Skip to content

Browns vs. Ravens

The Browns Board
82 32 3.6k
  • Why y'all are afraid of "zed" is beyond me...

  • Looking forward to seeing how Norv and Chud adjust the gameplan offensively this week. As some have stated Trent has to get more touches. No matter how you feel about the guy, he's our best offensive weapon going into Sunday. There's no excuse to not get the ball in his hands 25-30 times. Defensively, I hope Horton adjusts to pressing the corners we he sends pressure. Even the best blitz is ineffective if guys stay wide open because of a soft zone. I'm looking to see that change and obviously providing Skrine help (even though he's beyond terrible).

    All in all, I can't forecast a browns win but I don't see it being 'ugly'. Ravens will go up two TD's, we'll score one late but won't have another chance to tie it.

    Ravens: 24

    Browns: 17

  • @slowburn said:

    whats the early line?

    For some reason it's only 6.5

    @browns149 said:

    For some reason it's only 6.5

    Seems generous to me.. If I had some extra jingle I would grab that(6.5) with the shitbirds covering at home. Of course it will rise during the week. Raves have three days extra rest and a home crowd that will be going crazy with the world champs making their first appearance at home. it could get ugly.

  • @browns149 said:

    For some reason it's only 6.5

    Seems generous to me.. If I had some extra jingle I would grab that(6.5) with the shitbirds covering at home. Of course it will rise during the week. Raves have three days extra rest and a home crowd that will be going crazy with the world champs making their first appearance at home. it could get ugly.

    @slowburn said:

    Seems generous to me.. If I had some extra jingle it think I would grab that with the shitbirds covering at home. Of course it will rise during the week. Raves have three days extra rest and a home crowd that will be going crazy with the world champs making their first appearance at home. it could get ugly.

    I'd seriously LOVE for the Browns to walk in there and spoil their little party! I know that is maybe asking for a lot, but can't they find it in themselves to get geared up and destroy the Rats on their home opener?

    I'm not betting on it, but stranger things have happened.

  • @slowburn said:

    Seems generous to me.. If I had some extra jingle it think I would grab that with the shitbirds covering at home. Of course it will rise during the week. Raves have three days extra rest and a home crowd that will be going crazy with the world champs making their first appearance at home. it could get ugly.

    I'd seriously LOVE for the Browns to walk in there and spoil their little party! I know that is maybe asking for a lot, but can't they find it in themselves to get geared up and destroy the Rats on their home opener?

    I'm not betting on it, but stranger things have happened.

    @djdawg2010 said:

    I'm not betting on it, but stranger things have happened.

    Yea, like witnessing a QB performance that was one of the best of the past 44 years or so. I know a lot of you guys think the class of 83 featured some of the best QB's but I truly feel that we are so fortunate being able to watch Manning playing at a level he showed Thursday night. Factor in future HOF Brady with Brees and Rodgers and we have a group playing now that may go down as the greatest ever.

  • @djdawg2010 said:

    I'm not betting on it, but stranger things have happened.

    Yea, like witnessing a QB performance that was one of the best of the past 44 years or so. I know a lot of you guys think the class of 83 featured some of the best QB's but I truly feel that we are so fortunate being able to watch Manning playing at a level he showed Thursday night. Factor in future HOF Brady with Brees and Rodgers and we have a group playing now that may go down as the greatest ever.

    @slowburn said:

    Yea, like witnessing a QB performance that was one of the best of the past 44 years or so. I know a lot of you guys think the class of 83 featured some of the best QB's but I truly feel that we are so fortunate being able to watch Manning playing at a level he showed Thursday night. Factor in future HOF Brady with Brees and Rodgers and we have a group playing now that may go down as the greatest ever.

    No argument there, but that class of 83 wasn't too shabby either. I fell asleep at halftime for that game when it was 17-14 Ravens, and it was quite pleasing to wake up and see that Manning handed their asses to them! 🙂

  • @slowburn said:

    Yea, like witnessing a QB performance that was one of the best of the past 44 years or so. I know a lot of you guys think the class of 83 featured some of the best QB's but I truly feel that we are so fortunate being able to watch Manning playing at a level he showed Thursday night. Factor in future HOF Brady with Brees and Rodgers and we have a group playing now that may go down as the greatest ever.

    No argument there, but that class of 83 wasn't too shabby either. I fell asleep at halftime for that game when it was 17-14 Ravens, and it was quite pleasing to wake up and see that Manning handed their asses to them! 🙂

    @djdawg2010 said:

    No argument there, but that class of 83 wasn't too shabby either. I fell asleep at halftime for that game when it was 17-14 Ravens, and it was quite pleasing to wake up and see that Manning handed their asses to them! 🙂

    statistically the current tier 1 QB's (manning, Brady,Brees) have smoked the class of 83 (Elway,Marino, Kelly)

    my criteria for the analysis calculated the three best years for each quarterback in passing yards and passing TD's.

    1983 avg yards/season 4108 avg pass td/season 30

    Current avg yards/season 4945 avg pass td/season 41

    the current best QB's have passed for 20% more yards and over 35% more passing TD's per season than the studs of 83

  • They have a serious shortage of receivers right now. Don't have Pitta, Boldin, or Jones from last year. That's something. We were balls out against the run, so maybe the math plays out.

    But man... we gotta throw the football like a legit NFL team.

  • I can see clearly now. I see a Browns win over the stupid, ugly ratbirds ! "sigh"

  • I can see clearly now. I see a Browns win over the stupid, ugly ratbirds ! "sigh"

    @calfoxwc said:

    I can see clearly now. I see a Browns win over the stupid, ugly ratbirds ! "sigh"

    I see a scrappy, scrappy game, which ultimately comes down to which QB can move the chains better.

    *sigh*

  • @djdawg2010 said:

    No argument there, but that class of 83 wasn't too shabby either. I fell asleep at halftime for that game when it was 17-14 Ravens, and it was quite pleasing to wake up and see that Manning handed their asses to them! 🙂

    statistically the current tier 1 QB's (manning, Brady,Brees) have smoked the class of 83 (Elway,Marino, Kelly)

    my criteria for the analysis calculated the three best years for each quarterback in passing yards and passing TD's.

    1983 avg yards/season 4108 avg pass td/season 30

    Current avg yards/season 4945 avg pass td/season 41

    the current best QB's have passed for 20% more yards and over 35% more passing TD's per season than the studs of 83

    @slowburn said:

    statistically the current tier 1 QB's (manning, Brady,Brees) have smoked the class of 83 (Elway,Marino, Kelly)

    my criteria for the analysis calculated the three best years for each quarterback in passing yards and passing TD's.

    1983 avg yards/season 4108 avg pass td/season 30

    Current avg yards/season 4945 avg pass td/season 41

    the current best QB's have passed for 20% more yards and over 35% more passing TD's per season than the studs of 83

    You are comparing QBs drafted over a 5 year period to a single year's draft class. I mean, if you wanted to take a 5 year period of time around the 1983 draft class then you would have to include in that grouping the likes of Joe Montana, Phil Simms, Jim McMahon, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason and Bernie Kosar.

    And face it, the game has changed to allow for 20% more yards and TDs. In that era the run/pass ratio was probably about 50/50. What is it now? 70/30?

  • How many games a season did they play in 1983?

  • How many games a season did they play in 1983?

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How many games a season did they play in 1983?

    Uh, 16 same as now. The switched form 14 to 16 in 1978.

  • Win this week go 1-1 and 1-0 in the division the entire attitude will change again with Gordan coming back in week 3, and the Ravens at 0-2 Yes Please.

  • I'm hoping for the best but fear a 28 - 7 drubbing... 🙁

  • @slowburn said:

    statistically the current tier 1 QB's (manning, Brady,Brees) have smoked the class of 83 (Elway,Marino, Kelly)

    my criteria for the analysis calculated the three best years for each quarterback in passing yards and passing TD's.

    1983 avg yards/season 4108 avg pass td/season 30

    Current avg yards/season 4945 avg pass td/season 41

    the current best QB's have passed for 20% more yards and over 35% more passing TD's per season than the studs of 83

    You are comparing QBs drafted over a 5 year period to a single year's draft class. I mean, if you wanted to take a 5 year period of time around the 1983 draft class then you would have to include in that grouping the likes of Joe Montana, Phil Simms, Jim McMahon, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason and Bernie Kosar.

    And face it, the game has changed to allow for 20% more yards and TDs. In that era the run/pass ratio was probably about 50/50. What is it now? 70/30?

    @the-gipper said:



    You are comparing QBs drafted over a 5 year period to a single year's draft class. I mean, if you wanted to take a 5 year period of time around the 1983 draft class then you would have to include in that grouping the likes of Joe Montana, Phil Simms, Jim McMahon, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason and Bernie Kosar.
    And face it, the game has changed to allow for 20% more yards and TDs. In that era the run/pass ratio was probably about 50/50. What is it now? 70/30?


    What other criteria, then, would be more meaningful to compare? My assertion still stands, statistically. Current QB's are more proficient than the great QB's of 1983. I would be more than happy to include a larger sample of QB's from the 80's but, for reasons you state and others, I think there would still be a wide disparity, stats wise.
  • Even with their drop off in talent at WR/TE I still see Flacco picking SKRINE and OWENS apart. Rice will keep our D honest, and Skrine will get toasted/penalized as usual. Our best asset is virtually negated due to our starting the worst CB in the league. Owens is as bad at best it appears. Offensively We'll try to hold our own, but Cousins and Greco will get eaten alive ruining our rushing attack and hurrying our already sub par QB who doesnt need to be hurried to make a terrible pass. I'm hoping Gilkey gets some looks at OG, at least make it appear like your trying to get someone other that Cousins in at OG. Act like you care..

  • @the-gipper said:



    You are comparing QBs drafted over a 5 year period to a single year's draft class. I mean, if you wanted to take a 5 year period of time around the 1983 draft class then you would have to include in that grouping the likes of Joe Montana, Phil Simms, Jim McMahon, Randall Cunningham, Steve Young, Boomer Esiason and Bernie Kosar.
    And face it, the game has changed to allow for 20% more yards and TDs. In that era the run/pass ratio was probably about 50/50. What is it now? 70/30?


    What other criteria, then, would be more meaningful to compare? My assertion still stands, statistically. Current QB's are more proficient than the great QB's of 1983. I would be more than happy to include a larger sample of QB's from the 80's but, for reasons you state and others, I think there would still be a wide disparity, stats wise.

    @slowburn said:

    What other criteria, then, would be more meaningful to compare? My assertion still stands, statistically. Current QB's are more proficient than the great QB's of 1983. I would be more that happy to include a larger sample of QB's from the 80's but, for reasons you state and others, I think there would still be a wide disparity, stats wise.

    They may be, but if those QBs played today, under today's rules and today's systems they would perform as well as today's QBs. That is my simple point....that the divergence you point out would melt away.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    How many games a season did they play in 1983?

    Uh, 16 same as now. The switched form 14 to 16 in 1978.

    @the-gipper said:

    Uh, 16 same as now. The switched form 14 to 16 in 1978.

    Uh, okay.

  • Mingo hits cracko the third play of the game so hard he's scared to hold on to the ball for more than 2 seconds. Browns 23 Ravens 20