toler? I like it a lot. Guys like Robertson, Gipson, Bademosi, Greco, Cameron, etc., are steals, better players with higher ceilings than guys we could've drafted in four. It's smart to play that out. Basically bonus picks... and good teams always find these players.

    Agree that one of the things to like about Horton is the way he moves players around. I do like that flexibility. Mingo will line up all over the place and he has the smarts to make the adjustments.

    Where we disagree is that you really like guys like Cameron and Bademosi and Robertson and I think they are very pedestrian talents.

  • Having Bess will give us 2 more wins alone. Dude is a 3rd down machine. Best sing/trade in years. The Dolphins are idiots.

  • Bess signing will be appreciated so much more about mid-season. Again, if he's a white slot receiver, preferably from Texas Tech, he's rich right now.

    In today's OTAs, it's Pinkston at LG and Greco at RG. Based on how good Greco was last year, #5 in the NFL at run blocking, I was thinking this might be the way they go. They brought in lots of depth so they could promote him. He deserves it.

    There just isn't much about this team I don't like right now, including how they intend to play on both sides of the ball. Most optimistic I've felt in years.

  • I like the right side running behind Greco and The Schwartz.

    I haven't been this excited about the offense since the day after we beat the Bungles 51-45,

    Zombo

  • I agree, Z. We were a top 5-7 line last year and Lauvao, while strong like bull, was the weak link. Could be one of the best couple lines in football. Quality and depth at RB, more quality targets than I can recall (Gordon, Little, Bess, Benji, Nelson, Cameron)... and a one year audition for Weeds with zero excuses.

    It always comes down to that: Do you have a top 10 or at least 15 passer? If it's 11-15, is he rising? No? Then let's talk after the next draft.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Wherever I live we don't sit around polishing turds like they do in your city, which is what? Dumerassville?

    In my town, when the local pro football upgrades its front 7 they finish the job on defense by making sure the secondary is good, too.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    In my town, when the local pro football upgrades its front 7 they finish the job on defense by making sure the secondary is good, too.

    What town is that?

  • @shep said:

    I wouldn't worry about specific positions because Horton likes guys who can play more than one spot. Corners who can play safety and OLBs who can move inside. He doesn't spend much time in the base so he's almost certainly finding ways to get guys on the field (like Sheard, Kruger, and Mingo at the same time).

    Robertson is the starter because 3-4 teams are moving to smaller, faster ILBs in a passing league, where teams are far more likely to pass against your "base" than 10 years ago. The Steelers ILBs are "229 soaking wet," as DQJ recently said. Horton made a semi-star of Daryl Washington at 225. Both DQJ and Robertson have crazy 10-yard splits, very explosive guys, and Horton loves to rush up the middle.

    Horton likes speed which makes sense. He plays forward more than any Browns defense we've watched in forever. Guys like Robertson, Mingo, and Gipson make a ton of sense. I get why he'd like Skrine and his 4.35 speed, look for ways to get him on the field in various packages. I still think McFadden ends up the starter, though.

    And the great news: He did a lot with way less last year in Arizona. He was a mad scientist.

    On offense, the Browns seemed more quiet but I liked the restraint. They showed respect for serious upside talent at WR in Gordon and Little but also Benjamin by adding only slot possession receivers. Bess is the standout because he's a healthier, more productive version of Danny Amendola, who got more money. They clearly fished around at quarterback but didn't jump at anyone for the sake of it.

    Overall, the notion of looking at a lot of young, upside talent and sticking with it, instead of trying to replace it with a 3rd or 4th round pick? Or a second-level talent like Toler? I like it a lot. Guys like Robertson, Gipson, Bademosi, Greco, Cameron, etc., are steals, better players with higher ceilings than guys we could've drafted in four. It's smart to play that out. Basically bonus picks... and good teams always find these players.

    Agree that one of the things to like about Horton is the way he moves players around. I do like that flexibility. Mingo will line up all over the place and he has the smarts to make the adjustments.

    Where we disagree is that you really like guys like Cameron and Bademosi and Robertson and I think they are very pedestrian talents.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    Agree that one of the things to like about Horton is the way he moves players around. I do like that flexibility. Mingo will line up all over the place and he has the smarts to make the adjustments.

    Where we disagree is that you really like guys like Cameron and Bademosi and Robertson and I think they are very pedestrian talents.

    I think they are functional, though Cameron could develop into an Antonio Gates type TE, if we are lucky.

    I have been operating on the assumption that Jame Michael Johnson was going to be an ILB...and possibly take that starting spot opposite DQJ.

    Would I be wrong about that? Like I said, I thought JMJ was billed as a ILB, not a OLB.