Skip to content

Browns Cuts

The Browns Board
116 35 5.7k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Hardesty on IR again simply means, to me, that we have seen the end of him.

    You can't cut an injured player. He's in the final year of his rookie contract and we just shelved him for the year ... he's gone.

    Zombo

    --Expect him to be released sometime during the year when he is deemed healthy

    Zombo said:

    You can't cut an injured player. He's in the final year of his rookie contract and we just shelved him for the year ... he's gone.

    Zombo

    --Expect him to be released sometime during the year when he is deemed healthy

    Interesting. What if a team just didnt designate him as "IR" and cut him? Would the union block that?

    Is a player still paid the same on IR?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Hardesty on IR again simply means, to me, that we have seen the end of him.

    You can't cut an injured player. He's in the final year of his rookie contract and we just shelved him for the year ... he's gone.

    Zombo

    --Expect him to be released sometime during the year when he is deemed healthy

    Zombo said:

    You can't cut an injured player. He's in the final year of his rookie contract and we just shelved him for the year ... he's gone.

    Zombo

    --Expect him to be released sometime during the year when he is deemed healthy

    Does that mean Ryan Miller is now deemed healthy? If so, then it appears to me that they must have been determined to cut him anyway....as he never really saw any game action in the preseason to evaluate him, did they?

  • Zombo said:

    You can't cut an injured player. He's in the final year of his rookie contract and we just shelved him for the year ... he's gone.

    Zombo

    --Expect him to be released sometime during the year when he is deemed healthy

    Interesting. What if a team just didnt designate him as "IR" and cut him? Would the union block that?

    Is a player still paid the same on IR?

    @cvcanedy said:

    Interesting. What if a team just didnt designate him as "IR" and cut him? Would the union block that?

    Is a player still paid the same on IR?

    Can I assume that a guy who is on IR must still: A. be paid, and B. have his salary count against the salary cap?

    Do they have to wait till the end of the season to release him? What if he recovers from his...what I thought was supposed to be minor surgery? Can they dump him then?

    I suspect he isn't making so much that they are not willing to go ahead and pay him just to not have any injury issue hassles. (but again, my question...how is he different from Miller)

  • Zombo said:

    You can't cut an injured player. He's in the final year of his rookie contract and we just shelved him for the year ... he's gone.

    Zombo

    --Expect him to be released sometime during the year when he is deemed healthy

    Interesting. What if a team just didnt designate him as "IR" and cut him? Would the union block that?

    Is a player still paid the same on IR?

    @cvcanedy said:

    Interesting. What if a team just didnt designate him as "IR" and cut him? Would the union block that?

    Is a player still paid the same on IR?

    Yes and Yes.

    Hardesty collects a check until he's healthy, then he will, in all likelihood, be cut.

    Zombo

  • As far as the running back situation goes, what gives me some solace is that RB seems to be a position where lesser known, late round/undrafted guys can play. Sure right now it doesn't look on paper, but Maysonnet could just be a shifty little runner.

  • @cvcanedy said:

    Interesting. What if a team just didnt designate him as "IR" and cut him? Would the union block that?

    Is a player still paid the same on IR?

    Can I assume that a guy who is on IR must still: A. be paid, and B. have his salary count against the salary cap?

    Do they have to wait till the end of the season to release him? What if he recovers from his...what I thought was supposed to be minor surgery? Can they dump him then?

    I suspect he isn't making so much that they are not willing to go ahead and pay him just to not have any injury issue hassles. (but again, my question...how is he different from Miller)

    @the-gipper said:

    Can I assume that a guy who is on IR must still: A. be paid, and B. have his salary count against the salary cap?

    Do they have to wait till the end of the season to release him? What if he recovers from his...what I thought was supposed to be minor surgery? Can they dump him then?

    I suspect he isn't making so much that they are not willing to go ahead and pay him just to not have any injury issue hassles. (but again, my question...how is he different from Miller)

    Miller is healthy that is why they cut him. If he feels he isn't healthy, he can complain to the union. Yes, you have to pay guys on IR, but you can also release them when they are healthy.

    Zombo

  • @sisky-fringo said:

    no worries, they are good w Tr3nt and Obby...both on the field together and spelling one another. both are capable of being 3 down backs...both have good size, both can block, both can catch, and both can run the ball productively. Obby at fb is not as telegraphed as having a pure FB either...his versatility leaves lots of room for wrinkles as well

    several times against the Colts i saw them both swing out from opposite sides of the backfield as secondary check down outlets...reminiscent of MartyBall when Mack/Byner were quality safety valves for Bernie. hope we see that formation return this year, i've always liked it in Cle, it had good success for years and years.

    A 16-game NFL season is long, with a lot of hits going on. I'm 100% confident in TRich and Ogby as starters, AND am about 90% confident in BJackson as a 3rd option, but just one injury to either of those three... even a short-term injury... and my confidence plummets...

    @thenew23 said:

    A 16-game NFL season is long, with a lot of hits going on. I'm 100% confident in TRich and Ogby as starters, AND am about 90% confident in BJackson as a 3rd option, but just one injury to either of those three... even a short-term injury... and my confidence plummets...

    i hear ya. what a difference a couple weeks can make. went from having arrogant depth all over to being razor thin at guard, rb, wr and cb.

    injuries are a legit concern moving forward.

  • Chud to rest most starters thursday, including BW and T Rich. Gordon will still play.

    Good move, no one gets injured. Would like BW to get more reps tho

  • I read that ... I also that the new punter is going to hold for kicks and kickoff, which I thought was interesting ... looks like they will go with the Graham - Schmidt ticket.

    Zombo

  • @thenew23 said:

    A 16-game NFL season is long, with a lot of hits going on. I'm 100% confident in TRich and Ogby as starters, AND am about 90% confident in BJackson as a 3rd option, but just one injury to either of those three... even a short-term injury... and my confidence plummets...

    i hear ya. what a difference a couple weeks can make. went from having arrogant depth all over to being razor thin at guard, rb, wr and cb.

    injuries are a legit concern moving forward.

    @sisky-fringo said:

    i hear ya. what a difference a couple weeks can make. went from having arrogant depth all over to being razor thin at guard, rb, wr and cb.

    injuries are a legit concern moving forward.

    How are we razor thin at Wr? Gordon, Little, Benjamin, Bess, Nelson, and Cooper. None are "hurt", with the exception of Nelson who is rehabbing from an old injury. Factor in Cameron, Davis and Barnidge who will, at some point, be flexed out and we're fine.

  • @sisky-fringo said:

    i hear ya. what a difference a couple weeks can make. went from having arrogant depth all over to being razor thin at guard, rb, wr and cb.

    injuries are a legit concern moving forward.

    How are we razor thin at Wr? Gordon, Little, Benjamin, Bess, Nelson, and Cooper. None are "hurt", with the exception of Nelson who is rehabbing from an old injury. Factor in Cameron, Davis and Barnidge who will, at some point, be flexed out and we're fine.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    How are we razor thin at Wr? Gordon, Little, Benjamin, Bess, Nelson, and Cooper. None are "hurt", with the exception of Nelson who is rehabbing from an old injury. Factor in Cameron, Davis and Barnidge who will, at some point, be flexed out and we're fine.

    Yea, if they were thin at those positions, then why did they just ditch a number of them?

  • @jafbf said:

    I see that this FO is divesting itself of the marginal Heckert/Holmgren guys with Miller and Marecic out. Marecic, sure. I wasn't sure Miller was that bad....more hurt than bad.

    But they certainly have whittled down that WR corps: Roberson/Norwood/Croom+Tannahill

    @the-gipper said:

    I see that this FO is divesting itself of the marginal Heckert/Holmgren guys with Miller and Marecic out. Marecic, sure. I wasn't sure Miller was that bad....more hurt than bad.

    But they certainly have whittled down that WR corps: Roberson/Norwood/Croom+Tannahill

    Looks like Tampa Bay picked up Norwood, not a bad move if he can stay healthy.

    Also, we cut Trevin Wade.

  • @the-gipper said:

    I see that this FO is divesting itself of the marginal Heckert/Holmgren guys with Miller and Marecic out. Marecic, sure. I wasn't sure Miller was that bad....more hurt than bad.

    But they certainly have whittled down that WR corps: Roberson/Norwood/Croom+Tannahill

    Looks like Tampa Bay picked up Norwood, not a bad move if he can stay healthy.

    Also, we cut Trevin Wade.

    @jafbf said:

    Looks like Tampa Bay picked up Norwood, not a bad move if he can stay healthy.

    Also, we cut Trevin Wade.

    Wade, really? Like I said, these guys want to ditch any later round Heckert selections. Like the CB we picked up? Is he really better than Wade....or is just one of "our guys". In there mind, perhaps, the new guy is better because they picked him, not necessarily because he is actually better.

  • I say, let them build "their" team. I'm sure that is what Jimmy told them.

    Z

  • @cvcanedy said:

    Interesting. What if a team just didnt designate him as "IR" and cut him? Would the union block that?

    Is a player still paid the same on IR?

    Yes and Yes.

    Hardesty collects a check until he's healthy, then he will, in all likelihood, be cut.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Yes and Yes.

    Hardesty collects a check until he's healthy, then he will, in all likelihood, be cut.

    Zombo

    until b. jackson goes down.

    talk about suck.

  • Oby is going to be a big part of this offense. Jackson is the third guy. Really, there aren't many carries after that ... We are talking about special teamers.

    Z

  • Richardson will carry the load. The more and more that he proves durable during game time and as throughout the game it will be harder and harder to get him to come out the game. He will be taking 90% of 1st through 3rd downs by mid-season.

    Smelley will be the FB as well. Obi will spell Richardson and Smelley after they've gotten their 150 yards per game. 🙂

  • Haden, Skrine, Owens, McFadden will make up a solid core of DBs.... who am I forgetting?

  • I dont post on here much, because people think I spam the site, but I can confirm both of these cuts

    I talked to both of them earlier. They were released 2 hours ago.

    http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/browns_release_preseason_hero_cordell_roberson/14377112

    @drocksthaparty said:

    I dont post on here much, because people think I spam the site, but I can confirm both of these cuts

    I talked to both of them earlier. They were released 2 hours ago.

    http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/browns_release_preseason_hero_cordell_roberson/14377112

    She spams the forum by linking her own website here instead of just telling us who "both" of them are that were cut.

    I'd advise all to not click on links such as the one provided, they could be unsafe.

  • I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Beanie with the injuries to our RBs. I also wouldn't mind Joe McKnight. Two very different style runners, but backs that have actually played in the league and somewhat produced when healthy. Not like either player would see many touches, but I think it could be worth a look.