Skip to content

All you former Weeden supporters need to apologize

The Browns Board
36 18 1.4k
  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #26

    This FO has been a bit hit and miss on bringing in players to be honest.

    Bess - Miss

    Kruger - I'm calling it a miss

    D Bryant - Hit

    Mingo - too early

    Groves - injury riddled hit (when he plays our rotation is much better and we tend to get more sacks)

    McFadden - way too early, but hasn't done much good yet

    Slaughter - miss, thus far

    Gilkey - promising

    A Bryant - hit

    McGahee - miss - though I'm not sure what else we could have done

    Hoyer - hit

    Campbell - hit

    Greco's new, 5 year contract - not looking great so far

    Dion Lewis - too early, but promising

  • I agree, basically this whole forum including the Mods were all WEeden supporters. All my posts get deleted. Unreal.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #27

    @rooster-dick said:

    I agree, basically this whole forum including the Mods were all WEeden supporters. All my posts get deleted. Unreal.

    For the same reason we're Browns fans- that is unless you want to see a first round pick flop. I was of the "show me" mode. I've never deleted any of your posts. But keep on being a jerk, we can arrange that.

    @rooster-dick said:

    And you're telling me you wouldn't want Colt McCoy on this team? Please, we would be an easy playoff team with him at the helm. You guys rip people apart for not going along with your Weeden dick riding escapade.

    McCoy might possibly be an upgrade over Tanney, definitely over Weeden, but not Campbell. His ship sailed, and I'm not regretting it.

    @mark-o said:

    The majority opinion was that who knew how good he could be after last year and Shurmurs outdated offense. Let's see what he can do this year in an offense that seemed to be tailor made for Weeden to succeed. We found out that it was tailor made for him to suck at even higher levels of suckiness than he displayed last year which is hard to believe since he sucked pretty bad last year as well.

    Nostradamus is blowing his horn he just knew Wee-Done was gonna suck from the get-go. He was only slightly ahead of the curve.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #28

    i was a big mccoy supporter for the longest time, only because under mangini and with a running game the team played hard and looked very young and hungry and rob ryan defense WAS pretty good.

    then the holmgren/shurmur under the table deal. holmgren basically drafted mccoy and when he saw that he wasn't all that lied to the kid's face and drafted weeden. mccoy's skillset just wasn't there for a downfield attacking style of offense and his height diminished his skills even further from not being able to see over the line. sure he could scramble but he ain't no russell wilson.

    it was time to part ways when holmgren ran for the hills with his pot 'o gold, never apologizing for anything.

    mccoy might have had a better record than weeden at this point only if he threw 15 yd. slants and outs and gordon ran for 50 yds a catch. but dude, the guy is gone. there's nothing anyone can do about it.

    weeden just plain sucks with his decision making and his total lack of pocket presence and not being able to throw the ball with touch. just nothing but fastballs.

    this draft will be huge.

  • This FO has been a bit hit and miss on bringing in players to be honest.

    Bess - Miss

    Kruger - I'm calling it a miss

    D Bryant - Hit

    Mingo - too early

    Groves - injury riddled hit (when he plays our rotation is much better and we tend to get more sacks)

    McFadden - way too early, but hasn't done much good yet

    Slaughter - miss, thus far

    Gilkey - promising

    A Bryant - hit

    McGahee - miss - though I'm not sure what else we could have done

    Hoyer - hit

    Campbell - hit

    Greco's new, 5 year contract - not looking great so far

    Dion Lewis - too early, but promising

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @gftchris said:

    This FO has been a bit hit and miss on bringing in players to be honest.

    Bess - Miss was brought in to be a possession receiver- Developed some dropitis, but what are you looking for in a #3 WR?

    Kruger - I'm calling it a miss expensive, but does not suck

    D Bryant - Hit

    Mingo - too early

    Groves - injury riddled hit (when he plays our rotation is much better and we tend to get more sacks)

    McFadden - way too early, but hasn't done much good yet

    Slaughter - miss, thus far

    Gilkey - promising

    A Bryant - hit

    McGahee - miss - though I'm not sure what else we could have done was brought in as a one year rent-a-player. Stats as good or better than Richardson's. You were expecting LeSean McCoy numbers?

    Hoyer - hit

    Campbell - hit

    Greco's new, 5 year contract - not looking great so far

    Dion Lewis - too early, but promising

  • @gftchris said:

    This FO has been a bit hit and miss on bringing in players to be honest.

    Bess - Miss was brought in to be a possession receiver- Developed some dropitis, but what are you looking for in a #3 WR?

    Kruger - I'm calling it a miss expensive, but does not suck

    D Bryant - Hit

    Mingo - too early

    Groves - injury riddled hit (when he plays our rotation is much better and we tend to get more sacks)

    McFadden - way too early, but hasn't done much good yet

    Slaughter - miss, thus far

    Gilkey - promising

    A Bryant - hit

    McGahee - miss - though I'm not sure what else we could have done was brought in as a one year rent-a-player. Stats as good or better than Richardson's. You were expecting LeSean McCoy numbers?

    Hoyer - hit

    Campbell - hit

    Greco's new, 5 year contract - not looking great so far

    Dion Lewis - too early, but promising

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @hoorta said:

    @gftchris said:

    This FO has been a bit hit and miss on bringing in players to be honest.

    Bess - Miss was brought in to be a possession receiver- Developed some dropitis, but what are you looking for in a #3 WR?

    Kruger - I'm calling it a miss expensive, but does not suck

    McGahee - miss - though I'm not sure what else we could have done was brought in as a one year rent-a-player. Stats as good or better than Richardson's. You were expecting LeSean McCoy numbers?

    Call Bess a miss because of the dropitis - for a possession receiver, it's the worst possible thing. Plus, he seems to have been promoted to #2 receiver, under the radar. 28ypg not great for a number 2 or 3.

    Kruger doesn't suck, but we need more than that from a major offseason acquisition.

    McGahee - it's difficult to see what else we could have done, but I'm sure we could have got 35 ypg, 2.8 ypc from any of the backs we have had available this year - Ogbonnaya, Rainey, Whittaker, or whoever.

  • Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #31
    Bess - Miss was brought in to be a possession receiver- Developed some dropitis, but what are you looking for in a #3 WR?

    Catching the football? Besides, he's officially the #2 receiver ... although they are both pretty much worthless, except for the one game where Campbell got them both involved.

    Zombo

  • B Buck The Frowns wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Weeden is not horrible, he is just a middling type of QB. I never understood why he was worth a first round pick, and was mystified by that decision. He is only a year and a half younger than Roethlisberger, and you can put an upper limit on a player like that, only notable exception that I can think of being Roger Staubach. He was destined to only develop to a certain level.

    Why they did not trade that pick for multiple lower rounders I do not know. Weeden surely would have been there later.

  • Weeden is not horrible, he is just a middling type of QB. I never understood why he was worth a first round pick, and was mystified by that decision. He is only a year and a half younger than Roethlisberger, and you can put an upper limit on a player like that, only notable exception that I can think of being Roger Staubach. He was destined to only develop to a certain level.

    Why they did not trade that pick for multiple lower rounders I do not know. Weeden surely would have been there later.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    Weeden is not horrible, he is just a middling type of QB. I never understood why he was worth a first round pick, and was mystified by that decision. He is only a year and a half younger than Roethlisberger, and you can put an upper limit on a player like that, only notable exception that I can think of being Roger Staubach. He was destined to only develop to a certain level.

    Why they did not trade that pick for multiple lower rounders I do not know. Weeden surely would have been there later.

    If we're going to repick that draft, you take Luke Kuechly with the 22nd pick.

    Middling QB? Middle of what? Not a middling starter for sure. A middling backup? Somewhere in the middle of the 90+ qbs in the league? Even that might be a stretch.

  • Weeden is not horrible, he is just a middling type of QB. I never understood why he was worth a first round pick, and was mystified by that decision. He is only a year and a half younger than Roethlisberger, and you can put an upper limit on a player like that, only notable exception that I can think of being Roger Staubach. He was destined to only develop to a certain level.

    Why they did not trade that pick for multiple lower rounders I do not know. Weeden surely would have been there later.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    Weeden is not horrible, he is just a middling type of QB. I never understood why he was worth a first round pick, and was mystified by that decision. He is only a year and a half younger than Roethlisberger, and you can put an upper limit on a player like that, only notable exception that I can think of being Roger Staubach. He was destined to only develop to a certain level.

    Why they did not trade that pick for multiple lower rounders I do not know. Weeden surely would have been there later.

    Of course that is all hindsight. What Holmgren/Heckert wanted was a taller/stronger/stronger armed QB than they had in McCoy.

    Well, they DID get that. Weeden is much taller and his arm is much stronger. He has great arm strength. Arm strength isn't his problem. Brain strength is his problem. If Arm strength was all that mattered we would have had one of the most stable QB situations in the NFL the last 6-7 years because Derek Anderson would still be here as our starting QB.

    I mean, Derek Anderson is right now just 30 years old....an age where he should be in the prime of his career.....if his career had held the arc that he established in 2007.

    But DA and Weeden, besides being the same age (DA born June 1983, BW Oct. 1983) seemed to have come out of the same womb when it comes to QB intellect.

  • @buck-the-frowns said:

    Weeden is not horrible, he is just a middling type of QB. I never understood why he was worth a first round pick, and was mystified by that decision. He is only a year and a half younger than Roethlisberger, and you can put an upper limit on a player like that, only notable exception that I can think of being Roger Staubach. He was destined to only develop to a certain level.

    Why they did not trade that pick for multiple lower rounders I do not know. Weeden surely would have been there later.

    If we're going to repick that draft, you take Luke Kuechly with the 22nd pick.

    Middling QB? Middle of what? Not a middling starter for sure. A middling backup? Somewhere in the middle of the 90+ qbs in the league? Even that might be a stretch.

    B Buck The Frowns wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @gftchris said:

    If we're going to repick that draft, you take Luke Kuechly with the 22nd pick.

    Middling QB? Middle of what? Not a middling starter for sure. A middling backup? Somewhere in the middle of the 90+ qbs in the league? Even that might be a stretch.

    I rechecked the QB ratings, and you are right, he is lower than I thought. But what has not been answered is, why on earth did they pick him? A first round draft choice is a valuable commodity. And I felt at the time that Weeden equivalents are around on the waiver list all the time, so why draft one? Every team has draft busts, and every team also has overachievers who come from Podunk State, but this pick just made no sense from the get go.
  • @gftchris said:

    If we're going to repick that draft, you take Luke Kuechly with the 22nd pick.

    Middling QB? Middle of what? Not a middling starter for sure. A middling backup? Somewhere in the middle of the 90+ qbs in the league? Even that might be a stretch.

    I rechecked the QB ratings, and you are right, he is lower than I thought. But what has not been answered is, why on earth did they pick him? A first round draft choice is a valuable commodity. And I felt at the time that Weeden equivalents are around on the waiver list all the time, so why draft one? Every team has draft busts, and every team also has overachievers who come from Podunk State, but this pick just made no sense from the get go.
    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #36

    @buck-the-frowns said:

    I rechecked the QB ratings, and you are right, he is lower than I thought. But what has not been answered is, why on earth did they pick him? A first round draft choice is a valuable commodity. And I felt at the time that Weeden equivalents are around on the waiver list all the time, so why draft one? Every team has draft busts, and every team also has overachievers who come from Podunk State, but this pick just made no sense from the get go.

    He's averaging only 50% completion rate, (and don't blame that all on Bess or Little- he's wildly inaccurate) 9\9 TD-INT ratio and a qbr of 70. most importantly, hasn't really won a game yet this year. That screams backup at best. He's had almost 2 seasons to show what he's got- and it isn't enough.

    Weeden- and Richardson for that matter- were panic picks by H&H. Both were major reaches. Win now or bust- well, they busted big time. What they thought they saw in Brandon was a mature guy who could step right in and light up the league. They saw college tapes of that cannon arm tossing rainbows to a wide open Blackmon. What they didn't count on were his major flaws- panics under pressure- How many underhand bloopers has he tossed so far? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I count 4. Let's add in those strip sacks that have killed drives and games. Until he got into the Big Boy League, his other major failing wasn't apparent- between his ears- can't process the speed of the pro game adequately.

    The guy is anti-clutch, take it to the bank he's gone after this year. He may possibly hang around the league a few years as a backup- mainly because of that cannon arm- but honestly, Colt McCoy has better credentials as a backup than Wee-Done.