Skip to content

How we should attack our needs next year.

The Browns Board
24 12 950
  • As for FA, I don't get the kicker part unless Cundiff is free after the season. I think he has been every bit of solid. I don't care what he does the rest of the season unless he simply falls off the charts, he has been a solid replacement for Dawson.

    FA is where you address team needs. It's all about needs. We have needs, so we better start filling some of them. Under the cap, schmap. How about spending the money allowed to try to build a better team in the here and now because the here and now sucks ass.

    @ballpeen said:

    As for FA, I don't get the kicker part unless Cundiff is free after the season. I think he has been every bit of solid. I don't care what he does the rest of the season unless he simply falls off the charts, he has been a solid replacement for Dawson.

    FA is where you address team needs. It's all about needs. We have needs, so we better start filling some of them. Under the cap, schmap. How about spending the money allowed to try to build a better team in the here and now because the here and now sucks ass.

    You realize that, if Cundiff makes that field goal in the third quarter, we only have to go about 10 more yards on our final drive for a chance to win the game?

    It's stuff like that that bothers me. Clean missed FG's are on nobody but the kicker. Bad snaps are on nobody but the center, although Weeden didn't help things. Mistakes cost us the game. We weren't outplayed at all by Jacksonville.

    Alex Mack makes a mistake, Billy Cundiff makes a mistake, Brandon Weeden makes 3 mistakes. That's a 15 point swing based solely on mistakes. Why not just forfeit the game if you're going to play like that.

  • I don't remember anyone jumping up for joy when cundiff was signed this year. he is an average kicker. do you feel comfortable him kicking at 45+ yards out?

  • @gftchris said:

    How many OG, ILB, WR and CB do we need?! Also, do we really need a kicker? Cundiff's done ok as far as I can see. Also, are you assuming we're not resigning alex mack?

    I agree CLE needs a new kicker. Cundiff's a ticking time bomb. Anyway, I'd draft Carlos Hyde w/ the 1st pick and the BQBA with the 2nd pick (Hundley? Manziel? Mariota?)

    I'm not sold on any QB enough to spend a first on them.

    Assuming that Junior Sammy Watkins (WR) declares, I am hopeful that either he or Anthony Barr (OLB) are still on the board come time for our first pick. I doubt both will be, but if they are, then I draft Watkins. Sammy is an instant 1B to Gordon's 1A... and will push Josh for the 1A.

    Come time for our 2nd First round pick I'm open to tabbing an OG. Either Richardson (Baylor) or Martin (ND) should be there. I actually like Martin better, even though he's playing LT on the ND line. I think our interior O-line is a major area of concern. Either of the above are instant starters and add depth from the top.

    Note: Franchise Mack for a year and hope progress is enough to convince him to stay.

    Round 2 and beyond are becoming nightmares for me as many of my early season favs for the mid-rounds (3 to 5) have risen all the way to the 2nd. Anyway mid-rounders include:

    • AJ McCarron (QB) - easy pick in the 3rd, but now he's projected as a 2nd rounder.
    • Jason Abbrederis (WR-Wis) - love this kid as our new "possession WR"; started out as a 4th, now a 2/3
    • James White (RB-Wis) - still a third; nice hybrid back ala Ray Rice

    More later...

    @koalabazooka said:

    Anyway, I'd draft Carlos Hyde w/ the 1st pick ...

    Hyde with our first First? Koala humor?

    @navysteve_browns4life said:

    It's draft's like yours that got us in the mess we are today.

    Like whose? There have been a couple listed in the thread.

    We're at the top of the league in sacks given up. Our run blocking is terrible, no disgraceful !

    As LBC pointed out these are points that support drafting O-line...

    Our defense is fine.

    No it's not... our LBs have proved to be inadequate and that's a situation that is intolerable in a 3-4.

  • I'm not sold on any QB enough to spend a first on them.

    Assuming that Junior Sammy Watkins (WR) declares, I am hopeful that either he or Anthony Barr (OLB) are still on the board come time for our first pick. I doubt both will be, but if they are, then I draft Watkins. Sammy is an instant 1B to Gordon's 1A... and will push Josh for the 1A.

    Come time for our 2nd First round pick I'm open to tabbing an OG. Either Richardson (Baylor) or Martin (ND) should be there. I actually like Martin better, even though he's playing LT on the ND line. I think our interior O-line is a major area of concern. Either of the above are instant starters and add depth from the top.

    Note: Franchise Mack for a year and hope progress is enough to convince him to stay.

    Round 2 and beyond are becoming nightmares for me as many of my early season favs for the mid-rounds (3 to 5) have risen all the way to the 2nd. Anyway mid-rounders include:

    • AJ McCarron (QB) - easy pick in the 3rd, but now he's projected as a 2nd rounder.
    • Jason Abbrederis (WR-Wis) - love this kid as our new "possession WR"; started out as a 4th, now a 2/3
    • James White (RB-Wis) - still a third; nice hybrid back ala Ray Rice

    More later...

    @koalabazooka said:

    Anyway, I'd draft Carlos Hyde w/ the 1st pick ...

    Hyde with our first First? Koala humor?

    @navysteve_browns4life said:

    It's draft's like yours that got us in the mess we are today.

    Like whose? There have been a couple listed in the thread.

    We're at the top of the league in sacks given up. Our run blocking is terrible, no disgraceful !

    As LBC pointed out these are points that support drafting O-line...

    Our defense is fine.

    No it's not... our LBs have proved to be inadequate and that's a situation that is intolerable in a 3-4.

    @tour2ma said:

    I'm not sold on any QB enough to spend a first on them.

    Assuming that Junior Sammy Watkins (WR) declares, I am hopeful that either he or Anthony Barr (OLB) are still on the board come time for our first pick. I doubt both will be, but if they are, then I draft Watkins. Sammy is an instant 1B to Gordon's 1A... and will push Josh for the 1A.

    Come time for our 2nd First round pick I'm open to tabbing an OG. Either Richardson (Baylor) or Martin (ND) should be there. I actually like Martin better, even though he's playing LT on the ND line. I think our interior O-line is a major area of concern. Either of the above are instant starters and add depth from the top.

    Note: Franchise Mack for a year and hope progress is enough to convince him to stay.

    Round 2 and beyond are becoming nightmares for me as many of my early season favs for the mid-rounds (3 to 5) have risen all the way to the 2nd. Anyway mid-rounders include:

    • AJ McCarron (QB) - easy pick in the 3rd, but now he's projected as a 2nd rounder.
    • Jason Abbrederis (WR-Wis) - love this kid as our new "possession WR"; started out as a 4th, now a 2/3
    • James White (RB-Wis) - still a third; nice hybrid back ala Ray Rice

    More later...

    Hyde with our first First? Koala humor?

    He's the best RB, don't you think?

  • who wants a kicker next year. Who felt we might of got the FG in the game today?

  • At first I thought we were almost there. But, with each passing game and as the losing streak continues to extend the list needed to fix this team grows longer and longer. At this rate by the time the draft comes around I'm not sure anyone will be safe, we may need a whole new team. This team has really, really let me down. Time to burn one and forget about this game with a nice game of Madden, the only place the Browns ever win...

  • ...actually, I'm kind of sick of football, really...

  • Please look at my list that people laughed about.

  • It's draft's like yours that got us in the mess we are today. I'm not knocking your opinion or anything bro, but we have 3 positions on our line that are either first or second round picks. The two most important, LT and Guard, are first rounders. It's fine that our guards are later rounds because Mack doubles down a lot and hides their weaknesses. When was the last time a lineman won Super Bowl MVP?

    We're at the top of the league in sacks given up. Our run blocking is terrible, no disgraceful ! We need to after skill positions, people that touch the ball on almost every play. QB, WR, RB in that order with the top 3 picks....no messing around Cleveland! You need a quarterback, draft one with the first pick. Look what Gordon can do with three different starting qb's ? He's a beast!

    You win games by scoring early and often. If it's down to the last possession and your team is down, you need the offensive weapons to move down the field and score. Many games come down to this situation and usually the offense either drives and scores, or the offense beats itself. Cleveland's offense needs those skill players to put points on the board. We get a holding call on first down - drive ends. We get flagged on illegal procedure on third and shorty to make it third and long - drive ends. We get a personal foul on any down - drive ends. We ALWAYS beat ourselves.

    Our defense is fine. Fill out positions of need in the later rounds but I don't see us going anything less than Offense, Offense, Offense with our first three pics at a minimum, and not lineman at that, skill positions that defenses game plan for and lose sleep over.

    @navysteve_browns4life said:

    It's draft's like yours that got us in the mess we are today. I'm not knocking your opinion or anything bro, but we have 3 positions on our line that are either first or second round picks. The two most important, LT and Guard, are first rounders. It's fine that our guards are later rounds because Mack doubles down a lot and hides their weaknesses. When was the last time a lineman won Super Bowl MVP?

    We're at the top of the league in sacks given up. Our run blocking is terrible, no disgraceful ! We need to after skill positions, people that touch the ball on almost every play. QB, WR, RB in that order with the top 3 picks....no messing around Cleveland! You need a quarterback, draft one with the first pick. Look what Gordon can do with three different starting qb's ? He's a beast!

    You win games by scoring early and often. If it's down to the last possession and your team is down, you need the offensive weapons to move down the field and score. Many games come down to this situation and usually the offense either drives and scores, or the offense beats itself. Cleveland's offense needs those skill players to put points on the board. We get a holding call on first down - drive ends. We get flagged on illegal procedure on third and shorty to make it third and long - drive ends. We get a personal foul on any down - drive ends. We ALWAYS beat ourselves.

    Our defense is fine. Fill out positions of need in the later rounds but I don't see us going anything less than Offense, Offense, Offense with our first three pics at a minimum, and not lineman at that, skill positions that defenses game plan for and lose sleep over.

    you just described why we need OL help in the draft.

    re-read your own post and it somehow magically translates to, no pass protection, no run blocking no time for our receivers to get open.

    uhhhh.................?????????????????????

    i guarantee you whatever FO we have ever for this team always chokes on the 'franchise QB' pick. always.

    except couch. you know why he didn't last? BECAUSE WE HAD NO FUCKING OFFENSIVE LINE!!!!!

  • With a move to LA

  • I live in Long Beach and no way the Browns move to LA. LA does not deserve a football team. Fucking flip flop fans.

  • who wants a kicker next year. Who felt we might of got the FG in the game today?

    @lbc-mike said:

    who wants a kicker next year. Who felt we might of got the FG in the game today?

    I am not sure how to take your comment, but a 59 yard field goal is beyond "expecting" to make. If people do, they probably also expect to find money under the pillow if they lose a tooth.

  • Oh, lord. What a Cleveland draft that would be. Thankfully, not THIS brass.

    No, guard isn't our biggest need. We'll be adding Pinkston and Faulk to Greco and Lauvao next year, plus maybe a free agent. We're good there. If anything, I'm concerned that Schwartz really struggles with speed. But that's RT, not like trying to find a franchise QB.

    This team is highly competitive whenever we get even competent QB play (and we got way more today). Like 9 or 10 win competitive. If we got a great quarterback and maybe a bellcow running back, I'd say this exact team wins 10-11 games. We obviously don't really have a shortage of people to throw the ball to, but I'm still good with adding a receiver somewhere.

    Our defense is playoff caliber and we may have found this year's Tashaun Gipson in Jordan Poyer. He had a terrific game (6 tackles) playing mostly safety. He's a corner by trade, with size. He's moved past Bademosi already.

    It's quarterback and then blah-blah-blah. I just don't think there's a shred of doubt about that. We'll upgrade at RB and WR, probably look at a veteran OL, maybe bring in a serious ILB for rotation and competition... but that's not high first round stuff.

    Hundley asked for his draft evaluation. I think he's coming out. Puts Carr and Hundley as most likelies.

    Man, in games without cracked ribs, Campbell looks damn good. Tough to say I'd sit him for Hoyer. They'll have to compete to see who starts the opener but I bet Josh would prefer Campbell for the long balls.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I'm not sold on any QB enough to spend a first on them.

    Assuming that Junior Sammy Watkins (WR) declares, I am hopeful that either he or Anthony Barr (OLB) are still on the board come time for our first pick. I doubt both will be, but if they are, then I draft Watkins. Sammy is an instant 1B to Gordon's 1A... and will push Josh for the 1A.

    Come time for our 2nd First round pick I'm open to tabbing an OG. Either Richardson (Baylor) or Martin (ND) should be there. I actually like Martin better, even though he's playing LT on the ND line. I think our interior O-line is a major area of concern. Either of the above are instant starters and add depth from the top.

    Note: Franchise Mack for a year and hope progress is enough to convince him to stay.

    Round 2 and beyond are becoming nightmares for me as many of my early season favs for the mid-rounds (3 to 5) have risen all the way to the 2nd. Anyway mid-rounders include:

    • AJ McCarron (QB) - easy pick in the 3rd, but now he's projected as a 2nd rounder.
    • Jason Abbrederis (WR-Wis) - love this kid as our new "possession WR"; started out as a 4th, now a 2/3
    • James White (RB-Wis) - still a third; nice hybrid back ala Ray Rice

    More later...

    Hyde with our first First? Koala humor?

    He's the best RB, don't you think?

    @koalabazooka said:

    (Hyde's) the best RB, don't you think?

    I'm not sure. He well may be the best collegiate RB. But even if he is, that does not mean he projects to be being the best NFL RB prospect.

    @shep said:

    Oh, lord. What a Cleveland draft that would be. Thankfully, not THIS brass.

    No, guard isn't our biggest need. We'll be adding Pinkston and Faulk to Greco and Lauvao next year, plus maybe a free agent. We're good there. If anything, I'm concerned that Schwartz really struggles with speed. But that's RT, not like trying to find a franchise QB.

    This team is highly competitive whenever we get even competent QB play (and we got way more today). Like 9 or 10 win competitive. If we got a great quarterback and maybe a bellcow running back, I'd say this exact team wins 10-11 games. We obviously don't really have a shortage of people to throw the ball to, but I'm still good with adding a receiver somewhere.

    Never said OG was our biggest need. My "draft" is about players I like being available at times we are likely to have picks. In case you missed it, my high 1st rounder was either Watkins or Barr. Our second #1, the one where I tabbed an OG, should be around #27 overall. That's a late 1st round pick.

    Again... I'll say very clearly that I do not see a 1st round worthy QB in the draft. Additionally given Campbell's healthy performances in addition to the glimpse at Hoyer potential, I do not see an urgent QB need. But even if I saw need at QB, no amount of it will make me see talent in the draft that is not there.

    Any top ten pick should be ready to start game one year one. If the degree of QB talent you see yields us merely one added win one or more years down the line, I think you are either seriously underestimating the value of our top pick or overvaluing the QB talent in the draft or both.

    We agree that Schwartz has a weakness. A recovered Chris Faulk, who played both LT and RT at LSU, is as likely to be the Schwartz upgrade as he is an OG. Either of the OG prospects I tabbed are instant starters in our line.

    We still have 5 months of this back and forth before we find out who is more in tune with our FO.

  • After seeing yesterday's game I believe a High High priority should be an inside linebacker that can really cover. The one guy that perhaps hurt the Browns most was the Pats back out of the backfield....Vereen I think got like 12 catches for nearly 150 yards....because DQJ and Robertson cannot cover.

    Because I am familiar with him being an Ohio State fan, I would be knocking myself out to get Ryan Shazier.....though, perhaps any one of you may have an idea if there is a better cover ILB in this draft?