Minicamp Reports, 5-23
-
Skeptical2013 said:
So, a guy who Chud coached in Carolina and did nothing on the receiving end there is going to burst forth and be an outstanding receiver. Wow. Hope you're right!
As I said, injured the past 3 years. Hasn't been able to play much since his rookie season.
As I said, injured the past 3 years. Hasn't been able to play much since his rookie season.
Stats say Barnage appeared in 16 games last season catching 6 passes. Career- wise he has 18 catches in 5 years. This talk about him "breaking out" in OTAs is all nonsense in terms of how he'll play in real games. But Barnage seems to be a nice bocker and adds some depth. I'm OK with him. Not OK, though, with the overall weak situation at tight end. One can still hear the groans in Chciago as Davis dropped one pass after another from Cutler.
-
PFT has done a piece on each of the WRs, Gordon and Little. They seem off the charts psyched about the offense, about their training (some together) preparing them for all the running they'll do in a get-deep offense. A lot of excitement and confidence building, as the article on Little underscored. Toss in that Bess "runs great routes and catches everything," and a potentially top 5-ish OL, and quality and depth at tailback... and it all comes down to Weeds.
It's a cushy cockpit with the potential to be a really scary attacking offense. Lord knows he has the natural arm talent, which sort of leads into the problem: The new brass seems to think Weeden is kind of "The Natural," a good ol' boy who can (in his own words) really sling it... but maybe doesn't do his homework. Seems a little laid back at times. They want to see him act like a first rate NFL quarterback and leader, on and off the field.
It's the best group of talent we've had on offense since 2007, clearly. And on top of that, Weeden's going to play a lot more out of the shotgun and go downfield, utilize the big arm. He should be way more comfortable. Now it's about his mind and his eyes and hitting those deep balls, something he did REALLY poorly last year (22nd of 23 who went beyond 20 a certain amount of times).
-
PFT has done a piece on each of the WRs, Gordon and Little. They seem off the charts psyched about the offense, about their training (some together) preparing them for all the running they'll do in a get-deep offense. A lot of excitement and confidence building, as the article on Little underscored. Toss in that Bess "runs great routes and catches everything," and a potentially top 5-ish OL, and quality and depth at tailback... and it all comes down to Weeds.
It's a cushy cockpit with the potential to be a really scary attacking offense. Lord knows he has the natural arm talent, which sort of leads into the problem: The new brass seems to think Weeden is kind of "The Natural," a good ol' boy who can (in his own words) really sling it... but maybe doesn't do his homework. Seems a little laid back at times. They want to see him act like a first rate NFL quarterback and leader, on and off the field.
It's the best group of talent we've had on offense since 2007, clearly. And on top of that, Weeden's going to play a lot more out of the shotgun and go downfield, utilize the big arm. He should be way more comfortable. Now it's about his mind and his eyes and hitting those deep balls, something he did REALLY poorly last year (22nd of 23 who went beyond 20 a certain amount of times).
PFT has done a piece on each of the WRs, Gordon and Little. They seem off the charts psyched about the offense, about their training (some together) preparing them for all the running they'll do in a get-deep offense. A lot of excitement and confidence building, as the article on Little underscored. Toss in that Bess "runs great routes and catches everything," and a potentially top 5-ish OL, and quality and depth at tailback... and it all comes down to Weeds.
It's a cushy cockpit with the potential to be a really scary attacking offense. Lord knows he has the natural arm talent, which sort of leads into the problem: The new brass seems to think Weeden is kind of "The Natural," a good ol' boy who can (in his own words) really sling it... but maybe doesn't do his homework. Seems a little laid back at times. They want to see him act like a first rate NFL quarterback and leader, on and off the field.
It's the best group of talent we've had on offense since 2007, clearly. And on top of that, Weeden's going to play a lot more out of the shotgun and go downfield, utilize the big arm. He should be way more comfortable. Now it's about his mind and his eyes and hitting those deep balls, something he did REALLY poorly last year (22nd of 23 who went beyond 20 a certain amount of times).
I think this really is make or break season for Weeden. If he were to build his perfect offensive scheme I don't think it would be much different from this. Add to that pretty much the best pass-pro in the league that will give him time to let his receivers get open and he has everything he needs (except maybe a safety blanket TE - which he shouldn't really need if things go to plan) to big a big success. If he fails and we're drafting in the top 5ish again, I fully expect us to go after someone like Bridgewater next year.
-
I have this sense that Cameron and David Nelson will be those security blankets, although most offenses send them down the seams from 12 formations (like Pats, two so-called TEs in the slots). Nelson could be that other guy even though he isn't technically a TE. He is huge, however.
The real safety net here is Davone Bess, though. I can't stop saying what a great add that was.
-
Skeptical2013 said:
So, a guy who Chud coached in Carolina and did nothing on the receiving end there is going to burst forth and be an outstanding receiver. Wow. Hope you're right!
As I said, injured the past 3 years. Hasn't been able to play much since his rookie season.
As I said, injured the past 3 years. Hasn't been able to play much since his rookie season.
Based on what I read, Barnidge played much of the 2012 season but toward the end of the season only was in for about 12-14 snaps a game. He did miss the entire 2011 season.
But that raises the question: Why did we bother to sign a guy who not only is non-productive as a receiver, but has a history of injuries? Seems to me this is a throw away signing. Focus instead, this off season, should have been on signing a TE with some producivity, like Oakland's TE last season.
-
Zombo said:
Is Nelson healthy? Was he there for OTA's?
Zombo
Nelson's not totally healthy. It seems like half the guys we drafted or signed as FAs are people coming in with injuries? Great offseason, Lombardi!
-
Zombo said:
Is Nelson healthy? Was he there for OTA's?
Zombo
Nelson's not totally healthy. It seems like half the guys we drafted or signed as FAs are people coming in with injuries? Great offseason, Lombardi!
-
Nelson is still on the mend, but on track to be there when camp opens. I don't think missing mini camp is going to be a big problem...he is still there learning the O.
-
Nelson's totally on track, just not cleared to practice yet. When you have a guy recovering from injury, you have a plan and I've read three times in the past three weeks that Nelson is very much on track. Like Pinkston watching for a couple weeks and then stepping into the starting lineup, I expect to see Nelson step in when it's the logical next step. There are no real games for 100 days so you don't rush a guy when you don't have to.
I personally think Lombardi is frustrating "fans" who want desperately to bash him. Reportedly he gets along extremely well with all his colleagues, is first in and last out, and he and Banner (the real final word) have balanced discretion (not bringing in new youngsters to replace the promising youngsters we have) with aggression (moving fast for Kruger and Bryant). We've also made the kind of shrewd acquisitions that can add more victories than headlines: Much better depth at QB, a dependable veteran slot receiver, another good nickel, etc.
On Barnidge: His stats don't matter much because you can't catch what isn't thrown to you. We have a coach who saw him in practice every day and thinks he can contribute as a receiver if given the looks. True of dozens of players all over the league. Makes me think of Jacob Tamme.
-
That's good to hear, with Nelson's height and speed, him and Cameron can cause some matchup headaches down the middle of the field, so you can't double cover Little or Gordon, Bess is a first down machine that you can bring in on third downs, and, oh yeah, T-Rich is a matchup headache out of the backfield.
Zombo
-
I can speak to Barnidge as I've watched a lot of Carolina games living here. I've also shaken the guys hand and got his autograph on a football (worth millions I'm sure haha). He's about as solid as they come for a back-up tightend. Doesn't complain, blocks the run very well (see the bagillion yards put up by Carolina backs and Cam the past several years), and seems to make the catch the few chances he got over the years. I was extremely happy with the signing and you all should be too. He's a definite upgrade from the Alex Smith's of the world. He's also a very solid special teams player.
-
Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.
-
As I said, injured the past 3 years. Hasn't been able to play much since his rookie season.
Based on what I read, Barnidge played much of the 2012 season but toward the end of the season only was in for about 12-14 snaps a game. He did miss the entire 2011 season.
But that raises the question: Why did we bother to sign a guy who not only is non-productive as a receiver, but has a history of injuries? Seems to me this is a throw away signing. Focus instead, this off season, should have been on signing a TE with some producivity, like Oakland's TE last season.
Skeptical2013 said:
Based on what I read, Barnidge played much of the 2012 season but toward the end of the season only was in for about 12-14 snaps a game. He did miss the entire 2011 season.
But that raises the question: Why did we bother to sign a guy who not only is non-productive as a receiver, but has a history of injuries? Seems to me this is a throw away signing. Focus instead, this off season, should have been on signing a TE with some producivity, like Oakland's TE last season.
Didn't they sign like 3 TEs? You have Kellen Davis, Barnidge, Gronkowski, Tannahill, and Jordan. So, the answer to your question is: why not? They can have a half dozen TEs on the roster and see what they can do.
Also,note: Turner is somewhat of a TE guru.....so maybe he thinks more highly of this group than you do. I will trust his judgment more than a guy that does, what did someone call you....just a Madden junkie and fantasy league noob.
-
Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.
Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.
That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.
-
Skeptical2013 said:
Based on what I read, Barnidge played much of the 2012 season but toward the end of the season only was in for about 12-14 snaps a game. He did miss the entire 2011 season.
But that raises the question: Why did we bother to sign a guy who not only is non-productive as a receiver, but has a history of injuries? Seems to me this is a throw away signing. Focus instead, this off season, should have been on signing a TE with some producivity, like Oakland's TE last season.
Didn't they sign like 3 TEs? You have Kellen Davis, Barnidge, Gronkowski, Tannahill, and Jordan. So, the answer to your question is: why not? They can have a half dozen TEs on the roster and see what they can do.
Also,note: Turner is somewhat of a TE guru.....so maybe he thinks more highly of this group than you do. I will trust his judgment more than a guy that does, what did someone call you....just a Madden junkie and fantasy league noob.
Didn't they sign like 3 TEs? You have Kellen Davis, Barnidge, Gronkowski, Tannahill, and Jordan. So, the answer to your question is: why not? They can have a half dozen TEs on the roster and see what they can do.
Also,note: Turner is somewhat of a TE guru.....so maybe he thinks more highly of this group than you do. I will trust his judgment more than a guy that does, what did someone call you....just a Madden junkie and fantasy league noob.
Yes, an "effective" management approach -- let's throw a lot of things at a wall and see if anything sticks.
Tannahill is a guy I'm keeping an eye on -- first team all Big 12. At least he made his conference's all first team -- the Brown's first draft pick wasn't even first team all SEC last season.
-
Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.
That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.
That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.
I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.
-
That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.
I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.
Skeptical2013 said:
I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.
Well, maybe that's a good thing.
I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.
With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.
-
Skeptical2013 said:
I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.
Well, maybe that's a good thing.
I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.
With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.
Well, maybe that's a good thing.
I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.
With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.
Thanks for the positive updates shep, Its much needed as of late.
I see you have been posting over here again, are you here for good or just bored with the other crew?
-
Trying it out. I've been on Browns boards for pushing 20 years now, I know when it becomes rival gangs or cult of personality, all about the poster instead of the post, all the warning signs. When it stops being fun, I just find myself pulling back and checking out another joint. This seems pretty cool. Thanks for asking.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login