Skip to content

What if the FO doesn't see a franchise qb in this draft?

The Browns Board
83 28 3.0k
  • A Adoug319 wrote on last edited by
    #1

    IMO, I don't see a franchise qb in this draft. The best qb seems to be Derek Carr, but we will see. Other than that, what is there? I bet bridgewater goes back to school, he doesn't look as ready as everyone thought.

    So, we're kind of in a tough position. Does the FO try to rush and get a qb in this draft (ala Holmgren getting Weeden) or do we wait until the 2015 draft, which seems like a much better qb class.

    If we don't get a qb, were in a tough situation and we'd be putting all our chips in on Hoyer, and who would our backup be? But qb is our Achilles heel, we can be so good with a competent qb..

  • Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #2

    I think we should take a good long look at Mallett....seriously. maybe give em like a 2nd and 4th for him and we could draft another guy late.

  • SuomiS Suomi wrote on last edited by
    #3

    I love college players that stay for all four years, but to be honest Bridgewater would be a dunce if he stayed for his senior year. Many teams probably have him pegged as the top quarterback in this draft, and next year he'd be - at best - the third-ranked QB behind Winston and Mariota.

    I like the Browns drafting a QB in the 1st round and letting him sit, learn, and develop under Brian Hoyer. Hoyer is a huge upgrade over Weeden and Campbell, and the Browns should experience good success with him at the helm. In the 2+ games this year with Hoyer under center the offense actually looked and performed like a legitimate attacking NFL offense - something I haven't seen from the Browns since 2007.

    Dream scenario: draft Sammy Watkins with the first 1st round pick, then trade up using the Browns' second 1st round pick and select the QB of their choice (Carr?). RB, OL, LB in 3rd/4th... tasty.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #4

    I don't think this years QBs are that impressive. What viable FA QBs are available next year? I think our FO will build the offense to a point where you can plug and play any QB (minus Weeden) and they will do well this off season. Draft A QB in 2015

    .

  • I love college players that stay for all four years, but to be honest Bridgewater would be a dunce if he stayed for his senior year. Many teams probably have him pegged as the top quarterback in this draft, and next year he'd be - at best - the third-ranked QB behind Winston and Mariota.

    I like the Browns drafting a QB in the 1st round and letting him sit, learn, and develop under Brian Hoyer. Hoyer is a huge upgrade over Weeden and Campbell, and the Browns should experience good success with him at the helm. In the 2+ games this year with Hoyer under center the offense actually looked and performed like a legitimate attacking NFL offense - something I haven't seen from the Browns since 2007.

    Dream scenario: draft Sammy Watkins with the first 1st round pick, then trade up using the Browns' second 1st round pick and select the QB of their choice (Carr?). RB, OL, LB in 3rd/4th... tasty.

    LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #5

    @suomi said:

    I love college players that stay for all four years, but to be honest Bridgewater would be a dunce if he stayed for his senior year. Many teams probably have him pegged as the top quarterback in this draft, and next year he'd be - at best - the third-ranked QB behind Winston and Mariota.

    I like the Browns drafting a QB in the 1st round and letting him sit, learn, and develop under Brian Hoyer. Hoyer is a huge upgrade over Weeden and Campbell, and the Browns should experience good success with him at the helm. In the 2+ games this year with Hoyer under center the offense actually looked and performed like a legitimate attacking NFL offense - something I haven't seen from the Browns since 2007.

    Dream scenario: draft Sammy Watkins with the first 1st round pick, then trade up using the Browns' second 1st round pick and select the QB of their choice (Carr?). RB, OL, LB in 3rd/4th... tasty.

    how many QB's are staying for their 4 years this year? There have been a few. Next years QB class is better? I will not cry if we don't draft a QB with our (2) number ones.

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #6

    I'd take Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub for a couple years while we develop a guy from this draft

  • I'd take Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub for a couple years while we develop a guy from this draft

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #7

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    I'd take blahblah or Matt Schaub for a couple years while we develop a guy from this draft

    I hope you meant someone else.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #8

    We need a top ILB with that pick from the Colts more than a WR2 who catches 3 balls a game at best.

    We need Carr/Hundley with that pick at the top of the first. It will be high because we won't win another game.

    Hoyer can start the first few games until our QB is ready to go.. throwing the new guy to the wolves isn't working out well for the Jets.

  • I'd take Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub for a couple years while we develop a guy from this draft

    M MDDawg wrote on last edited by MDDawg
    #9

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    I'd take Jay Cutler or Matt Schaub for a couple years while we develop a guy from this draft

    I wouldn't take either. Jay Cutler is overrated, he's on his second team and hasn't done squat. Even Grossman got them to the Superbowl. Schaub is a turnover machine and was benched for an undrafted rookie, nuff said.

  • C CLEVELandMILIDH wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

  • Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    I'd venture to say we have 2 quarterbacks on our roster better than schaub, I think cutler is closer to average than good too.

  • Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @clevelandmilidh said:

    Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    Agreed. I would have to see it before I believed either could be worse than Weeden
  • @clevelandmilidh said:

    Both are ten times better than anything we've had in recent memory.......sign me up for mediocre

    I'd venture to say we have 2 quarterbacks on our roster better than schaub, I think cutler is closer to average than good too.

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @bbedward said:

    I'd venture to say we have 2 quarterbacks on our roster better than schaub, I think cutler is closer to average than good too.

    You think way too highly of weed/camp
  • @bbedward said:

    I'd venture to say we have 2 quarterbacks on our roster better than schaub, I think cutler is closer to average than good too.

    You think way too highly of weed/camp
    Flyin JF Flyin J wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @comeonman said:

    You think way too highly of weed/camp

    He was probably referring to Hoyer/Campbell
  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #15

    Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    WSS

  • Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    WSS

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #16

    @westside-steve said:

    Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    WSS

    well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

    for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

    mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #17

    If we get Mallet by some sort of Lombardi magic, do you guys still want to draft a QB? If that happens F no. we need to solidify our depth chart and our starters of the future.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Bilgewater would be a moron to stay in school and risk a knee injury that would cost him literally millions of dollars.

    WSS

    well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

    for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

    mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @miktoxic said:

    well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

    for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

    mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

    If Clowney or his agent choose to stay in college for another year, yes I think they were morons too.

    I think if you are sure to be picked in the top three or four spots it would be foolish to risk career ending injury.

    Maybe is major is pre med and he plans to be a doctor so the NFL really has nothing to offer him. But I kind of doubt it.

    As far as Ryan Mallett goes, isn't he Bills backup? If so what do you suppose the coach would want in return for jeopardizing the future of his team? If in fact Ryan now what is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?

    You do remember when everyone was excited to trade for Matt Schaub right?

    WSS

  • @miktoxic said:

    well then you have to call clowney and his agent morons for doing the same this year. even though he powdered-puffed his play down.

    for once i agee with xxxbuckeye fan. trade for mallet. the dude is good. and let him and hoyer battle it out in training camp.

    mallet is like brady or rodgers....a star waiting to start but will only get the chance on his team until the golden boy goes down like couch did for five years.

    If Clowney or his agent choose to stay in college for another year, yes I think they were morons too.

    I think if you are sure to be picked in the top three or four spots it would be foolish to risk career ending injury.

    Maybe is major is pre med and he plans to be a doctor so the NFL really has nothing to offer him. But I kind of doubt it.

    As far as Ryan Mallett goes, isn't he Bills backup? If so what do you suppose the coach would want in return for jeopardizing the future of his team? If in fact Ryan now what is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?

    You do remember when everyone was excited to trade for Matt Schaub right?

    WSS

    LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @westside-steve said:

    If Clowney or his agent choose to stay in college for another year, yes I think they were morons too.

    I think if you are sure to be picked in the top three or four spots it would be foolish to risk career ending injury.

    Maybe is major is pre med and he plans to be a doctor so the NFL really has nothing to offer him. But I kind of doubt it.

    As far as Ryan Mallett goes, isn't he Bills backup? If so what do you suppose the coach would want in return for jeopardizing the future of his team? If in fact Ryan now what is Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers?

    You do remember when everyone was excited to trade for Matt Schaub right?

    WSS

    Matt Schaub...... lol I remember that. Texans have just fell apart this year. They entered this year looking like playoff contenders.

  • I think we should take a good long look at Mallett....seriously. maybe give em like a 2nd and 4th for him and we could draft another guy late.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by Tim Couch Pulls Out
    #20

    XxDaBuckeyexX said:

    I think we should take a good long look at Mallett....seriously. maybe give em like a 2nd and 4th for him and we could draft another guy late.

    We have Mallet already in Weeden.

    In terms of physicality, arm strength and football IQ, they're the same player. They're probably also on the same level in decision making and comfort in the pocket, which is awful on our part because Weeden has been playing for two seasons while Mallet hasn't.