Skip to content

Minicamp Reports, 5-23

The Browns Board
146 25 3.8k
  • I can speak to Barnidge as I've watched a lot of Carolina games living here. I've also shaken the guys hand and got his autograph on a football (worth millions I'm sure haha). He's about as solid as they come for a back-up tightend. Doesn't complain, blocks the run very well (see the bagillion yards put up by Carolina backs and Cam the past several years), and seems to make the catch the few chances he got over the years. I was extremely happy with the signing and you all should be too. He's a definite upgrade from the Alex Smith's of the world. He's also a very solid special teams player.

  • Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.

  • @harry-buffalo said:

    As I said, injured the past 3 years. Hasn't been able to play much since his rookie season.

    Based on what I read, Barnidge played much of the 2012 season but toward the end of the season only was in for about 12-14 snaps a game. He did miss the entire 2011 season.

    But that raises the question: Why did we bother to sign a guy who not only is non-productive as a receiver, but has a history of injuries? Seems to me this is a throw away signing. Focus instead, this off season, should have been on signing a TE with some producivity, like Oakland's TE last season.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    Based on what I read, Barnidge played much of the 2012 season but toward the end of the season only was in for about 12-14 snaps a game. He did miss the entire 2011 season.

    But that raises the question: Why did we bother to sign a guy who not only is non-productive as a receiver, but has a history of injuries? Seems to me this is a throw away signing. Focus instead, this off season, should have been on signing a TE with some producivity, like Oakland's TE last season.

    Didn't they sign like 3 TEs? You have Kellen Davis, Barnidge, Gronkowski, Tannahill, and Jordan. So, the answer to your question is: why not? They can have a half dozen TEs on the roster and see what they can do.

    Also,note: Turner is somewhat of a TE guru.....so maybe he thinks more highly of this group than you do. I will trust his judgment more than a guy that does, what did someone call you....just a Madden junkie and fantasy league noob.

  • Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.

    @shep said:

    Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.

    That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.

  • Skeptical2013 said:

    Based on what I read, Barnidge played much of the 2012 season but toward the end of the season only was in for about 12-14 snaps a game. He did miss the entire 2011 season.

    But that raises the question: Why did we bother to sign a guy who not only is non-productive as a receiver, but has a history of injuries? Seems to me this is a throw away signing. Focus instead, this off season, should have been on signing a TE with some producivity, like Oakland's TE last season.

    Didn't they sign like 3 TEs? You have Kellen Davis, Barnidge, Gronkowski, Tannahill, and Jordan. So, the answer to your question is: why not? They can have a half dozen TEs on the roster and see what they can do.

    Also,note: Turner is somewhat of a TE guru.....so maybe he thinks more highly of this group than you do. I will trust his judgment more than a guy that does, what did someone call you....just a Madden junkie and fantasy league noob.

    @the-gipper said:

    Didn't they sign like 3 TEs? You have Kellen Davis, Barnidge, Gronkowski, Tannahill, and Jordan. So, the answer to your question is: why not? They can have a half dozen TEs on the roster and see what they can do.

    Also,note: Turner is somewhat of a TE guru.....so maybe he thinks more highly of this group than you do. I will trust his judgment more than a guy that does, what did someone call you....just a Madden junkie and fantasy league noob.

    Yes, an "effective" management approach -- let's throw a lot of things at a wall and see if anything sticks.

    Tannahill is a guy I'm keeping an eye on -- first team all Big 12. At least he made his conference's all first team -- the Brown's first draft pick wasn't even first team all SEC last season.

  • @shep said:

    Good stuff, JRB. Also, Kellen Davis is a monster blocker, also an upgrade over Alex Smith. Just read that Norv has evolved away from a traditional fullback and uses a TE shifting into the backfield like a lot of teams. We brought in two guys who can block and Cameron gets a year to prove he can be The Guy catching the ball.

    That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.

    @the-gipper said:

    That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.

    I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.

  • @the-gipper said:

    That is probably why a guy like Marecic is still the only Fullback on this team....and soon maybe there will be no pure FB here.

    I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.

    Well, maybe that's a good thing.

    I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.

    With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.

  • Skeptical2013 said:

    I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.

    Well, maybe that's a good thing.

    I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.

    With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.

    @shep said:

    Well, maybe that's a good thing.

    I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.

    With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.

    Thanks for the positive updates shep, Its much needed as of late.

    I see you have been posting over here again, are you here for good or just bored with the other crew?

  • Trying it out. I've been on Browns boards for pushing 20 years now, I know when it becomes rival gangs or cult of personality, all about the poster instead of the post, all the warning signs. When it stops being fun, I just find myself pulling back and checking out another joint. This seems pretty cool. Thanks for asking.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Didn't they sign like 3 TEs? You have Kellen Davis, Barnidge, Gronkowski, Tannahill, and Jordan. So, the answer to your question is: why not? They can have a half dozen TEs on the roster and see what they can do.

    Also,note: Turner is somewhat of a TE guru.....so maybe he thinks more highly of this group than you do. I will trust his judgment more than a guy that does, what did someone call you....just a Madden junkie and fantasy league noob.

    Yes, an "effective" management approach -- let's throw a lot of things at a wall and see if anything sticks.

    Tannahill is a guy I'm keeping an eye on -- first team all Big 12. At least he made his conference's all first team -- the Brown's first draft pick wasn't even first team all SEC last season.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    Yes, an "effective" management approach -- let's throw a lot of things at a wall and see if anything sticks.

    Tannahill is a guy I'm keeping an eye on -- first team all Big 12. At least he made his conference's all first team -- the Brown's first draft pick wasn't even first team all SEC last season.

    You are the one who is impressed merely by numbers. You have acted like Dudley from the Harry Potter movie and gone postal because you only got 36 birthday presents and not 37 when it came to draft choices.

    The Browns collected baubles and baubles at the TE spot. That should make you happy since collecting baubles is what you seem all about.

  • Gordon is 6'5 220. Nelson is 6'6 220. Little is 6'3 220.

    I think we're more than big enough at the WR position. Even Seattle can't match that - height yes but size no.

    Our 5WR formation may not have a TE.. Bess and Benjamin both have better hands than Cameron.

  • Gordon is 6'5 220. Nelson is 6'6 220. Little is 6'3 220.

    I think we're more than big enough at the WR position. Even Seattle can't match that - height yes but size no.

    Our 5WR formation may not have a TE.. Bess and Benjamin both have better hands than Cameron.

    Most tight ends aren't really TEs, but really big, physical WRs who can run and create mismatches. Ain't like New England asks Gronk or Hernandez to block much.

    So when you have WRs the size of any of these guys, you can create the same situation by putting two big guys in the slot... say, Nelson and Little but there are other combos... and Gordon and Benjamin on the outside.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Gordon is 6'5 220. Nelson is 6'6 220. Little is 6'3 220.

    I think we're more than big enough at the WR position. Even Seattle can't match that - height yes but size no.

    Our 5WR formation may not have a TE.. Bess and Benjamin both have better hands than Cameron.

  • That Torrey Gurley dude we just signed is 6'4 234 lbs too ... I bet Chud sees him as a TE project

  • Good stuff Shep. I agree.

    If you want blocking out of the position, stick a 2nd or 3rd team tackle out there. If you want real production, stick a big WR out there....what a waste it would have been had Sam required a blocking TE over Ozzie.

    Harry Holt is a HOF'er for sure had he blocked more over letting Ozzie catch passes for big yardage.

  • Running backs get hurt. A lot. Good thing to have several, not overcommit (in draft picks or dollars) to any one.

    @shep said:

    Running backs get hurt. A lot. Good thing to have several, not overcommit (in draft picks or dollars) to any one.

    that's why you don't pick one at 3.

  • Skeptical2013 said:

    Yes, an "effective" management approach -- let's throw a lot of things at a wall and see if anything sticks.

    Tannahill is a guy I'm keeping an eye on -- first team all Big 12. At least he made his conference's all first team -- the Brown's first draft pick wasn't even first team all SEC last season.

    You are the one who is impressed merely by numbers. You have acted like Dudley from the Harry Potter movie and gone postal because you only got 36 birthday presents and not 37 when it came to draft choices.

    The Browns collected baubles and baubles at the TE spot. That should make you happy since collecting baubles is what you seem all about.

    @the-gipper said:

    You are the one who is impressed merely by numbers. You have acted like Dudley from the Harry Potter movie and gone postal because you only got 36 birthday presents and not 37 when it came to draft choices.

    The Browns collected baubles and baubles at the TE spot. That should make you happy since collecting baubles is what you seem all about.

    The Browns have one of the weakest groups of tight ends of any team in pro football. The inability to go out and get a good, proven pass receving tight end in free agency -- to add to Weeden's arsenal of weapons and help the kid be successful -- is unconscionable. They did add Bess and Nelson to help, and like both moves, but they also should have gotten a TE.

  • Most tight ends aren't really TEs, but really big, physical WRs who can run and create mismatches. Ain't like New England asks Gronk or Hernandez to block much.

    So when you have WRs the size of any of these guys, you can create the same situation by putting two big guys in the slot... say, Nelson and Little but there are other combos... and Gordon and Benjamin on the outside.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Gordon is 6'5 220. Nelson is 6'6 220. Little is 6'3 220.

    I think we're more than big enough at the WR position. Even Seattle can't match that - height yes but size no.

    Our 5WR formation may not have a TE.. Bess and Benjamin both have better hands than Cameron.

    @shep said:

    Most tight ends aren't really TEs, but really big, physical WRs who can run and create mismatches. Ain't like New England asks Gronk or Hernandez to block much.

    So when you have WRs the size of any of these guys, you can create the same situation by putting two big guys in the slot... say, Nelson and Little but there are other combos... and Gordon and Benjamin on the outside.

    Browns plan to use Nelson in some tight end formatins and that's a really smart move.

  • Skeptical2013 said:

    I love Turner's approach to moving the TE's all over the place, but it's a shame he doesn't have better talent. When the Browns put Bandridge and Davis out as receivers, I think DBs and safeties will simply break out with laughter.

    Well, maybe that's a good thing.

    I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.

    With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.

    @shep said:

    Well, maybe that's a good thing.

    I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.

    With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.

    The Browns' receiving corps is NFL average. Little and Gordon still have problems running routes, Benjamin and Cameron didn't show a lot as receivers last year, and Nelson is coming off a bad injury. I do think Little and Gordon can get better, but I am prediciting that Little's dropsy problem will resurface this season.

  • @shep said:

    Most tight ends aren't really TEs, but really big, physical WRs who can run and create mismatches. Ain't like New England asks Gronk or Hernandez to block much.

    So when you have WRs the size of any of these guys, you can create the same situation by putting two big guys in the slot... say, Nelson and Little but there are other combos... and Gordon and Benjamin on the outside.

    Browns plan to use Nelson in some tight end formatins and that's a really smart move.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    Browns plan to use Nelson in some tight end formatins and that's a really smart move.

    Right, so quicher bitchin', bitch.

  • @shep said:

    Well, maybe that's a good thing.

    I think you'll see very little of those two guys as receivers unless Barnidge is the breakout surprise of camp. I heard he looks good in shorts (DOH!). But seriously, that he can run and catch.

    With Little, Gordon, Bess, Benjamin, Cameron, and Nelson, I think we have a lot of guys who shouldn't cause guffaws. Davis will mostly block.

    The Browns' receiving corps is NFL average. Little and Gordon still have problems running routes, Benjamin and Cameron didn't show a lot as receivers last year, and Nelson is coming off a bad injury. I do think Little and Gordon can get better, but I am prediciting that Little's dropsy problem will resurface this season.

    Skeptical2013 said:

    The Browns' receiving corps is NFL average. Little and Gordon still have problems running routes, Benjamin and Cameron didn't show a lot as receivers last year, and Nelson is coming off a bad injury. I do think Little and Gordon can get better, but I am prediciting that Little's dropsy problem will resurface this season.

    Yea, I am sure your Madden 2013 tells you everything you know about it.

    You know, if we all ranked the patrons/posters on this board like we do football players, you would be an Undrafted FA on the verge of being cut.

    One Trick Ponies don't make it in this league.