Skip to content

Quarterback Quadrants

The Browns Board
9 5 362
  • There are 32 teams in the NFL. 32 is easily divisible by 4 to make 8. There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL this year. I am going to divide those QBs into quadrants of 8 each in 4 tiers. So, here is my evaluation:

    Top Quadrant (no order within quadrant), the proven, plus one shining star:

    Peyton Manning

    Drew Brees

    Tom Brady

    Aaron Rodgers

    Eli Manning

    Ben Roethlisberger

    Joe Flacco

    (all of the above SB winners)

    Andrew Luck

    (simply considered by everyone one of the top 3 greatest QB prospects of all time)

    Second Quadrant (no order):

    Matt Ryan

    Cam Newton

    Colin Kaepernick

    Robert Griffin

    Russell Wilson

    Matt Stafford

    Andy Dalton

    Matt Schaub

    Third Quadrant

    Jay Cutler

    Sam Bradford

    Phillip Rivers

    Carson Palmer

    Michael Vick\

    Tony Romo

    Alex Smith

    Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill

    Fourth Quadrant

    Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill

    Josh Freeman

    Blaine Gabbert

    Mark Sanchez

    Kevin Kolb

    Christian Ponder

    Jake Locker

    Matt Flynn

    Obviously, this is all subject to change as the season(s) go along.

  • There are 32 teams in the NFL. 32 is easily divisible by 4 to make 8. There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL this year. I am going to divide those QBs into quadrants of 8 each in 4 tiers. So, here is my evaluation:

    Top Quadrant (no order within quadrant), the proven, plus one shining star:

    Peyton Manning

    Drew Brees

    Tom Brady

    Aaron Rodgers

    Eli Manning

    Ben Roethlisberger

    Joe Flacco

    (all of the above SB winners)

    Andrew Luck

    (simply considered by everyone one of the top 3 greatest QB prospects of all time)

    Second Quadrant (no order):

    Matt Ryan

    Cam Newton

    Colin Kaepernick

    Robert Griffin

    Russell Wilson

    Matt Stafford

    Andy Dalton

    Matt Schaub

    Third Quadrant

    Jay Cutler

    Sam Bradford

    Phillip Rivers

    Carson Palmer

    Michael Vick\

    Tony Romo

    Alex Smith

    Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill

    Fourth Quadrant

    Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill

    Josh Freeman

    Blaine Gabbert

    Mark Sanchez

    Kevin Kolb

    Christian Ponder

    Jake Locker

    Matt Flynn

    Obviously, this is all subject to change as the season(s) go along.

    @the-gipper said:

    There are 32 teams in the NFL. 32 is easily divisible by 4 to make 8. There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL this year. I am going to divide those QBs into quadrants of 8 each in 4 tiers. So, here is my evaluation:

    Top Quadrant (no order within quadrant), the proven, plus one shining star:

    Peyton Manning

    Drew Brees

    Tom Brady

    Aaron Rodgers

    Eli Manning

    Ben Roethlisberger

    Joe Flacco

    (all of the above SB winners)

    Andrew Luck

    (simply considered by everyone one of the top 3 greatest QB prospects of all time)

    Second Quadrant (no order):

    Matt Ryan

    Cam Newton

    Colin Kaepernick

    Robert Griffin

    Russell Wilson

    Matt Stafford

    Andy Dalton

    Matt Schaub

    Third Quadrant

    Jay Cutler

    Sam Bradford

    Phillip Rivers

    Carson Palmer

    Michael Vick\

    Tony Romo

    Alex Smith

    Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill

    Fourth Quadrant

    Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill

    Josh Freeman

    Blaine Gabbert

    Mark Sanchez

    Kevin Kolb

    Christian Ponder

    Jake Locker

    Matt Flynn

    Obviously, this is all subject to change as the season(s) go along.

    I'm sliding Luck down and Matt Ryan up ... c'mon, you gotta have more than one decent season, great prospect or not.

    Second quandrant ... sliding Romo, Cutler and Rivers up ... Kaeper, Wilson and Dalton down ... again more accomplished guys versus potential

    Josh Freeman moves up over Tannehill and Weeden who both have a lot of proving to do

    Zombo

  • I agree with Zombo about moving Matt Ryan up and Luck down.

    Kaepernick and Wilson have only had one good year. Dalton has been on the rise every year, if he leads Cincinnati to a division title then I would move him ahead of Rivers.

  • @the-gipper said:

    There are 32 teams in the NFL. 32 is easily divisible by 4 to make 8. There are 32 starting QBs in the NFL this year. I am going to divide those QBs into quadrants of 8 each in 4 tiers. So, here is my evaluation:

    Top Quadrant (no order within quadrant), the proven, plus one shining star:

    Peyton Manning

    Drew Brees

    Tom Brady

    Aaron Rodgers

    Eli Manning

    Ben Roethlisberger

    Joe Flacco

    (all of the above SB winners)

    Andrew Luck

    (simply considered by everyone one of the top 3 greatest QB prospects of all time)

    Second Quadrant (no order):

    Matt Ryan

    Cam Newton

    Colin Kaepernick

    Robert Griffin

    Russell Wilson

    Matt Stafford

    Andy Dalton

    Matt Schaub

    Third Quadrant

    Jay Cutler

    Sam Bradford

    Phillip Rivers

    Carson Palmer

    Michael Vick\

    Tony Romo

    Alex Smith

    Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill

    Fourth Quadrant

    Brandon Weeden or Ryan Tannehill

    Josh Freeman

    Blaine Gabbert

    Mark Sanchez

    Kevin Kolb

    Christian Ponder

    Jake Locker

    Matt Flynn

    Obviously, this is all subject to change as the season(s) go along.

    I'm sliding Luck down and Matt Ryan up ... c'mon, you gotta have more than one decent season, great prospect or not.

    Second quandrant ... sliding Romo, Cutler and Rivers up ... Kaeper, Wilson and Dalton down ... again more accomplished guys versus potential

    Josh Freeman moves up over Tannehill and Weeden who both have a lot of proving to do

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I'm sliding Luck down and Matt Ryan up ... c'mon, you gotta have more than one decent season, great prospect or not.

    That is the way I had it originally, but then I thought if Luck is The Next Coming, which he may be, that I would rate him as such.

    Second quandrant ... sliding Romo, Cutler and Rivers up ... Kaeper, Wilson and Dalton down ... again more accomplished guys versus potential

    I again thought of this, but then I thought (speaking of sliding) that Romo and Rivers careers have been sliding downward, so I put them there accordingly. On Cutler....I see the talent....but then the head has to match, so I held him back.

    Josh Freeman moves up over Tannehill and Weeden who both have a lot of proving to do

    Agree The Tannehill and BW3 have a lot of proving , but, what the heck, Fran Tarkenton said Freeman was awful. So I didn't argue. Freeman has been sliding since a big first year. (and therein may lie a future tale of Wilson/Griffin etc.)

    Zombo

  • I agree with Zombo about moving Matt Ryan up and Luck down.

    Kaepernick and Wilson have only had one good year. Dalton has been on the rise every year, if he leads Cincinnati to a division title then I would move him ahead of Rivers.

    @sheepdog said:

    I agree with Zombo about moving Matt Ryan up and Luck down.

    Kaepernick and Wilson have only had one good year. Dalton has been on the rise every year, if he leads Cincinnati to a division title then I would move him ahead of Rivers.

    I already have him ahead or Rivers.

  • 1st and 4th tiers look fine, second and third tiers are almost changed for me. adding 4 newcomers to the 2nd tier is disgusting.

  • 1st and 4th tiers look fine, second and third tiers are almost changed for me. adding 4 newcomers to the 2nd tier is disgusting.

    @represent said:

    1st and 4th tiers look fine, second and third tiers are almost changed for me. adding 4 newcomers to the 2nd tier is disgusting.

    Understandable, but it was the career slides that the likes of Palmer, Rivers, Romo, Vick that caused me to make the assessment that I did.

  • Luck's numbers were only okay last year. He got a lot of breaks and had an unusual number of dropped interceptions (not to mention a lot that were caught). I think he's gonna be fantastic... but he wasn't actually fantastic last year. His "TQBR" did indicate that he steps up when it matters most, though. I wouldn't put him in that top tier, certainly not above two other rookies who did a lot more than he did (RG3 and Wilson).

    Worth noting: Alex Smith was the most accurate passer in the entire NFL last year when legit drops are figured in, completing 82.6% of his "non-dropped" passes. I guess the guy's never really gonna get respect even though he's put up numbers AND won games. Maybe if he does it with another team like the Chiefs.

    Weeden can't be placed anywhere but the bottom fourth until he plays real games and earns a higher rating. Same with Tannehill, even though his TQBR was much higher than Weeden's last year. Both guys have to earn it... and I think both are certainly capable of it. Both have serious talent.

  • Luck's numbers were only okay last year. He got a lot of breaks and had an unusual number of dropped interceptions (not to mention a lot that were caught). I think he's gonna be fantastic... but he wasn't actually fantastic last year. His "TQBR" did indicate that he steps up when it matters most, though. I wouldn't put him in that top tier, certainly not above two other rookies who did a lot more than he did (RG3 and Wilson).

    Worth noting: Alex Smith was the most accurate passer in the entire NFL last year when legit drops are figured in, completing 82.6% of his "non-dropped" passes. I guess the guy's never really gonna get respect even though he's put up numbers AND won games. Maybe if he does it with another team like the Chiefs.

    Weeden can't be placed anywhere but the bottom fourth until he plays real games and earns a higher rating. Same with Tannehill, even though his TQBR was much higher than Weeden's last year. Both guys have to earn it... and I think both are certainly capable of it. Both have serious talent.

    @shep said:

    Luck's numbers were only okay last year. He got a lot of breaks and had an unusual number of dropped interceptions (not to mention a lot that were caught). I think he's gonna be fantastic... but he wasn't actually fantastic last year. His "TQBR" did indicate that he steps up when it matters most, though. I wouldn't put him in that top tier, certainly not above two other rookies who did a lot more than he did (RG3 and Wilson).

    Worth noting: Alex Smith was the most accurate passer in the entire NFL last year when legit drops are figured in, completing 82.6% of his "non-dropped" passes. I guess the guy's never really gonna get respect even though he's put up numbers AND won games. Maybe if he does it with another team like the Chiefs.

    Weeden can't be placed anywhere but the bottom fourth until he plays real games and earns a higher rating. Same with Tannehill, even though his TQBR was much higher than Weeden's last year. Both guys have to earn it... and I think both are certainly capable of it. Both have serious talent.

    That is why I put them both on the bubble between 3d/4th tier. I think their talent is above the Locker/Ponder/Flynn etc. types. And yea, they are on that same bubble with Freeman