Skip to content

Hoyer vs. Campbell

The Browns Board
82 32 3.2k
  • man this thread is like an insult to injury. literally.

    one guy is out, the other guy until 2 weeks ago was the third stringer.

    if tom brady goes down and mallet comes in and plays lights out do you think there is some dumb schmuck on the pats board with a poll thread asking this question?

    just fuckin stoopid.

  • man this thread is like an insult to injury. literally.

    one guy is out, the other guy until 2 weeks ago was the third stringer.

    if tom brady goes down and mallet comes in and plays lights out do you think there is some dumb schmuck on the pats board with a poll thread asking this question?

    just fuckin stoopid.

    @miktoxic said:

    man this thread is like an insult to injury. literally.

    one guy is out, the other guy until 2 weeks ago was the third stringer.

    if tom brady goes down and mallet comes in and plays lights out do you think there is some dumb schmuck on the pats board with a poll thread asking this question?

    just fuckin stoopid.

    You don't make sense. And it's a hypothetical question...

    Also, I'm not a dumb shmuck, no need to take your internal hatred for yourself out on me.

    Edit: so I think I deciphered you're inept drunken post... Are you seriously comparing Brian Hoyer to Tom Brady?

    just fuckin stoopid.

  • Is this really a question? Campbell doesn't have the IT factor that Hoyer does. He's also 3 years older than the Ohio native.

  • Campbell 45-71 63.3% 556 yards 5 TD 0 INT Rating 111.0

    Hoyer 55-92 59.7% 590 yards 5 TD 3 INT Rating 86.2

    The Chiefs have the 3rd best passing defense and 9th ranked team defense while the Ravens have the 15th best passing defense and12th ranked team defense.

    The Bengals passing defense ranks in at 11th while their overall defense is 6th, while the Vikings come in at 29th passing and 29th overall.

    Campbell is performing better against better defenses.

    Honestly, I might rather have Campbell.

    What this is showing is that Chorv's offense needs only a smart, experienced QB at the helm who understands the game. Not a raw, athletic freak that we'd have to trade up to get.

    Neither Campbell nor Hoyer is overly athletic. They aren't physical specimens. They are smart, they are decisive, and they are mobile enough to evade pressure and extend a play. They don't run 4.4's, they don't have howitzers attached to their shoulders, they aren't 6'5, 230 LB workout warriors. They are QB's. They take the snap, find the open receiver, and deliver the ball on time and with precision. That's all we need.

    We can easily get away with taking a QB either in the late first round, second round, or third round and letting them develop.

    We have a team that is finally talented enough to compete and it coincides with having a coaching staff smart enough to know how to use them.

    Barring injuries, this is a team capable of making the playoffs. This is a team that played good (not great, but good) football today.

    We can ride with Hoyer or Campbell for a couple of years while we groom our Aaron Rodgers. And we can still be competitive in the meantime. We can still have our eyes on the Lombardi. It doesn't have to be one or the other. We can compete for the championship without our future franchise QB at the helm.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Campbell 45-71 63.3% 556 yards 5 TD 0 INT Rating 111.0

    Hoyer 55-92 59.7% 590 yards 5 TD 3 INT Rating 86.2

    The Chiefs have the 3rd best passing defense and 9th ranked team defense while the Ravens have the 15th best passing defense and12th ranked team defense.

    The Bengals passing defense ranks in at 11th while their overall defense is 6th, while the Vikings come in at 29th passing and 29th overall.

    Campbell is performing better against better defenses.

    Honestly, I might rather have Campbell.

    What this is showing is that Chorv's offense needs only a smart, experienced QB at the helm who understands the game. Not a raw, athletic freak that we'd have to trade up to get.

    Neither Campbell nor Hoyer is overly athletic. They aren't physical specimens. They are smart, they are decisive, and they are mobile enough to evade pressure and extend a play. They don't run 4.4's, they don't have howitzers attached to their shoulders, they aren't 6'5, 230 LB workout warriors. They are QB's. They take the snap, find the open receiver, and deliver the ball on time and with precision. That's all we need.

    We can easily get away with taking a QB either in the late first round, second round, or third round and letting them develop.

    We have a team that is finally talented enough to compete and it coincides with having a coaching staff smart enough to know how to use them.

    Barring injuries, this is a team capable of making the playoffs. This is a team that played good (not great, but good) football today.

    We can ride with Hoyer or Campbell for a couple of years while we groom our Aaron Rodgers. And we can still be competitive in the meantime. We can still have our eyes on the Lombardi. It doesn't have to be one or the other. We can compete for the championship without our future franchise QB at the helm.

    I think I would go with Campbell. He has shown a lot of talent. I about shit myself when he went down and Weeden came back in, felt like I got hit by a car! Luckily, he came back or we would have lost without a doubt. Hoyer had moments of greatness, and then made some outright shitty interceptions. Hoyer would be my backup.

  • Is this really a question? Campbell doesn't have the IT factor that Hoyer does. He's also 3 years older than the Ohio native.

    @koalabazooka said:

    Is this really a question? Campbell doesn't have the IT factor that Hoyer does. He's also 3 years older than the Ohio native.

    What it factor? Throwing three interceptions to the 29th ranked defense?

  • Campbell is much more polished

  • Neither know how or when to slide, but Campbell has shown that the shovel pass can be used for good, and not just evil, so he's my favorite this morning.

    Just wondering how Turner and Chud watched all three all Summer long and said "Ya, the redhead ... he's way better than the other two."

    Zombo

  • @richiswhere said:

    Neither

    OK.

    Because we are 4-1 when they start, and the only loss was to a 9-0 team.

    And we beat Cincy with one and Balt with the other.

    But, OK, they suck.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    OK.

    Because we are 4-1 when they start, and the only loss was to a 9-0 team.

    And we beat Cincy with one and Balt with the other.

    But, OK, they suck.

    Zombo

    Zombo I realize you are being sarcastic but 80 percent of the threads here talk about the new quarterback that the front office is going to draft.

    So apparently they are thinking neither as well.

    (whether or not I agree with that)

    WSS

  • Zombo said:

    OK.

    Because we are 4-1 when they start, and the only loss was to a 9-0 team.

    And we beat Cincy with one and Balt with the other.

    But, OK, they suck.

    Zombo

    Zombo I realize you are being sarcastic but 80 percent of the threads here talk about the new quarterback that the front office is going to draft.

    So apparently they are thinking neither as well.

    (whether or not I agree with that)

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Zombo I realize you are being sarcastic but 80 percent of the threads here talk about the new quarterback that the front office is going to draft.

    So apparently they are thinking neither as well.

    (whether or not I agree with that)

    WSS

    Well, the reality is that this administration is going to draft a young QB and groom him.

    But I'll worry about that after the season, I don't get into the speculation until I see where we stand after the season.

    But I'm very happy that both Hoyer, and so far Campbell, stepped in and stepped up, and showed they can move this offense and provide leadership and win games.

    By the way, both guys were brought in by this administration, so I don't know why they would be in a hurry to get rid of either of them.

    It appears they were right about their ability.

    The only guy that has let them down was the guy the past admin drafted.

    We are in a good situation with two veterans who can win games and two first round draft picks.

    Hoyer will be back, he's under contract, not sure if Camps signed a one-year or two-year deal ... anyone know?

    Zombo

  • @westside-steve said:

    Zombo I realize you are being sarcastic but 80 percent of the threads here talk about the new quarterback that the front office is going to draft.

    So apparently they are thinking neither as well.

    (whether or not I agree with that)

    WSS

    Well, the reality is that this administration is going to draft a young QB and groom him.

    But I'll worry about that after the season, I don't get into the speculation until I see where we stand after the season.

    But I'm very happy that both Hoyer, and so far Campbell, stepped in and stepped up, and showed they can move this offense and provide leadership and win games.

    By the way, both guys were brought in by this administration, so I don't know why they would be in a hurry to get rid of either of them.

    It appears they were right about their ability.

    The only guy that has let them down was the guy the past admin drafted.

    We are in a good situation with two veterans who can win games and two first round draft picks.

    Hoyer will be back, he's under contract, not sure if Camps signed a one-year or two-year deal ... anyone know?

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Well, the reality is that this administration is going to draft a young QB and groom him.

    But I'll worry about that after the season, I don't get into the speculation until I see where we stand after the season.

    But I'm very happy that both Hoyer, and so far Campbell, stepped in and stepped up, and showed they can move this offense and provide leadership and win games.

    By the way, both guys were brought in by this administration, so I don't know why they would be in a hurry to get rid of either of them.

    It appears they were right about their ability.

    The only guy that has let them down was the guy the past admin drafted.

    We are in a good situation with two veterans who can win games and two first round draft picks.

    Hoyer will be back, he's under contract, not sure if Camps signed a one-year or two-year deal ... anyone know?

    Zombo

    Looked it up, Campbell signed a two year contract too ... good move again by these guys.

    So both Campbell and Hoyer are under contract for next year, we can bring along a rookie the old school way and he can sit, especially if we are winning.

    Zombo

  • I'll take Campbell all day... More experienced and makes better decisions with the football. How many INTs has he thrown??? That's right... 0.

    Campbell has done everything we've needed to win... #1 protect the football.

    When you look at the two head to head, Campbell pretty much wins in every area except he's not from Cleveland. Think about it...1st round talent, who's never gotten a full chance to shine. 4 different OCs in Washington, and breaking his collar bone after a 4-2 start in Oakland, getting signed to backup Cutler, then getting signed to backup Weeden... This guy is hungry and talented, and he probably has 2 or 3 more good years in him.

    Hoyer... just not sure. Too small a sample size...

  • And by the way... I'm actually shocked I'm saying that^^ b/c I had no interest in watching Campbell play this year when I heard we signed him. I was glad we went to Hoyer when BW got hurt, and was very skeptical when we went to Campbell 2 weeks ago... but man... he looks good...

  • Not to metion Campbell is making more receivers relevant. Little has become a beast since Campbell has taken over. Barnage has a TD for god sakes. Hoyer will make a great backup for this team but Campbell is the man going forward. Next year too.

  • Campbell has had better games against better teams than Hoyer. Oh yeah and he has thrown ZERO picks

  • Neither know how or when to slide, but Campbell has shown that the shovel pass can be used for good, and not just evil, so he's my favorite this morning.

    Just wondering how Turner and Chud watched all three all Summer long and said "Ya, the redhead ... he's way better than the other two."

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    Neither know how or when to slide, but Campbell has shown that the shovel pass can be used for good, and not just evil, so he's my favorite this morning.

    Just wondering how Turner and Chud watched all three all Summer long and said "Ya, the redhead ... he's way better than the other two."

    Zombo

    After having watched all three QB's in the Chud/Turner Offense things actually make a lot of sense to me now.

    Weeden they didn't know a lot about (not their guy), but he has a heck of a arm and looked pretty good in Pre-Season, so they really needed to see what he was about and if he was worth developing.

    Sadly, for all his physical talents, Weeden just doesn't seem to be making any progress.

    I said in another thread that I think they played Weeden enough to silence any future calls for him to come into the game if one of the other QB's struggled for a game.

    I also think they pretty much killed any uproar from fans if they trade/cut him.

    I believe I understand why they jumped Hoyer over Campbell earlier as well.

    Hoyer has a bit quicker release, seems to have the "It" factor, and sparks the Team, but on top of that he's the youngest guy on the Roster so has a greater upside (this is also why I voted for him).

    Campbell is good, better than I expected, and I have no problem with him being our QB.

    The fact that he's older is his biggest detraction, so I understand why they went with him last.

    It was good to see Campbell making adjustments at the line and actually scanning the field instead of locking onto one Receiver yesterday (Hoyer did this too).

    Really, it's a difficult choice between Hoyer and Campbell, they're both competent QB's - something we've lacked for years.

  • The touchdown pass to Bess on 4th down with pressure in his face was brilliant. Great catch too

  • The touchdown pass to Bess on 4th down with pressure in his face was brilliant. Great catch too

    @clevelandwantsplayoffs said:

    The touchdown pass to Bess on 4th down with pressure in his face was brilliant. Great catch too

    I was more impressed with the 4th and 1 play in the 4th quarter more. If Weeden is in there, it's a sack and we probably lose because of the field position we would have given Baltimore. But then again, if Weeden is in there in that situation, we probably punt.

  • both plays were very impressive. Campbell's ability to extend the play and give the receiver a chance is clutch

  • 16-2?

    Campbell played about as good a football game as you can ask today.

    I still remember Hoyer's unforced interceptions against the Vikings and think ... hmmm.

    Z

    Zombo said:

    I still remember Hoyer's unforced interceptions against the Vikings and think ... hmmm.

    I remember him not accounting for the LBs and not doing it again... but I'm just a glass half full kinda guy.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    You have to expect a bit of homerism on this board, Adoug. Of course the guys will want as Cleveland born guy when the margin of difference is so razor thin.

    Me, I Either way, you can't go wrong. I love both guys and would relish either of them being our day 1 starters next season. It's not a bad predicament to be in.

    Homerism, shmomerism...

    For a starter, I just like the guy who brings energy over the guy who looks like he needs to be checked for a pulse.

    But, agree, it is a good choice to have...

    Zombo said:

    Neither know how or when to slide...

    Mostly the how... That slo-mo "slide" Jason unveiled was laughable.

    How hard could it be for Chud to get Terry Francona on the phone? Or Tito for that matter...

  • Of course as much as I liked the little bit of Hoyer we saw remember that not only Belichick but also the Steelers and Cardinals didn't want him.

    WSS