Skip to content

Hoyer vs. Campbell

The Browns Board
82 32 3.2k
  • Honestly I do think it is splitting hairs. Honestly I think they would both have done equally as well if both got to start the entire season. I attribute the fact that Hoyer's stats are worse to the fact that he started his 2nd and 3rd NFL game while Campbell has started too many to count.

    It honestly comes down to age for me. Would you had rather seen the 27 year old who you don't know much about start for the season or the journeyman veteran where you mostly know what you are going to get (and I don't say that as a slight since I think Campbell has performed well for most of his career).

    Now the real question is who do you start next season, Campbell, Hoyer, or incoming rookie? Hopefully the answer next season is actually the best performer in training camp and not the one who you don't know anything about just to see what you got, aka Weeden.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I remember him not accounting for the LBs and not doing it again... but I'm just a glass half full kinda guy.

    Homerism, shmomerism...

    For a starter, I just like the guy who brings energy over the guy who looks like he needs to be checked for a pulse.

    But, agree, it is a good choice to have...

    Mostly the how... That slo-mo "slide" Jason unveiled was laughable.

    How hard could it be for Chud to get Terry Francona on the phone? Or Tito for that matter...

    I don't care if our QB has no pulse as long as he doesn't throw interceptions.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't care if our QB has no pulse as long as he doesn't throw interceptions.

    2-0 QB with 3 INTs vs. 1-1 QB w/ 0 INTs... Hmmmmmm...

    @shep said:

    Let's talk about football instead of each other. That's really shitty.

    Here, here...

    And Jason had a couple very strong early years. His YPA is up in two starts for us, but sample size is small as yet.

  • Campbell never got a very fair shake IMO.

    Never had an oline that gave him as much time as ours does, didn't have any real play making receivers that drew coverage to free other guys, etc.

    He played great in Oakland for 6 games, however.

    He doesn't flail under presser and looks to multiple receiving options on each play (not automatically checking down like he was known for in the past).

    As far as hoyer or Campbell, I think both deserve a shot at starting, if Campbell keeps up the performance.

    Playing against cincy on the road will be his biggest game yet.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I don't care if our QB has no pulse as long as he doesn't throw interceptions.

    2-0 QB with 3 INTs vs. 1-1 QB w/ 0 INTs... Hmmmmmm...

    @shep said:

    Let's talk about football instead of each other. That's really shitty.

    Here, here...

    And Jason had a couple very strong early years. His YPA is up in two starts for us, but sample size is small as yet.

    @tour2ma said:

    2-0 QB with 3 INTs vs. 1-1 QB w/ 0 INTs... Hmmmmmm...

    If you blame that loss on Campbell, you're crazy.

  • "I may be crazy, but I ain't breathin' hard."

  • After seeing how they both played against a common opponent, any who picked Campbell want to change their mind?

  • After seeing how they both played against a common opponent, any who picked Campbell want to change their mind?

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    After seeing how they both played against a common opponent, any who picked Campbell want to change their mind?

    No, because even with that game, Campbell still has a higher QB rating than Hoyer in games they've started.

  • Campbell had a bad game. Hoyer's next game (if not injured) could have been a bad game.

  • After seeing how they both played against a common opponent, any who picked Campbell want to change their mind?

    @pumpkin-eater said:

    After seeing how they both played against a common opponent, any who picked Campbell want to change their mind?

    No takers yet?

    As easy (and tempting) as it would be to ressurect my "Campbell is shot" argument, he's shown enough to lay that to rest. Plus, as I just posted in another thread, I saw no evidence that he was simply not seeing open receivers all afternoon. The receivers, and the scheme we were running, did not get the job done.

    But what I will raise again is the spark that Hoyer brings to the Offense. Campbell seemed detached yesterday. Cool under fire is one thing... but damn near catatonic??? That's no way to lead a team.

    The halftime conversation in the Tavern II centered on how many Monster Energies they were feeding him.

  • I'll bite, Tour, and change my mind... although I didn't actually vote because I didn't have a strong opinion either way yet and wanted to see more Campbell before deciding.

    I give Campbell a little slack because he admitted after the game that he was "protecting himself" a little and the ribs weren't healed, as he'd claimed during the week (right thing to say). But he looked like Bad Jason, the Charlie Checkdown guy who misses throws downfield a lot.

    I'd definitely lean into Hoyer, though. Interesting to read that no fewer than three HC candidates brought up Hoyer when asked what they'd do at the QB position. What I would do, and what the Browns will do, is get their guy near the top of the draft and pray for Hoyer's health.

  • If there was any doubt that the Browns were going to draft a QB in the first round, I think that was removed yesterday.

    I, too, am giving Campbell slack for yesterday because of the ribs and because Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer know a thing or two about football.

    The Bengals secondary played well and took our wide receivers out of the game, and their pass rush was relentless.

    But Campbell just didn't seem "awake" in the first half, and it was one of those games that, before you figured things out, it was too late.

    Again ... bad weather, bad ribs, and good coaching scheme by Bungles, so I'm not going to jump on JC's shit this week ... but ... bleh.

    Zombo

  • I'll bite, Tour, and change my mind... although I didn't actually vote because I didn't have a strong opinion either way yet and wanted to see more Campbell before deciding.

    I give Campbell a little slack because he admitted after the game that he was "protecting himself" a little and the ribs weren't healed, as he'd claimed during the week (right thing to say). But he looked like Bad Jason, the Charlie Checkdown guy who misses throws downfield a lot.

    I'd definitely lean into Hoyer, though. Interesting to read that no fewer than three HC candidates brought up Hoyer when asked what they'd do at the QB position. What I would do, and what the Browns will do, is get their guy near the top of the draft and pray for Hoyer's health.

    @shep said:

    I'd definitely lean into Hoyer, though. Interesting to read that no fewer than three HC candidates brought up Hoyer when asked what they'd do at the QB position. What I would do, and what the Browns will do, is get their guy near the top of the draft and pray for Hoyer's health.

    Agree, as long as they DON'T trade up shipping a bunch of draft picks to do so. We still need help in other areas, like O-line & I'm not sold on TJ Ward as a good Safety...he gets lost in pass coverage and doesn't tackle well at all.

  • If there was any doubt that the Browns were going to draft a QB in the first round, I think that was removed yesterday.

    I, too, am giving Campbell slack for yesterday because of the ribs and because Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer know a thing or two about football.

    The Bengals secondary played well and took our wide receivers out of the game, and their pass rush was relentless.

    But Campbell just didn't seem "awake" in the first half, and it was one of those games that, before you figured things out, it was too late.

    Again ... bad weather, bad ribs, and good coaching scheme by Bungles, so I'm not going to jump on JC's shit this week ... but ... bleh.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    If there was any doubt that the Browns were going to draft a QB in the first round, I think that was removed yesterday.

    I, too, am giving Campbell slack for yesterday because of the ribs and because Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer know a thing or two about football.

    The Bengals secondary played well and took our wide receivers out of the game, and their pass rush was relentless.

    But Campbell just didn't seem "awake" in the first half, and it was one of those games that, before you figured things out, it was too late.

    Again ... bad weather, bad ribs, and good coaching scheme by Bungles, so I'm not going to jump on JC's shit this week ... but ... bleh.

    Zombo

    You forgot a couple of "bads": bad luck....for all the turnovers and blocked punts......or is that: bad special teams coaching or bad execution, and bad decision making/execution by Campbell to get picked off so much.

  • It was just a bad game, from every aspect besides the defense.

  • QB is the main reason the Browns accumulated all those picks, guys. We have 10... and we won't be trading them all to move up! But that's why we have them. Not because we wanna trade up to get a guard. Let's be real here.

    Again, we'll obviously be doing other things, but we clearly have the draft picks to move up and get the guy we want. Pretty sure we'll also add a WR and RB and probably a RG.

  • But If they want one of the top two the probably won't get him with the two first. Understand?

    The rest of the pack probably aren't going that hi anyway.

    And yes somebody from the rest of the pack will probably turn out to be a pretty good player. We just don't know who that may be.

    WSS

  • Hey, Steve! The only guy I think is out of reach is Bridgewater... and I don't think that #1 overall will even be in play, frankly. I think Jacksonville will probably own it and will clearly want Teddy Football. I don't believe Tampa is going to draft a QB (Glennon is progressing really well)... but it looks more and more like Minnesota will.

    I would guess (and it's really a guess) the Vikings would take Mariota, assuming he declares. The next group is Manziel, Carr, and Hundley... and I agree, it's a matter of taste, philosophy, and how the Browns want to proceed at the position.

    At this point, we don't know where the Browns are going to draft. We could rally or the wheels could really come off if we can't get something going again on offense. We could easily draft in the top 10... and jump to 5 or 6 by using that other first round pick only. I think that probably puts Mariota in play along with the other three.

    That leaves the Browns 8 draft picks I think they'd love to turn into 6 (moving them up). It's not tough to imagine the Browns with a 2nd, three thirds, and two fourths, for instance. That's a lot of picks for value at RG, RB, WR, and an ILB to develop. Not to mention what we do in free agency, where I expect we'll be active.

  • I'm predicting Bridgewater to be the bust of the draft, not an actual bust, but a mediocre player (compared to his almost certain first pick) on his best season. I don't know which of those other guys you mentioned are worth two first-round draft choices. By the way, if this is the real Shep, when is Henry coming out in audio?

    WSS

  • If I was Bridgewater I'd hate to hear you say "teddy football" because its just a copycat nickname ripped off of a peer. What a ridiculous thing.

  • If I was Bridgewater I'd hate to hear you say "teddy football" because its just a copycat nickname ripped off of a peer. What a ridiculous thing.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    If I was Bridgewater I'd hate to hear you say "teddy football" because its just a copycat nickname ripped off of a peer. What a ridiculous thing.

    How about "That Simon and Garfunkel Guy". You know Teddy BridgeovertroubledWater.