Browns Defense Will Dramatically Improve - Major Reason
-
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in Horton. He did very little to develop or young defensive backs and only after Lake came in as a Coach did they really start to progress. He was never someone that impressed me and the Football masses in Pittsburgh weren't up in arms about his departure. I'm not saying he won't be good, I have no idea how he'll be as THE GUY running the defense but he didn't impress as the defensive backs coach in Pittsburgh and he wasn't in Arizona long enough to make a mark.
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in your future as an NFL analyst on ESPNI wouldn't put a ton of stock in Horton. He did very little to develop or young defensive backs and only after Lake came in as a Coach did they really start to progress. He was never someone that impressed me and the Football masses in Pittsburgh weren't up in arms about his departure. I'm not saying he won't be good, I have no idea how he'll be as THE GUY running the defense but he didn't impress as the defensive backs coach in Pittsburgh and he wasn't in Arizona long enough to make a mark.
-
As in...sitting back and waiting for the opponent's offense to screw up, vs going aggressive anddisrupting plays, getting to and hurrying the qb....?I'll take the later for a desperately needed change.I can't WAIT to watch the Browns play aggressive football this season:*****************************************
"Ray Horton is so smart in what he does -- he thinks outside the box," Jackson said. "He doesn't have a blueprint. He likes to mix it up a little bit. It's going to be harder for offenses to game plan for us."Jauron and Horton were both NFL defensive backs. Jauron played from 1973-80 and Horton played from 1983-92. Coincidentally, both spent time with the Bengals.Jackson said Jauron and Horton are respected because of their NFL background, yet they have completely different philosophies."They're totally different," Jackson said. "Dick was a cerebral guy. He was so calm. I love everything about Dick. I see him all the time where we live, so we speak all the time."Dick Jauron didn't rely on pressuring the quarterback. He wanted to let the offense make a mistake. Ray Horton wants to get after people. He's aggressive."There is more to learn in Horton's defense, Jackson said. Horton has put players at multiple positions in OTAs to see where they fit best. Jabaal Sheard is moving from end to outside linebacker, but he isn't the only one. Johnson Bademosi is shifting from cornerback to safety and Ahtyba Rubin is going from defensive tackle to end."It's a totally different defense so there is a lot of adjustments -- terminology, drops, the way I call games, the way I ask them to learn the defense," Horton said. "Right now I'm just asking them to trust me and trust the defense and they are doing that. We're pleased with where we are in OTAs."The front office poured money into free agency and high draft picks to improve the defense. The Browns top two free-agent pickups were linebacker Paul Kruger and defensive end Desmond Bryant. They picked five players in the draft and didn't take an offensive player until they drafted Chadron State OL Garrett Gilkey with the 227th pick. Nobody is happier about that strategy than Horton."I am very pleased with how Mr. (Joe) Banner, Mr. (Jimmy) Haslam and coach (Rob) Chud (Chudzinski) have stockpiled the defense," Horton said. "We have got a lot of talent and we're going to try to figure out who fits where it's best for the Cleveland Browns to play very good defense."Everywhere I go, I hear about the Dawg Pound. I meet people and they say they are in the Dawg Pound third row or this or that and they are excited. We are excited to put a good product on the field that the Cleveland fans will love and be excited about."The Browns ranked 23rd defensively last year. They gave up 27 passing touchdowns and 14 rushing touchdowns.As in...sitting back and waiting for the opponent's offense to screw up, vs going aggressive anddisrupting plays, getting to and hurrying the qb....?I'll take the later for a desperately needed change.I can't WAIT to watch the Browns play aggressive football this season:*****************************************"Ray Horton is so smart in what he does -- he thinks outside the box," Jackson said. "He doesn't have a blueprint. He likes to mix it up a little bit. It's going to be harder for offenses to game plan for us."Jauron and Horton were both NFL defensive backs. Jauron played from 1973-80 and Horton played from 1983-92. Coincidentally, both spent time with the Bengals.Jackson said Jauron and Horton are respected because of their NFL background, yet they have completely different philosophies."They're totally different," Jackson said. "Dick was a cerebral guy. He was so calm. I love everything about Dick. I see him all the time where we live, so we speak all the time."Dick Jauron didn't rely on pressuring the quarterback. He wanted to let the offense make a mistake. Ray Horton wants to get after people. He's aggressive."There is more to learn in Horton's defense, Jackson said. Horton has put players at multiple positions in OTAs to see where they fit best. Jabaal Sheard is moving from end to outside linebacker, but he isn't the only one. Johnson Bademosi is shifting from cornerback to safety and Ahtyba Rubin is going from defensive tackle to end."It's a totally different defense so there is a lot of adjustments -- terminology, drops, the way I call games, the way I ask them to learn the defense," Horton said. "Right now I'm just asking them to trust me and trust the defense and they are doing that. We're pleased with where we are in OTAs."The front office poured money into free agency and high draft picks to improve the defense. The Browns top two free-agent pickups were linebacker Paul Kruger and defensive end Desmond Bryant. They picked five players in the draft and didn't take an offensive player until they drafted Chadron State OL Garrett Gilkey with the 227th pick. Nobody is happier about that strategy than Horton."I am very pleased with how Mr. (Joe) Banner, Mr. (Jimmy) Haslam and coach (Rob) Chud (Chudzinski) have stockpiled the defense," Horton said. "We have got a lot of talent and we're going to try to figure out who fits where it's best for the Cleveland Browns to play very good defense."Everywhere I go, I hear about the Dawg Pound. I meet people and they say they are in the Dawg Pound third row or this or that and they are excited. We are excited to put a good product on the field that the Cleveland fans will love and be excited about."The Browns ranked 23rd defensively last year. They gave up 27 passing touchdowns and 14 rushing touchdowns.And one of the reasons they gave up some many passing TDs is that their defensive secondary stank. It still stinks, no depth at all. It would be wonderful if a defense only consisted of the front 7 -- we are good there, for sure.
Unfortunately, a defense consists of 11 players, including a secondary. That is why teams like the Ravens used their first pick to get a free safety and the Steelers traded away their third pick next year to add a strong safety this year. They understand that all 11 players must be pretty good on defense. Lombardi, Horton, Banner and company don't get it and apparently you are in their camp, too.
Plus the fact we added guys like Kruger and Mingo who are notoriously bad against the run. I don't care if your specialty is the pass rush. As a LB you still have to be able to stop the run on occasion. That will be the downfall of Jarvis Jones, the Steelers first pick, too, becasue he stinks against the run.
-
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in Horton. He did very little to develop or young defensive backs and only after Lake came in as a Coach did they really start to progress. He was never someone that impressed me and the Football masses in Pittsburgh weren't up in arms about his departure. I'm not saying he won't be good, I have no idea how he'll be as THE GUY running the defense but he didn't impress as the defensive backs coach in Pittsburgh and he wasn't in Arizona long enough to make a mark.
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in Horton. He did very little to develop or young defensive backs and only after Lake came in as a Coach did they really start to progress. He was never someone that impressed me and the Football masses in Pittsburgh weren't up in arms about his departure. I'm not saying he won't be good, I have no idea how he'll be as THE GUY running the defense but he didn't impress as the defensive backs coach in Pittsburgh and he wasn't in Arizona long enough to make a mark.
I wouldnt put any stock in who ever succeeds LeBeau...But let Me guess...your coaches are "plug and play" coaches because they have stooler hats on...we get it...lol...your as stupid as they come......And no one here would/will dispute that...have fun dummy....
-
As in...sitting back and waiting for the opponent's offense to screw up, vs going aggressive anddisrupting plays, getting to and hurrying the qb....?I'll take the later for a desperately needed change.I can't WAIT to watch the Browns play aggressive football this season:*****************************************
"Ray Horton is so smart in what he does -- he thinks outside the box," Jackson said. "He doesn't have a blueprint. He likes to mix it up a little bit. It's going to be harder for offenses to game plan for us."Jauron and Horton were both NFL defensive backs. Jauron played from 1973-80 and Horton played from 1983-92. Coincidentally, both spent time with the Bengals.Jackson said Jauron and Horton are respected because of their NFL background, yet they have completely different philosophies."They're totally different," Jackson said. "Dick was a cerebral guy. He was so calm. I love everything about Dick. I see him all the time where we live, so we speak all the time."Dick Jauron didn't rely on pressuring the quarterback. He wanted to let the offense make a mistake. Ray Horton wants to get after people. He's aggressive."There is more to learn in Horton's defense, Jackson said. Horton has put players at multiple positions in OTAs to see where they fit best. Jabaal Sheard is moving from end to outside linebacker, but he isn't the only one. Johnson Bademosi is shifting from cornerback to safety and Ahtyba Rubin is going from defensive tackle to end."It's a totally different defense so there is a lot of adjustments -- terminology, drops, the way I call games, the way I ask them to learn the defense," Horton said. "Right now I'm just asking them to trust me and trust the defense and they are doing that. We're pleased with where we are in OTAs."The front office poured money into free agency and high draft picks to improve the defense. The Browns top two free-agent pickups were linebacker Paul Kruger and defensive end Desmond Bryant. They picked five players in the draft and didn't take an offensive player until they drafted Chadron State OL Garrett Gilkey with the 227th pick. Nobody is happier about that strategy than Horton."I am very pleased with how Mr. (Joe) Banner, Mr. (Jimmy) Haslam and coach (Rob) Chud (Chudzinski) have stockpiled the defense," Horton said. "We have got a lot of talent and we're going to try to figure out who fits where it's best for the Cleveland Browns to play very good defense."Everywhere I go, I hear about the Dawg Pound. I meet people and they say they are in the Dawg Pound third row or this or that and they are excited. We are excited to put a good product on the field that the Cleveland fans will love and be excited about."The Browns ranked 23rd defensively last year. They gave up 27 passing touchdowns and 14 rushing touchdowns. -
with a lot less talent, still no.
-
As in...sitting back and waiting for the opponent's offense to screw up, vs going aggressive anddisrupting plays, getting to and hurrying the qb....?I'll take the later for a desperately needed change.I can't WAIT to watch the Browns play aggressive football this season:*****************************************
"Ray Horton is so smart in what he does -- he thinks outside the box," Jackson said. "He doesn't have a blueprint. He likes to mix it up a little bit. It's going to be harder for offenses to game plan for us."Jauron and Horton were both NFL defensive backs. Jauron played from 1973-80 and Horton played from 1983-92. Coincidentally, both spent time with the Bengals.Jackson said Jauron and Horton are respected because of their NFL background, yet they have completely different philosophies."They're totally different," Jackson said. "Dick was a cerebral guy. He was so calm. I love everything about Dick. I see him all the time where we live, so we speak all the time."Dick Jauron didn't rely on pressuring the quarterback. He wanted to let the offense make a mistake. Ray Horton wants to get after people. He's aggressive."There is more to learn in Horton's defense, Jackson said. Horton has put players at multiple positions in OTAs to see where they fit best. Jabaal Sheard is moving from end to outside linebacker, but he isn't the only one. Johnson Bademosi is shifting from cornerback to safety and Ahtyba Rubin is going from defensive tackle to end."It's a totally different defense so there is a lot of adjustments -- terminology, drops, the way I call games, the way I ask them to learn the defense," Horton said. "Right now I'm just asking them to trust me and trust the defense and they are doing that. We're pleased with where we are in OTAs."The front office poured money into free agency and high draft picks to improve the defense. The Browns top two free-agent pickups were linebacker Paul Kruger and defensive end Desmond Bryant. They picked five players in the draft and didn't take an offensive player until they drafted Chadron State OL Garrett Gilkey with the 227th pick. Nobody is happier about that strategy than Horton."I am very pleased with how Mr. (Joe) Banner, Mr. (Jimmy) Haslam and coach (Rob) Chud (Chudzinski) have stockpiled the defense," Horton said. "We have got a lot of talent and we're going to try to figure out who fits where it's best for the Cleveland Browns to play very good defense."Everywhere I go, I hear about the Dawg Pound. I meet people and they say they are in the Dawg Pound third row or this or that and they are excited. We are excited to put a good product on the field that the Cleveland fans will love and be excited about."The Browns ranked 23rd defensively last year. They gave up 27 passing touchdowns and 14 rushing touchdowns.As in...sitting back and waiting for the opponent's offense to screw up, vs going aggressive anddisrupting plays, getting to and hurrying the qb....?I'll take the later for a desperately needed change.I can't WAIT to watch the Browns play aggressive football this season:*****************************************"Ray Horton is so smart in what he does -- he thinks outside the box," Jackson said. "He doesn't have a blueprint. He likes to mix it up a little bit. It's going to be harder for offenses to game plan for us."Jauron and Horton were both NFL defensive backs. Jauron played from 1973-80 and Horton played from 1983-92. Coincidentally, both spent time with the Bengals.Jackson said Jauron and Horton are respected because of their NFL background, yet they have completely different philosophies."They're totally different," Jackson said. "Dick was a cerebral guy. He was so calm. I love everything about Dick. I see him all the time where we live, so we speak all the time."Dick Jauron didn't rely on pressuring the quarterback. He wanted to let the offense make a mistake. Ray Horton wants to get after people. He's aggressive."There is more to learn in Horton's defense, Jackson said. Horton has put players at multiple positions in OTAs to see where they fit best. Jabaal Sheard is moving from end to outside linebacker, but he isn't the only one. Johnson Bademosi is shifting from cornerback to safety and Ahtyba Rubin is going from defensive tackle to end."It's a totally different defense so there is a lot of adjustments -- terminology, drops, the way I call games, the way I ask them to learn the defense," Horton said. "Right now I'm just asking them to trust me and trust the defense and they are doing that. We're pleased with where we are in OTAs."The front office poured money into free agency and high draft picks to improve the defense. The Browns top two free-agent pickups were linebacker Paul Kruger and defensive end Desmond Bryant. They picked five players in the draft and didn't take an offensive player until they drafted Chadron State OL Garrett Gilkey with the 227th pick. Nobody is happier about that strategy than Horton."I am very pleased with how Mr. (Joe) Banner, Mr. (Jimmy) Haslam and coach (Rob) Chud (Chudzinski) have stockpiled the defense," Horton said. "We have got a lot of talent and we're going to try to figure out who fits where it's best for the Cleveland Browns to play very good defense."Everywhere I go, I hear about the Dawg Pound. I meet people and they say they are in the Dawg Pound third row or this or that and they are excited. We are excited to put a good product on the field that the Cleveland fans will love and be excited about."The Browns ranked 23rd defensively last year. They gave up 27 passing touchdowns and 14 rushing touchdowns.Dick Jauron is a terrific coach who had a lot of mediocre to lousy talent to work with in Cleveland, especially at linebacker and in the secondary. Ray Horton is also a fine coach with a better group of players than Jauron had.
But if Browns fans think this defense is going to be significantly improved, they may be in for a rude surprise.
Other NFL offensive coordinators aren't going to sit back and let Horton dictate what happens on the field. A highly aggressive defense can be offset by running the ball (an area which remains a BIG Browns weakness on defense) and rolling out the QB. And Ben R, J. Flacco and A. Dalton all have the capability to do that, which they will do, and then hit long passes agaisnt the Browns overall weak secondary. There are no Patrick Patterson's in the Browns' secondary, like Horton had in Arizona and it will take a while, anyhow, for this team to learn how to play together in the new defensive scheme in actual, real game situations that count.
We're still going to give up a lot of points.and the defense is still going to lose some close games. And the defense will still be on the field a lot as the offense will be better, but not significantly better.
-
You'll see. Corners are basically the WRs of the defense, heavily dependent on pass rush like WRs are heavily dependent on playing with Manning or Rodgers (!). They're both just really dependent. If you rattle the pocket and shrink the window, suddenly you have better corners than you thought.
The league has made it so hard to be a "shutdown corner." Every five years or so, a really good one comes along but it doesn't seem to add up to all that much. Revis and the Jets never made it to the Super Bowl and fell of quickly, partially because they never had a pass rush or a great quarterback and those are the real building blocks now.
-


Two of my favorite "shutdown corners"......Ronnie Lott and Champ B
-
I wouldn't put a ton of stock in Horton. He did very little to develop or young defensive backs and only after Lake came in as a Coach did they really start to progress. He was never someone that impressed me and the Football masses in Pittsburgh weren't up in arms about his departure. I'm not saying he won't be good, I have no idea how he'll be as THE GUY running the defense but he didn't impress as the defensive backs coach in Pittsburgh and he wasn't in Arizona long enough to make a mark.
I wouldnt put any stock in who ever succeeds LeBeau...But let Me guess...your coaches are "plug and play" coaches because they have stooler hats on...we get it...lol...your as stupid as they come......And no one here would/will dispute that...have fun dummy....
I wouldnt put any stock in who ever succeeds LeBeau...But let Me guess...your coaches are "plug and play" coaches because they have stooler hats on...we get it...lol...your as stupid as they come......And no one here would/will dispute that...have fun dummy....
No you`re the dummy chubby. Keith Butler the linebackers coach has turned down a few defensive coordinator jobs because when lebeau retires hes the guy. The Rooneys have been saying that for a while so yes in that instance its very much plug and play. Hes been a major factor in the development of our linebackers and helped you goons get a guy to the pro bowl in jamir miller. Hes been under lebeau for a long time so him stepping in should be pretty smooth when that time comes.
-
You'll see. Corners are basically the WRs of the defense, heavily dependent on pass rush like WRs are heavily dependent on playing with Manning or Rodgers (!). They're both just really dependent. If you rattle the pocket and shrink the window, suddenly you have better corners than you thought.
The league has made it so hard to be a "shutdown corner." Every five years or so, a really good one comes along but it doesn't seem to add up to all that much. Revis and the Jets never made it to the Super Bowl and fell of quickly, partially because they never had a pass rush or a great quarterback and those are the real building blocks now.
You'll see. Corners are basically the WRs of the defense, heavily dependent on pass rush like WRs are heavily dependent on playing with Manning or Rodgers (!). They're both just really dependent. If you rattle the pocket and shrink the window, suddenly you have better corners than you thought.
The league has made it so hard to be a "shutdown corner." Every five years or so, a really good one comes along but it doesn't seem to add up to all that much. Revis and the Jets never made it to the Super Bowl and fell of quickly, partially because they never had a pass rush or a great quarterback and those are the real building blocks now.
You betcha AND that rush can & does change running plays behind the line, giving the D more time to react & pursue. I have wanted an aggressive D in Cleveland for as long as I can remember, as it WILL be disruptive. I'm also sure it will occasionally get burned, but it WON'T allow opponents to continually march down the field on us, burning the clock as they go. This promises to be exciting.
Mike
-
I wouldnt put any stock in who ever succeeds LeBeau...But let Me guess...your coaches are "plug and play" coaches because they have stooler hats on...we get it...lol...your as stupid as they come......And no one here would/will dispute that...have fun dummy....
No you`re the dummy chubby. Keith Butler the linebackers coach has turned down a few defensive coordinator jobs because when lebeau retires hes the guy. The Rooneys have been saying that for a while so yes in that instance its very much plug and play. Hes been a major factor in the development of our linebackers and helped you goons get a guy to the pro bowl in jamir miller. Hes been under lebeau for a long time so him stepping in should be pretty smooth when that time comes.
No you`re the dummy chubby. Keith Butler the linebackers coach has turned down a few defensive coordinator jobs because when lebeau retires hes the guy. The Rooneys have been saying that for a while so yes in that instance its very much plug and play. Hes been a major factor in the development of our linebackers and helped you goons get a guy to the pro bowl in jamir miller. Hes been under lebeau for a long time so him stepping in should be pretty smooth when that time comes.
Again...might be good with linebackers...but is he good with DB's,and DE's....thats debatable ..I think your over value him just because Rooney said he's heir apparent...Dick LeBeau's dont grow on tree's numbnut. ..not everyone has the same feel and ability to call defensive plays and set up schemes...some of that is coaching...some of that is talent...how great have your steelers really been since Dr Rydze became public fodder?...mhmmm it was mostly roids and Harrison being jacked out of his mind...out side of that your full of crap!
-
No you`re the dummy chubby. Keith Butler the linebackers coach has turned down a few defensive coordinator jobs because when lebeau retires hes the guy. The Rooneys have been saying that for a while so yes in that instance its very much plug and play. Hes been a major factor in the development of our linebackers and helped you goons get a guy to the pro bowl in jamir miller. Hes been under lebeau for a long time so him stepping in should be pretty smooth when that time comes.
Again...might be good with linebackers...but is he good with DB's,and DE's....thats debatable ..I think your over value him just because Rooney said he's heir apparent...Dick LeBeau's dont grow on tree's numbnut. ..not everyone has the same feel and ability to call defensive plays and set up schemes...some of that is coaching...some of that is talent...how great have your steelers really been since Dr Rydze became public fodder?...mhmmm it was mostly roids and Harrison being jacked out of his mind...out side of that your full of crap!
Yeah I agree look at the assistants under belichick that tried moving up to the next level.Again...might be good with linebackers...but is he good with DB's,and DE's....thats debatable ..I think your over value him just because Rooney said he's heir apparent...Dick LeBeau's dont grow on tree's numbnut. ..not everyone has the same feel and ability to call defensive plays and set up schemes...some of that is coaching...some of that is talent...how great have your steelers really been since Dr Rydze became public fodder?...mhmmm it was mostly roids and Harrison being jacked out of his mind...out side of that your full of crap!
-
And let Me also add...if Keith fucking butler was sooo fucking hot..I dont think a promise from Rooney is gonna keep him there if the money is right..and if they have guaranteed something..That may,or may not be tampering with NFL rules...you always prove undoubtedly you are a stooge when it comes to football..LOL
-
Yeah I agree look at the assistants under belichick that tried moving up to the next level.Again...might be good with linebackers...but is he good with DB's,and DE's....thats debatable ..I think your over value him just because Rooney said he's heir apparent...Dick LeBeau's dont grow on tree's numbnut. ..not everyone has the same feel and ability to call defensive plays and set up schemes...some of that is coaching...some of that is talent...how great have your steelers really been since Dr Rydze became public fodder?...mhmmm it was mostly roids and Harrison being jacked out of his mind...out side of that your full of crap!
Yeah I agree look at the assistants under belichick that tried moving up to the next level.
Al Groh
Romeo Crennel
Nick Saban (successful in college)
Josh McDaniels
Have all failed at the next NFL level.
-
You'll see. Corners are basically the WRs of the defense, heavily dependent on pass rush like WRs are heavily dependent on playing with Manning or Rodgers (!). They're both just really dependent. If you rattle the pocket and shrink the window, suddenly you have better corners than you thought.
The league has made it so hard to be a "shutdown corner." Every five years or so, a really good one comes along but it doesn't seem to add up to all that much. Revis and the Jets never made it to the Super Bowl and fell of quickly, partially because they never had a pass rush or a great quarterback and those are the real building blocks now.
You'll see. Corners are basically the WRs of the defense, heavily dependent on pass rush like WRs are heavily dependent on playing with Manning or Rodgers (!). They're both just really dependent. If you rattle the pocket and shrink the window, suddenly you have better corners than you thought.
The league has made it so hard to be a "shutdown corner." Every five years or so, a really good one comes along but it doesn't seem to add up to all that much. Revis and the Jets never made it to the Super Bowl and fell of quickly, partially because they never had a pass rush or a great quarterback and those are the real building blocks now.
As I mentioned the other day, one of the key reasons you want to have a really good athlete at Free Safety -- and why I advocated for it so hard and long on this board -- is that when the pressure is put on the QB, and he feels it, you want to be able to take advantage of the mistakes he may make via throwing inaccurately and thus pick off the pass. Ed Reed was the master of this, an intimidator.
Last year, for instance, we saw how rattled Weeden got against the Ravens at times as Reed, even in the twilight of his career, got into Weden's head, more say than Suggs did. That's the kind of thing I'm talking about. Is Gipson good enough to be a speedy, savvy, FS in the mold of an Ed Reed? That's questionable. But even more concerning is that if Gipson gets hurt we don't have the athletes at that position to do an adequate job back there, at least in my view.
Another thought: to this day I maintain the Browns would have been in two Super Bowls back in the mid 80s if safety Don Rogers hadn't died of an overdose the night before his wedding. Rogers was the kind of intimidating, athletic safety I'm talking about. He had made some key INTs in his rookie season when the Browns made the playoffs and was on his way to becoming all pro. His replacement was slow and not as athletic and that really hurt the Browns against the Broncos. .
-
-
Skeptical2013 said:
Champ Bailey is overrated, in my opinion. Didn't Lott play safety?
Champ Bailey had great cover speed..Not a great tackler...but then Deion Sanders was a shitty tackler too...And yes Ronnie Lott was a safety..who was great but I thought he was a tad overrated.
-
The overall pass D was league average last year. In fact all aspects of the Browns D were good last year - especially the DL.
So I'm not sure the D will be able to improve - because they're already quite good. Beware of ascribing causation to things that are only vaguely correlated.
Here is the stat that actually shows where the team issue is, and why we've been in the cellar of the AFCN.
I wouldn't look for a big defensive improvement - if possible, great. But we need a significantly better offense. Our D is already good, better than most.. and our differential between O and D is still terrible, because our offense was beyond terrible last year.
-
They gave up a ton of yards (I think they were 25th overall?) and a lot of points (19th overall). There's a ton of room for improvement, actually. They did some things well but the biggest problem was getting off the field on third downs, probably because they couldn't generate a pass rush without sending DBs so it was choose your poison against good passers.
Horton put up really good numbers in the pass rush and against the pass (#1 in Passer Rating D) but didn't do all that well as far as the bottom line, scoring defense. He didn't have any dominant pass rushers either. Neither the Browns nor last year's Cards had guys like Mingo, Kruger, and Desmond Bryant. When Sheard is your third best pass rusher rather than your first and pretty much only, that's a huge change.
The hope is that the Browns spend a lot of time in the 4-2-5, Horton's pass package, because they've taken leads. Then we'll generate a pass rush with a front four that could include combinations of Mingo, Kruger, Sheard, Bryant, Winn, Taylor, etc., DQJ and Robertson at linebacker, and five DBs from Haden, McFadden, Skrine, Owens, Ward, Gipson, and Bademosi.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login