Skip to content

Sunday Football Overall Take

The Browns Board
27 14 998
  • @browns149 said:

    He might be the greatest Regular season QB of all-time, but he has not been very good in the Playoffs

    Peyton is 9-11 career in playoff games and SEVERAL of those games he had bad games with turnovers. I've said for years Peyton's legacy needs another super bowl ring for him to get the 'greatest of all time' tag. Hell, looking at playoff wings Flacco is markedly better. People get all pissy when I say it but Manning has only been mediocre in the crunch time throughout his career.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @jrb12711 said:

    Peyton is 9-11 career in playoff games and SEVERAL of those games he had bad games with turnovers. I've said for years Peyton's legacy needs another super bowl ring for him to get the 'greatest of all time' tag. Hell, looking at playoff wings Flacco is markedly better. People get all pissy when I say it but Manning has only been mediocre in the crunch time throughout his career.

    As far as "greatest of all time", statistically, Manning is still far behind Favre in most statistical categories: He is 11,000 yards behind, 1100 completions behind, 60 TDs behind. It will take him at least 2-3 years of prime production to pass those numbers.

    And right now, both Favre and P.Manning have one SB win and one SB loss.

    So, I am not prepared to say that P. Manning is either the greatest regular season QB of all time nor the greatest overall..

    The numbers don't support it. The Championships don't support it.

    I would not place him above the likes of Joe Montana with his 4 rings, or Brady with his 3 + 5 appearances.

    (If the other Manning brother had not pulled off a couple of fluky wins vs. Brady, is there any doubt if TB had 5 SB titles that he would be no doubt considered the greatest?)

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Peyton is 9-11 career in playoff games and SEVERAL of those games he had bad games with turnovers. I've said for years Peyton's legacy needs another super bowl ring for him to get the 'greatest of all time' tag. Hell, looking at playoff wings Flacco is markedly better. People get all pissy when I say it but Manning has only been mediocre in the crunch time throughout his career.

    As far as "greatest of all time", statistically, Manning is still far behind Favre in most statistical categories: He is 11,000 yards behind, 1100 completions behind, 60 TDs behind. It will take him at least 2-3 years of prime production to pass those numbers.

    And right now, both Favre and P.Manning have one SB win and one SB loss.

    So, I am not prepared to say that P. Manning is either the greatest regular season QB of all time nor the greatest overall..

    The numbers don't support it. The Championships don't support it.

    I would not place him above the likes of Joe Montana with his 4 rings, or Brady with his 3 + 5 appearances.

    (If the other Manning brother had not pulled off a couple of fluky wins vs. Brady, is there any doubt if TB had 5 SB titles that he would be no doubt considered the greatest?)

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @the-gipper said:

    As far as "greatest of all time", statistically, Manning is still far behind Favre in most statistical categories: He is 11,000 yards behind, 1100 completions behind, 60 TDs behind. It will take him at least 2-3 years of prime production to pass those numbers.

    And right now, both Favre and P.Manning have one SB win and one SB loss.

    So, I am not prepared to say that P. Manning is either the greatest regular season QB of all time nor the greatest overall..

    The numbers don't support it. The Championships don't support it.

    I would not place him above the likes of Joe Montana with his 4 rings, or Brady with his 3 + 5 appearances.

    (If the other Manning brother had not pulled off a couple of fluky wins vs. Brady, is there any doubt if TB had 5 SB titles that he would be no doubt considered the greatest?)

    I know Brett was around forever and a day. Do you have any comparisons in the number of games played? Or even in the same number of years. Just curious.

  • K Kingcob wrote on last edited by
    #23

    And how many Interceptions is Manning behind Favre?

    Favre played until he turned into dust and painkillers. I hope Manning retires before he struggles with the same pain and injuries Favre had to deal with in his later years.

  • @the-gipper said:

    As far as "greatest of all time", statistically, Manning is still far behind Favre in most statistical categories: He is 11,000 yards behind, 1100 completions behind, 60 TDs behind. It will take him at least 2-3 years of prime production to pass those numbers.

    And right now, both Favre and P.Manning have one SB win and one SB loss.

    So, I am not prepared to say that P. Manning is either the greatest regular season QB of all time nor the greatest overall..

    The numbers don't support it. The Championships don't support it.

    I would not place him above the likes of Joe Montana with his 4 rings, or Brady with his 3 + 5 appearances.

    (If the other Manning brother had not pulled off a couple of fluky wins vs. Brady, is there any doubt if TB had 5 SB titles that he would be no doubt considered the greatest?)

    I know Brett was around forever and a day. Do you have any comparisons in the number of games played? Or even in the same number of years. Just curious.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    I know Brett was around forever and a day. Do you have any comparisons in the number of games played? Or even in the same number of years. Just curious.

    Uh, sure:

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FavrBr00.htm

    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MannPe00.htm

  • @jrb12711 said:

    Peyton is 9-11 career in playoff games and SEVERAL of those games he had bad games with turnovers. I've said for years Peyton's legacy needs another super bowl ring for him to get the 'greatest of all time' tag. Hell, looking at playoff wings Flacco is markedly better. People get all pissy when I say it but Manning has only been mediocre in the crunch time throughout his career.

    As far as "greatest of all time", statistically, Manning is still far behind Favre in most statistical categories: He is 11,000 yards behind, 1100 completions behind, 60 TDs behind. It will take him at least 2-3 years of prime production to pass those numbers.

    And right now, both Favre and P.Manning have one SB win and one SB loss.

    So, I am not prepared to say that P. Manning is either the greatest regular season QB of all time nor the greatest overall..

    The numbers don't support it. The Championships don't support it.

    I would not place him above the likes of Joe Montana with his 4 rings, or Brady with his 3 + 5 appearances.

    (If the other Manning brother had not pulled off a couple of fluky wins vs. Brady, is there any doubt if TB had 5 SB titles that he would be no doubt considered the greatest?)

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @the-gipper said:

    As far as "greatest of all time", statistically, Manning is still far behind Favre in most statistical categories: He is 11,000 yards behind, 1100 completions behind, 60 TDs behind. It will take him at least 2-3 years of prime production to pass those numbers.

    And right now, both Favre and P.Manning have one SB win and one SB loss.

    So, I am not prepared to say that P. Manning is either the greatest regular season QB of all time nor the greatest overall..

    The numbers don't support it. The Championships don't support it.

    I would not place him above the likes of Joe Montana with his 4 rings, or Brady with his 3 + 5 appearances.

    (If the other Manning brother had not pulled off a couple of fluky wins vs. Brady, is there any doubt if TB had 5 SB titles that he would be no doubt considered the greatest?)

    I don't disagree with anything you say there. I more meant right now with his playoff record and lone super bowl win there's several guys I'd place above him (that you've named above). I just don't get how people seem to look past the guys shaky postseason play like it's no big deal. To get into that greatest of all time conversation there's no way one can have a losing playoff record.

  • @the-gipper said:

    As far as "greatest of all time", statistically, Manning is still far behind Favre in most statistical categories: He is 11,000 yards behind, 1100 completions behind, 60 TDs behind. It will take him at least 2-3 years of prime production to pass those numbers.

    And right now, both Favre and P.Manning have one SB win and one SB loss.

    So, I am not prepared to say that P. Manning is either the greatest regular season QB of all time nor the greatest overall..

    The numbers don't support it. The Championships don't support it.

    I would not place him above the likes of Joe Montana with his 4 rings, or Brady with his 3 + 5 appearances.

    (If the other Manning brother had not pulled off a couple of fluky wins vs. Brady, is there any doubt if TB had 5 SB titles that he would be no doubt considered the greatest?)

    I don't disagree with anything you say there. I more meant right now with his playoff record and lone super bowl win there's several guys I'd place above him (that you've named above). I just don't get how people seem to look past the guys shaky postseason play like it's no big deal. To get into that greatest of all time conversation there's no way one can have a losing playoff record.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @jrb12711 said:

    I don't disagree with anything you say there. I more meant right now with his playoff record and lone super bowl win there's several guys I'd place above him (that you've named above). I just don't get how people seem to look past the guys shaky postseason play like it's no big deal. To get into that greatest of all time conversation there's no way one can have a losing playoff record.

    Yea, its not like you can compare him to Otto Graham or Bart Starr even in that regard.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by Browns149
    #27

    Mannings post season record will keep him from being the greatest of all time. At least for now. 9-11 in the playoffs is not good enough to be considered the GOAT. Plus he's been in the playoffs 12 times and has lost the first game 8 times. He has won playoff games in only 4 different seasons