Skip to content

Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Class

Barber Shop Talk
98 12 8.8k
  • I won't get into any matters of taste but I never thought Linda Ronstadt was that important or influential. Madonna certainly was and is. I would also think that Todd Rundgren has made enough of an impact on the industry to be included.

    WSS

    Bob806B Bob806 wrote on last edited by Bob806
    #43

    @westside-steve said:

    I won't get into any matters of taste but I never thought Linda Ronstadt was that important or influential. Madonna certainly was and is. I would also think that Todd Rundgren has made enough of an impact on the industry to be included.

    WSS

    Didn't Todd Rundgren play/compose every instrument on "A Wizard/A True Star?" If that's true, I bet he's the only musician to do something like that ever.

    FYI...I like Paul Rogers over Freddy Mercury, but maybe Jim Morrison had a better voice than either of those 2.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
    #44

    Jim was a crooner. I don't think you could compare him to either Rodgers or Mercury. He didn't have the range. A better comparison might be the guys he undoubtably listened to as a kid. He did have a memorable voice. I can't agree or fathom anyone thinking Rodgers has a better voice than Mercury but as Steve says, its art. I might not be able to imagine what anyone sees in Jackson Pollock but theres a huge Pollock hanging in the lobby at MOMA so somebody must think something of him

  • Jim was a crooner. I don't think you could compare him to either Rodgers or Mercury. He didn't have the range. A better comparison might be the guys he undoubtably listened to as a kid. He did have a memorable voice. I can't agree or fathom anyone thinking Rodgers has a better voice than Mercury but as Steve says, its art. I might not be able to imagine what anyone sees in Jackson Pollock but theres a huge Pollock hanging in the lobby at MOMA so somebody must think something of him

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #45

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Jim was a crooner. I don't think you could compare him to either Rodgers or Mercury. He didn't have the range. A better comparison might be the guys he undoubtably listened to as a kid. He did have a memorable voice. I can't agree or fathom anyone thinking Rodgers has a better voice than Mercury but as Steve says, its art. I might not be able to imagine what anyone sees in Jackson Pollock but theres a huge Pollock hanging in the lobby at MOMA so somebody must think something of him

    It's all a load of pollocks 😉

    I'm yet to find someone that matches freddy mercury's talent for singing, songwriting, music and showmanship all in one. There might be a better singer, or a better showman, but freddy had it all and was at or near the top in them all.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Jim was a crooner. I don't think you could compare him to either Rodgers or Mercury. He didn't have the range. A better comparison might be the guys he undoubtably listened to as a kid. He did have a memorable voice. I can't agree or fathom anyone thinking Rodgers has a better voice than Mercury but as Steve says, its art. I might not be able to imagine what anyone sees in Jackson Pollock but theres a huge Pollock hanging in the lobby at MOMA so somebody must think something of him

    It's all a load of pollocks 😉

    I'm yet to find someone that matches freddy mercury's talent for singing, songwriting, music and showmanship all in one. There might be a better singer, or a better showman, but freddy had it all and was at or near the top in them all.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #46

    @gftchris said:

    It's all a load of pollocks 😉

    I'm yet to find someone that matches freddy mercury's talent for singing, songwriting, music and showmanship all in one. There might be a better singer, or a better showman, but freddy had it all and was at or near the top in them all.

    Maybe....Elvis? (though I don't know if Elvis wrote any of his songs)

  • @gftchris said:

    It's all a load of pollocks 😉

    I'm yet to find someone that matches freddy mercury's talent for singing, songwriting, music and showmanship all in one. There might be a better singer, or a better showman, but freddy had it all and was at or near the top in them all.

    Maybe....Elvis? (though I don't know if Elvis wrote any of his songs)

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @the-gipper said:

    Maybe....Elvis? (though I don't know if Elvis wrote any of his songs)

    I don't think Elvis was as skilled a musician as freddy, in terms of instruments, but I'll admit I don't know too much about him.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Maybe....Elvis? (though I don't know if Elvis wrote any of his songs)

    I don't think Elvis was as skilled a musician as freddy, in terms of instruments, but I'll admit I don't know too much about him.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @gftchris said:

    I don't think Elvis was as skilled a musician as freddy, in terms of instruments, but I'll admit I don't know too much about him.

    Elvis played guitar and piano. What else would you like him to play?

  • @gftchris said:

    I don't think Elvis was as skilled a musician as freddy, in terms of instruments, but I'll admit I don't know too much about him.

    Elvis played guitar and piano. What else would you like him to play?

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @the-gipper said:

    Elvis played guitar and piano. What else would you like him to play?

    Harpsichord, clarinet and triangle.

    I just get the impression that FM was one of those guys who could just pick up and play any kind of instrument you gave him, and in a week be at a very high level.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Jim was a crooner. I don't think you could compare him to either Rodgers or Mercury. He didn't have the range. A better comparison might be the guys he undoubtably listened to as a kid. He did have a memorable voice. I can't agree or fathom anyone thinking Rodgers has a better voice than Mercury but as Steve says, its art. I might not be able to imagine what anyone sees in Jackson Pollock but theres a huge Pollock hanging in the lobby at MOMA so somebody must think something of him

    It's all a load of pollocks 😉

    I'm yet to find someone that matches freddy mercury's talent for singing, songwriting, music and showmanship all in one. There might be a better singer, or a better showman, but freddy had it all and was at or near the top in them all.

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @gftchris said:

    It's all a load of pollocks 😉

    I'm yet to find someone that matches freddy mercury's talent for singing, songwriting, music and showmanship all in one. There might be a better singer, or a better showman, but freddy had it all and was at or near the top in them all.

    Michael Jackson is someone I'd put in Freddy's league, though I personally think mercury was the greatest of all time

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #51

    Freddy Mercury's favorite instrument was the skin flute........

  • Freddy Mercury's favorite instrument was the skin flute........

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Freddy Mercury's favorite instrument was the skin flute........

    I take it that you had intimate knowledge of that fact?

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #53

    Not me Gipper, but you on the other hand possibly........

  • F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    enough Fredeady already

    Journey should be in next, - Steve Perry no slouch either

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #55

    Steve Perry has also been replaced

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #56

    His voice is ok if you like high, shrieking banshees

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #57

    personally I think Steve Perry has a great voice which has gotten better through his solo career. I think Freddie Mercury has a great voice. I think we overlook another guy with a wonderful voice great song writing ability and most certainly an excellent performer. Elton John. Paul McCartney has a great voice. So does Eric Carmen.Lou Gramm has one of the best rock voices in the business so I'm not a big foreigner fan.

    IMO of course.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #58

    4bdfd610f28ba92f9e0ab589d43a9372.jpg

  • Steve Perry has also been replaced

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Steve Perry has also been replaced

    I am sorry, I have to stop believing you now.

    What is that you say? No, don't?

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    Steve Perry has also been replaced

    I am sorry, I have to stop believing you now.

    What is that you say? No, don't?

    The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @the-gipper said:

    I am sorry, I have to stop believing you now.

    What is that you say? No, don't?

    http://www.kansas.com/2013/08/23/2958948/journey-drummer-urges-fans-to.html

  • His voice is ok if you like high, shrieking banshees

    F FairHooker11 wrote on last edited by FairHooker11
    #61

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    His voice is ok if you like high, shrieking banshees

    I think Thailand guy Arniel Penida is the banshee, unlistenable.....

  • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #62

    Nirvana is the best and single most important band in the HOF.