Skip to content

What do you think of Clowney's actions lately?

The Browns Board
86 21 3.1k
  • @jrb12711 said:

    Those are all good points man. I don't disagree with any of that, but it still should be the player's decision to do what he thinks is best for him. It would also be on the NFL teams to know they are taking a risk drafting a guy early to possibly land a superstar. At the end of the day the rule is to make the NCAA money, at least IMO. If they cared about the 'development' of the student they'd have rules across all sports. Why can Missy Franklin win gold medals in the Olympics (which is equal to the pros of swwiming) yet be in college right now and Clowney can't leave early? It's all money unfortunately which really hurts these seemingly NFL ready young guys.

    Isn't it something that was agreed between NCAA and NFL, or at least NFLPA? You have to weigh the freedom of the player to make his own decisions against the fact that a large amount of them will be stereotypical 20 year old idiots that just can't wait to cash in on the money and absolutely none of that subset will want to stay in college a year longer than necessary before landing a big contract and buying a new car/home/whatever with shiny wheels. Yes, a house with shiny wheels.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @gftchris said:

    Isn't it something that was agreed between NCAA and NFL, or at least NFLPA? You have to weigh the freedom of the player to make his own decisions against the fact that a large amount of them will be stereotypical 20 year old idiots that just can't wait to cash in on the money and absolutely none of that subset will want to stay in college a year longer than necessary before landing a big contract and buying a new car/home/whatever with shiny wheels. Yes, a house with shiny wheels.

    You are right about that, but I think anyway it's naive to say the NCAA doesn't have money in mind in that process. I do understand what you're saying, but 20 year olds are functioning adults. No one would be taken out of high school and maybe a couple would leave after one year. If a kid leaves early and flames out as a result that's his and the organization's dumbass. IDK, it's just crazy to me that someone who is capable of making so much money based on his talents can't do so because 'he's not ready'.

  • Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #15

    @d-bone said:

    Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.

    Um, this is all you need to see about Clowney- at least as good as Suh, and probably better. Not an isolated play, either. Yeah, I'm concerned about the "taking the year off" just so he doesn't get hurt- lousy attitude, but smart. He'll go no lower than #2 overall and may be a #1 if Jacksonville decides they'd rather go D instead of taking Bridgewater.

    PS don't know why the link won't work- if someone can fix it, I'd be appreciative.

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #16

    I think its absolutely bullshit and SC should kick him off the team so he can prepare for the combine. I'm sure there are guys behind him itching to get in and the other 74 or whatever players are trying to win an SEC championship. This guy has shit on the whole program putting himself above the team. If I was a GM I'd think twice about picking this guy because he had problems with taking plays off and people questioned hos conditioning. That means he's not working hard in practice or in games. I want a player who loves football and someone who puts his team above himself. This guy just wants a paycheck. What happens when he's in a contract year? My bet is he pulls a Hillis.

  • koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

  • Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @koalabazooka said:

    Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

    I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.

  • @koalabazooka said:

    Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

    I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.

    koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @gftchris said:

    I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.

    Maybe... assuming Jacksonville's front office has even a single ounce of savviness left.

  • @koalabazooka said:

    Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

    I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gftchris said:

    I smell a blockbuster trade coming on. Jacksonville then moves back up to #2 or #3 to get Bridgewater or Boyd or someone.

    Well, certainly possible- with the Steelers- Giants now #2 on the suck-o-meter, & neither in desperate need of a qb - they could well try to move into the #1 slot. OTOH they may know the Jags are taking a qb anyway, and wait for Clowney to fall to them.

  • Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #21

    @d-bone said:

    To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I think its absolutely bullshit and SC should kick him off the team so he can prepare for the combine.

    I want a player who loves football and someone who puts his team above himself. This guy just wants a paycheck.

    What happens when he's in a contract year? My bet is he pulls a Hillis.

    Yup and yup... I think the old ball coach is handling it beautifully.

    Why just in a contract year? Given the rookie salary limitations in the most recent CBA why should he put out until he is able to fetch what he (thinks he) is worth after his 4th year? If he's not dropping like a stone on fledgling draft boards, I'd be shocked.

  • @d-bone said:

    To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I think its absolutely bullshit and SC should kick him off the team so he can prepare for the combine.

    I want a player who loves football and someone who puts his team above himself. This guy just wants a paycheck.

    What happens when he's in a contract year? My bet is he pulls a Hillis.

    Yup and yup... I think the old ball coach is handling it beautifully.

    Why just in a contract year? Given the rookie salary limitations in the most recent CBA why should he put out until he is able to fetch what he (thinks he) is worth after his 4th year? If he's not dropping like a stone on fledgling draft boards, I'd be shocked.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @tour2ma said:

    Yup and yup... I think the old ball coach is handling it beautifully.

    Why just in a contract year? Given the rookie salary limitations in the most recent CBA why should he put out until he is able to fetch what he (thinks he) is worth after his 4th year? If he's not dropping like a stone on fledgling draft boards, I'd be shocked.

    I could be wrong but I doubt he is. There's wayyy too much hype on the guy to fall out of the top 5 barring a serious injury. McShay said that multiple scouts told him that if today he stopped playing college football and just prepared for the NFL draft, he'd be number 1 on their boards.

  • Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @koalabazooka said:

    Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

    we may have to move up there just so that Pgh doesn't get him. I know we need a qb but what good will that do if we have to see that guy twice a year? Our nice shiny new qb will not make it through those games. God he'd be an epic hybrid in our 3-4

  • @d-bone said:

    Being a west coast UCLA fan I don't know a whole lot about him, other than what I read. To me it shows a real character issue, one every bit as bad as drugs or crime would be a character issue. Give me a guy with a motor that never turns off, before a guy with just "god given talent" any day.

    Um, this is all you need to see about Clowney- at least as good as Suh, and probably better. Not an isolated play, either. Yeah, I'm concerned about the "taking the year off" just so he doesn't get hurt- lousy attitude, but smart. He'll go no lower than #2 overall and may be a #1 if Jacksonville decides they'd rather go D instead of taking Bridgewater.

    PS don't know why the link won't work- if someone can fix it, I'd be appreciative.

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by DieHardBrownsFan
    #24

    @hoorta said:

    Um, this is all you need to see about Clowney- at least as good as Suh, and probably better. Not an isolated play, either. Yeah, I'm concerned about the "taking the year off" just so he doesn't get hurt- lousy attitude, but smart. He'll go no lower than #2 overall and may be a #1 if Jacksonville decides they'd rather go D instead of taking Bridgewater.

    PS don't know why the link won't work- if someone can fix it, I'd be appreciative.

    I didn't see Suh take a year off before he was drafted. Guess that makes Clowney a pussy? Give me a break. This guy should be playing.

  • @koalabazooka said:

    Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

    we may have to move up there just so that Pgh doesn't get him. I know we need a qb but what good will that do if we have to see that guy twice a year? Our nice shiny new qb will not make it through those games. God he'd be an epic hybrid in our 3-4

    koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @clevfan4life said:

    we may have to move up there just so that Pgh doesn't get him. I know we need a qb but what good will that do if we have to see that guy twice a year? Our nice shiny new qb will not make it through those games. God he'd be an epic hybrid in our 3-4

    Don't be crazy, CLE's D is loaded. They need to focus on the offense this upcoming draft, with a QB 1st and foremost.

  • @hoorta said:

    Um, this is all you need to see about Clowney- at least as good as Suh, and probably better. Not an isolated play, either. Yeah, I'm concerned about the "taking the year off" just so he doesn't get hurt- lousy attitude, but smart. He'll go no lower than #2 overall and may be a #1 if Jacksonville decides they'd rather go D instead of taking Bridgewater.

    PS don't know why the link won't work- if someone can fix it, I'd be appreciative.

    I didn't see Suh take a year off before he was drafted. Guess that makes Clowney a pussy? Give me a break. This guy should be playing.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I didn't see Suh take a year off before he was drafted. Guess that makes Clowney a pussy? Give me a break. This guy should be playing.

    Good point....I remember watching him tearing up the OL of whoever they played in the Holiday Bowl that year.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I didn't see Suh take a year off before he was drafted. Guess that makes Clowney a pussy? Give me a break. This guy should be playing.

    Good point....I remember watching him tearing up the OL of whoever they played in the Holiday Bowl that year.

    koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @mark-o said:

    Good point....I remember watching him tearing up the OL of whoever they played in the Holiday Bowl that year.

    At least Clowney doesn't kick people in the balls...

  • PoeticGP PoeticG wrote on last edited by
    #28

    The Browns will use all their picks in this draft and some from next to secure the QB they desire AND Clowny. Then JC will officially change his name to Browny. This was the secret message behind bringing back Brownie.... feel me?

  • Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #29

    If he's afraid to be injured, he's playing the wrong game. I would have to question his pride.

    When will he take time off in the NFL?

    Players PLAY!

    Mike

  • SuomiS Suomi wrote on last edited by
    #30

    Putting on my Clowney hat, why doesn't Teddy Twatwater sit out the rest of the year? As the projected #1 pick he's risking more scratch than Clowney.

    Canton Mike said it best - Players PLAY! Apparently there's a reason Jadevon sports the word "clown" in his last name...

  • VaporTrailV VaporTrail wrote on last edited by
    #31

    Who gives a shit? I don't blame him. The NCAA is full of shit because a bunch of people are making money at the risk of injury to the players. What do the players get in return? College tuition? Fucking laughable. He'd have been a top 3 pick last year, so no matter what he does this year, he has nowhere to go but down. If he quits his team, I still see him as a top 5 pick.

  • @koalabazooka said:

    Just putting it out there: he is not going to be the #1 pick. JAC desperately needs a QB.

    we may have to move up there just so that Pgh doesn't get him. I know we need a qb but what good will that do if we have to see that guy twice a year? Our nice shiny new qb will not make it through those games. God he'd be an epic hybrid in our 3-4

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #32

    @clevfan4life said:

    we may have to move up there just so that Pgh doesn't get him. I know we need a qb but what good will that do if we have to see that guy twice a year? Our nice shiny new qb will not make it through those games. God he'd be an epic hybrid in our 3-4

    I can see the Steelers "Play like Clowns for Clowney". IMHO this guy is the second coming of Mean Joe Greene- and then some. I happen to agree with some of the Pro Level Draftnicks who put Clowney #1 on their draft boards. Bridgewater isn't on the level of John Elway or Peyton Manning- but Clowney is on the level of any DL HOFer you care to name- Like Bruce Smith, Reggie White good. Mario Williams went #1, and IMHO Clowney is better.

    @koalabazooka said:

    Don't be crazy, CLE's D is loaded. They need to focus on the offense this upcoming draft, with a QB 1st and foremost.

    Unless Weeden totally plays like s**t, I don't see the Browns having enough ammunition to move up to #2 to take Clowney. But we could package a player like Sheard in the trade. Really - put Clowney on the Browns D, add a decent #2 CB, and you'd have the equivalent of any SB winning D you'd care to name.

    @canton-mike said:

    If he's afraid to be injured, he's playing the wrong game. I would have to question his pride.

    When will he take time off in the NFL?

    Players PLAY!

    Mike

    Well it hasn't been unheard of for guys who are worried about such stuff to call up Lloyds of London and take out insurance policies for the injury risk. Incidentally, the latest on ESPN has Clowney in full damage control- "I'm a team guy, I was misunderstood".

  • @clevfan4life said:

    we may have to move up there just so that Pgh doesn't get him. I know we need a qb but what good will that do if we have to see that guy twice a year? Our nice shiny new qb will not make it through those games. God he'd be an epic hybrid in our 3-4

    I can see the Steelers "Play like Clowns for Clowney". IMHO this guy is the second coming of Mean Joe Greene- and then some. I happen to agree with some of the Pro Level Draftnicks who put Clowney #1 on their draft boards. Bridgewater isn't on the level of John Elway or Peyton Manning- but Clowney is on the level of any DL HOFer you care to name- Like Bruce Smith, Reggie White good. Mario Williams went #1, and IMHO Clowney is better.

    @koalabazooka said:

    Don't be crazy, CLE's D is loaded. They need to focus on the offense this upcoming draft, with a QB 1st and foremost.

    Unless Weeden totally plays like s**t, I don't see the Browns having enough ammunition to move up to #2 to take Clowney. But we could package a player like Sheard in the trade. Really - put Clowney on the Browns D, add a decent #2 CB, and you'd have the equivalent of any SB winning D you'd care to name.

    @canton-mike said:

    If he's afraid to be injured, he's playing the wrong game. I would have to question his pride.

    When will he take time off in the NFL?

    Players PLAY!

    Mike

    Well it hasn't been unheard of for guys who are worried about such stuff to call up Lloyds of London and take out insurance policies for the injury risk. Incidentally, the latest on ESPN has Clowney in full damage control- "I'm a team guy, I was misunderstood".

    koalabazookaK koalabazooka wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @hoorta said:

    Unless Weeden totally plays like s**t, I don't see the Browns having enough ammunition to move up to #2 to take Clowney. But we could package a player like Sheard in the trade. Really - put Clowney on the Browns D, add a decent #2 CB, and you'd have the equivalent of any SB winning D you'd care to name.

    CLE doesn't need defensive help, they need offensive help! The 2000 Ravens wouldn't work in the offensive juggernaut the NFL has become.